New to Carnival

KPookey

I know you are Carnival enthusiasts here. I’ve been taking RCCL cruises, mostly (smaller, older ships). I’m contemplating Breeze or Magic, next summer. I’ve got a big group and the prices, on Carnival, are much cheaper. Also, the ships look like a ton of fun. I have kids going 12-19. I’m going to be honest, people say...don’t sail Carnival, but I’m wondering what you all LOVE, over other lines.

Also, does anyone know if there are perks to booking as a group of 15-20.

After 26 cruises with Carnival, we've never been disappointed. We love the attitude of the staff and the price of the product. They do a wonderful job with kids, and there's something for everyone! I see that you're looking at the Breeze and the Magic. Magic is one of our favorite ships!

My question is - those people who tell you not to sail Carnival - have they ever sailed on Carnival?? I have found that most haven't, they're just going on what they've heard.

Let me tell you facts - I've been on many Carnival cruises (14 I think), and I've never seen any of the behavior that I've heard happens on a Carnival cruise! In fact, the worst drunken behavior I've ever seen was on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Really.

I've found that they are more alike than different. My opinion: the food is better on Carnival and the shows are better on Royal.

A cruise, like any other vacation, is what you make it. Go with a positive attitude and you'll have a wonderful time. If you want every tiny thing to be perfect you'll be disappointed. Life is not perfect.

I've been on about 20 RCCL cruises, a handful of Carnival, Disney and Princess ones. If you are used to traveling on older RCCL ships, the young people in your party are likely to be blown away by the poolside movies, waterslides, ropes course, etc. on the newer Carnival ships like the Magic .

I love Royal Caribbean but our next trip is on the Carnival Magic and we're so excited. (Bringing 2 younger people.) Carnival in the past has offered some lovely touches that Royal Caribbean doesn't. I haven't found a wilder party atmosphere on Carnival versus other lines (other than Princess which has a very quiet, very elderly clientele).

It's always fun to try a new ship or a new cruiseline! Go for it!

I have never arranged a group cruise, so I can be of no help there. However, with 90+ Carnival cruises and 30+ RCCL cruises, I feel you will be fine on Carnival. Royal has many loyalists who look down on Carnival and bad mouth the line regularly with little or no Carnival cruise experience. Any single cruise on either line can be average or spectacular depending on the crew, ports, weather, sea conditions, food prep, etc. Go on Carnival, I believe you will find the experience comparable to Royal, with each line having ships that are better in some areas than others

Breeze & Magic are the same class of ship, but I like Breeze a little bit better. On that class, I like the ropes course, water slides, Guy's Burgers, Alchemy Bar, Red Frog Pub & the patio area outside of the pub, 24/7 ice cream & pizza on Lido, Blue Iguana Cantina. I feel staff on Carnival & Royal are always friendly. I love Carnival's comedy club. I think Royal's production shows have a bit more talent, though. I think food is pretty equal overall.

There are perks for group cruises on most carnival sailings. You need atleast 8 cabins in your group. Keyword is cabins... they dont care about the number of people as long as you have 8 cabins or more...

Your group may get amenity points depending on the sailing. You can purchase additional points if you want. You can use those amenity points to purchase things like extra on board credit, wine, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, bath robes/slippers, shared cocktail parties, private cocktail parties and etc.

Also the group leader gets credit if you have 8 cabins. I was the group leader in my group and I used the credit to get money off my booking.... I took the money I would have used for my booking and I purchased more amenity points so that I can order more things for the group. Also I ordered things from the fun shop for the group with the extra money I had.

Just call Carnival group department for more information. A good agent will explain everything to you... The only thing I will add is being the group leader is extra work. You will be the middle man or woman between Carnival and the people in your group.

Edited by Treyatl2006

I was a loyal Royal for years and always heard negative things about Carnival so I never went.

Four years ago I went on Splendor from New York with the attitude that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to go back.

Going on my 12th Carnival in two weeks so safe to say, I like it:):)

You can only decide for yourself if it's for you!

I like cruising on RCL, but I also enjoy Carnival. I really like Carnival's comedy shows because they have comedians who have several different adult and family shows so we are able to watch a variety of different shows almost the entire duration of the cruises. I also like Guy's Burger and the Mexican food that is available poolside. It's great to have a quick, hot lunch while lounging. Carnival also has a fun vibe. I was a bit nervous before my first Carnival cruise because of things I read, but after cruising on Carnival I realized it was nothing like that. You often hear about crazy things happening, but that's not typical in my experience. All of my Carnival cruises have been a lot of fun. I will say that I never cruised during spring break, so that might make a difference.

The "Walmart" of the seas is a bad and unnecessary rap. Besides, what's wrong with Walmart? Yes, it's budget compared to Princess or Disney. We love Carnival and the staff. We also loved the Magic. The Cloud 9 Spa balcony cabin was amazing.

Been on both RCCL and Carnival. So similar it's really hard to tell the difference. I'm stymied why people dis on Carnival. We've always had great service, good food. Never witnessed the crazy antics that are said to be a common occurrence on Carnival. I say pick an itinerary and price that works.