Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 11/16/2023 at 12:05 AM, DavyWavey70 said:

Lvshak, you’re popular with me. I’ve not been on here lately as I’ve lost 2 of my little angels in the last couple of months quite horrifically to extremely rare and unbelievably fast moving lymphoma. Also my beautiful and loyal little gentleman’s dementia has been getting much worse resulting in hours of anxious whimpering, barking and howling all night long. Fortunately we’ve discovered that spraying his bed with lavender pillow spray is helping him immensely. I Managed 4 hours sleep last night for the first time in over a month. 

I'm so sorry to that Davy .. I have never experienced pets or children but from most coolers replys they are experienced in both .. I'm sorry to hear so many sad stories of loss of your pets ... I always lookout for your travel posts when you go on incredible non cruising travel.. 

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Preparing for 35 hours of travel this weekend... We leave Zambia tomorrow at 13:25 and arrive in Albany on Sunday at 17:30. Four flights. Seven hours of time change. Who planned this insanity? 

I managed to get us checked in for all four flights so there is a slim chance that we can take advantage of the interline agreement between Airlink, Air France, and Delta. If this works we will check our bags once, in Livingstone, and collect them in Albany. We'll see how that goes...

Zambia has been a treat. We're staying at a lodge about 20 minutes out of town. Gorgeous setting on the Zambezi River. A fabulous room with every amenity you could want. And delicious food. They feed you so much here!

Yesterday we went to Livingstone Island and swam in Devil's Pool. It was an experience. We loved it. It's a long way down!

FB_IMG_1700250910905.thumb.jpg.c7972cd5cd97fa2377cde615568dfca3.jpg

FB_IMG_1700250902000.thumb.jpg.35fea392927ac66630b236494243e504.jpg

Then we walked with rhinos.

20231116_160957.thumb.jpg.b3a974c93ff1d758ef9331025bbf8d52.jpg

20231116_161109.thumb.jpg.7b065def390b737ef27c68ddcd85e5c3.jpg

Today we visited Zimbabwe to see the falls from that side. Great views and we got plenty wet despite the low water levels.

20231117_090339.thumb.jpg.098ef1b2148a70f0462367b9f374d5b4.jpg

20231117_091049.thumb.jpg.f7aef4c559b7e0a036ee083b514df8a7.jpg

A helicopter ride over the falls afterwards. 

20231117_115755.thumb.jpg.cc69e48b5577423d2883d305fbda94de.jpg

One last beautiful sunset tonight. 

20231117_181118.thumb.jpg.5fa43c634f8878d64053aedf172cf16f.jpg

20231117_184937.thumb.jpg.908564d20f160cd065637234d871caf0.jpg

Already dreaming of a return trip. It's been one of the best journes that we've ever taken.

Woe wow

.what an incredible & amazing experience..got to hand it to you both you pick some fabulous places to visit.. due to my condition I only get to go to the Mediterranean ( which is beautiful) but have enjoyed your photos they are amazing

Happy travels & safe journey home 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lvshack said:

I'm so sorry to that Davy .. I have never experienced pets or children but from most coolers replys they are experienced in both .. I'm sorry to hear so many sad stories of loss of your pets ... I always lookout for your travel posts when you go on incredible non cruising travel.. 

Thanks LV. Only 44 days to my next adventure! 

• Like 1

Good morning from Paris. Halfway home. 

So far, so good. The very helpful Airlink rep in Zambia checked our bags all the way through to Albany without hesitation. I've been tracking them and they are with us in Paris.

We did the "transit" route in Johannesburg which was pretty easy. Took about 20 minutes from gate to lounge. Interestingly there is still a passport check involved, but they give you a "transit" stamp and there was minimal waiting. 

Transit through CDG this morning was even faster. From gate to lounge in 10 minutes! By a stroke of good luck both our arrival and departure gates were in M so no trains or busses required. 

Boarding in 30 minutes. 

I do regret not trying this fast food place in Zambia. Maybe next time?

20231118_112845.thumb.jpg.fa206d0d76312c792ded7bb243590866.jpg

Our last view of Zambia and Zimbabwe, as our flight departed. 

Screenshot_20231119_073903_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b1205403d4a3fd125b3ff2b2dbddfdbd.jpg

• Like 15

Yes, but awake now and getting ready for work.

We got to our house just after 6PM. After grabbing some takeout we were in bed by 8PM. Slept on and off but mostly good until 4:30.

At least all of our flights were on time, and our luggage arrived with us. Couldn't ask for much more.

The least efficient airport transfer was ATL. That took about 40 minutes from gate to lounge but mostly because baggage delivery was slow. Still not a bad journey.

Now time to get busy planning the next trip - to the Azores in March for my birthday!

• Like 8

I'm glad you got home safely and with your luggage, jp, and thanks so much for the fabulous animal photos.  I am sorry I have left it too late to do a safari, though the amazing TV programmes we get make up for it a bit.  The nearest I got to wildlife in the wild was baboons crossing the road as we drove from Zaria to Kaduna in Nigeria, and the anthills which my DH made small daughter stand beside to 'give them scale'.  She soon moved when she found out what they were.

Lola

• Like 5

JP - we were just in the Azores on the way home on the Nova.  We had a great guide and saw a lot on our brief tour of Ponta Delgada.   His name is Bruno but I do not know which company Silversea uses there.  I would love to go back and am sure you and Chris will enjoy your time there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Out2See said:

I just finished the crossing on the new Nova. Every time we went to a restaurant, including the buffet, we were asked for our suite number. Anyone know why they ask every time?

That is so they know who you are and can scan for any food allergies.  It used to be that they would recognize you and call you by name, but sadly, the ship is larger, the crew is lacking training, and times have changed.  It is unfortunate that they don't track what your standard order is.  It was frustrating to have to teach new staff exactly how we wanted our eggs prepared for breakfast each and every day.

I'm beginning to sense that, for various reasons, the intimacy and personal service that we always found on SS ships is now slipping away? 

I know all companies evolve their product ultimately, they hope, to the benefit of the bottom line. That's just good business. SS seems to be evolving into a more mass market product at the expense of service to the passenger - not just the direct personal service from individual crew members but also in terms of food, ambience and SS's uniquely customer-centered ethos. 

SS is morphing into just another cruise line. That makes me sad. Am I wrong? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I'm beginning to sense that, for various reasons, the intimacy and personal service that we always found on SS ships is now slipping away? 

I know all companies evolve their product ultimately, they hope, to the benefit of the bottom line. That's just good business. SS seems to be evolving into a more mass market product at the expense of service to the passenger - not just the direct personal service from individual crew members but also in terms of food, ambience and SS's uniquely customer-centered ethos. 

@Tothesunset I'm really hoping that this phase is just growing pains!  I'll have a better sense after our big adventure.  In the past, Silversea has pulled out all the stops for this kind of cruise.  We'll see how many stops are left un-pulled.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 2

Just now, mysty said:

I'm really hoping that this phase is just growing pains!  I'll have a better sense after our big adventure.  In the past, Silversea has pulled out all the stops for this kind of cruise.  We'll see how many stops are left unstopped.

Oh, I think they'll look after Mysty and Mr Mysty all right They wouldn't dare do otherwise! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

No, you are certainly not wrong given our recent 33 days' experience on the Nova.  A friend who was on the Nova TA is also doing the Dawn TA, and I am hoping she will have better news to report about the Dawn.  The Nova was quite frankly disappointing in almost all respects.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Emtbsams said:

No, you are certainly not wrong given our recent 33 days' experience on the Nova.  A friend who was on the Nova TA is also doing the Dawn TA, and I am hoping she will have better news to report about the Dawn.  The Nova was quite frankly disappointing in almost all respects.

Good morning, I am going respectfully disagree.....but I was only on board for 11 days and so maybe my experience was nothing like yours......there may have been some disappointing aspects but I met some wonderful people and since I arrived home Saturday afternoon, well, I would still rather be back on board the ship😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Emtbsams said:

Was waiting to hear from you about your experience. I hope this gets fixed ASAP, but I have my doubts. One cannot report about a negative aspect without a counter, but that's what makes the world go round. At least one may express views here that aren't only positive.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

We have had 3 cruises post pandemic. We feel the crew experience is actually better than it was pre Covid. But that is probably due to the fact that we are taking longer voyages. This year they have been 54 and 44 days,

On both cruises after the first few days it was rare to be asked for our room number. For example in Atlantide we sometimes taken straight from the queue to a table. And usually straight to the section served by Pablo on his first contract. He is excellent. 3 nights ago we went to Kaiseki for dinner. He noticed us going in and came over just to say hello.

What I have noticed is it is more common for SS passengers to behave badly. I was appalled on this cruise to see 4 passengers berate a sommelier (and yes he has completed sommelier training) for his lack of knowledge. He is from Zimbabwe. when he came to our table I just gave him a hug and said it wasn't your fault. The smile was amazing and I see it every time we see him.

And another breathe of fresh air is the Captain who boarded in Singapore.. captain Giovanni Schiaffino who comes from a village near Portofino. This is his first cruise with Silversea. The crew already love him. One example. I was doing my laps on deck 11 just before 7am - yes before the sun lounges were available to put your book on- the Captain came out onto the pool deck and talked to the crew putting out the lounges as well as taking the job of putting the tables beside the lounges.

The best part was at the Venetian society cocktail party. It was the wittiest captain's speech we have heard. He introduced himself and said he had to ask permission to attend as this was his first cruise and he had only 8 nights cruising with Silversea.

I will agree that the food offerings have gone downhill but there are exceptions. the steaks I have had on this cruise are the best I have had on Silversea.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I experienced both positives and negatives on the cruise. But that is usually what happens on all my sailings. The negatives, in certain circumstances just seemed to stand out a bit more on the new ship.

• Like 1

I downloaded my DSLR pics today. Took a quick run through and they came out better than I had expected. I am too cheap to invest in a lens with a wide aperture so sometimes the exposure speed can be too slow and the pictures are blurry at full zoom. Here are a few of my favorites.

The first lion cub we saw in the Kalahari. Solitary mom and cub. Mom was out in the open. He was shy. Probably smart as there are a lot of full-grown males who would not be very friendly to him.

ForCC-01.thumb.JPG.0a524480b75581db01f80b8320834c9c.JPG

Black-backed jackal at the local water cooler.

ForCC-02.thumb.JPG.bf8c9f8beee4db7ad98fd50df7d16260.JPG

Lions are just big playful kitties. Until you realize the size of their paws! Serious weapons.

ForCC-03.thumb.JPG.f630cb7195cc74b4ce654f8112fd46bc.JPG

Mama Cheetah. She was staring us down, making sure it was safe for her cubs to pass. A beautiful animal and a thrill to see her in the wild.

ForCC-04.thumb.JPG.006472b71d44b65676097834301a457d.JPG

I thought cats don't like water, but this lioness will ford the stream without hesitation, to hunt for food to nourish her cubs. This hunt did not succeed but the next one did!

ForCC-05.thumb.JPG.8756ab10e0a2145afb859255d050985d.JPG

Woodland Kingfisher, hiding in a maze of branches. I learned a LOT of bird names this trip. And I thought that I wasn't a birder... I guess it happens to all of us sooner or later.

ForCC-06.thumb.JPG.cd059d0ee4f22d5984b6f6d785f142ac.JPG

The leopard from my previous post. Cleans up nicely for her portrait! I think that leopards are more majestic than lions.

ForCC-07.thumb.JPG.e57a43fbc5a088b29d315bd2c8b94c9c.JPG

ForCC-08.thumb.JPG.d7cb62a2f0ee1d24f35556b8bb7cb4fa.JPG

We had sundowners with a bloat of hippos. They were not amused! And they let us know this in no uncertain terms.

ForCC-09.thumb.JPG.ebd7d9832242bea463ab26b32a665e36.JPG

I think this was a Red-billed Hornbill.

ForCC-10.thumb.JPG.628b0e114f4c5e84102ce2e5fea07efa.JPG

Another sleeping lion cub. We are adopting two kittens tomorrow. Probably seeing so many cute lion cubs helped solidify that decision.

ForCC-11.thumb.JPG.b7444864269d37106b34f24e817d8b19.JPG

About as graceful as a fish out of water. At the beginning of the rainy season the hippos can leave the overcrowded river and look for smaller water holes in which to hide.

ForCC-12.thumb.JPG.b4e3f50ff496c12edb3d4ea19224db83.JPG

This is the African Fish Eagle. They were all over the place in the Linyanti. Magnificent bird but after a while you stop noticing.

ForCC-13.thumb.JPG.8fdb97ba70d977c560523165952c1bbd.JPG

Baby elephant nursing while mom replenishes the tank. The elephant antics in the Linyanti were like nothing I remember on prior safaris. And there were so many little babies!

ForCC-14.thumb.JPG.b7a9270dbf67c843d527d0ef0f8df752.JPG

La piece de resistance. A lilac-breasted roller with wings fully extended. Very lucky to get this shot.

ForCC-15.thumb.jpg.4b9f2b7a83576c452d1deec55743bacb.jpg

And I'll end this post with the rhino mom and calf somewhere in Zambia. They are under 24/7 protection. By rangers. With really big rifles. Sad that this is the reality but thankful to the rangers who risk their lives to protect these animals so that we can see them up close and personal.

ForCC-16.thumb.JPG.0043cbf01491e9baae521ca49cbca8ee.JPG

Still feeling the jetlag so off to bed soon.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2