currently on baltic cruise in aquaclass, vibration/shaking problems July 25th sailing

guy999

Leonardos palaiokrassas is the captain. We are out on your in Germany but when we were stopped no shaking so I don't know if it's generators because it's still pretty hot and I would expect they would need to run the power the whole time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you book this through a travel agent? I find that many travel agents have enough clout that they can resolve these issues by speaking to higher ups at a company. I know it’s not the same situation, but years ago my husband and I were in a foreign country with a significant language barrier and ended up with a room at our hotel that was woefully under-maintained. The staff and manager put up roadblocks every time we asked to be moved to a new room. We reached out to our travel agent who, within an hour, had us at a different, upgraded resort all at no cost.

We had a similar issue once on Silhouette( not sure anymore which room, only time we booked guarantee, could have been 937 or 973). Cruised a lot on X, but had never such annoying vibrations. Have sailed on Silhouettte several times, but then in Aqua.

Many years ago (2012) we stayed in the room next to yours. I don't recall having any major issues but in Michael's Club there is often a shudder and that is close to being almost straight down from where your room is. A few years ago they were installing scrubbers on the S class ships and it was easy to put it sown to that but we were in Michaels in February on the Eclipse and there are certain seats that I do not find comfortable because of the shudder - mainly across from the bar part. It may be that the issue in not solvable and is just part of being on the Eclipse in that area.

Keep at it with the management because they like to keep putting you off. In 2015 on the Eclipse we stayed in a RS - 1239 and we had a terrible stench from the two baths making the bathroom and a good part of the balcony almost unusable. It was a Canaries cruise and it took them until we were in Lisbon, the last stop, to fix it. We had issues one the first night on that cruise and had a whole host of plumbers battering outside our cabin after midnight for a couple of hours. That made us popular with the neighbours. It just got worse after that. It is probably the chief engineer and the hotel director that you need to get in front of you to solve this. Reception, and housekeeping can't fix it.

What made it worse was the fact that they raffled off an empty Penthouse suite which they should have offered to us first until this issue was fixed.

We had a Sky Suite 2121 on the Eclipse. At the Port of Miami on embarkation day the cabin vibrated very bad. It was a jarring vibration like you would get from operating a jack hammer.

We thought it would improve during the cruise. It didn’t.

It was very nauseating. It was worse on the balcony and made reading impossible. It never ended. Was also told that there were no other cabins available.

We called and talked to many different departments about it and a few different staff members came into our cabin. A few tried to say it was because of rough seas or it was just to be expected on a ship. I told them that I understand as we sailed many times before but they need to come back went we were in port and see that it wasn’t due to the seas. In port we placed a full glass on the table and it would have vibrated off If we didn’t catch it before it did.

I noticed a very large vent under our balcony floor, took a picture while in a port and suggested that the fan may be out of balance, a dirty filter or blade. Apparently it wasn’t the cause as the problem was never resolved.

At the end of our cruise there was a token certificate to compensate us for our inconvenience to be applied towards another cruise. It was a nice gesture but would have preferred a non vibrating cabin for 14 days.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I don’t know the number of your cabin but if you look at the ship form a port you will see that there are about 6 cabins that have a large vent about 12 inches deep running across the top of the balconies. In port it looks like a dark empty space. You can also notice it on your balcony as the height of ceiling is lower than normal.

Here is a link showing them. Look at post #6

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934708&highlight=Vents

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

miched, your comments are very interesting, as we were recently in SS2 2121 on Equinox, and noticed the vibrations, which were horrible in port in Costa Maya! But tolerable otherwise, although I didn't like them. Didn't look for the vents. though......

I don’t know the number of your cabin but if you look at the ship form a port you will see that there are about 6 cabins that have a large vent about 12 inches deep running across the top of the balconies. In port it looks like a dark empty space. You can also notice it on your balcony as the height of ceiling is lower than normal.

Here is a link showing them. Look at post #6

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1934708&highlight=Vents

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I looked at the link and while that could be the problem we were just on the Eclipse in 1642 which was mentioned in that thread and there was no vibration or noise. Since that thread is from 2013 it could be that the problem caused by the vents has been addressed.

Guy 999 you have my deepest sympathy. We had the exact same problem on HAL on our first cruise. The vibration was so bad that we had to hold onto the wall in the shower and the bed shook all night long! We had a balcony cabin on an upper deck and complained almost daily and there was nothing they could do. (we later discovered that the ship was old and we were on her last cruise) When we finally disembarked we vowed never to go on a cruise again!!! We've sailed on the Eclipse 4x so far and she's one of our favorite ships and I've never had that problem....but that's no consolation to you. I would keep complaining and see if there's anything they can repair when they're in port or compensate you in some other way. :(

So we saw that someone else had moved but they told us they hadn't moved anyone. Well we just met the couple who moved they had the same problem and they were moved to another room. Its very disappointing because we have four sea days in the cruise and that's one third of our cruise days

I’m so sorry you’re having this issue. It’s inexcusable for Celebrity staff to have told you no other staterooms were available, only for you to subsequently learn they’d moved fellow sufferers to another - miraculously available- stateroom. We’ve only experienced continuous vibration in an Aqua stateroom on Summit, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as the vibration you’ve had. At this point, if you’ve exhausted the shipboard escalation, I’d consider posting on FB or Twitter. Best of luck to you!

If it was the vents would it stop in port?

It would depend on what they are used for.

Even though the ship is in port the ship still operates the same as if it were sailing except the propulsion pods aren’t running.

All the vents and intakes are still needed. Look at the funnels and you can also see the exhaust fumes from the turbines running when docked. They do cut back on how many are running and adjust according to the load like any power plant would.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We, and other family members, have been in 1636 and 1640 a couple of times and have never had a vibration problem. :confused:

I actually like the vents on the balcony because they make just enough noise to drown out any noise from around us when out on the balcony.

OP, hope you get some satisfaction. ;)

We, and other family members, have been in 1636 and 1640 a couple of times and have never had a vibration problem. :confused:

I actually like the vents on the balcony because they make just enough noise to drown out any noise from around us when out on the balcony.

OP, hope you get some satisfaction. ;)

1636 and 1640 are on the opposite side of the ship from where the problem cabins are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I've been up since 4 I was so tired I slept from midnight to four but been up since then I can't find my workout pants or I would go sleep in the lobby I won't sleep her again maybe lobby is where I will have to be

ok well we spoke to assistant manager and once again there is no place to go, they are trying to figure out compensation. i asked about sleeping in the relaxation room, they said no, i asked about sleeping in the medical facility, i was told no, i asked about sleeping in a massage room, i was told no. last night we left after 11 so i was able to fall asleep for a few hours being exhausted, but woke up at 4. tonight we will be sailing when i’m trying to go to sleep, so i’m going to try for 30 minutes then i’m sleeping in the lobby. they state that the shaking can occur in any room and they don’t have any idea where it’s going to be.

i missed my spin class this morning, was so exhausted i couldn’t see when i was out wondering trying to find a place to sleep.

It would depend on what they are used for.

Even though the ship is in port the ship still operates the same as if it were sailing except the propulsion pods aren’t running.

All the vents and intakes are still needed. Look at the funnels and you can also see the exhaust fumes from the turbines running when docked. They do cut back on how many are running and adjust according to the load like any power plant would.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is not true. Many ports have laws that do not allow ships to run on their own power . They must connect to shore power and pay the bill to the port . Halifax where I live is one of many. Ships have had to undergo expensive changes or cancel ports

ok well we spoke to assistant manager and once again there is no place to go, they are trying to figure out compensation. i asked about sleeping in the relaxation room, they said no, i asked about sleeping in the medical facility, i was told no, i asked about sleeping in a massage room, i was told no. last night we left after 11 so i was able to fall asleep for a few hours being exhausted, but woke up at 4. tonight we will be sailing when i’m trying to go to sleep, so i’m going to try for 30 minutes then i’m sleeping in the lobby. they state that the shaking can occur in any room and they don’t have any idea where it’s going to be.

i missed my spin class this morning, was so exhausted i couldn’t see when i was out wondering trying to find a place to sleep.

I’m so sorry to read this. I can’t believe staff refused to let you sleep in those areas that aren’t needed at night! I hope you can get someone to help you today. Good luck.

We got off the Eclipse the day you boarded, 7/25. We also noticed significant vibration in various areas of the ship, most noticeably in the Oceanview Cafe. Your cabin is two decks below that, so I can see why you feel it. We were fortunate to be down on deck 6 and didn't feel it.

The vibration was present whether we were at sea or docked.

We were also on the Eclipse in January 2017. While we noticed some vibration then, it was worse now. It definitely feels as if some piece of machinery is out of balance.

This is not true. Many ports have laws that do not allow ships to run on their own power . They must connect to shore power and pay the bill to the port . Halifax where I live is one of many. Ships have had to undergo expensive changes or cancel ports

The turbines wouldn’t be running but blowers, chillers, pumps and etc would still have to operate for the function of the ship and any one of them could be the cause of a bad vibration.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

d4280029faeff1711b7c98156887894b.jpg90a72d24e67b90b58e90acdb07fc5bee.jpg

Better photos showing the vent that runs along the top of the balconies of AQ on deck 11 and under the balconies of S2 on deck 12. These are the cabins that are on the back side of the hump towards the aft that are under the buffet.

These are photos of the Eclipse that I took in Mar 2018.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Ask the assistant manager to join you in your room when you return after dinner/evening entertainment tonight to experience the noise and vibration in person. I truly hope you are able to bare the rest of your cruise and manage to enjoy the time left.

we have had 2 different managers in our room, both of them agree with the problem, both of them say there is nothing they can do. I’m ready to get off the boat and just do a different vacation.