obnoxious neighbors

purplethorn

Your opinion of what is better is just that, your opinion. Thank you for sharing it with us all. That says a lot.

It's no doubt "better" to not let your door slam which can disturb your neighbors. Do you disagree with that?

How about not putting a tripping hazard in the hallway? Do you disagree with that as well?

Sometimes we do sometimes we don't but we never SLAM the door.

Letting the door close on its own IS letting the door slam.

Wow...so this went down hill fast.

We got into a "war" with our neighbor on one cruise: he yelled at us for talking on our balcony....so later when he decided to smoke on his balcony, we reported it. He got scolded, so then he got mad. Set his computer up to play Scrubs in German at full volume while we were on our balcony...threw breadcrumbs at seagulls from his balcony but threw them around the partition trying to lure the gulls onto ours...stuff like that.

Anyway...it got so bad I asked to switch rooms: if the ship wouldn't have been so full, we could have done that, but there wasn't another suite that slept 3 available.

-------------

As to the dirty dishes in the hall: that is NOT a thing. The concept that someone could think "I don't want this dirty dish in my room cluttering up or stinking up my cabin" could translate to "I'll put it out in the hall to clutter up the hall and stink up the ship" is mind boggling.

Those dishes got to your room somehow, they can go back to whence they came the same way. Room service brought you breakfast? Call room service when you are done to ask them to come get the dishes. Grabbed a plate of cookies at the buffet for a midnight snack? You were able to carry the plate full of food one way, you can certainly carry it back empty.

My mom uses a walker for distances, and in some corridors on the ship, I have had to pick other peoples dirty dishes up so she had room to get by. That should not be my job, and it wouldn't have to be if people were not so lazy and entitled that they can't troubled to take a plate back to where they got it, or to leave it in their own space until their steward could take care of it.

Sorry...touched a nerve.

We had some door slammers on our last cruise in the Haven - seemed to be the teen boys next door who just let the door go resulting in the “slam” and sadly our too frequent wake up call. I noted the parents let them do as they wished in most situations, so guidance on that seemed unlikely (not sure this style parenting is good for the rest of us in society, but I see it a LOT on cruise ships). Sticky notes - door - just sayin...

Great advice! If I was doing something that upset/annoyed someone else, I would prefer they politely address it with me directly as opposed to having security approach me.

Unfortunately you are in the minority. All too often, no matter how politely something is said, people get really defensive about their behavior. Not only on a cruise ship or hotel but the workplace as well.

-------------

My mom uses a walker for distances, and in some corridors on the ship, I have had to pick other peoples dirty dishes up so she had room to get by. That should not be my job, and it wouldn't have to be if people were not so lazy and entitled that they can't troubled to take a plate back to where they got it, or to leave it in their own space until their steward could take care of it.

Sorry...touched a nerve.

Understood. It's bad enough you have to look at the dirty dishes much less have to touch them for your Mom to get by. :mad:

Slamming a door is intentionally forcefully closing the door or physically making an effort to close a door loudly. Going out of your cabin and letting the door close on its own is not slamming a door. Solid doors sometimes make noise when they close.

If the door slams, makes a slamming sound, it really does not matter if someone put a strong arm to throw it closed or if they negligently let it go so that it makes the same loud sound - a slam results. I don’t think when people type “slam” that there is a prior assumption that it was done intentionally. If the sound is loud, intent does not matter - I think most of us hope that our cruise neighbors are empathic enough to care about someone other than themselves (and have taught their children to care). I realize that saying these things with the realities of 2018 may sound naive, but so be it. My parents were intelligent and loving and enjoyed fun, but they managed to raise their children to be adults who are respectful of the rights of others (and so not just selfishly focused on their own).

I am a very straightforward and open minded person.I don't have a single problem with getting up and knocking on someones cabin door and letting them know to be quiet. I pay my hard earned money for vacations (same as everyone else) and I should get to enjoy it. I always set a time frame for noisy people. 1 am on the cruise ship is my cut off time for loud noises. If I hear your music or maniacal laughter on the balcony or the room, I get my butt up and knock on that door. I work in retail and I have to say I am sick and tired of rude, impolite, lazy people. Does no one have any basic common courtesy any more?

Understood. It's bad enough you have to look at the dirty dishes much less have to touch them for your Mom to get by. :mad:

Slide them in front of the door they came from, with a bit of luck they will have bare feet when they step out.

I am a very straightforward and open minded person.I don't have a single problem with getting up and knocking on someones cabin door and letting them know to be quiet. I pay my hard earned money for vacations (same as everyone else) and I should get to enjoy it. I always set a time frame for noisy people. 1 am on the cruise ship is my cut off time for loud noises. If I hear your music or maniacal laughter on the balcony or the room, I get my butt up and knock on that door. I work in retail and I have to say I am sick and tired of rude, impolite, lazy people. Does no one have any basic common courtesy any more?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree everyone should be more courteous. I always try and gently close the door they do slam if left to close by themselves and you can hear this. I am often up at 5 or 6 with kids and know people are still sleeping so make sure kids are quiet first thing in the morning. My cut off for loud noise is way before 1am. I think the best approach is to enjoy yourself but do the best you can on a ship which is very crowded to think about your impact on others. If you are on your balcony talking at midnight, it might annoy me but I don't really feel I can tell you to be quiet you are enjoying yourself. I might not keep my kids as quiet at 6 when they want to play on the balcony though. (actually I still would as I have at least 3 other neighbors.)

I never mentioned linens. If you do not like the dirty plate being by my door, then by all means feel free to pick it up and take it to the buffet as you walk by. It is common practice to do that everywhere I have been.

It's common in hotels, on ships you are not supposed to put your stuff in the hallway. Two reasons, SAFTEY, in an emergency crew or passengers will be tripping over them, the second is that with the narrow hallways some carts, wheelchairs, scooters cannot get past. Just leave the dishes in your room or call to have them picked up.

We got into a "war" with our neighbor on one cruise: he yelled at us for talking on our balcony....so later when he decided to smoke on his balcony, we reported it. He got scolded, so then he got mad. Set his computer up to play Scrubs in German at full volume while we were on our balcony...threw breadcrumbs at seagulls from his balcony but threw them around the partition trying to lure the gulls onto ours...stuff like that.

Damn I wish I would have thought of that, thanks for the tip haha

We have had neighbors who smoked or had a really loud TV. We have had folks play music on their balcony a few doors down, how inconsiderate is that? Nothing can be done as some just have to have those Bluetooth speakers.

I would have to say something. People who listen to the TV loudly at home find it difficult to adjust the decibels once they are in a hotel or cruise ship cabin. The one exception would be if there is some global disaster or news then I might turn the TV on, but I would keep the volume low.

We don't go on vacation to watch Television, and hearing loud TVs drives us up the wall. Loud anything is rude. Talking, music, television, etc. People are (as of late) totally oblivious to anyone around them. It is frustrating to say the least. We always bring ear plugs though, just in case we get next to inconsiderate boneheads who act like they are on their own private yacht.

I would have to say something. People who listen to the TV loudly at home find it difficult to adjust the decibels once they are in a hotel or cruise ship cabin. The one exception would be if there is some global disaster or news then I might turn the TV on, but I would keep the volume low.

We don't go on vacation to watch Television, and hearing loud TVs drives us up the wall. Loud anything is rude. Talking, music, television, etc. People are (as of late) totally oblivious to anyone around them. It is frustrating to say the least. We always bring ear plugs though, just in case we get next to inconsiderate boneheads who act like they are on their own private yacht.

Some people have hearing problems, and some people like watching tv while on vacation. If that bothers you then YOU are the inconsiderate bonehead.

I think some people have an unreasonable expectation of silence on a cruise ship. Silence on the balcony, silence in the observation lounge, they complain that the music on the pool deck is too loud. In public areas and outside I expect some noise on a ship with 3000-5000 people on vacation and having a good time. If you want silence why book a cruise? Go to some isolated resort that specializes in quiet peaceful vacations.

Seriously, how is someone playing music on their balcony a problem as long as it's a reasonable volume? You are outside, you should have no expectation of near total silence.

I think some people have an unreasonable expectation of silence on a cruise ship. Silence on the balcony, silence in the observation lounge, they complain that the music on the pool deck is too loud. In public areas and outside I expect some noise on a ship with 3000-5000 people on vacation and having a good time. If you want silence why book a cruise? Go to some isolated resort that specializes in quiet peaceful vacations.

Seriously, how is someone playing music on their balcony a problem as long as it's a reasonable volume? You are outside, you should have no expectation of near total silence.

If its a normal volume, I don't mind. If its blaring for everyone on our side of the ship, then I do have a problem. I have been lucky to have courteous neighbors and even super fun people that we hung out with most of the cruise. I don't expect total silence but I do expect common courtesy. Not everyone likes the music I like and I wouldn't force everyone to listen to it when they are trying to relax.

Sorry I used the wrong word. I guess it just sounds like a slam when you just let the door go on it's own. :(

I am guilty of accidently letting the door slam. I am more conscious of gently closing the door if it is late at night or early morning.

Be careful if you let the door shut on its own. I found out that the door doesn't always completely latch shut. We came back to the room to find that the door was not locked, and it was not from the room steward. We had forgotten something in the cabin and were back to the room before the steward was around.

Some people have hearing problems, and some people like watching tv while on vacation. If that bothers you then YOU are the inconsiderate bonehead.

I hope you don't mean this. My father has hearing problems. He uses hearing aids.

If you have hearing problems, are you stating that it is your belief that it is reasonable to listen to your TV at a higher than what is considered normal in a situation where it can be heard by neighbors? If so, can you please explain your logic?

Name calling isn't necessary. However, just because someone chooses to watch television is not the issue. The volume of any device should not be loud enough to be heard outside of your cabin. The same applies in apartments and hotels.

We were talking in the sleeping/cabins area, If somebody wants to be loud and have that kind of fun then they should be up at the bars not in the cabins area.

I am okay with any noise during the day , but not at night ... once my DD goes to bed if you wake her you take her :D:D jk of course