Blogging Arctic Splendors cruise on the Navigator

Last year, when we were on the Explorer, we noted that the internet seemed better on the starboard side than on port. As our cabin was starboard, we were in luck. It appears that it's the same thing on the Navigator, but this time we're on port. So, we'll either need to keep our door propped open to get a good signal, or do what I'm doing right now--go to the Coffee Connection.

And, speaking of coffee, today was my first breakfast in La Veranda. Much to my surprise, the regular pouring coffee was not just drinkable, it was actually good! I've never been able to say that on any cruise ship.

A couple of days in, I'm still loving being back on the Navigator, but the more critical eye has kicked in. We've all discussed the ridiculous move of eliminating drawer space, so I won't beat that dead horse. We had an extra little dresser brought in to replace the side table in the sitting area, and between that, the one in the closet, and a hanging shelf that I brought, we have adequate storage for our longer cruise.

Another poor choice in the refurbishment is in Galileo's. The band stand has been moved from the corner to the center of the back of the room, completely blocking the rear view in that lounge. In a ship without a forward observation lounge, why would they eliminate the direct view from the rear lounge? You can still see out the side windows, or go to the outside deck, but this is primarily a cool-weather cruise (and indeed we are already in jackets, and we're still in the U.S.), so outdoor venues will be of limited use.

Finally, I got a good look at our bathtub, which has multiple cracks in the bottom. That's a bit of a surprise. I'd be reluctant to use it in its current condition. Fortunately, I'm not big on baths, but it's a surprise to see. I can't help but wonder if a past occupant used it for storage of something heavy. I'd like to think it hasn't been this way for an extended period.

But that 's it for the grousing. Everything else is terrific! There's been a couple of dishes at meals that have been misses, but most things have been great. The ship is lovely, and the people even lovelier. The entertainment so far has been good. All is well.

Oh, and the blog is updated: https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/

Blocking any view out of the back of Galileo’s is not only poor choice, but obviously decided by someone totally ignorant of this ship. Since I’m boarding in October, I’m highly perturbed.

Nuuk is one of those great surprises that cruising can bring--a place I'd never think to go, and that seemed like a port that's inserted just to break up a crossing turns out to be a delight! Although the weather was rainy and chilly, the town was lovely and bleak at once, the museum extremely well-done, and our guide was wonderfully informative.

To no one's surprise, we had to skip Paamiut today, so Nuuk will be our only Greenland stop. It was raining in Paamiut, which made for choppy seas that rendered tendering unsafe. So now we'll have three sea days until our first stop in Iceland. However, this evening the ship will cruise a scenic fjord as consolation, with onboard commentary from lecturer Michael Scott. And tomorrow we will, as planned, cruise Prince Christian Sound, again with Michael's commentary. I keep hearing how lovely it is, so am looking forward to it.

And, yes, the blog is updated with Nuuk. https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/

Thank you for a terrific blog post on Nuuk Crystal, and for adding beautiful photos that complemented well your descriptive prose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have left the spectacular Prince Christian Sound, and are now on our way to Iceland. We are sailing along beautiful, snow-covered landscape on gentle waves, enjoying a day at sea, with another tomorrow, before we reach Isafjordur.

If you have never cruised Prince Christian Sound, I encourage you to select a cruise that goes there. A few photos from the day are on my blog at https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/2018/07/sea-and-scenery.html

The weather for the sailing was great. Chilly, but not bone cold, with the sun shining and a few clouds: enough sun to keep us comfortable on deck, yet cloudy enough to keep the sun from interfering with photography. A nice narrative from Michael Scott as we went along capped it off.

Life on board continues to be good. We are sailing full, which means that venues can be a bit crowded on sea days, but not so much that we've ever not gotten into wherever we wanted to go. It did mean that, when we sailed the fjord yesterday, there were too many people in Galileo's to hear the narration there, and the open decks were too cold and wet to stay out for long. The bandstand and curtain behind it continue to be an annoyance as they block most of the rear view in Galileo's. Today they opened the curtain, but left an unusually opaque sheer closed, thus defeating the purpose of opening it. I'd have done a little self-help if the weather had been lousy, but today was a good day to be on deck, so I did not go boldly forth and open the sheer myself.

Dinner last night was a standout, with fresh local cod the featured item on the menu. A typo on the menu might have prevented some people from ordering it, as it stated that the cod would be boiled. Fortunately, a table-mate strongly questioned this, and after some back and forth it was determined that an "r" had been omitted, and the cod was in fact broiled. Much more appealing.

I do hope you mention the blocked view in the only lounge in your midcruise comments. We have been on Navigator 4 times and this is just beyond reason.

Correction...not only Lounge, but only one with a view. Blocking the view of the wake should be corrected.

Hope you enjoy Iceland. We certainly did last year.

I do hope you mention the blocked view in the only lounge in your midcruise comments. We have been on Navigator 4 times and this is just beyond reason.

I did. And will continue to hammer on it. Navigator has a dry dock next year, and I hope this will be addressed then. The change back to the side should not be difficult.

I did. And will continue to hammer on it. Navigator has a dry dock next year, and I hope this will be addressed then. The change back to the side should not be difficult.

WishIweretravelling - You piqued my interest! Could you tell me when, specifically, the Navigator goes into dry dock in 2019? I know I could probaby spend a while researching, but it's probably much faster/more efficient to ask you, if you happen to know offhand. Thanks much. :D

Just now getting caught up with your blog, Crystal, and quite enjoying it. We have been to all of your stops so far, and they are some of our favorites. The fermented shark isn't the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth--that honor goes to whale blubber, which you would have been able to sample had you not missed that tender port in Greenland--but it is right up there. The aquavit was the only thing that saved me.

I was just browsing a few blogs on my list and see that GirlAhead Global is on board Navigator too. For her (rather different) account, start here and progress through a few posts to catch up. We first came across her when we were staying at the Taj in Mumbai earlier in the year and were curious about who this (rather scruffy, we thought) woman was to be so feted by management wherever she went. Anyway, "luxury" is her watchword... wishiweretravelling, I know whose blog makes for a better read! Thank you x

(actually, it's not easy to move forward and backwards through the posts, might be easier to start here...)

Just got caught up on your wonderful blog! What a wonderful time you are having. We are looking forward embarking on the Navigator for the first time although a bit disappointed to hear about views blocked in the Galileo Lounge. We will be joining you in Dublin.

Just got caught up on your wonderful blog! What a wonderful time you are having. We are looking forward embarking on the Navigator for the first time although a bit disappointed to hear about views blocked in the Galileo Lounge. We will be joining you in Dublin.

Hi Luvwillow,

I am traveling with wishiwerecruising. We hang out in the Navigator Lounge before and after dinner. Hope to meet you!

WishIweretravelling - You piqued my interest! Could you tell me when, specifically, the Navigator goes into dry dock in 2019? I know I could probaby spend a while researching, but it's probably much faster/more efficient to ask you, if you happen to know offhand. Thanks much. :D

I don't know. The Cruise Consultant mentioned it in his talk, but didn't specify dates. He also apparently mentioned (I dozed through this part) that the Navigator is to become an expedition ship at some point in the future.

We are currently docked in Invergordon. I've decided to forego my excursion to Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness, since I've spent the past two days on lengthy bus rides and was not relishing another long day on a bus. Instead, I'll be walking into town once the rain lets up a bit.

While the weather has been cool and gray, the sights have been good. These northerly islands have interesting histories and beautiful scenery.

All continues to be well on the ship. We are in our second segment now, having said goodbye to some friends from the first one and hello to friends who boarded in Reykjavik. We are again sailing full.

During our stay in Reykjavik, Regent put on a great show in the city's new opera house for the full cruisers. A great dinner, an acrobatic show, and a deservedly popular Iceland singer made the evening.

Last night was our first dinner in Seta Mare. Unfortunately, it was a reminder of why we haven't bothered with it yet. While service was excellent, the food was not. I had the ciapino. The broth was well-flavored, but much of the seafood in it was dry and chewy. It was like they took the dregs of the seafood in stock to make it. Two at the table had the lamb chops, and were not impressed either. Fortunately, the food in Compass Rose continues to excel.

The blog has been updated with the Faroe Islands and Orkney Islands: https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/2018/07/north-winds-faroe-and-orkney-islands.html