***HAL's website - what a mess!

Hal&Rob

I spent about 2 hours today researching and weeding my way through HAL's site to compare cabin availability/prices for 2 adjoining cabins for Spring 2019... 2 hours on just ONE cruise. I was able to do it and even see all available cabins on the section/deck (after much wailing and gnashing of teeth). This used to be a much simpler process.

Is this a deliberate strategy on the part of HAL? To what purpose?

Very possibly. But to what end, who knows, maybe force us to call them?? When I am in research phase I never call unless I have exhausted all means of finding my answers with no results or leads... and THAT is highly unlikely!

If you have a booking, are logged in and have clicked on Explore EXC Tours, then Download Personalized eBrochure, when you click on Open Personalized eBrochure you should see a document that contains all of the excursions for all of the ports on your cruise. You can browse it there or download it.

If that isn't working for you, perhaps you could give a detailed step-by-step overview of how you are approaching this. We might be able to identify a problem.

I did exactly as you described above (several times over several days). Windows 10, Chrome browser on Surface Pro 4.

Ka - how far did you get? At what point did the steps not work.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. The eBrochure is quite useful, 68 pages for my 14 night Baltics cruise.

I got all the way through to the last step. When I clicked "Open Personalized eBrochure" nothing happened.

Just a thought: do you have a pop up blocker on? An ad blocker? I'm trying to puzzle through the logic of it creating a personalized brochure for you but not letting you open it.

I have found that it is easiest and cheaper to book HAL cruisers from other 3rd party travel agency

Even calling and getting a live person does not help.

I too agree the HAL website is the worst I have seen.

So HAL would rather have people book via OTA and pay 15% or more commissions which could easily be $1000 ++ per booking than hire competent people to design a website that is as easy to use as dozens of OTA sites. Makes zero sense from customer service and financial point of view. Very poor management to allow that to happen.

Latest problem with the HAL website:

DH and I have the identical number of days on HAL. Even so, when I look up a cruise under my Mariner number, I get a lower price than when I look it up under his Mariner number. His is the same price as if no Mariner number was imput.

Soooo, I look up a cruise three (3) times, to see which is better price-wise. Such a waste of my time!

Anyone have this problem?

Latest problem with the HAL website:

DH and I have the identical number of days on HAL. Even so, when I look up a cruise under my Mariner number, I get a lower price than when I look it up under his Mariner number. His is the same price as if no Mariner number was imput.

Soooo, I look up a cruise three (3) times, to see which is better price-wise. Such a waste of my time!

Anyone have this problem?

I always seem to get the same price whether or not I include my number, but I've never tried booking using DW's number. Honestly, nothing surprises me with this iteration of the website.

I always seem to get the same price whether or not I include my number, but I've never tried booking using DW's number. Honestly, nothing surprises me with this iteration of the website.

Thanks for your post.

Several cruises I am looking at come up lower in price with a Mariner number. These cruises are usually not far out, under 4 months. I do see some that do not have different pricing with the Mariner number.

I like to go into the booking process with a TA knowing HAL's numbers, so I pay a lot of attention. I thought it used to be difficult sometimes, but now......!!!

I’m not a fan of clicking and clicking again and again.

The itinerary photos are too large, take a long time loading on my iPad and don’t really provide the itinerary. To get the itinerary, one must click. Then I’ve been unable to get out of the current booking even using back, back, back.

Finding a cabin is difficult. One is given one choice in a category. If you have a cabin number you might find out it is or is not available. Do you want a different category, look at a website that gives you all cabins remaining, then enter the cabin number and you might get a price.

I booked and have since found out i need to call to get the sale offered - even though a bit more, the OBC and gratuities are worth the price increase. The booking was made via a HAL travel planner who didn’t discuss rate differences.

The website is clunky. As I use it more, I’m getting the hang of it. However, why should anyone need to spend a week looking for a cruise to learn how to work around the website? Stupid.

I’m not a fan of clicking and clicking again and again.

The itinerary photos are too large, take a long time loading on my iPad and don’t really provide the itinerary. To get the itinerary, one must click. Then I’ve been unable to get out of the current booking even using back, back, back.

Finding a cabin is difficult. One is given one choice in a category. If you have a cabin number you might find out it is or is not available. Do you want a different category, look at a website that gives you all cabins remaining, then enter the cabin number and you might get a price

I booked and have since found out i need to call to get the sale offered - even though a bit more, the OBC and gratuities are worth the price increase. The booking was made via a HAL travel planner who didn’t discuss rate differences.

The website is clunky. As I use it more, I’m getting the hang of it. However, why should anyone need to spend a week looking for a cruise to learn how to work around the website? Stupid.

Good post. I agree.

I would like to be able to scroll more, rather than click on everything.

And an old fashioned itinerary, just the facts: a list with day, time, port. I hate having to click through a long itinerary! Even with a short one it is annoying.

A more adult orientation would be nice, fewer photos in the way, more print, a smoother way to get through a page.

Good post. I agree.

I would like to be able to scroll more, rather than click on everything.

And an old fashioned itinerary, just the facts: a list with day, time, port. I hate having to click through a long itinerary! Even with a short one it is annoying.

A more adult orientation would be nice, fewer photos in the way, more print, a smoother way to get through a page.

There is a growing consensus about what is wrong with the design of new website, beyond its ongoing technical issues, failed links and missing information. You summed it up well.

I did exactly as you described above (several times over several days). Windows 10, Chrome browser on Surface Pro 4.

Me also. Very frustrated. I need the brochure downloaded. They keep saying it’s not working and to check back later [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me also. Very frustrated. I need the brochure downloaded. They keep saying it’s not working and to check back later [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously you two over-loaded the system. Two people trying to access the same thing was just too much so it crashed . :rolleyes:

I agree with most here that the old site was far superior to the new one. On a positive note though, I was able to print our luggage tags on Saturday!

Congratulations on the luggage tags! That is quite an accomplishment and you have one less worry now!

Ka- check your tabs. The eBrochure opens on a new tab for me.

Seems your brochure is being created, but who knows where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me too.

when I checked my laptop's documents, I found about 4 downloaded documents as I had tried 4 times. Might be worth a try checking Ka.

Monday night 6/25 all Mariner accounts were deleted or vanished! Everything for all Mariners in my family disappeared! I agree with all - this website makeover continues to be a "MISS".

Yep according to the website I have never cruised with Holland EVER. So much for my 300+ days.

Pitiful execution of a website for a major corporation.

Yep according to the website I have never cruised with Holland EVER. So much for my 300+ days.

Pitiful execution of a website for a major corporation.

2rcvlog.png

Well, well . . .

Same thing for me!! What a wonderful job they did on this new website! :eek:

I checked the website and my Mariner status and cruise history has also disappeared. I know that many of you think that it’s a waste of time to send feedback to HAL, but I believe if they get swamped with negative comments it will help to get these things fixed. I provided feedback from the website “feedback” tab as well as a direct email to mariner_society@hollandamerica.com. I’m sure this is just one more glitch in the website but I advised them that they should at least put a banner on the website to communicate that the issues are being addressed. Otherwise, they will lose customers. Very frustrating regardless! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I checked the website and my Mariner status and cruise history has also disappeared. I know that many of you think that it’s a waste of time to send feedback to HAL, but I believe if they get swamped with negative comments it will help to get these things fixed. I provided feedback from the website “feedback” tab as well as a direct email to mariner_society@hollandamerica.com. I’m sure this is just one more glitch in the website but I advised them that they should at least put a banner on the website to communicate that the issues are being addressed. Otherwise, they will lose customers. Very frustrating regardless! [emoji35]

I just received an auto reply from the Mariner’s Society based on my e-mail. They say that I will be receiving a personal response from a representative once they research my comment/concern. Now we’ll see if I actually do get a response.