Balcony cabin for four

whoah

It has been over 12 years since we have sailed with Princess because I didn’t consider Princess a good family cruise after having childern. Now I see that Princess is making an effort to improve the kids program so I am looking at them again.

We usually sail the Caribbean and the newer ships. I was very disappointed to find that Princess has gone to a balcony cabin configuration where the top bunks for two kids pulls down over the split bed for the parents. I really don’t want to sleep on a bunk bed on vacation. Without going to a suite of some sort, am I missing a cabin configuration where the couch pulls into bed and bunk pulls down on top of couch?

It has been over 12 years since we have sailed with Princess because I didn’t consider Princess a good family cruise after having childern. Now I see that Princess is making an effort to improve the kids program so I am looking at them again.

We usually sail the Caribbean and the newer ships. I was very disappointed to find that Princess has gone to a balcony cabin configuration where the top bunks for two kids pulls down over the split bed for the parents. I really don’t want to sleep on a bunk bed on vacation. Without going to a suite of some sort, am I missing a cabin configuration where the couch pulls into bed and bunk pulls down on top of couch?

I would recommend a mini suite

24402925058_f3ff34a11a_b.jpgOur Cabin

The curtain can be closed and you have a second flat screen TV

Howard

Standard balcony cabin - lower beds in twin configuration upper bunks come down from the ceiling over the twin beds. Some cabins use a roll away for the 4th berth. This is very tight.

Mini- suites lower beds can be in either the queen or twin position, your choice, 3rd bed is the convertible sofa with the 4th bed pulled down from the ceiling over the sofa.

Deluxe balcony, only on Royal Class ships, - Believe, not certain, the configuration is similar to the mini suites, but access to the balcony is blocked when 3rd and 4th berths are in use.

In both balcony and deluxe balcony 4 people will be very tight. Would suggest a mini suite or two cabins, one balcony and one interior across from each other.

I would do four in a quad minisuite (with the bunk bed above sofabed for the 2 kids, and they would have their own TV, with queen bed for parents) or else two balcony cabins next to each other with the balcony doors connected (if the kids are old enough to have their own cabin and balcony access). With the latter you can book one adult in each cabin for the booking age minimum rule and then split up into parents/kids when you board.

We were just on the Island Princess and had a balcony cabin for 4, but in reality it was meant for 3, as the forth got a rollaway bed. It was a tight fit and in fact our desk chair had to be kept outside in the balcony in order to fit in the rollaway. The cabin was way too small, in comparison to Royal Caribbean, if you book out a 4 person balcony cabin, there is a sofa bed, a drop down bunk and 2 twin size beds that you can convert to a Queen.

I would do four in a quad minisuite (with the bunk bed above sofabed for the 2 kids, and they would have their own TV, with queen bed for parents) or else two balcony cabins next to each other with the balcony doors connected (if the kids are old enough to have their own cabin and balcony access). With the latter you can book one adult in each cabin for the booking age minimum rule and then split up into parents/kids when you board.

Unless it's different in some minis (I've been in a mini once, so limited experience)...both TVs at the same time was annoying. You can hear the dialogue from both at the same time.

Also, when we did have both TVs on and changed the channel with the remote on one, the other TV changed channels, too. :eek:

Luckily, we didn't need 2 TVs.

Deluxe balcony, only on Royal Class ships, - Believe, not certain, the configuration is similar to the mini suites, but access to the balcony is blocked when 3rd and 4th berths are in use..

We were in a Deluxe Obstructed cabin on Emerald deck. I slept on the single sofa bed and could access the balcony by simply swinging my legs to the other side of the bed. It's not blocked.

Balcony cabins on Princess do not have a couch. It will be very uncomfortable to have 4 people in the small balcony cabins, as suggested a mini suite is the way to go.

Deluxe Balcony cabins on Royal and Regal princess have a sofa bed. It was actually more comfortable than their regular single beds.

We’ve gone on several cruises with the sister’s family of 4 including 2 teenage boys. They did the minisuite once but the 2nd TV bothered them as the kids kept it on all the time. The last 2 cruises they’ve gotten a balcony and an interior right across the hall. The kids are in the interior and hook up their video game and can play whenever they want. Their mom gets a mommy key so she can check on them anytime. They all like that arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I first started cruising on Sitmar (who later sold to Princess) there were no balconies. I started in interiors and we had 3 to 4 in a cabin and I was so happy to be on a cruise I didn't care. There was enough closet and drawer space and I never spent time in the cabin anyway. A few years later we did an ocean view (which was just a porthole barely above the water line) and I thought that was marvelous. My first balcony was on the original Regal Princess and it was only one foot deep, just enough to stand. Years later when I got a real balcony I thought I was in heaven and would never accept anything else. Then I got a comp upgrade to a full suite and thoroughly enjoyed the balcony. I didn't let myself get too carried away as I knew I could not afford to pay for one.

I have had a few upgrades and upsells to minis, which I love and consider myself very fortunate. Occasionally on a 7 day cruise I can find a mini priced just a little more than a balcony so I will then book into a mini.

So I guess to get back to the original post about more than two adults in a balcony, I'd say it depends on how well you know them and how well you like them.

We were just on the Emerald Princess and had a balcony cabin for 4, but in reality it was meant for 3, as the forth got a rollaway bed. It was a tight fit and in fact our desk chair had to be kept outside in the balcony in order to fit in the rollaway.
Same as us. We didn’t mind terribly as it was myself, my mom and my 2 teen sons and we are pretty easygoing- but it was the worst configuration of any quad room we have ever had on any other cruise line. Including interior. We always book quad and are very happy to

We have cruised 4 to a cabin several times. All adults, none young, but not so old we can't climb a ladder for 4 steps. We found that obstructed view window cabins on ships like Ruby (grand class?) are larger than balcony cabins. The width of the balcony is added to the cabin length. But we are a very adaptable family don't think it would work on the Royal class cabins unless you went to a mini-suite.