Formal Night Dilemma

BEAV

We embark Volendam in a few weeks, however will only be aboard for 3 nights as we leave the ship in Skagway for our 9-day HAL land tour. We are restricted as to the amount of luggage we can bring on the land tour and as a result will not travel with a sport coat. Slacks and collared shirts will be as dressy as it gets. On the one gala night should we avoid the MDR? I’m not a fan of dinner in the Lido, preferring a restaurant instead. Would Canaletto be an acceptable choice? I’m not keen on walking past tables of people gasping and whispering at our attire!

We embark Volendam in a few weeks, however will only be aboard for 3 nights as we leave the ship in Skagway for our 9-day HAL land tour. We are restricted as to the amount of luggage we can bring on the land tour and as a result will not travel with a sport coat. Slacks and collared shirts will be as dressy as it gets. On the one gala night should we avoid the MDR? I’m not a fan of dinner in the Lido, preferring a restaurant instead. Would Canaletto be an acceptable choice? I’m not keen on walking past tables of people gasping and whispering at our attire!

People will not be "gasping or whispering at your attire". Where did you get the idea that they would? Few bother doing more than what you are suggesting for yourself today. Sorry your imagination got the best of you.

If you add a tie to your slacks and dress shirt and eat before 7:00 you will be in the majority. Without a tie you will still have a lot of company. In other words, don't worry about it as long as you don't show up in shorts and tees.

Edited by catl331

People will not be "gasping or whispering at your attire". Where did you get the idea that they would? Few bother doing more than what you are suggesting for yourself today. Sorry your imagination got the best of you.

Lol! I was trying to use a little humor because I know how sensitive a subject dress code threads can become. I normally avoid them like the plague, but this time I was in the place where I needed to ask because it’s been 13 years since we last sailed HAL. :)

Lol! I was trying to use a little humor because I know how sensitive a subject dress code threads can become. I normally avoid them like the plague, but this time I was in the place where I needed to ask because it’s been 13 years since we last sailed HAL. :)

Yes, 13 years ago it was a very different scene and also had an enforced dress code. So there would have been no gasps either at that time because one not formally dressed to the guidance at that time would not have even entered the dining room.

Times have definitely changed as well as the printed guidelines for "Gala" Night. What you will see are those who still enjoy dressing up on that night. So no gasping at them either. Also the switch to any-time dining for the lower dining room has changed the overall feeling of the main dining room too. Far more casual for early and anytime dining - still a little more formal by choice for the upper dining room late fixed dining.

It will be a mixed bag of dress. Last November, my hubby took his tux. This November, he's not going to take it, just a suit. With the extra cost of bags on planes, and wanting a relaxing vacation, people aren't getting fancied up the way they did years ago. That said, you will find people dressed in their finest, but I think you'll find that's in the minority. Enjoy your cruise.

Although you would be hard pressed to find it on the new HAL website, no jacket required for "gala night".

Gala night attire per HAL:

"attire includes collared shirts and slacks for men in all fine dining restaurants, and dresses, skirts or slacks for women".

Have a great time

From the 2018 Know Before You Go:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable.

You'll be fine!

I'm not sure you'll have a gala night on the northbound trip. We were on Volendam last June, the last four days of the 15-day land-sea journey, and our gala night was the day we visited Ketchikan. Since there's only one gala night for every seven days of the trip, I think you may not get it during your three days northbound. Also, a couple of months ago on our 20-day Panama Canal trip, we were told that gala nights were only on sea days, and never the night before the trip ended. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure you'll have a gala night on the northbound trip. We were on Volendam last June, the last four days of the 15-day land-sea journey, and our gala night was the day we visited Ketchikan. Since there's only one gala night for every seven days of the trip, I think you may not get it during your three days northbound. Also, a couple of months ago on our 20-day Panama Canal trip, we were told that gala nights were only on sea days, and never the night before the trip ended. Hope this helps.

Very interesting! I had assumed there would be two gala nights on the 7-day voyage, the first one being on day #2 (inside passage/sea day). But i just look up our docs and it said 1 gala night, which I suspect pertains to the entire 7-day voyage, not just the 3 days we're aboard. I'll check some roll calls from previous 7-day Northbound trips to see if anyone can shed any light on which night was gala.

Thanks for all the replies. After a 13-year absence, we feel like HAL virgins again!

Very interesting! I had assumed there would be two gala nights on the 7-day voyage, the first one being on day #2 (inside passage/sea day). But i just look up our docs and it said 1 gala night, which I suspect pertains to the entire 7-day voyage, not just the 3 days we're aboard. I'll check some roll calls from previous 7-day Northbound trips to see if anyone can shed any light on which night was gala.

Thanks for all the replies. After a 13-year absence, we feel like HAL virgins again!

There have been many changes, more superficial than not - some good , some not so good. Can you share some the highlights that you remember about the experience from 13 years ago? Maybe we can ease the re-initiation. No more dancing waiters on the last night, no more onboard evaluation sheets, no more baked Alaska parades, lots of little things like that. Which ship were you on 13 years ago and which one now?

What has not changed is the friendly service and the very nice smiles and greetings across the ship. And the basic layouts. Decor has improved, food variety has changed immensely. Entertainment is mixed and they are now hitting another age group than in the past where it was mainly 1950's-60's music familiarity. Now when they claim they are doing "classics" I as a "war baby generation" recognize nothing.

The 1st gala night on your northbound sailing should be Thursday. There are still 2 gala evenings on 7 night sailings.

Since you are only onboard for 3 nights,I suspect that’s why your documents reflect that.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 1st gala night on your northbound sailing should be Thursday. There are still 2 gala evenings on 7 night sailings.

Since you are only onboard for 3 nights,I suspect that’s why your documents reflect that.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that. And, yes, we leave Vancouver on Wednesday so will plan on Thursday being a gala night.

There have been many changes, more superficial than not - some good , some not so good. Can you share some the highlights that you remember about the experience from 13 years ago? Maybe we can ease the re-initiation. No more dancing waiters on the last night, no more onboard evaluation sheets, no more baked Alaska parades, lots of little things like that. Which ship were you on 13 years ago and which one now?

What has not changed is the friendly service and the very nice smiles and greetings across the ship. And the basic layouts. Decor has improved, food variety has changed immensely. Entertainment is mixed and they are now hitting another age group than in the past where it was mainly 1950's-60's music familiarity. Now when they claim they are doing "classics" I as a "war baby generation" recognize nothing.

We sailed Maasdam in 2004 and Westerdam in 2005. We'll sail Volendam this time around. I do recall the universal friendly service which we look forward to again. Some of the low points were Dutch night and the hats (seemed cheesy!) and what I recall as rather drab decor aboard Maasdam (personal taste, of course). I've read good things about the entertainment lately, although I still like the classic of the 50's and 60's. This trip's prime focus is the land tour, however we're also looking forward to the short cruise. As a newly retired 60-year old, I'm looking at this "sampler" cruise as an opportunity to consider HAL's longer 30-day + grand voyages.

Since there's only one gala night for every seven days of the trip, ....

That's incorrect. 7-night cruises typically have 2 Gala nights. The Volendam 7-night Alaska cruise has had 2 Gala nights when I have taken it.

We sailed Maasdam in 2004 and Westerdam in 2005. We'll sail Volendam this time around. I do recall the universal friendly service which we look forward to again. Some of the low points were Dutch night and the hats (seemed cheesy!) and what I recall as rather drab decor aboard Maasdam (personal taste, of course). I've read good things about the entertainment lately, although I still like the classic of the 50's and 60's. This trip's prime focus is the land tour, however we're also looking forward to the short cruise. As a newly retired 60-year old, I'm looking at this "sampler" cruise as an opportunity to consider HAL's longer 30-day + grand voyages.

Volendam still retains much of the old classic HAL features and feel, but you will probably like the more coordinated decor and cabin refurbishments. Hope you have a wonderful trip and take notes about what you see that has changed. We have been watching the changes cruise by cruise, year by year. But your over decade "time warp" experience will be a very fresh perspective.

Won't there be a great many others doing exactly as you are doing, and having the same packing difficulties?

IMHO: Don't give it a thought! With the appropriate collar, appear clean and well-groomed to the dining room and enjoy your wonderful Gala Night dinner. Have a lovely cruise!

Won't there be a great many others doing exactly as you are doing, and having the same packing difficulties?!

My guess is somewhere between 40-80 people. From what info I’ve gathered is that HAL runs one or two buses for this tour.

Which brings up another curious question: Is there another group of people who finish a land tour in Skagway that board for the remaining four nights to Seward? Or do the rooms we vacate remain empty?

Which brings up another curious question: Is there another group of people who finish a land tour in Skagway that board for the remaining four nights to Seward? Or do the rooms we vacate remain empty?

There will be a group of land tour people replacing you on the ship, as you take their seats on the tour bus.

It's a very efficient operation.

If you want to dress things up without the bulk of a sports coat how about a nice vest? That is now my go-to for the dressier nights. And I found a place that has a huge selection in an amazing variety of colors and patterns, with matching ties and bowties available, at a very reasonable price. I bought a couple for sizing and my wife was impressed with the quality - and she has a good eye for that since her mom was a seamstress and she learned sewing at an early age. And vests are pretty compact to pack.

Wear collared shirt and slacks and you will be among the majority. Do not listen to those who talk about jackets and ties. They are becoming less and less noticeable.

The food doesn't taste any different if you have a tie on or not.

Just off the Konigsdam and saw everything from jeans to black tie on Gala nights. Maybe 2 or 3 black tie with the rest business casual or worse. You are severely overestimating the importance of attire.