Price hike!

Loyalty match question: does MSC match your loyalty level on all your cruises with them, or only the first one? I've heard it's only the first one, but just want verification. Thanks!

-- Michael

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You will keep your matched level as long as you continue to cruise with them, I think it's at least once every three years to keep the status.

I’m still booking NCL. I’ve already booked the Spirit for next Summer.

When the itineraries were announced, all the talk on here was how expensive NCL were compared to the other lines. So, I did some price comparisons.

If there were just two of us then NCL did seem to be a bit more expensive than the other lines, but not by too much.

However, for three of us, they were just about the cheapest. Certainly cheaper than Princess and Royal Caribbean. About £1,000 (for a two week cruise) more expensive than whatever Thompson are called these days. That takes into account the perks that we receive and use.

The NCL itinerary is also, in my opinion, by far the best.

The prices have certainly gone up in the last year (by about 30%), but in our situation (a family of three who makes good use of the UBP), they have been very cheap I. The past few years. The majority of our cruises in the past couple of years have been at around the same price, or sometimes quite a bit cheaper, than we were paying 5 years ago.

We are also planning a few land trips for this year and next, and they are costing a lot more than we have been paying recently. Hotel prices have gone through the roof.

At the moment, NCL is still working for us. From looking at the competition (I haven’t compared MSC, it must be said) it seems that when we decide that they are too expensive that conclusion will apply to the others too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family is sailing the Bliss 15 day Panama Canal next March. We have sailed the Escape.

We just sailed the MSC Seaside in April. Everything about the Seaside was fantastic including the price. The food, entertainment, and service is much better than on NCL. Sorry, it's the truth. MSC and it's new Seaside are no joke and it was awesome. NCL's pricing is way up. Our NCL sailing is already up over $1K more than when we booked it last year. We just booked our first Celebrity Cruise last week for 2020. Celebrity is a step up from NCL and I'm going to give you a price comparison. If you booked the NCL Bliss for the 15 day Panama Canal right now for four people in a balcony cabin with drink package it's around $8800. We just booked a 12 day southern for four on Celebrity in a Verandah balcony and two drink packages for $6100. Yes, the PC cruise on NCL is 3 days longer but it would be $2700 more for it. We are taking both cruises but it shows you that the more budget minded lines like NCL aren't even as less expensive as Celebrity or other next level lines anymore. NCL may in fact be more expensive. We have sailed many lines and MSC is the best value while the others continue to raise prices. NCL is not on the level with Celebrity, Holland, or Princess. Better book all your cruises 2 years in advance now like we do because if you wait the prices are only going up. Prices for the Encore and only 7 days is stupid high and I would never pay it.

Edited by tallnthensome

No doubt prices have increased a bunch. We have one more cruise booked that now is $1200 more than what we booked for. I was booking 2 or maybe 3 cruises a year. At the moment, any I've researched we would be interested in, too expensive for me to justify. However, supply and demand. Good business practice says increase prices until you see a demand peak then hold there. Guess that's what NCL is doing.

This talk of Cruise lines going bust reminds be of a thread on this very board a couple of years ago.

Someone who outwardly sounded quite convincing (except that they were clearly talking nonsense) was saying that NCL has increased the prices to such an extent that nobody was paying it. Apparently, everyone knew that they were on the brink of bankruptcy, and would probably not last another year.

They got quite offensive when anyone disagreed and unfortunately got themselves banned from the board, which was a shame because they were very funny.

I note that NCL are still going. :)

What people are willing to pay for the Haven on NCL is shocking to me, almost stupid price wise. If NCL can get people to pay those prices, on NCL no less, they can get people to pay higher regular fares as well. I think most people are loyalists and will pay anything. I can't believe how many people do not shop around and sail multiple lines. So many cruisers only sail one line and even the same ship and itineray over and over. These loyalists accept price increases by their line of choice more easily. Shopping for the best deals and being willing to leave a specific cruise line in the review mirror will help lower prices. MSC Seaside should put a fear in the other lines for the value you get. It is a good thing for us cruisers to go where the deals are to deliver a message that we won't pay top dollar just because .... it's "bye" from us!

My wife and I have sailed with NCL many times. I am sure many have observed NCL’s pricing strategy has completely changed placing them in the upper end of the mass cruise market compared with the previous budget market. My question is, is anybody actually booking cruises at these prices and if so who? Should we just be waiting for a large price re-adjustment or perhaps time to look elsewhere.

IMO you need to look again. NCL is still one of the lowest priced mass market lines. As to whether or not people are booking, you only yneed to look at all the reports of NCL ships sailing at over 100% of double berth capacity. If you think NCL is over price, you should move on.

No doubt about it. MSC has the best deals at sea right now. Their marketing is to lure loyalists away from their preferred cruise line. Not only are the prices much cheaper, they will also honor your rewards program on your favorite line. So if you are platinum on NCL, they will honor it on their ships.

I was all prepared to book Seaside until I saw reviews. There are some things I am not crazy about with MSC ships. But you cant beat the price if you are cruising only for price.

I hope NCL drops the 5 *free* deals offer and goes back to bottom line pricing. But we know that will not happen soon. The bookings must be very strong otherwise they would have stopped it by now.

That is not what I am finding, especially if I add in the cost of the beverage package and the dining package. NCL is still a much better deal. If you don't want any perks then MSC might be better for you but if you compare total out of pocket costs when you walk off the ship, most of you will find that NCL is the better deal.

Unless NCL do reduce prices they will go bust I think. The Jade cruise I was on last month was not full despite the lies of the crew to the contrary it was about 3/4 full I was on the gem at christmas and that was full. The average price is nearly 200 to 250 pounds per day now for a 7 night cruise and it not worth that. They are in trouble in Europe for one thing. They can't fill the jade out of Southampton and are replacing it with the spirit. The Epic in Barcelona will not be able to compete with the Oasis of the seas next year. The drink package value of RCL is better value on NCL it is nearly 100 english pounds per person per day.

I have always said I think a cruise line will go bust and I think it will be NCL unfortunately.

You do realize their ships sail full, and they continually order new ships? They are far from going bust LOL

Someone in this very blog the other day, posted fares for 4 cruise lines, same basic itinerary, same week...they were amazingly close... not sure where this complaint comes from...this comparison was on one of the many UBP discussions...

I’ll add that you can’t compare prices on a brand new ship to an older ship on another line, people will pay more to sail a new ship, on all lines.

You can’t compare a canal cruise to a Caribbean cruise, apples to oranges..

Edited by PTC DAWG

This talk of Cruise lines going bust reminds be of a thread on this very board a couple of years ago.

Someone who outwardly sounded quite convincing (except that they were clearly talking nonsense) was saying that NCL has increased the prices to such an extent that nobody was paying it. Apparently, everyone knew that they were on the brink of bankruptcy, and would probably not last another year.

They got quite offensive when anyone disagreed and unfortunately got themselves banned from the board, which was a shame because they were very funny.

Was that the guy that pretended to be the doctor? I forget his name.

Just to put this thread into context, the OP is from the UK. Since our fares went all inclusive last year there has been a significant increase in fares. In my experience this has resulted in prices increasing by about 25-30%

People in the US will probably not have seen a comparable increase in the short term.

Based on my spending habits, this has resulted in prices having gone from being rather cheaper than the other lines to being rather more comparable, or a bit more expensive.

For those who do not get much value from the beverage package, the prices will very likely be more expensive compared to lines which don't include that cost in the fare.

Most of the world is currently experiencing a boom economy. Specifically, in the USA, unemployment is at near record lows and most major businesses have more jobs open than there are qualified people to fill. Disposable income is also at or near record levels for most families, particularly those in the top 20% income brackets. The tax cuts also have given many people extra spending money (example: my federal tax savings is $59 per week). Companies like NCL, Disney, Delta Airlines, Marriott, etc. all know this is happening and they are increasing their prices to increase their profit margins.

Once the next recession hits, the deals will come back from all of these companies for those people fortunate enough to still have a regular income and plenty of disposable income.

We're sailing on the Seaside in the Fall. Paying for a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite as much as it costs for a mini-suite on NCL.

NCL does a decent job and has a decent product but sometimes I look at the pricing and just shake my head. MSC matched out NCL status and my Marriott Platinum status so that was a nice add-on.

You can sail 3 weeks on the Seaside in a YC Deluxe Suite for the price of a Haven suite for 1 week on NCL. Why do people pay that price on NCL? Well, I think that besides extremely high season they don't come close to even filling up the Haven...that's why they let you upgrade for a few hundred bucks. Meanwhile MSC Yacht Club on the Seaside is usually sold out except for a few inside YC rooms.

MSC has 2 brand new ships sailing and have 2 more coming next year I believe...NCL better watch out.

Most of the world is currently experiencing a boom economy. Specifically, in the USA, unemployment is at near record lows and most major businesses have more jobs open than there are qualified people to fill. Disposable income is also at or near record levels for most families, particularly those in the top 20% income brackets. The tax cuts also have given many people extra spending money (example: my federal tax savings is $59 per week). Companies like NCL, Disney, Delta Airlines, Marriott, etc. all know this is happening and they are increasing their prices to increase their profit margins.

Once the next recession hits, the deals will come back from all of these companies for those people fortunate enough to still have a regular income and plenty of disposable income.

outstanding post and that possibly explains why many of those complaining about increases are not from America.

You do realize their ships sail full, and they continually order new ships? They are far from going bust LOL

They don't sail full all the time no one does and any company who says they are is a liar. If they are doing so well out of southampton then why move the jade to Rome and put the Spirit in southampton?. The relocation cruise from Miami to Southampton was 300 or so short of full they had about 2000 onboard according to the bartender who also told me my cruise to france and spain wasn't full.

I’ll add that you can’t compare prices on a brand new ship to an older ship on another line, people will pay more to sail a new ship, on all lines.

But the brand new MSC Meraviglia was still over $3000 cheaper than the Norwegian Epic for a week last summer.

Regarding the Seaside and the bad reviews. First, the reviews on a new ship are generally bad. They aren't anymore. The sewer smell was traced to an a/c problem, and has been totally fixed. We are going on the Divina for the second time in November.We are going on a 12 day for less then a 7 day on the Getaway. It also includes drinks.

But the brand new MSC Meraviglia was still over $3000 cheaper than the Norwegian Epic for a week last summer.
Good point to note. But unfortunately, Meraviglia does not have good reviews on CC.

So you do believe that a cruise line any cruise line will never go bust because the cruising market cannot continue to grow forever? Eventually it will go into decline as all things do. Maybe a smaller line will go bust or maybe a major one but some will eventually.

outstanding post and that possibly explains why many of those complaining about increases are not from America.

Thanks. And what you said about the not from America point-of-view is also true on other, similar discussion boards (i.e., Disney/Universal theme park boards). The guests from outside of the USA are the most vocal about the large theme park ticket price increases, the theme park resort hotel price increases, flights, etc.

So you do believe that a cruise line any cruise line will never go bust because the cruising market cannot continue to grow forever? Eventually it will go into decline as all things do. Maybe a smaller line will go bust or maybe a major one but some will eventually.

I have absolutely no long term view on whether a cruise line will go bust in the future. Odds say that one probably will at some point.

I suppose you could argue that the industry as a whole has invested heavily in new ships, so may be rather exposed to future falls in demand.

I also have spent absolutely zero time looking at the financial information of any cruise lines except for NCL. All I can say is that I haven’t heard anything to suggest that any are in difficulty.

As for NCL, from what I have seen of their finances, they look pretty solid to me. I don’t see that ambitious initial pricing is dangerous, as long as the pricing models allow for reductions to fill ships as the sail date gets closer (which is what they do).

My point was merely that the last person to make such predictions (although with a good deal more certainty than you are) was as wrong as people said he was at the time.

Edited by KeithJenner