Scammed by Florida taxi drivers

xcell

You can likely squeeze three into each UberX for less than what UberXL will charge. Typical UberX is a Ford Fusion/Toyota Camry or similar sized vehicle and should be able to accommodate 3 passengers plus standard bags. UberX from PE to FLL should be about $10 per car, while UberXL will be closer to $15 per car.

I do not see you fitting 3 adults with standard (large checked bags) plus hand bags in to an UberX. And you could also end up with a Toyota Prius.

I must say when we have been to FLL & MIA

we use a taxi

the only time there was an issue was going from the IC in Miami to the port ..the taxi we had did not have working A/C & it was a HOT day & then we were stuck in traffic ..

we probably could have walked to the port faster

We had a driver from the airport to Hampton inn it was during the 3 Kings festival all the roads were blocked off he tried every route to get us to the hotel

finally got us there & the meter was higher than normal charge but he only charged us the $30 it would have been without all the detours

Some people (me) do not have smart phones that work in the USA so we just use the Taxi service

YMMV

We were in Miami for a b2b th S month with 1 day in between so total 3 days Miami. We’ve been scammed many times by taxis here and argued the fair, they hear an English accent and go kerching $$$.

So Mia to downtown wanted to Use Uber but hard to sort the pick up point, took a cab, immediately told driver been here many times, did the fair ok.

Took Uber to ship $7.65 from intercontinental - didn’t take tunnel - taxis always want to take the tunnel

Get off cruise 1 jump in cab - drivers first question - have you been here before, yes we say, recently he asks, yes we say and it’s normal $11-12. So he misses the tunnel and takes us straight there complaining all the way.

Uber to ship 2 $7.70

Taxi to airport, meter not on, checking set fairs says $28 - get to airport $38 please, excuse me it’s a set fair, ah well I took the tunnel and had tolls to pay, really, what’s your driver number?

They do themselves no favours

Our metered taxi driver from our hotel to the port took a very, long way to get to the port. It was double the price of our UberXL cost the following year. Now we only use Uber unless we are going from port to airport because that cost is a flat rate and is cheaper than an UberXL. We are 4 adults with a lot of luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

I got ripped off. I had a feeling it was going to happen but honestly being a woman alone- I didn’t fight it. Scummy drivers. I am switching to Lyft and Uber. Too bad as I used to want to be sure and support the taxi drivers- no more! My ride from FLL to Port - it said right inside the taxi he had to use a meter. No meter even existed that I could see! At the airport I heard the guy in the taxi line ask the driver “do you want a slip” and I kind of figured something was up. At the port he told me $21 which I knew was too high yet I even tipped the scum bucket by giving him $25. Please don’t tell me how stupid I was as I am already beating myself up!

Anyone going home I will be using Lyft or Uber and for now on will use Lyft or Uber when possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You do need a smart phone to set up an Uber account which we did find a bit tricky scanning the credit card though this may have been an issue with our phone rather than the process itself.

We were bemused to find that our Uber driver in Miami did not speak a word of English. We did get a smooth ride straight to the port but had to use sign language to reach the correct ship! Airport Hotel advised that to port uber ran about $10 cheaper than taxi.

We've never used Uber or Lyft before, so please help out a newbie question.

I assume that an UberX can accommodate 2 adults with a total of 2 large suitcases, 2 carry-on bags, and 2 personal bags (eg, large purse/small backpack) ?

Or do we need an UberXL ?

If you request an UberX for a trip to or from a cruise port, you'd think that the driver would know in advance you will have luggage... but just to be clear with them, can you tell the driver this information before he/she even picks you up ?

Thanks !

I assume that an UberX can accommodate 2 adults with a total of 2 large suitcases, 2 carry-on bags, and 2 personal bags (eg, large purse/small backpack) ?

If you request an UberX for a trip to or from a cruise port, you'd think that the driver would know in advance you will have luggage... but just to be clear with them, can you tell the driver this information before he/she even picks you up ?

Thanks !

UberX can easily handle 2 adults with plenty of luggage. Don't over think it. No need to notify the driver ahead of time. When you get to 3 or more passengers is where space gets more dicey. But 2, no problem.

BTW what is the difference between uber and lyft?

We noticed that our driver ordered through uber displayed a card uber on one side, and lyft on the other?

Sort of like the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Two very similar operations - many drivers work for both and I have both apps open to see who can pick me up quicker. Sometimes there is a difference in pricing, especially if surge pricing is in effect, but usually the difference is pennies

Thanks !

For two passengers plus bags the UberX or standard Lyft will be fine. Usually a Toyota Prius, Camry or similar sized vehicle, but I've had everything from a small Honda Fit to a king cab pick-up. No need to specify that you'll have bags. The driver may call or text to verify your location.

Here's what kind of cars you may be picked up in when getting an UberXL:

• Kia Sorrento.
  • Toyota Highlander.
  • Dodge Grand Caravan.
  • Chevrolet Traverse.
  • Dodge Durango.
  • Ford Explorer.
  • Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • Dodge Journey.

From an UBER site ....

IME can be larger .... like a full size van or SUV

I’ve used both Lyft and UberX between Fort Lauderdale Airport, Port Everglades, Port of Miami and Miami International Airport. It was just my husband and I and luggage. Great transportation- fast and very reasonable. I like the ability to have a record of my driver incase glasses or cell phone are left in the Uber/Lyft - if left in a taxi the ability to retrieve it is slim. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes either at the airport or port 😊

USHUTTLE BETWEEN FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT, PORT EVERGLADES, PORT OF MIAMI AND MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTTTLE BETWEEN FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT, PORT EVERGLADES, PORT OF MIAMI AND MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

I’ve used both Lyft and UberX between Fort Lauderdale Airport, Port Everglades, Port of Miami and Miami International Airport. It was just my husband and I and luggage. Great transportation- fast and very reasonable. I like the ability to have a record of my driver in case glasses or cell phone are left in the Uber/Lyft - if left in a taxi the ability to retrieve it is slim. Never had to wait more than 5 minutes either at the airport or port

I don't know about Lyft, but the only way to report items left in an Uber vehicle is...via the app on your cell phone. The receipt you are e-mailed has the name of your driver (for soliciting a tip) but not the vehicle information or confirmation number--so no way to trace your trip other than the same cell phone used to order it.

When someone in my Uber (name withheld) ;) left their cell phone we just used my smart phone to log into their account, (you can use your computer also). We gave notice that it was left and within 30 minutes had the cell phone back in hand! Lyft also does this. Google “locating left cell phone in Uber” for step by step directions. Now when a business partner left her glasses in a cab the company had no idea who or what cab it was - so she never retrieved the glasses . I love technology ❤️

Edited by 5745

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Miami a few years ago. Once we debarked in the parking lot there were taxis all around and one driver motioned and told us to get in. I knew it was a flat fare to get to the airport but I asked him anyway. He told me something like $45. I looked at him and told him it was a flat rate. He started to argue with me and said that's ridiculous so I looked at another driver and asked him. The second driver confirmed $27. There were plenty of people around that heard me call him a scammer.

I have only used Uber a couple of times. How do you request a pickup from the port to go to the airport? I’m imagining hundreds of people milling about waiting for a ride, so how would I recognize the driver and how would he recognize me? Or are they waiting somewhere just like taxis?