Nor easter on Saturday and leaving for New England/Canada

lauren0309

I was on that Sandy cruise and lost my car in the parking lot.  They had told us to park in a certain area, that the water never got that high.  Well Sandy proved them wrong.  I don't think this storm will pack quite the punch that Sandy did.

39 minutes ago, lauren0309 said:

It does look like the pier is surrounded on both sides by water. We have decided to take an Uber or Lyft from our house. $75.00 is not  bad and at least we won't have to worry about our car being washed away.

I hope you did not mind me telling you about what happen during Sandy.  I don't know if this storm will make the pier flood.   I just checked the cost of parking there.  It is $25. per night. Plus the cost of gas and tolls, the Uber might be cheaper and drier. 

51 minutes ago, toeloop said:

I was on that Sandy cruise and lost my car in the parking lot.  They had told us to park in a certain area, that the water never got that high.  Well Sandy proved them wrong.  I don't think this storm will pack quite the punch that Sandy did.

Sorry to hear that yo did lose your car.  How did you get back home?

32 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

I hope you did not mind me telling you about what happen during Sandy.  I don't know if this storm will make the pier flood.   I just checked the cost of parking there.  It is $25. per night. Plus the cost of gas and tolls, the Uber might be cheaper and drier. 

No I do not mind. Uber will take the stress out of driving in the heavy rain and worrying about the parking situation.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:27 PM, Coral said:

I was on a cruise several years ago that started October 23rd out of Quebec City. We had white out conditions due to snow in Quebec City during our pre-cruise and stayed in the hotel for both days. It was still ugly when we boarded the ship - the crew had made snowman on the Lido deck.

We got to Boston on the 31st and it was the best fall foliage day and simply gorgeous.

We were on this cruise with Coral, too, and I agree the weather was wonderful once we left Quebec.  The snow was exciting for us as well, being from FL!  

18 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i sure dont think 2 inches of rain and 60 mph winds  can wash our cars away

sandy was a bit more powerful and we would know by today if this was to be even close to that and no reports at all that bad a hurricane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Sandy_in_New_York

I don't think it will be anything like Sandy.  But there is more to a storm than rain and wind.  Storm surge, time of high tide etc.  What I found interesting was  Toeloop"s above post saying they told them to park in a certain area of the lot, because the water never got that high.  So, I guess it does flood in storm that are not a powerful as Sandy.

I just went to Weather Underground.  I seems that when I clicked on the map where the pier is located, they are call for possible floods.  Below is the link.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?zoom=5&lat=37.80307138624724&lon=-90.50826873347978&wxstn=0&wxstnmode=tw&radar=0&radaropa=0.7&satellite=0&satelliteopa=0.8&insertHurricaneNameHere=false&goes16opa=&severe=1&severeopa=0.9&sst=0&sstopa=0.8&sstanom=0&sstanomopa=0.8&cam=0&fronts=0&hur=0&models=0&modelsmodel=ecmwf&modelsopa=0.8&modelstype=SURPRE&lightning=0&fire=0&fireopa=0.9&rep=0&surge=0&tor=0

On the Regal right now and we missed St. John. Weather has been cold but the sun is out this afternoon. It is supposed to start raining tonight and will be raining tomorrow as we disembark. Regardless this has been a fantastic cruise. The Regal is a wonderful ship. Both the food and service has been fantastic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Sorry to hear that yo did lose your car.  How did you get back home?

Well.. Red Hook was closed as it had a lot of damage.  We were supposed to sail to Bermuda but due to the storm we went to Boston and sat there for a couple of days.  We returned 2 days late to the Piers in Manhattan.  We had to carry off the luggage due to damage and limited power availability.   Princess offered buses to either the bus terminal or Newark International airport.  When we found this out, I got on line and rented one of the last cars at the airport.  A ford focus..cost me $110 a day.. can we say price gouging!  I live in Delaware so I was about a two hour drive home.  Car wasn't towed until sometime in late January.  They had so many to tow in the area that they couldn't keep up.  The process was a major headache.

34 minutes ago, toeloop said:

Well.. Red Hook was closed as it had a lot of damage.  We were supposed to sail to Bermuda but due to the storm we went to Boston and sat there for a couple of days.  We returned 2 days late to the Piers in Manhattan.  We had to carry off the luggage due to damage and limited power availability.   Princess offered buses to either the bus terminal or Newark International airport.  When we found this out, I got on line and rented one of the last cars at the airport.  A ford focus..cost me $110 a day.. can we say price gouging!  I live in Delaware so I was about a two hour drive home.  Car wasn't towed until sometime in late January.  They had so many to tow in the area that they couldn't keep up.  The process was a major headache.

You had a lot to deal with.  So many people loose so much in storms.

I am wondering how the Regal is doing as she was leaving today.  Having a terrible Nor'easter; high tides, flooding, etc.  But definitely not as bad as Sandy (we lost our home, cars, belongings, as did so many others).   This storm is a fast-moving one, so hopefully this cruise is an enjoyable one for all aboard.

The Regal left the terminal late. At around 6:40pm, i noticed it was pulling away from the terminal. Most likely they were waiting for the winds and currents to improve for better sailing

Edited by shof515

We just were on the Regal beginning September 22. We had to miss St. John due to high seas and wind. Captain Stringer felt that it was best.

Edited by nini
Selected highlight instead of text color

51 minutes ago, shof515 said:

The Regal left the terminal late. At around 6:40pm, i noticed it was pulling away from the terminal. Most likely they were waiting for the winds and currents to improve for better sailing

Thanks for the info.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

Can I ask you a question since you're from that area?  If you had the choice to cruise starting on Sept. 29th or Oct. 6th, which would you choose?  We did a Canada/NE that started on Sept. 29th last year and it was truly one of our best cruises.  It only rained once or twice at night and we had absolutely gorgeous days.  Was this a fluke?

We went October 7th last year. We had “grunge” in Newport and Boston (cloudy and rainy but not cold) and spectacular weather in New York and all our ports. The foliage was good...just ahead of peak in Maine and Canada.

853A2942-A549-4D26-BAB9-DFD6C69439EF.jpeg

609992A0-16C9-4FDC-8859-2C4AD1EA8D8D.jpeg

606DFD22-EC1B-44B8-BBB2-ED07B535A3B3.jpeg

93A37677-8140-4BAE-B016-CA8331BA96F3.jpeg

On 10/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, shof515 said:

i was on the bridge with the captain wednesday and he said he called HQ and told them of the weather saturday and they said if it was unsafe not to go. from his demeanor it seemed like they wanted to put it on him not to go. i dont know if it really was unsafe but it sure was miserable. he said 17 m swells and he said 1st time ever he had to come on the PA so much in  the cabins and tell people to get seasick pills. he was also very worries that 1st time cruisers would leave the ship with a bad impression. sunday morning was bad with having to hold on for dear life during my shower. but being in the forward most cabin was a disadvantage for sure this trip but it was cool looking out the front window. 

On 10/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, shof515 said:

We left late due to a search and rescue operation going on involving a missing crew member off of a cargo ship. It bottled up the channel pretty good. The Norwegian Breakaway was called into service on her way in to assist the efforts. She eventually made it into NY around 8:00 pm...14 hours late. We have experienced rougher seas. The Regal handled them beautifully!

it was hard to see in weather but i did see it was NCL coming back but i knew no ship ever comes back in the evening so i didnt understand why i was seeing this

regarding the rough seas i have to disagree. 1st time i ever got sick but perhaps being the most forward in the ship had something to do with it. 

21 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

it was hard to see in weather but i did see it was NCL coming back but i knew no ship ever comes back in the evening so i didnt understand why i was seeing this

regarding the rough seas i have to disagree. 1st time i ever got sick but perhaps being the most forward in the ship had something to do with it. 

So sorry to hear about your seasickness. We were just aft of the forward stair tower. Perhaps this was enough to quell the movement overnight, well, that and one Bonine Saturday evening and another Sunday morning.

Edited by releck97

On 11/2/2018 at 1:01 PM, luckyinpa said:

i was on the bridge with the captain wednesday and he said he called HQ and told them of the weather saturday and they said if it was unsafe not to go. from his demeanor it seemed like they wanted to put it on him not to go. i dont know if it really was unsafe but it sure was miserable. he said 17 m swells and he said 1st time ever he had to come on the PA so much in  the cabins and tell people to get seasick pills. he was also very worries that 1st time cruisers would leave the ship with a bad impression. sunday morning was bad with having to hold on for dear life during my shower. but being in the forward most cabin was a disadvantage for sure this trip but it was cool looking out the front window. 

17 m is 55 feet. I don't think we were in those seas!  The captain is normally given the final decision on sail vs. no sail.