Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Just now, mysty said:

Thanks DW!  It didn't snow so that was awesome!  🤣

It’s tough times all round chuck and it’s good to hear how many things you have to be grateful for. I’m even grateful for the fact that cancelling my 50th birthday tomorrow means I get to enjoy being 49 for another year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

It’s tough times all round chuck and it’s good to hear how many things you have to be grateful for. I’m even grateful for the fact that cancelling my 50th birthday tomorrow means I get to enjoy being 49 for another year. 

Actually due to the stress and aggravation of 2020 I am rolling back the mileage on my life.  Next birthday I am calling it 40.  I won't pass for 40 but I will attempt to rewire my brain to view it as such.  Stay tuned!  😁

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Looking at the Dehillerin @Emtbsam web site, considering a saucepan as a first purchase, copper with stainless steel interior, but would appreciate your thoughts before ordering

It has been a while since I bought anything from their website.  Take a look at the splayed saute pan in copper and stainless as well.  It is an elegant pan and the shape helps evaporate liquid when you need to.  Also, if you are into eBay, look there.  There are a lot of used pieces and a few new ones all the time.  As I said before, I probably have bought more of mine on eBay than elsewhere.  I became a collector of copper pots to liven up my all white kitchen and am only a bit asahmed to admit I have 30 or more hanging all over the kitchen.   If i can figure how to post a picture, I will.

I have a gas cooktop so I use Wright’s copper cleaner to keep them looking pristine.  I have never used any of their induction cookware.

Have fun with the purchase!  Hope this is helpful.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

It has been a while since I bought anything from their website.  Take a look at the splayed saute pan in copper and stainless as well.  It is an elegant pan and the shape helps evaporate liquid when you need to.  Also, if you are into eBay, look there.  There are a lot of used pieces and a few new ones all the time.  As I said before, I probably have bought more of mine on eBay than elsewhere.  I became a collector of copper pots to liven up my all white kitchen and am only a bit asahmed to admit I have 30 or more hanging all over the kitchen.   If i can figure how to post a picture, I will.

I have a gas cooktop so I use Wright’s copper cleaner to keep them looking pristine.  I have never used any of their induction cookware.

Have fun with the purchase!  Hope this is helpful.

The fastest way to clean copper is to cut a lemon in half, dip it in salt and rub it over the surface and then rinse and dry. Gleaming in seconds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Haha, sounds like you need a cruise 🙂 

Who here doesn't? 

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I’m even grateful for the fact that cancelling my 50th birthday tomorrow means I get to enjoy being 49 for another year. 

Have a happy birthday, regardless of the year you choose to attach to it! Hope it's the best 49th birthday ever!

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

Take a look at the splayed saute pan in copper and stainless as well.  It is an elegant pan and the shape helps evaporate liquid when you need to.  

I became a collector of copper pots to liven up my all white kitchen and am only a bit asahmed to admit I have 30 or more hanging all over the kitchen.  If i can figure how to post a picture, I will.

Please post a picture! No shame in owning those beautiful pots. Otherwise I may have to buy some to make my own picture. Those pots would look amazing, hanging in our kitchen...

• Like 1

Thanks JP. It’s only 366 days to my next birthday. We had 3 kittens born on my 40th birthday, Reggie, Ronny and Rosemary West so we will be celebrating their 10th birthday on Wednesday instead. I’m making them a “cake” of smoked salmon and king scallops to celebrate. We should have been on the Silver Moon right now making our way around to Dubrovnik on Wednesday and then  on to Venice. 

625AF0FA-1805-4BB0-986C-C9FE700CD8D1.jpeg

D325FDE6-0596-4E2F-B082-D298F9B434BA.jpeg

8793B733-9FCA-4B00-933B-44A068633B05.jpeg

• Like 3

QUESTION FOR JP  !!   loved the look  of the duck with  air-fried eggplant ,  so  how do  you cook   the eggplant in the air-fryer  ??  As to  Kaiserschmarrn  -  I had to  google that  !    😉😉  xx

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

And we bought a duck today so I'll be trimming that later. I'll cook the breasts in our favorite raspberry and honey sauce recipe for tonight's dinner, and freeze the legs for later. Found a new duck leg recipe to try - they are served with mushroom ragout and Spatzle. Yum. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

It has become well nigh impossible to buy a proper duck in the UK.  They are all fairly intensively farmed and sold to supermarkets, either whole or sold separately as breasts or legs.  Both are unacceptable to me as the supermarket birds are too young and the plastic wrapping renders the all-important skin soggy.  So duck is off the menu here.  If I lived in London I would be able to buy a decent duck from a few serious butchers, such as The Ginger Pig. They cost around £30-40 each while the terrible supermarket versions cost around £10.  You pay for what you get.

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

It has become well nigh impossible to buy a proper duck in the UK.  They are all fairly intensively farmed and sold to supermarkets, either whole or sold separately as breasts or legs.  Both are unacceptable to me as the supermarket birds are too young and the plastic wrapping renders the all-important skin soggy.  So duck is off the menu here.  If I lived in London I would be able to buy a decent duck from a few serious butchers, such as The Ginger Pig. They cost around £30-40 each while the terrible supermarket versions cost around £10.  You pay for what you get.

As a not very brilliant cook - compared with many of you - I do get the Waitrose duck leg portions, and find that if released from their vacuum pack for a while, then dried thoroughly with kitchen towel, the skin will crisp up pretty well.  I do take short cuts, I am afraid.  I slap some  bitter marmalade on the skins part way through cooking, and DH likes old fashioned orange sauce, which I cheat with by again putting some marmalade in, and a few drops of Cointreau.   This probably reads like heresy to you top notch chefs.

Lola

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Haha, sounds like you need a cruise 🙂 

I am in that same category..........I could use one too.

Did I see you had a birthday? Happy Belated Birthday🙂

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am in that same category..........I could use one too.

Did I see you had a birthday? Happy Belated Birthday🙂

Thanks Lois but I haven't had and won't be having a birthday. My 50th had previously been scheduled for tomorrow but I've rescheduled it for 14/10/21 and remaining 49 for another year!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks Lois but I haven't had and won't be having a birthday. My 50th had previously been scheduled for tomorrow but I've rescheduled it for 14/10/21 and remaining 49 for another year!

ohhhhhhh.........well, ok😃 I will wish you one tomorrow then LOL

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

As a not very brilliant cook - compared with many of you - I do get the Waitrose duck leg portions, and find that if released from their vacuum pack for a while, then dried thoroughly with kitchen towel, the skin will crisp up pretty well.  I do take short cuts, I am afraid.  I slap some  bitter marmalade on the skins part way through cooking, and DH likes old fashioned orange sauce, which I cheat with by again putting some marmalade in, and a few drops of Cointreau.   This probably reads like heresy to you top notch chefs.

Lola

I love Duck a l'orange, one of those retro dishes that never fails to delight. Your way of cooking it seems OK to me. It will be just the two of us this Christmas and I'm thinking of getting one of those Ginger Pig ducks and doing it with orange sauce. Sad that we probably can't this year buy our usual turkey from our dependable local Norfolk supplier . . . a turkey for two people seems a bit excessive even though you can freeze the enormous amounts of leftovers and use them in pies and risottos for the rest of the year. Last year we ordered a small turkey and the smallest came in at 12 pounds.  We were still eating it in July!

DaveyWavey - I agree about cleaning with lemon and salt, but if I don't have a lemon, I like to have something in reserve that works.  Also, if I am cleaning more than a few pots, I hate to waste the lemons.

Here is a photo of the kitchen.  Please excuse the mess.  Bob gave me a framed photo (which you can see on the right side) of the kitchen of Paul Bocuse which aside from having lots of copper pots but uses the same meat hook as a pot rack .  I wish I were as good a chef as many of you to really merit these pots and pans, but they do give me great pleasure.

Speaking of turkeys, Bob frequently has a turkey breast sandwich for lunchIMG_0361.thumb.JPG.b87f03a56e1b8fb75fab3ea7d23e21fe.JPG, so every month or so, we buy a whole turkey which I roast.  I save the breasts for his lunch and then use the dark meat in various dishes.  I also make stock from the bones and freeze that for a soup base.  I couldn't live without my big freezer in the basement.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

DaveyWavey - I agree about cleaning with lemon and salt, but if I don't have a lemon, I like to have something in reserve that works.  Also, if I am cleaning more than a few pots, I hate to waste the lemons.

Here is a photo of the kitchen.  Please excuse the mess.  Bob gave me a framed photo (which you can see on the right side) of the kitchen of Paul Bocuse which aside from having lots of copper pots but uses the same meat hook as a pot rack .  I wish I were as good a chef as many of you to really merit these pots and pans, but they do give me great pleasure.

Speaking of turkeys, Bob frequently has a turkey breast sandwich for lunchIMG_0361.thumb.JPG.b87f03a56e1b8fb75fab3ea7d23e21fe.JPG, so every month or so, we buy a whole turkey which I roast.  I save the breasts for his lunch and then use the dark meat in various dishes.  I also make stock from the bones and freeze that for a soup base.  I couldn't live without my big freezer in the basement.

You have a beautiful kitchen!!!!!!!!!!🙂

18 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Thank you for the compliments on the kitchen.  It has held up well for 26 years.  

LOVE your kitchen V!    I recognize some of those hanging pots -- nothing like them.  How I sometimes wish I still had one or two, not that I'm doing much cooking lately.  😞

• Like 1