Passport Expiring in <6 Months

Hi! My family and I would like to plan a cruise out of Galveston for September, however my dad is a US permanent resident and has a passport from China that is expiring in less than six months. Would this be a problem for the ports Falmouth, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel? Thanks so much!

Nobody at these ports checks passports. The only ID he'll need is a driver's license. Leave the passport on ship.

This is not the best advice. They check passports before they let you embark on the first day and also again when you return "home" on the last day. You could be denied entry with a passport expiring in less than six months. I would, at a minimum, call RCCL directly and discuss with them. Better yet, you have already identified the issue so can you get a renewal before you travel and just eliminate all doubt?

The need for 6 months validity, is based on the country that you visit. It is NOT a requirement to re-enter the US.

AFAIK, the only typical cruise destination in the Western Hemisphere that requires 6 month validity is Cuba, for US citizens. All the other ports do not even require you to HAVE a passport for US citizens.

For non-US citizens check the website of the country or call their Embassy. Remember to tell them you will be visiting by CRUISE SHIP. Some countries have different requirements for cruise ship passengers.

On port on our next cruise would require my SO to have a visa to visit, but it is not required for arriving by cruise ship.

While no one at the port checks the passport that you are holding, the cruise line checks them when you board. They could refuse boarding if you don't meet entry requirements. Checking each country's website for entry requirements is critical!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Ships routinely transmit manifests to appropriate authorities at each port.

Computers are marvelous tools widely used by border and security agencies around the world.

Nobody at these ports checks passports. The only ID he'll need is a driver's license. Leave the passport on ship.

You may wish to reread the OP. Question concerns a PRC citizen.

The need for 6 months validity, is based on the country that you visit. It is NOT a requirement to re-enter the US.

AFAIK, the only typical cruise destination in the Western Hemisphere that requires 6 month validity is Cuba, for US citizens. All the other ports do not even require you to HAVE a passport for US citizens.

For non-US citizens check the website of the country or call their Embassy. Remember to tell them you will be visiting by CRUISE SHIP. Some countries have different requirements for cruise ship passengers.

On port on our next cruise would require my SO to have a visa to visit, but it is not required for arriving by cruise ship.

This. Since the question involves a non US citizen this will very much depend on each country.

sparks1093 expresses my concern I also second SRF suggestion about checking with each individual country. I would even reccommend checking with the US officials just to make sure. The person in question is not a US citizen either by birth or naturalization. He is a permanent US resident. I wouldn't even begin to speculate what may be required. It could be a non-issue or major game changer

While no one at the port checks the passport that you are holding, the cruise line checks them when you board. They could refuse boarding if you don't meet entry requirements. Checking each country's website for entry requirements is critical!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Since US citizens do not need passports for a closed loop cruise submitting manifests to any country is virtually useless.

Since US citizens do not need passports for a closed loop cruise submitting manifests to any country is virtually useless.

Fact is security agencies in many countries have information sharing agreements that allow for transborder queries of various security and law enforcement databases. A passport number is not necessary. Name along with birthdate, city or other identifying data is all that is needed.

Fact is security agencies in many countries have information sharing agreements that allow for transborder queries of various security and law enforcement databases. A passport number is not necessary. Name along with birthdate, city or other identifying data is all that is needed.

Facts are funny things. CBP once told me my name and birthdate was on a no-fly list. Never was I ever questioned by TSA.

They also told me there were 10 people with the same information.

I did a google search, and found these web sites - which appear to be official.

I'd recommend contacting them directly to confirm, but at first glance, it appears that they allow any LPR(Legal Permanent Resident) of the USA to visit via a cruise without a Visa.

Aloha,

John

http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/visas/cruise-passengers/

http://www.immigration.gov.ky/portal/page/portal/immhome/visitinghere/visas/visitorsvisas/listofcountries

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/sanfrancisco/index.php/visas-traveling-to-mexico