Luminae and/or need specialty dining?

lozzie64

I like Luminae's service and the table spacing. If the OP is a foodie, I suspect some level of disappointment looms. I sometimes have to order from the MDR menu. I strongly suggest Murano for a very good experience at least once.

Before it actually opened, Luminae was made to sound really special. I can't recall exactly how or why except the chef was to get local products to prepare for dinner when in port. Am I dreaming? (It is possible:))

We really enjoy Murano. Its our fav.

Also the Lawn Club Grill is great

A few cruises back, we ate all dinners in specialty dining.. Sailed CC1 and with drink package/specialty dining all meals it was more economical than a suite.

That was before they eliminated UDP :(

Our thinking was that since we were eating in Luminae we were all READY dining in a specialty restaurant. I will admit....we did kinda want a change in the last few days of the cruise. Specially restaurants were all ready booked by then. Ended up going to Blu....a nice change up.

We've done a suite twice, and loved Luminae. I do not eat seafood, so often I would ask for the Blu menu from next door....no issues getting me anything I wanted....we booked a suite again.....pure R&R as it is our 7th time to Bermuda....

Bernadette

We just got off Solstice and ate in Luminae most nights and for breakfast. We love eating there. Very nice staff. For those that like fish dishes you will be happy. We are not seafood lovers so we ordered off the main dining room menu several nights. We normally do not stay in a suite but did this time. For us we did not feel the need for specialty dining. We were well taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like Luminae's service and the table spacing. If the OP is a foodie, I suspect some level of disappointment looms. I sometimes have to order from the MDR menu. I strongly suggest Murano for a very good experience at least once.

Before it actually opened, Luminae was made to sound really special. I can't recall exactly how or why except the chef was to get local products to prepare for dinner when in port. Am I dreaming? (It is possible:))

You aren’t dreaming - that was how it was sold to begin with! Nowadays you see the chefs taking back local produce and having them in the buffet - we’ve had some amazing produce there on recent cruises.

Wendy

Thanks everyone, I have a good picture now. Happy to have one night booked at Murano. One night might possibly be in Victoria anyway and we have one night late departure out of Juneau, so that leaves 4-5 dinners at Luminae with the 2 menus, that should keep me happy. Yes, I would describe myself as a foodie. Lots of research goes into the food section of my travels!

I have a dinner question, we booked a CC not a suite this time and received some great credits to use on speciality dinning.

We decided on the 7 meals with our 12 day cruise (630-830), do we need to make reservations once on board or do we just go to the restaurant we choose that night and will be seated?

Also I assume that the 7 night package can be used either as a lunch or a dinner as well?

Thanks in advance for your help....

I have a dinner question, we booked a CC not a suite this time and received some great credits to use on speciality dinning.

We decided on the 7 meals with our 12 day cruise (630-830), do we need to make reservations once on board or do we just go to the restaurant we choose that night and will be seated?

Also I assume that the 7 night package can be used either as a lunch or a dinner as well?

Thanks in advance for your help....

I see no response to your question, so here's what I believe occurs. For the first night you select a time to dine and a restaurant will be assigned to you. I wonder if that restaurant will be the least full or favored. Perhaps someone can advise. Then, you will be contacted by a maître d' hotel to choose restaurants and times for the rest of the cruise.

Incidentally, I think you have done well in choosing a CC with specialty dining rather than a suite.

I guess I am in the minority. I was not a big fan of Luminae. The service was better, as was the wine selection, but was not a big fan of the food. In fact, DH and I ended up ordering off the MDR menu for probably 3 or 4 of the 7 nights we ate in Luminae.

That said, we REALLY enjoyed the whole suite experience, which is one we can only afford every now and then.

Quite satisfied with meal choices in luminae but I don't have a problem ordering off the mdr menu to supplement my choices[emoji3]... I've not been on reflection before and I'm a little concerned about the number of suites vs the number of tables/size of luminae....Anyone have any issues with getting a table/service or is luminae larger on reflection... Sailing in Nov....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quite satisfied with meal choices in luminae but I don't have a problem ordering off the mdr menu to supplement my choices[emoji3]... I've not been on reflection before and I'm a little concerned about the number of suites vs the number of tables/size of luminae....Anyone have any issues with getting a table/service or is luminae larger on reflection... Sailing in Nov....

It's not larger but we had no problem with getting a table whenever we wanted on Reflection in 2016.

• 6 months later...

I found this thread very helpful. I booked a 7 day Caribbean cruise in March 2020. This will be my first time sailing with Celebrity, though I’ve sailed several times before with Holland America. I booked the Sky Suite and was researching whether I should try some of the specialty restaurants or stick with Luminae. Sounds like Luminae is pretty good (which is a relief, because I used the cost savings from booking specialty restaurants daily as an argument for booking a suite!!). Playing around online it looks like there is a discount offered for the first night at the speciality restaursnts, so I may do that for the first night just to try it out and then stick with Luminae for the rest of the cruise. 

Food is personal preference. We like the luminae for breakfast and lunch on sea days (great service.) The menu for dinner in hit or miss and it depends on the chef and how he prepares the dish even though the menu is set by Celebrity. We now book specialty restaurant for all but two  days of the cruise allowing one day for the chef’s table and one for sushi on 5. If you watch for special discounts on dinner packages you can get the upcharge down to about $23 per person for the cruises 10 days or longer. Our favorite specialty restaurants are Murano followed by Tuscan and we skip the others.  If you can afford a suite, the marginal extra cost is worth the specialty restaurant upcharge. 

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:47 PM, lozzie64 said:

Thanks everyone, sounds great. I feel like I made the right decision not buying a specialty package and just one night at Murano. Always look forward to a bit of lobster if it's on a menu so I should come across it at some point.

The table side lobster at Murano is AMAZING!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, ryansmousehouse said:

Quite satisfied with meal choices in luminae but I don't have a problem ordering off the mdr menu to supplement my choicesemoji3.png... I've not been on reflection before and I'm a little concerned about the number of suites vs the number of tables/size of luminae....Anyone have any issues with getting a table/service or is luminae larger on reflection... Sailing in Nov....

We were on the Reflection for Christmas and New Years... Full Boat both sailings and a lot of families.  Always Great service in Luminae.  No need to be concerned.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:47 PM, DC1979 said:

I found this thread very helpful. I booked a 7 day Caribbean cruise in March 2020. This will be my first time sailing with Celebrity, though I’ve sailed several times before with Holland America. I booked the Sky Suite and was researching whether I should try some of the specialty restaurants or stick with Luminae. Sounds like Luminae is pretty good (which is a relief, because I used the cost savings from booking specialty restaurants daily as an argument for booking a suite!!). Playing around online it looks like there is a discount offered for the first night at the speciality restaursnts, so I may do that for the first night just to try it out and then stick with Luminae for the rest of the cruise. 

First night in luminae is a filet that is excellent, I would not miss that, there were specials on my last cruise in some of the specialty restaurants.