obnoxious neighbors

purplethorn

Not meant to be hilarious it was meant as the truth. People with disabilities have rights under the law. You have the option of wearing ear plugs if it bothers you so much and you can leave me as many notes as you like, In the end I would report the harassment to guest services along with the solution for you wearing ear plugs. Care to guess who guest services will side with?

So everyone should pack earplugs in case they have a neighbor who is hard of hearing and chooses not to watch TV sitting up in their bed with their hearing aid in (if their doctor recommends not reclining)? C'mon. (Maybe the hard of hearing should bring enough ear plugs to supply their neighbors on a cruise or in a hotel.)

I thought people with disabilities (your word, not mine) had rights to equal treatment under the law, not special treatment. Please cite your source of this special treatment, specifically noise pollution.

Are you deaf?

I don't think people with disabilities have the "right" to bother other people.

Seems to me it's done all the time.

We often see people with disabilities cutting lines, given special (better/closer) seating, parking, & assistance of one sort or another while we continue to wait in line or for service.

FWIW, I am a hearing aid wearer & DO NOT wear them to bed. Many hearing aids will squeal when blocked which happens when I roll to my side & my head is on the pillow. Also, my hearing aids need to be charged & that can only be done when not being worn!

Not meant to be hilarious it was meant as the truth. People with disabilities have rights under the law. You have the option of wearing ear plugs if it bothers you so much and you can leave me as many notes as you like, In the end I would report the harassment to guest services along with the solution for you wearing ear plugs. Care to guess who guest services will side with?

So you would be happy with someone with dementia banging on your door all night long thinking it's their room? It's OK they have a disability and you brought ear plugs!

or maybe a child with ADHA throwing food over you in the main dining room because they have a disability and you brought a poncho just in case!

Seems to me it's done all the time.

We often see people with disabilities cutting lines, given special (better/closer) seating, parking, & assistance of one sort or another while we continue to wait in line or for service.

Respectfully, the above does not interfere with my ability to rest or sleep or enjoy my vacation on a cruise. I go on a cruise to relax and get some rest and have fun. That is what we are talking about on this thread.

I do not mind if someone in a wheelchair gets special assistance on embarkation for example. I will not lose sleep over that!

Almost as bad as the guy who sang all 99 verses of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" after we asked him to stop smoking cigars non-stop on his balcony.

I would have started singing along with him. My voice is so bad that he'd be begging me to stop after the first verse.

So you would be happy with someone with dementia banging on your door all night long thinking it's their room? It's OK they have a disability and you brought ear plugs!

or maybe a child with ADHA throwing food over you in the main dining room because they have a disability and you brought a poncho just in case!

Actually on an NCL cruise I met a couple and the husband had dementia, a few days later I ran into him at the buffet and he lit a cigarette , I ran over to him and took the cigarette from him, put it out and brought him to guest services because he could not remember his cabin number. I saw the wife that night and she couldn’t stop thanking me but it was no big deal. If someone was banging on my door and I saw they were in distress I would do the same thing.

As far as a kid throwing food, if that would happen I would just have NCL do my laundry, again not a big deal. It’s not like I have never spilled a drink or food on myself before.

And FYI in case you don’t know I am very vocal about being a smoker and contrary to popular belief I know where I can smoke and where I cannot.

Actually I know who guest services will side with. I have seen this specific occurrence happen. They sided with the parties that were being disturbed by the excessive loud noise. The person in question was told to please either turn the volume on the TV down or put the hearing aid back in.

Wow you just don’t get it do you. Here’s a quarter buy a clue.

You will not be bothered if you spend 99 cents on earplugs.

As I mentioned before I totally and completely disagree with you and always will on this subject. I get you think I should wear earplugs to accommodate a deaf person watching TV turned up loud enough that people in other cabins can hear it. I disagree.

My point: I should not HAVE to wear ear plugs in my own cabin to block out other's noise. Most ear plugs do not always block out all noises anyway unless you get them made just for you.

Hopefully this problem will not happen on my upcoming cruise. I do bring earplugs on vacation BTW just in case.

I see no reason to respond to you any longer. As I said, we will have to disagree. Wear YOUR earplugs.

You might want to respond to the post from Mike_DeA about legal rights of disabled people.

Actually I know who guest services will side with. I have seen this specific occurrence happen. They sided with the parties that were being disturbed by the excessive loud noise. The person in question was told to please either turn the volume on the TV down or put the hearing aid back in.

I highly doubt that.

I highly doubt that.

GUESTS WHO ARE DEAF OR HAVE LOW HEARING

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Deaf or Low Hearing guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means making every attempt to make the technology available to assist Deaf and Low Hearing guests during your Freestyle cruise experience. We strongly encourage Deaf or Low Hearing guests to contact the Access Desk prior to cruising so that your specific needs can be discussed prior to your cruise. Many different options are available prior to the cruise and needs vary from guest to guest.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Amenities and Services include:

• Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise
  • The Sky, Sun and Pride of America have staterooms that are hard wired for Deaf and Low Hearing guests which includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection
  • On those vessels where rooms have not been hardwired, a portable kit is available upon request in your stateroom that includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection
  • Individual and/or group emergency drills for all Deaf or Low Hearing guests upon request
  • Pagers are available upon request on all Norwegian Cruise Line vessels to alert Deaf or Low Hearing Guests to vessel announcements and a manual for same can be provided in advance
  • Assistive listening devices are available on many vessels in the main theatre through the Guest Service Desk
  • Closed-captioned televisions are available for your state room
  • Closed-captioned movies are available on the ‘New Movie Release’ channel. A DVD player may be requested if a guest wishes to bring their own DVD movies from home
  • Sign language interpreting services may be provided for Deaf guests if that is their primary means of communication. A request for sign language interpreting should be made with the Access Desk at the time of booking through the Special requirements Information Form that can be obtained from the Access desk, but no later than 90 days prior to sailing. Requests are subject to a number of considerations, including but not limited to, the availability of interpreters and cabin space. Sign language interpreting services may be provided on cruises that depart from and/or return to the U.S. Please make every effort to contact our Access Desk well in advance of your cruise - at least 90 days for interpreters. A request for an interpreter with less than 90 days’ notice may still be granted but cannot be guaranteed
  • TTY Phones are available onboard all ships except Norwegian Spirit that use handy phones and text messaging. The guest can request that the phone in their room be replaced with a TTY phone and this will enable them to communicate with the Guest Services Desk staff by teletype

GUESTS WHO ARE DEAF OR HAVE LOW HEARING

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we will attempt to provide our Deaf or Low Hearing guests with an enjoyable cruise, which means making every attempt to make the technology available to assist Deaf and Low Hearing guests during your Freestyle cruise experience. We strongly encourage Deaf or Low Hearing guests to contact the Access Desk prior to cruising so that your specific needs can be discussed prior to your cruise. Many different options are available prior to the cruise and needs vary from guest to guest.

For additional information, call (866) 584-9756 (voice), fax (305) 468-2171, or send an e-mail to accessdesk@ncl.com, or have your travel agent contact us.

Amenities and Services include:

• Embarkation day meeting with staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise
  • The Sky, Sun and Pride of America have staterooms that are hard wired for Deaf and Low Hearing guests which includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection
  • On those vessels where rooms have not been hardwired, a portable kit is available upon request in your stateroom that includes a visual-tactile alert system to alert you if there is knocking at the door, telephone ringing, alarm ringing or smoke detection
  • Individual and/or group emergency drills for all Deaf or Low Hearing guests upon request
  • Pagers are available upon request on all Norwegian Cruise Line vessels to alert Deaf or Low Hearing Guests to vessel announcements and a manual for same can be provided in advance
  • Assistive listening devices are available on many vessels in the main theatre through the Guest Service Desk
  • Closed-captioned televisions are available for your state room
  • Closed-captioned movies are available on the ‘New Movie Release’ channel. A DVD player may be requested if a guest wishes to bring their own DVD movies from home
  • Sign language interpreting services may be provided for Deaf guests if that is their primary means of communication. A request for sign language interpreting should be made with the Access Desk at the time of booking through the Special requirements Information Form that can be obtained from the Access desk, but no later than 90 days prior to sailing. Requests are subject to a number of considerations, including but not limited to, the availability of interpreters and cabin space. Sign language interpreting services may be provided on cruises that depart from and/or return to the U.S. Please make every effort to contact our Access Desk well in advance of your cruise - at least 90 days for interpreters. A request for an interpreter with less than 90 days’ notice may still be granted but cannot be guaranteed
  • TTY Phones are available onboard all ships except Norwegian Spirit that use handy phones and text messaging. The guest can request that the phone in their room be replaced with a TTY phone and this will enable them to communicate with the Guest Services Desk staff by teletype

Well there ya go! Problem solved. Thanks Jenny!

I should be doing other things, but when I saw this this title, I had to check it out...

Isn't it funny, how on vacation, some people feel the need to leave common sense, civility and the entitlement home.

I have also wondered about the dishes left in the hallway thing, In my opinion, its disgusting, smelly and dangerous. When sailing Princess, we normally order the balcony breakfast, which they do bring a lot is dishes, then when done, I scrape the leftovers onto one of the smaller dishes, stack them according to size, then put the largest cover on that, then put the napkin over that and leave on the desk for the steward to pick up.

Then you get those who think the corridors at 2am is the party area, loud laughing, yelling, one call to the PSD takes care of that.

Yes, I'm selfish, but the pet peeve of mine is that I like to leave my drapes open a crack to get the morning light, but the neighbors leave their light on all night, which reflects back into the cabin. Part of the issue is, that if the light is on during the day, you don't know it, and the switch is usually buried behind two or three layers of draperies, and if you don't know it was there, you couldn't shut it off, so I just ask the steward to turn it off when he/she is doing turndown the first night, but, if it's left on, I put a smiley note in their box to remind them that the switch is located (where), so they can be a good neighbor and shut it off when they retire for the night.

well I have an issue no one has mentioned. Lovebirds next door sharing their joy with loud moaning and screaming.

Yup I just got back from a cruise to the Baltics and I found a lot of rude Europeans in the buffet, elevators, pool and hogging windows on shore excursion busses.

But what really go me was on first night I had TV on moderately and snug earplug. Guess what I heard. OMG.

It thought the lady was being attacked. Turned out to be lovey sexy noises that neither TV or earplugs or moving to the furthers away in my bed I could from the walk. I never wanted to see who they were but I kept wondering what the folks on the other side heard. I did mentioned to my room steward who told me that he would have to have his boss handle. I told him never mind and best not to escalate.

also these folks did let their door SLAM naturally which shook all the unused hangers in my closet.

Also let us not forget about how noisy slamming drawers and closet doors. These neighbors actually were in and out of their drawers 22 times in one night. I counted.

I met a lady in the buffet early on in the 14 day cruise and it was her first. She had a book and was telling me how she wanted to just have a drink and sit somewhere quiet to read. I told her basically to go back to the room.

Then again I told to be wary of balcony noise and lovers next door. Her reply was "no more cruises for me"

Oceansaway17, I would have probably put a sticky note on their door saying "so glad to HEAR you are having a wonderful time".

Best Post Yet!

Leaving for Bermuda in a week, I'll make sure I bring some sticky notes

Yes, I'm selfish, but the pet peeve of mine is that I like to leave my drapes open a crack to get the morning light, but the neighbors leave their light on all night, which reflects back into the cabin. Part of the issue is, that if the light is on during the day, you don't know it, and the switch is usually buried behind two or three layers of draperies, and if you don't know it was there, you couldn't shut it off, so I just ask the steward to turn it off when he/she is doing turndown the first night, but, if it's left on, I put a smiley note in their box to remind them that the switch is located (where), so they can be a good neighbor and shut it off when they retire for the night.

What if the neighbors like to sit on the balcony with the lights on after enjoying the evening? They might be out there until 4am.

I highly doubt that.

Believe it. I was there. I was one of the passengers that complained. The person actually apologized because he did not realize it was as loud as it was. He understood that his rights and enjoyment did not override anyone else's. Something you can't seem to understand.

Are you deaf?

I don't think people with disabilities have the "right" to bother other people.

Spoken like someone who has never seen a fleet of wheelchairs and scooters coming down the hall.

They DO in fact have the right to live their lives even if that bothers you. The days of salting the disabled away, out of sight so they don't annoy the more fortunate are gone and good riddance.

Spoken like someone who has never seen a fleet of wheelchairs and scooters coming down the hall.

They DO in fact have the right to live their lives even if that bothers you. The days of salting the disabled away, out of sight so they don't annoy the more fortunate are gone and good riddance.

Moving to the side to let scooters and wheelchairs go by is not what we were "talking" about. That does not "bother"me in the least. I specifically was talking about loud TV noises that interfere with my ability to sleep and responding to another poster who brought up the hearing impaired as a disability.

Now tho I might have to worry about hearing other noises as well! Yikes!:o

Edited by Seminole1975

well I have an issue no one has mentioned. Lovebirds next door sharing their joy with loud moaning and screaming.

Yup I just got back from a cruise to the Baltics and I found a lot of rude Europeans in the buffet, elevators, pool and hogging windows on shore excursion busses.

But what really go me was on first night I had TV on moderately and snug earplug. Guess what I heard. OMG.

It thought the lady was being attacked. Turned out to be lovey sexy noises that neither TV or earplugs or moving to the furthers away in my bed I could from the walk. I never wanted to see who they were but I kept wondering what the folks on the other side heard. I did mentioned to my room steward who told me that he would have to have his boss handle. I told him never mind and best not to escalate.

also these folks did let their door SLAM naturally which shook all the unused hangers in my closet.

Also let us not forget about how noisy slamming drawers and closet doors. These neighbors actually were in and out of their drawers 22 times in one night. I counted.

I met a lady in the buffet early on in the 14 day cruise and it was her first. She had a book and was telling me how she wanted to just have a drink and sit somewhere quiet to read. I told her basically to go back to the room.

Then again I told to be wary of balcony noise and lovers next door. Her reply was "no more cruises for me"

Here's my note

To my cabin neighbor

I am so glad to HEAR you are enjoying your cruise. AND we are so glad you were able to satisfy the issue that came UP. So please going forward, please be aware you might not want your enjoyment to be shared with your neighbors.

To the comments on the tray outside the room. I have stayed in a few higher end hotels and boutique hotels where there have been cards on my room service tray to leave it outside the room when done so it can be quickly collected. This may have been an honest mistake by someone who thinks that’s protocol, not an intentionally rude act. A call to room service is polite, but often not required by the hotel. BUT hotels have much wider hallways.
I was thinking about this as I read the comments. As someone who used to travel for work extensively, I've eaten hundreds of room service meals and standard procedure is to leave the tray/cart/whatever in the hall when finished. Usually delivered with a cover, use that same cover and the napkin to cover over the used dishes. That's standard practice. Now on a cruise ship, I don't think I've ever put a tray in the hall mostly because of the tightness. But, I wouldn't consider it wrong if someone else did.

As for the noisy lovers, I've not had that problem on a ship, but, have had it multiple times on land based hotels. The worst is early mornign on the west coast. Folks from the east coast haven't adjusted to the time zone, they are wide awake because their bodies think it's 7 or 8 AM at home but it's only 4 or 5 AM where they are, so, what else is there to do? I've had those neighbors a few times. And of course my body is adjusted, so, I've just been woken up at 4 or 5 and now can't get back to sleep.

Speaking of obnoxious.... We just boarded the Sun and currently at the Garden Cafe having some food .... I witnessed a guy stick his fingers in the cheese tray to get a piece of cheese passing by .... I am so shocked :( . This a total booze cruise btw lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never mentioned linens. If you do not like the dirty plate being by my door, then by all means feel free to pick it up and take it to the buffet as you walk by. It is common practice to do that everywhere I have been.

It is not common practice on a ship. In fact they ask you not to do that. Hallways are small and people in wheel chairs or scooters can not often get by. It is also a hazard if there is an emergency.

Next time you take a cruise, read the info they give you, it specifically states not to leave your dishes out side the door