obnoxious neighbors

purplethorn

Wow...so this went down hill fast.

We got into a "war" with our neighbor on one cruise: he yelled at us for talking on our balcony....so later when he decided to smoke on his balcony, we reported it. He got scolded, so then he got mad. Set his computer up to play Scrubs in German at full volume while we were on our balcony...threw breadcrumbs at seagulls from his balcony but threw them around the partition trying to lure the gulls onto ours...stuff like that.

Anyway...it got so bad I asked to switch rooms: if the ship wouldn't have been so full, we could have done that, but there wasn't another suite that slept 3 available.

-------------

This made me LOL .... Scrubs in German ahahaha I can only imagine

We were on GSC and a large group floated a boom box on a raft and floated it out in the lagoon in front of the cabanas with it turned up to full volume. Wouldn't have been so bad but it was rap music with very offensive language and there were little kids trying to snorkel.

For the 1st 2 days of of last cruise, every time we opened the balcony door, our room was flooded with cigarette smoke and loud music / conversation filled with foul language. We could see our neighbors puffing away over their balcony. I leaned over and let them know that "Hey..not sure you are aware but you can't smoke out here", then asked them politely to remember that there are children on the ship who don't need to hear "F--K this and F--K that" every other word. They essentially told me to piss off and they paid enough money on the cruise so they could do what they wanted.

Day 2...smoking again, swearing and TV on full blast with their balcony to room door clearly wide open. Ruined my lovely french roast and a beautiful ocean sunrise which had been quiet up until that point. Easy fix - grabbed my 9 yo, who has NO filter, who went on the balcony and yelled "MOM...it smells like fire out here...I'm calling the police!!!!".

You could hear our neighbors literally running back inside their cabin. My son then called the butler to tell him there were people smoking in the cabin next to us who left lit cigarettes on the deck (which they did). When ship's security knocked on neighbor's door to find out who was smoking (a 200$ time 1st offense, then getting taken off the ship offense #2), I admit I listened happily to the "discussion of smoking rules".

Day 3-7...not a single wisp of smoke to be smelled. We also never saw hide nor hair of our neighbors again. Passive aggressive? Meh. I paid good money too for the same vacation!

Amy

I hope you don't mean this. My father has hearing problems. He uses hearing aids.

If you have hearing problems, are you stating that it is your belief that it is reasonable to listen to your TV at a higher than what is considered normal in a situation where it can be heard by neighbors? If so, can you please explain your logic?

Logical people do not wear hearing aids to bed.

For the 1st 2 days of of last cruise, every time we opened the balcony door, our room was flooded with cigarette smoke and loud music / conversation filled with foul language. We could see our neighbors puffing away over their balcony. I leaned over and let them know that "Hey..not sure you are aware but you can't smoke out here", then asked them politely to remember that there are children on the ship who don't need to hear "F--K this and F--K that" every other word. They essentially told me to piss off and they paid enough money on the cruise so they could do what they wanted.

Day 2...smoking again, swearing and TV on full blast with their balcony to room door clearly wide open. Ruined my lovely french roast and a beautiful ocean sunrise which had been quiet up until that point. Easy fix - grabbed my 9 yo, who has NO filter, who went on the balcony and yelled "MOM...it smells like fire out here...I'm calling the police!!!!".

You could hear our neighbors literally running back inside their cabin. My son then called the butler to tell him there were people smoking in the cabin next to us who left lit cigarettes on the deck (which they did). When ship's security knocked on neighbor's door to find out who was smoking (a 200$ time 1st offense, then getting taken off the ship offense #2), I admit I listened happily to the "discussion of smoking rules".

Day 3-7...not a single wisp of smoke to be smelled. We also never saw hide nor hair of our neighbors again. Passive aggressive? Meh. I paid good money too for the same vacation!

Amy

hahahaha love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Logical people do not wear hearing aids to bed.

I do not get this.

So deaf people, can lie in bed without their hearing aids, turn up the TV so loud that people in the next cabin can hear, just so they can hear? And that is OK?

Now if it is the opposite, a deaf person can take out their hearing aids to go to bed and are not bothered by loud TV in the next room-I get that.

(Not a fan of loud TV or music myself) Have been fortunate thus far to have nice, quiet neighbors on the cruises we have been on. But after reading this thread, I have all kind of ideas about what to do should our neighbors be obnoxious!

Edited by Seminole1975

Amy

Wish I would have a nine year old with me if it ever occurred on any of my cruises. But then again, I’m not only a New Yorker, I’m an Italian with an attitude [emoji6].

Wish I would have a nine year old with me if it ever occurred on any of my cruises. But then again, I’m not only a New Yorker, I’m an Italian with an attitude [emoji6].

I have to tell you that Southern Belle’s have some attitude too and I completely agree with you both :halo::evilsmile:

Oh no. :evilsmile:I definitely would not handle that well. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh yeah, I would wig out. I swear part of the joy of being over 50 is you can pull that scary older woman glare so well and it’s soooo much fun. And I must admit it’s a particular joy dealing with children like those (sadly I find that their parents are more likely to get mad at those people who trying to stop them rather than being angry at the bad behavior of their bratty children - maddening).

We had a family of door slammers next to us on the Getaway. Every they went in or out they slammed the door. There were 4 in the family and they always went 2 at a time. So annoying.

Oh my goodness, this was my biggest complaint on the Getaway with our neighbors. They constantly were in and out and just let their door slam.....would be nice if they quietly closed it just once.

Amy

Actually I don’t think it’s passive aggressive at all. I think calling security was the absolute right thing to do. I wouldn’t have even given them the warning and the second chance.

Amy

Nah, passive aggressiveness would have been doing nothing about it on the ship, ripping the cruise line in the survey, posting your outrage (not that you expressed any) in a message here, and possibly removing the grats.

I think you handled it well - get the staff to deal with it.

To the comments on the tray outside the room. I have stayed in a few higher end hotels and boutique hotels where there have been cards on my room service tray to leave it outside the room when done so it can be quickly collected. This may have been an honest mistake by someone who thinks that’s protocol, not an intentionally rude act. A call to room service is polite, but often not required by the hotel. BUT hotels have much wider hallways.

If it’s late at night, one may assume that it would get picked up before the morning if it is available publicly.

I do not get this.

So deaf people, can lie in bed without their hearing aids, turn up the TV so loud that people in the next cabin can hear, just so they can hear? And that is OK?

Now if it is the opposite, a deaf person can take out their hearing aids to go to bed and are not bothered by loud TV in the next room-I get that.

(Not a fan of loud TV or music myself) Have been fortunate thus far to have nice, quiet neighbors on the cruises we have been on. But after reading this thread, I have all kind of ideas about what to do should our neighbors be obnoxious!

Yes it is. It is a disability and if you don’t get that well....just hope you are never next door to someone with that disability because you can complain all you like but you your complaints will literally fall on deaf ears.

:eek::'):eek::')

Yes it is. It is a disability and if you don’t get that well....just hope you are never next door to someone with that disability because you can complain all you like but you your complaints will literally fall on deaf ears.

:eek::'):eek::')

Hilarious.

We will have to disagree Ms. Chick. I do not agree and never will agree that anyone with a disability or otherwise has the right to interfere with mine or anyone else's ability to relax in peace and quiet in their own cabin with the balcony door shut. Remember too there might be children trying to sleep as well. It is not just adults we are talking about here. And we all paid good money to cruise.

I am sure I could find someone in guest services or security who is not hearing impaired. I could also assume my "obnoxious" neighbor could read a post it note I placed on their door. There are many ways to communicate.

Audiology advice to my wife was not to wear them at all when lying down or when anywhere near water and that included till her hair was dry after washing.

This is all so interesting, as a total aside. I did not know this. I had a grandpa who wore them and he was told the opposite. He lived alone however, and he was advised to wear them when he slept because he would not hear a) smoke alarms b) B&E c) dogs barking or in distress. I imagine if a person is not alone and someone near them who does not need hearing aids, that is protection. If I ever need them or my husband does, I will keep this info in mind. Especially the water info about hair being dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hilarious.

We will have to disagree Ms. Chick. I do not agree and never will agree that anyone with a disability or otherwise has the right to interfere with mine or anyone else's ability to relax in peace and quiet in their own cabin with the balcony door shut. Remember too there might be children trying to sleep as well. It is not just adults we are talking about here. And we all paid good money to cruise.

I am sure I could find someone in guest services or security who is not hearing impaired. I could also assume my "obnoxious" neighbor could read a post it note I placed on their door. There are many ways to communicate.

Not meant to be hilarious it was meant as the truth. People with disabilities have rights under the law. You have the option of wearing ear plugs if it bothers you so much and you can leave me as many notes as you like, In the end I would report the harassment to guest services along with the solution for you wearing ear plugs. Care to guess who guest services will side with?

Not meant to be hilarious it was meant as the truth. People with disabilities have rights under the law. You have the option of wearing ear plugs if it bothers you so much and you can leave me as many notes as you like, In the end I would report the harassment to guest services along with the solution for you wearing ear plugs. Care to guess who guest services will side with?

Are you deaf?

I don't think people with disabilities have the "right" to bother other people.