Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Dusababy I will pas on your comments to Bob.  Dehillerin has become an adiction ever since I found out I could buy them on eBay.  Any trip to Paris must include a visit to the store.

We have a whole house propane generator and love it.  We have needed it many times since we lose power frequently in Maryland.  My refrigerator does not have the high and low sensors that yours does, so for years, I have frozen a container of water on its side.  Once it is frozen, I turn it right side up.  If it is at all melted, I know we have had an issue.

Greetings Coolers!

121333230_5042878975726001_7501089018937506430_n.jpg.23ff0b5357361bc012832ec1b3b637e3.jpg

Today is Thanksgiving Day in Canada.  It is like no other Thanksgiving in my life memory.  With the second wave of COVID hitting our country we have been asked to celebrate only with the people in our immediate household.  That means Myster and me.  Our daughter lives 2.5 hours by car to our west, our son lives 4.5 hours by plane to our southwest.  We ordered a take-out turkey dinner for the two of us.  Even in these current times of upheaval and discomfort I am thankful to be a Canadian.  Our country is not perfect!  We struggle with many social issues.  There is no other place I would rather live (except I detest winter so Adelaide,  Australia would be a very close second choice).  I am thankful that I live here.  I am thankful for my awesome family.  I am thankful for amazing friends.  I am thankful for my wonderful home and town.  I am thankful that Myster and I are healthy and that we are still on speaking terms after so much social insolation!  I AM THANKFUL!

Happy Thanksgiving Day fellow Canucks!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving Mysty and Myster! 

Chris and I are off today; one perk of working for the Feds. Columbus Day. Back at it tomorrow. I think our second wave is just around the corner.

Last night's bedtime snack. Can't believe that we still have fresh tomatoes and basil, in October! 

20201011_220331.thumb.jpg.4d8f7045d6c3c86fb31f24a49945f640.jpg

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Mysty and Myster---Happy Thanksgiving to you both from me as well.🙂

Great to know that Canada has a Thanksgiving Day as a "warm-up" to our special day that we hold in late November.  Congrats!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1041873737_ScreenShot2020-10-12at9_07_34AM.png.f7fa634bfe5260d7e47d82b73009a7bd.png

513943845_ScreenShot2020-10-12at9_07_45AM.png.563e1014866167b31c5878172e196a6d.png

8 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great to know that Canada has a Thanksgiving Day as a "warm-up" to our special day that we hold in late November.  Congrats!!

I must apologize in advance because I am about to get prickly!  Thanksgiving Day in Canada is not a "warm up" to your special day.  Some might think that Canada lives in the shadow of the U.S.  That is not what Canadians think.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mysty said:

I must apologize in advance because I am about to get prickly!  Thanksgiving Day in Canada is not a "warm up" to your special day.  Some might think that Canada lives in the shadow of the U.S.  That is not what Canadians think.

Don't get too "prickly"!!  I was just making a tiny comment in jest about your Thanksgiving Day being a "warm-up" for our day of the same name.  We need to keep our senses of humor during these times.  

Below is a bonus humor posting.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

1322516394_ScreenShot2020-10-12at9_31_13AM.png.f1b85b5ac0847311afb7969675bb986c.png

14 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Don't get too "prickly"!!  I was just making a tiny comment in jest about your Thanksgiving Day being a "warm-up" for our day of the same name.  We need to keep our senses of humor during these times.  

It wasn't funny Terry!  It was demeaning!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

mysty - I wonder if your funnies all seem to ring very true to everyone else on here.  I especially empathised with the gran doing the tippexing!

P.S.  You do know we Brits love your lot best, don't you?  Don't  tell anyone.  

Lola

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

mysty - I wonder if your funnies all seem to ring very true to everyone else on here.  I especially empathised with the gran doing the tippexing!

P.S.  You do know we Brits love your lot best, don't you?  Don't  tell anyone.  

Lola

Guess you forgot about WWII. But I can see your point.

I saw the white cliffs of Dover from the deck of troupe ship USS Geiger.

P.S. Then there was the Falklands.

Edited by zqtchas

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Where Canada leads... 

• Like 2

Happy Thanksgiving Mysty, hope your dinner was enjoyable.  I loved your list of things for which you were thankful.  I hope its ok to add a couple of my own.

I'm thankful my country has Canada as a neighbor.

I'm thankful for the hospitality shown to us when our family has visited Canada.

I'm thankful for Mysty's humorous posts.  🙂

On a slightly less serious level, I'm thankful for the musicians, actors, and others from Canada that we are able to enjoy in the USA.  Take for example the song Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea, from Newfoundland I believe.  A sample of the lyrics:

"In this beautiful life, there's always some sorrow.
It's a double-edged knife, but there's always tomorrow.
It's up to you now if you sink or swim,
Just keep the faith and your ship will come in.
It's not so bad."

• Like 2

Thanks all for your messages either through posts or through post reactions!  I try to be circumspect in my posts on social media.  With the ongoing stress, worry and discomfort surrounding our current world situation I am finding that my emotions are right below the surface.  Both the "love" and the "not love".  In pre-COVID times I would probably not have reacted as forcefully as I did today.  I usually try to err on the side of kindness and understanding.

Que...thanks for adding your things to be thankful for!  Especially the mention of Great Big Sea!

Stumble, here is the menu for the meal we ordered.  You will note that it feeds 4 people.  We divided the meal into pieces.  We will have 1/2 of the entrée for each of two meals and the soup will be a separate meal.  I hope to provide a picture later today.

120781471_2694863680842508_2585731514536541363_o.jpg.5e1a3f7c83eb6db1e8a3b900ec43645c.jpg

Thanks all for being a wonderful community!  Take care and stay safe!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been cooking up a storm today on my last day off. We made Kaiserschmarrn for breakfast. Thanks to a great tip from Chef Pia on our last Silver Cloud cruise, I can make it much faster than I used to. It is so tasty.

20201012_093317.thumb.jpg.2183daf9887fb9687db1612699b95507.jpg

I have a pot of Boeuf Bourgignone in the oven now, cooking slpwly for later. Think that will be tomorrow's dinner, if the smell doesn't get to me soon. 😉

And we bought a duck today so I'll be trimming that later. I'll cook the breasts in our favorite raspberry and honey sauce recipe for tonight's dinner, and freeze the legs for later. Found a new duck leg recipe to try - they are served with mushroom ragout and Spatzle. Yum. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

As promised Stumbles this is 1/2 of the Thanksgiving Turkey take-out.....

IMG_20201012_164258.thumb.jpg.ee6f5ebbd990158d132513a24cf8317d.jpg

You will notice that the veg included peas.  I am not a fan.  However they do hide well with the cranberry sauce.  😁  Take out came with 4 pieces of pumpkin cheesecake.  Myster is working his way through those.  My sweet tooth went walk about years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Beef Bourgignon cooked in a slow oven for about 3 hours. It smelled delicious, but we will save it for tomorrow. It will go splendidly with some mashed potatoes. I am already excited to taste it when I get home from work.

20201012_154604.thumb.jpg.ccede2190deb926aa91c62567af64116.jpg

I trimmed the duck, froze the legs for later, and marinated the breasts in a mixture of red wine, mashed raspberries, olive oil, and shallots.

20201012_154612.thumb.jpg.4c29722d445739c676d911c036a68727.jpg

The finished product, cooked very well (not well-done; that's blasphemy with duck breasts, but nicely medium-rare). With buttered Spätzle, and some air-fried eggplant. Odd side dishes with duck, but it was what we were craving, and it went very well.

20201012_180719.thumb.jpg.a4c11387c3bcc0104342fa5656ad25c0.jpg

The wine choices for tonight. Tour de France?

20201012_182742.thumb.jpg.59f7514704fe9b6e6da4d3149c3adef4.jpg

The Burgundy was left over, as 2/3 of it had already gone into the beef, and some also went into the sauce and marinade for the duck breasts. What was left over, was very tasty, and was a great match for the duck. The Bordeaux was a delicious wine but a bit too powerful for the duck. Enjoying it on its own now.

And I made pâté from the duck liver as well. I made it extra fatty, as per Jeff's recipe earlier. That will need to sit in the fridge for a few days but it will make a great snack. Along with an angioplasty. 

20201012_161032.thumb.jpg.c6e2dd067fc6b877347e604e917372d4.jpg

We eat too well. Back to the exercise regimen.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

All the food looks delicious.  I bought a George Foreman grill today and grilled 2 boneless/skinless chicken

breasts tonight that I had marinated in some Teriyaki sauce.  Not sure why I didn't get one sooner. Much easier

and quicker for me......took less than 10 minutes to grill them both and the flavor was really good.🙂 Had some

cole slaw and macaroni salad with it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lois R said:

All the food looks delicious.

totally agree Lois.  Won't post tonight's casserole of leftover vegetables and ground turkey from here in Virginia so you don't have to retract the above post.

Looking at the Dehillerin @Emtbsam web site, considering a saucepan as a first purchase, copper with stainless steel interior, but would appreciate your thoughts before ordering