3 strikes and your out

Hawaiidan

Too many cheerleaders here... I agree that O owes you something. Not fair when two of your cruises get cancelled due to charters.

We looked at the first one. Which was Monte Carlo to Rome. O cancelled that and made this a charter from Barcelona to Rome -- a food and wine group also. Now they are cancelling the next let in favor of another tour group. There has to be something more to this. Maybe the first wine group or portion of them are continuing ??

My suggestion -- is to get your TA to try to push you on the Marina which does the same ports and more -- also starting on the 3rd of May.

or you might want to try the earlier wine group??

http://www.petronivineyards.com/wine-club/2019-wine-club-cruise/

Watch out when it happens to you. One of Oceania's strategic goals is to sell more Charters.

Edited by PaulMCO

Dan,

I have to agree that what has happened to you is disturbing - no matter how unusual or “rare” it may be.

I have stated on these boards repeatedly that at present Oceania is my favorite cruise line. That said, I have also stated that if things change significantly in the future, that may no longer be the case.

There is no question in my mind that Oceania today is not the line I started cruising with many years ago. It still ticks more boxes for me that any other line but things are changing.

Some of these future changes may include things like decrease in food quality and service experience; significant change in clientele and overall ambience, valuing group bookings over individuals, decrease in value for money and others.

Your experience, if it happened to me as you describe it, may just be another reason.

We have a couple of cruises coming up in Oct/Nov as well as next year and I will continue to evaluate the “Oceania experience”.

Too many cheerleaders here... I agree that O owes you something. Not fair when two of your cruises get cancelled due to charters.

We looked at the first one. Which was Monte Carlo to Rome. O cancelled that and made this a charter from Barcelona to Rome -- a food and wine group also. Now they are cancelling the next let in favor of another tour group. There has to be something more to this. Maybe the first wine group or portion of them are continuing ??

My suggestion -- is to get your TA to try to push you on the Marina which does the same ports and more -- also starting on the 3rd of May.

or you might want to try the earlier wine group??

http://www.petronivineyards.com/wine-club/2019-wine-club-cruise/

Watch out when it happens to you. One of Oceania's strategic goals is to sell more Charters.

Thanks to both Pauls.... I am not a babe in the woods when it comes to travel but this double screw job took me by surprise as it was a 180 turn from the honorable O I knew.

The May 3 out of BCN on Marina would still nail me me with over an additional 800 in change fees, plus I can not get a flight at this date. except for full fare !!!.. ( I am mot going to lay out$ 20,000 for a replacement Bus class tickets myself and guests)

Unless I can find who they sold out too and join up with them I am tubed.... And my relation with O or Regent is KAPUT.... on rational and ethical basis. How could you ever go back to such a company knowing how they operate. But I am sure they dont give a rats rear end

1 year ago I booked a cruise Monte Carlo to Rome and paid in full... 6 months latter they cancelled the cruise without warning or Agent notification till after the fact made it a Rome to Monte Carlo cruise. and begged to passengers to re book on the new cruise so they did.

Then 3 months pass and then they inform everyone so sorry we are chartering now, dont let the cabin door hit you in the rear...Thank you for your understanding, Too bad for all the non refundable Air, car hotel expenses you went through 3 months ago but at least you can eat those all over again Strike 2

Strike 3.....pending we will book you on several already fully booked cruises in higher cabins and give you $1000 if your dumb enough to to book the 3rd time for a similar cruise I considered it but am waiting for freezen weather forecast in hell to be broadcast , before I book anything again.

Has any one heard the phrase Fool me 1 time shame on you Fool me 2nd time shame on me....

Has anyone experienced the same cruise being created, cancelled, re organized and then cancelled again? Its A first for me...and a last !

Doe that mean you are done with Oceania?

King

Mary, I have spent years narrowing down a cruise line that is what I like O was it.. I have run out of options... And it appears that the good times of the past are now memories. time to find not another cruise line but an other activity.There is more to life, in life that ship travel.....and easy to move on. Too bad,

It is not my agent he is a miracle worker, got things I never dreamed of getting. However, He is just as frustrated, as I. My takeaway is that in the last year there has been a big shift in the way O is run and by who. Lots of changes and none good lie down the road.

Hi Dan, if you have paid in full for the cruise here in the U.K you would be covered by ABTA rules, you have a contract that would be enforceable for all expenses incurred if the cruise is cancelled.

My advise is go to the press and try to get the problem solved by them ,bad publicity will not be enjoyed by O.

If you look at the list on the left hand side of the page, you'll see the many cruises this same travel agency has booked on Oceania. That represents a lot of clout. No fun to be on the wrong end of Oceania's decision, but that list certainly makes clear the cruise line's priorities.

If you look at the list on the left hand side of the page, you'll see the many cruises this same travel agency has booked on Oceania. That represents a lot of clout. No fun to be on the wrong end of Oceania's decision, but that list certainly makes clear the cruise line's priorities.

Wow.I see 16 over the next 14 months.Where does that leave us???

If you look at the list on the left hand side of the page, you'll see the many cruises this same travel agency has booked on Oceania. That represents a lot of clout. .

I think a lot of those are small groups not full charters

But in any case to change the game this close to sailing sure does not inspire confidence in O :eek:

One would think so.....O would be loyal to that group...right. ! Well my friends O just cancelled their charter and screwed them same as me. At least O is treating everyone the same.... The Priority is now O will be loyal to none and it is based on who will pay the most .

They have no problem bouncing off a group of booked passengers for a charter, AND then kicking off one charter for another.... I hope the current charter group realizes that if someone else comes along and and O can squeeze them for more then they are history. Clearly O likes this bidding war scheme.

The truly sad and disturbing thing is whether your a passenger, a tour group, a charter group, O could care less about any promise or contracts made.

Their actions are such that they will roll over on anyone at any time if they can make more money and will tear up any agreement at the drop of a hat...

Is that a company you would want to do business with....... They now embrace the words of Gordon Geko in Wall Street.................For Us....GREED IS GOOD

not Ideal but if you could get on the cruise from Barcelona

could you not just get flights from FCO to BCN maybe not with points but some are under $200

Yes that would work.... except that I can not get flight to FCO for the times offered, And likewise at this late date can not get a return flight! Well I could but I would first have to cancel my current reservations and re-deposit the miles for about $800. Then buy a regular business class fare which would run around $9500.00 each Even with a brokered ticket It would run $6000.00 each. I am not going to do coach for a 12 hour flight....

Good air deals have to be booked 330 days out or your paying 70% more. I can not afford that.

The overall problem, created 2 times already in less than 90 days and going for a 3rd is compounded by O's arrogant refusal to help in any way....except as it suits them. They smugly cite " we have a contract and er can do what we want, when we want and to who we want"

Gee.... makes you real eager to book with a company with those sort of ethics.....doesn't it????

And here is frosting on the cake....O is still sending our mailings advertising this cruise to get unsuspecting customers to play with. They know they are sold out... so why do they still fraudulently still advertise it aggressively ???? What is their game???

I’ve sailed with Food &Wine Trails on O before. Lots of fun good organization. However, I believe Dan’s info is wrong. Our Group was 52 people not an entire ship. I don’t believe they have ever put any Group together larger than maybe a 100! They certainly didn’t charter the entire ship! I’ll give them a call later today( they’re out of CA) and get a real story as opposed to guesses.

Yes that would work.... except that I can not get flight to FCO for the times offered,

Well silly me

I thought you were flying into FCO May 1st for the cruise May 3rd that was just cancelled

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56859395&postcount=7

Would you really need BUS class for a 2 hr flight to Barcelona ??

I am sure you will figure something out

Well silly me

I thought you were flying into FCO May 1st for the cruise May 3rd that was just cancelled

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56859395&postcount=7

Would you really need BUS class for a 2 hr flight to Barcelona ??

I am sure you will figure something out

No I dont need Business class FCO to BCN only LAX to BCN and FCO to LAX There exist no MAY 3 departures for a 7 day cruise. Only 14 day+ out of BCN. The only options were BCN April 26 June and July All of which had no Air available. Thanks for your suggestions , however, I appreciate it.

This is truly depressing as to Pintlover I called the Wine folks and they called me back, very upset to be told they too had been kicked off ! Thats the real story amigo, no reason to infer different.

The actual truth, not withstanding wild statements made by Dan, is they did have customers signed up for the original cruise. They NEVER had the entire ship chartered, but only a specific number of cabins.

They only learned of the change very recently and are awaiting word, promised within a few days, on how their cruise might be rescheduled. At that time, they will work with anyone having already purchased airfare.

Dan has made several misleading statements on this matter already including having paid for the cruise in full and F& WT having completely chartered the ship. Even though I have sincere sympathy for his situation, I do wish he’d get his facts correct before making wild exaggerations here.

I’ve sailed with Food &Wine Trails on O before. Lots of fun good organization. However, I believe Dan’s info is wrong. Our Group was 52 people not an entire ship. I don’t believe they have ever put any Group together larger than maybe a 100! They certainly didn’t charter the entire ship! I’ll give them a call later today( they’re out of CA) and get a real story as opposed to guesses.

I'd be very curious about the numbers.

We were trying to think how a huge wine group would set up the types of wine dinners we've been to, which were always a (relatively) small group, in one large room, with a speaker or vineyard rep discussing the wines as the courses were served, etc.

And then there are the vineyard visits... even splitting up a full Riviera/Marina ship into 3 or 4 groups... that's going to overwhelm all but the massive places (which aren't likely to be the most interesting), etc.

But I'm sure it *could* be done, if some group wanted to organize it all that way...

We'll be eager for your report, pinotlover.

We are on one of the cruises listed on their brochure, so we are now making alternate plans "just in case".

And we also wonder how much of the ship would be affected by *any* group... which areas would be "off limits and when", etc., if it's not a full charter. Will they be using one of the Specialty restaurants (a more manageable size for a "wine dinner"), and will those with reservations be able to be re-booked, etc.?

At least, so far, it doesn't seem that O is having half a ship being some rock group and rowdy following. (Probably the price point helps with some of this.)

pinotlover: Might you be willing to email us (see semi anony-mail ;) address in signature below) about your experience with the wine group? Thanks either way.

GC

The actual truth, not withstanding wild statements made by Dan, is they did have customers signed up for the original cruise. They NEVER had the entire ship chartered, but only a specific number of cabins.

They only learned of the change very recently and are awaiting word, promised within a few days, on how their cruise might be rescheduled. At that time, they will work with anyone having already purchased airfare.

Dan has made several misleading statements on this matter already including having paid for the cruise in full and F& WT having completely chartered the ship. Even though I have sincere sympathy for his situation, I do wish he’d get his facts correct before making wild exaggerations here.

First you fact are wrong.... I did pay in full almost 6 months ago how would you know how I paid???.

Second the wine people did have a charter and were bounced/kicked off the same cruise. That they told me yesterday by phone..they were not happy. I did not say how many or how few the wine group was.. only that they had a charter arrangement , ( according to them) and were kicked off by another charter

My claims are not as wild as yours amigo claiming you had inside info on how I paid for my cruise, really?. hack my bank account? Have a crystal ball? Come on...

In the final analysis O kicked off passengers and charter groups in favor of a more lucrative and for passengers not using O's air offered nothing in any way. Further, refused to provide any information or assistance. and they did it several times in less than 90 days... Not once, but twice for the same cruise

. The first time was polite and, if you change we will promise you this cruise. Then you book that cruise and 90 days later you get slammed again, this time by a rather terse letter offering nothing but "its our right pal" and a refund. Nothing else. Thats not a wild claim that hard and cold fact that can not be spun your way.

No one was willing to work with already purchased air with me......

Where is Riviera going afterwards? We are booked on the May 10th Rome to Venice and I am a bit curious/worried about the 5 day period in between my cruise and the end of the cancelled Room to Monte Carlo cruise? Dry dock, or a charter?

I am curious, There is not a May 10th cruise, do you mean May 15th?