Questions: Classes of Cruisers? Ocean Medallions? Private Clubs?

Lovincruisin1321

I have read all the FAQ on Princess website but there seems to be some vagueness about different class status on Princess.

Can someone please tell me where to see the details on this?

Bars and Lounges: Are there any bars and lounges that are exclusive to these special classes or can anyone use them?

Ocean Medallions: What is so special about this?

I am looking to sail on the Emerald Princess.

Bars and Lounges: Are there any bars and lounges that are exclusive to these special classes or can anyone use them?

\

Unlike RCI's Diamond and/or Suite Lounges, or Celebrity's Elite/Suite special free drinks time, Princess does not have those.

I have read all the FAQ on Princess website but there seems to be some vagueness about different class status on Princess.

No special "classes," just several tiers of number of cruises... If you are looking for a class system, Cunard would likely be better.

Not to worry about Ocean Medallion. The Emerald likely won't have it for a year or two. This hasn't yet be implemented fleetwide. If you wabt to know about it, check the Princess website.

I am happy to hear this. I have cruised on Celebrity several times and I resent the fact that I am not allowed in certain lounges because I am not in a higher category.

I look forward to sailing on the Emerald and experiencing the Princess cruise line! :)

Just about the only "class" distinction is that you can't go to the dining room that's designated "Club Class" unless you book a Club Class mini-suite or a full suite.

Both, of course, cost more.:eek:

As mentioned, there's a Suite/Elite/Platinum event that's generally held every day and unless you wander into the room where it's held (usually Skywalker's on most ships), you won't even know it's there.

Ocean Medallion is a system to control charges, open doors, etc. It does not represent a class of passenger in any way.

The only thing Princess has that roughly equates to classes is the loyalty program, based on number of cruises/nights on board you have completed. There are certain perks associated with the various levels. Beyond that, there are people who have chosen to purchase a suite--they get breakfast in a dining room that is otherwise one of the upcharge dining venues at night. Club Class dining is available to purchase by booking some mini-suites and all suites. You eat in a separate area of the MDRs with designated servers and a different color table cloth. It is the same menu as the MDR, with the exception that club class people are offered one extra entree each night.

There are no lounges, sun decks, or whatever that are restricted by your class of booking.

I agree that Celebrity basically has two separate groups of passengers based on how much you paid for your cruise. This isn't a loyalty program, but rather that those who pay more have separate dining rooms, lounges, sundecks, etc. Princess doesn't have that "feel" at all.

Edited by moki'smommy

I am happy to hear this. I have cruised on Celebrity several times and I resent the fact that I am not allowed in certain lounges because I am not in a higher category.

I look forward to sailing on the Emerald and experiencing the Princess cruise line! :)

Sorry for your resentment, but that is what loyalty programs are all about. Every cruise line does it their way. Princess has what it has, but doesn't give you free drinks. If you stay loyal, you eventually attain status and the various perks that go with it.

No classes on Princess. Loyalty benefits do not bring any class status only things like free laundry, some free internet, priority tender boarding plus a few more. No exclusive bars and lounges related to loyalty. There is a concierge lounge on Royal Class ships for passengers in full suites which has some fruits, coffee, tea, but it isn't a free or even exclusive bar. It actually isn't a bar at all. There is also Club Class dining for those in full suites and Club Class mini suites. The menu is the same as the MDR's except there is an extra selection.

Ocean Medallions is not really working. If and when it does work then we will find out if it is special or not.

You can find details on loyalty benefits by going to the Princess web site and under the heading contact us select Captain's Circle Benefits.

You can be sure that anyone who gets a benefit or perk that is not given to everyone paid a lot of money to get it.

I am happy to hear this. I have cruised on Celebrity several times and I resent the fact that I am not allowed in certain lounges because I am not in a higher category. :)

Regal / Royal have a suite lounge, with concierge.

Now you can be just as upset as you are with celebrity.

Suite passengers get to eat breakfast in a specialty restaurant with mimosas and the fancy coffee drinks included at no extra charge. It was one of the things we enjoyed the most when we took an upsell to a suite. The Concierge Lounge on the Royal had snacks available that changed throughout the day--breakfast type items in the morning, sandwiches and cookies from lunch through the afternoon. There was also a fancy coffee machine that passengers could use to make espresso and cappuccinos. They did not serve free alcoholic beverages in the lounge. On that cruise, we found ourselves hanging out with some fellow suite passengers we met by eating near them at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

You can be sure that anyone who gets a benefit or perk that is not given to everyone paid a lot of money to get it.

No different than airlines. You pay for first class, you get things that the folks in coach don't get

Edited by dns65

Sorry for your resentment, but that is what loyalty programs are all about. Every cruise line does it their way. Princess has what it has, but doesn't give you free drinks. If you stay loyal, you eventually attain status and the various perks that go with it.

The Celebrity restaurant and other access restrictions have nothing to do with loyalty. Book a higher priced type of cabin and you get to access them. Book an even higher class and get an even more exclusive experience.

Princess is quite egalitarian. Suite passengers are no "better" than the lowest priced interior cabin passengers. I like it that way. Yes, they have implemented Club Class dining and, on Royal class ships they do have a concierge lounge for suite passengers but, for the most part, everybody is equal on Princess ships. I can't really see any reason for "class" distinctions.

I love princess and the way that all pax are treated the same, blue card, black card (and inbetween) inside or suite. Makes no difference in how you are treated, where you can go, what you can do or your experience.

Love love love!

The Celebrity restaurant and other access restrictions have nothing to do with loyalty. Book a higher priced type of cabin and you get to access them. Book an even higher class and get an even more exclusive experience.

Bill, when you are Elite on Celebrity, there is a two hour happy hour wherein drinks are free. Same as RC Diamond, though RC does it bigger and better.