Hiking in bear country

rsldonk

Going to Alaska on Westerdam in August and doing the cruise tour to Denali. I wanted to do some hiking there, especially since most is off trail. I am used to hiking in bear country and already have bear spray. Would I be allowed to bring this on the ship with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Instructions are offered to hikers in Alaska from many sources - what to do when encountering a bear. As I best recall, make noise, hold your hands above your head to appear larger, and back away facing the bear. Believe we saw bear spray in the sporting goods stores. Check in with the federal lands people and visitor centers for their exact information. And confirm with a qualified local about the use of bear spray.

No, the HAL prohibited list includes the following:

• Items containing Incapacitating Substances such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, pepper/mace cartridges, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable.

Instructions are offered to hikers in Alaska from many sources - what to do when encountering a bear. As I best recall, make noise, hold your hands above your head to appear larger, and back away facing the bear. Believe we saw bear spray in the sporting goods stores. Check in with the federal lands people and visitor centers for their exact information. And confirm with a qualified local about the use of bear spray.

Yeah I’m very familiar with the other things and the spray is a last option. I just didn’t want to drop another $50 for something I already have. But if it’s banned, no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wear bear bells (similar to this): https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Bear-Bell-Silencer-Pack/dp/B0064EHOQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529946307&sr=8-2&keywords=bear+bells

That being said, I always remember this joke:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

The answer to your question is no. You cannot take bear spray on board.

It sucks because I too like to hike and get off the beaten path. Luckily, I have friends up there who have loaned me their spray (and other protective devices that go boom).

Edited by Aquahound

If you are flying to your departure port, you probably won't be allowed to take bear spray onto the airplane. We researched it for a vacation last year to Banff, Alberta, and after seeing that it might not be a good idea to try to pack or carryon, we decided if we thought we needed the bear spray, we would just buy it there. Never did see any bears (yay!).

I laughed when I first saw the BEAR signs in Alaska, detailing what to do. (BUT IT IS NOT FUNNY!)Some of which is mentioned here already.

But, instead of backing away, etc...

It was a real eye-opener to see the last recommendation...

It starts with if you encounter a bear... then...

If the bear does this... then....

lastly...

If the bear starts eating you... FIGHT BACK... HARD!!!!!

We did see two docile smaller bears, on the roadside eating the dandelions, when driving over from Skagway to Emerald Lake. WOW!!!!! Probably more black bear than the big more aggressive grislys... We did pull over slowly, and were fairly close!!! They didn't seem phased... I actually rolled my window all the way down and was hanging well out of the car, getting some good photos... The whole time I was telling my husband to watch out, and if they even looked up or took one step towards us, to start pulling away!!!! Just don't kill me by gunning it before I am fully back inside the car window!!!

Tourists and Bears are never a good mix. I remember a news story some time back about all these tourists pulling over in Yellowstone to get a good glimpse of some Grizzly's on the side of the road. It was a disaster in the making, believe me.

I live close to bear country - have had news articles about bear break-ins here into homes & cabins. It has been a dry winter & spring, so they are going to do whatever it takes to find food. Didn't see it mentioned in any other post, but please, please do not have any food items, even in original wrappers, on your person. Their sense of smell is incredibly sensitive. And many of them are accustomed to being fed by tourists.

I see absolutely NO problem in slowing down or pulling over.

Exiting the vehicle.... Now THAT would be the disaster waiting to happen.

I wouldn't be brave enough to do that kind of hiking in Alaska!!!!

I have also lived near bear territory, in the East.

Less aggressive black bears.

I just heard from somebody that, back in E. Tennessee, a black bear was in a restaurant perking lot, and actually did some damage climbing all over some cars!!!!