Oceania vs. Celebrity

Cruise a holic

Hello,

We are frequent Celebrity and secondly Royal cruisers.  We enjoy the Celebrity ships, especially the S class.  We are thinking of taking a "no-fly" cruise to Bermuda next summer.  First how does Oceania compare-price, cabins, service, food, entertainment and other categories.  We would probably sail in Concierge class- but if we could secure a really good deal-penthouse.

I "assume" we would book from a TA and want to know if we would be entitled to any perks-  Also when is the best (cheapest) time to book.

Thanks.

I hate to be "that guy" but this has been discussed time and time again here. If search is working you'll get all the discussion you care to read on the subject. 

I cruise them both. Be prepared to pay much more for Oceania, although there are some that will argue that point, be prepared for a much quieter, calmer experience. 

There are many that are unhappy with Celebrity and are hoping for a much better experience. They are usually the first to be disappointed, in my opinion.

I like them both and am still happy with both products.  You just need to understand the differences. 

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Hello,

We are frequent Celebrity and secondly Royal cruisers.  We enjoy the Celebrity ships, especially the S class.  We are thinking of taking a "no-fly" cruise to Bermuda next summer.  First how does Oceania compare-price, cabins, service, food, entertainment and other categories.  We would probably sail in Concierge class- but if we could secure a really good deal-penthouse.

I "assume" we would book from a TA and want to know if we would be entitled to any perks-  Also when is the best (cheapest) time to book.

Thanks.

There's quite a few threads on CC explaining why Oceania may be a far better choice than Celebrity for you. You should search for/read the numerous posts. That said, there's plenty of reasons why so many former Celebrity cruisers have moved up to Oceania. 

Before we get to the vast difference in quality, note that you should not compare just "cabin price." Your post mentions "no fly." Recognize that Oceania's "O Life" price includes air fare or an air credit. Also included are unlimited internet, beverages, unlimited specialty restaurants and a choice of complimentary alcohol, excursions or OBC. In addition, most of Oceania's top selling TAs (e.g., Connoisseurs Club members) provide gratuities and share commissions as a rebate or as refundable OBC. Also, Oceania rotates time limited "partner sales" with their preferred TAs. So, there's no specific "best time" to book. BTW, "book onboard" includes a price change match guarantee up to embarkation day as well as a discounted price.

In summary, if price is a major issue for you, compare "bottom lines" for ALL required/optional expenses.

As for quality: Oceania has few equals when it comes to food. A study posted here on CC a few years ago pointed out that O spends far more dollars per passenger than any mass market line. And the Jacques Pepin curated restaurants are stellar. In addition, the space and crew to passenger ratios are excellent. Cabin amenities include excellent bedding and Bulgari toiletries. 

The passenger loads are ideal: Under 700 on the four R ships and 1100 on the two O ships. In this arena, consider that, when Oceania purchased the Ocean Princess from Princess several years ago, it spent $40 million to turn it into Sirena.

The passenger demographic is heavily post 50 yrs old though short cruises, particularly Med/Alaska, will find families with well behaved kids. O is a favorite for college alumni sponsored cruises. IMO, O regulars are generally well traveled, well educated and professionally experienced folks who have worked hard for their money.

A real plus is that there are no prom nights, art auctions, incessant announcements, amusement parks or "nickel diming." Smoking is highly restricted.

One caveat: Though the week long Caribbean cruises are fine on O, it is the longer itineraries to more exotic/unusual locations where Oceania shines. (We pretty much never do less than 3 weeks at a time).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1

We are Celebrity refugees.  We have cruised with X since 2000.  I agree with all of the above.  We have never been disappointed with O.  Best comparison for us is the R Class are similar to the old X "Century" and the O Class are like the Millenium on X.  To us Oceania, today, is like Celebrity was in 2001.  Oceania wins on food hands down, even comparing X in 2000. 

This December, we are trying X on a short "preview" cruise to experience the new X "Edge" and the Edge "modernization".  Will we like it? Time will tell.

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I hate to be "that guy" but this has been discussed time and time again here. If search is working you'll get all the discussion you care to read on the subject. 

I cruise them both. Be prepared to pay much more for Oceania, although there are some that will argue that point, be prepared for a much quieter, calmer experience. 

There are many that are unhappy with Celebrity and are hoping for a much better experience. They are usually the first to be disappointed, in my opinion.

I like them both and am still happy with both products.  You just need to understand the differences. 

Product offerings are not static, things do change over time so old posts and reviews may no longer apply.

Regarding Oceania, what other cruise line offers unlimited lobster at every lunch (Waves) and dinner (Terrace)?

Oceania menus: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/dining/

if if you are a night owl and need lots of entertainment Oceania may not be for you. If you like very good food, smaller ships, outstanding beds and a refined atmosphere I suspect you will like Oceania.

We have been on more than 35 Celebrity cruises, and since we’ve seen a decline in that product, we left X and came over to Oceania and haven’t regretted the move——not one tiny bit.  We don’t go for shows or fancy entertainment, but we love great food and service, in which Oceania excels.   We also don’t want the big crowds or lots of kids, so O meets that requirement also. 

On O, all non-alcohol beverages are included, including special coffees, unlike on X.  There’s lobster for lunch and dinner every night in the buffet and there’s no charge for their specialty restaurants.  

The only thing Celebrity and Oceania have in common is that they are both cruise lines.

We are Elite Plus and had always sailed in Aqua Class cabins. Two years ago we noticed the quality of food in Blu had declined significantly. We also noticed Celebrity seems to be going after a different profile of clientele than us. (Retired, age 62 and 63.) I can't quite explain, but it just isn't the Celebrity we once knew. 

Oceania all the way for us.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

Op. You may have noticed a theme. There are a few posters who had issues, didn’t like cut backs and moved to Oceania from X. You still seem to like them (as do I) no doubt the food generally available would be better on O but how much do you enjoy a livelier atmosphere of X. The shows, the nightlife?  You have to balance it all. 

MY opinion  is

just try Oceania   & see if it  works for your wants/needs

It is  a more subdued  ambiance  than the main stream lines 

Small ships   will have less bells & whistles & cabin sizes  may not  be the same as the largers ship  so make sure you compare the Sq footage  to what you are used to

If you are used to cabins that are 500 sq ft   do not  choose an A  or B Balcony cabin

is not to everyone's  tastes

only you can decide if it works  for YOU

On 10/26/2018 at 12:41 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

We are Celebrity refugees.  We have cruised with X since 2000.  I agree with all of the above.  We have never been disappointed with O.  Best comparison for us is the R Class are similar to the old X "Century" and the O Class are like the Millenium on X.  To us Oceania, today, is like Celebrity was in 2001.  Oceania wins on food hands down, even comparing X in 2000. 

This December, we are trying X on a short "preview" cruise to experience the new X "Edge" and the Edge "modernization".  Will we like it? Time will tell.

Cost was mention somewhere. At leastbOceanis includes their restaurants. celebrity they are all extra. Find the drink package is high. If onnO ships much bigger cabins.

2 hours ago, ellbon said:

Cost was mention somewhere. At leastbOceanis includes their restaurants. celebrity they are all extra. Find the drink package is high. If onnO ships much bigger cabins.

Not just specialty restaurants, O also includes beverages, internet, choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC and airfare/air credit (note: with international routing, thus single cost can be the great price equalizer with Celebrity). And we haven't even added O's far superior food, crew/space to passenger ratios et al.

41 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not just specialty restaurants, O also includes beverages, internet, choice of alcohol, excursions or OBC and airfare/air credit (note: with international routing, thus single cost can be the great price equalizer with Celebrity). And we haven't even added O's far superior food, crew/space to passenger ratios et al.

I  do not get the Olife package but the OBC. I know I get internet. doing my 5th cruise with them.since it is the carribbean I only needed one tour.

7 minutes ago, ellbon said:

I  do not get the Olife package but the OBC. I know I get internet. doing my 5th cruise with them.since it is the carribbean I only needed one tour.

The OBC is a choice in the Olife package. Unless it's OBC from somewhere else you are getting the Olife. Being your 5th cruise you will get Bronze level OBC also. 

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It doesn’t include a lot of that. You’re paying for it. The price without the Olife package is usually about the same amount as the OBC less than with the package. 

cruise only price  you still get free internet. no charge for  the Specialties (except La Reserve & Privee which there is  a fee)

no charge for all non alcoholic beverages

You have to weight the options  & see what works best  for YOU

Sometimes we take the included air  & O Life  for the OBC  & sometimes just the cruise only  price ..what ever is the better deal for us

33 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

It doesn’t include a lot of that. You’re paying for it. The price without the Olife package is usually about the same amount as the OBC less than with the package. 

Note that, only within the past year or so has O published "cruise only" prices. That said, if you plan onboard options like alcohol/excursions/obc and you're flying in (particularly international -either tix or credit), the O Life price is pretty much always a better deal.

AND, beyond the pricing consideration, there's the quality issues of what you get and avoid when you choose O over Celebrity. 

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I don't think you decided to cruise Oceania yet did you? I truly believe before you can evaluate the differences between the two you need to experience them yourself. Not just compare it on paper. There are intangible differences that different people put different values on. We all have to decide what that is worth to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I don't think you decided to cruise Oceania yet did you? I truly believe before you can evaluate the differences between the two you need to experience them yourself. Not just compare it on paper. There are intangible differences that different people put different values on. We all have to decide what that is worth to us. 

I’m referencing basic math. Not the experience. You can’t say that Oceania includes OBC, excursions or alcohol. You’re paying extra for it. I made no mention to the experience. 

21 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Apples-to-apples may require a spreadsheet lol!

Remember there are really 3 (or is it 4??) choices:

O-Life as printed (air fare included, plus one of OBC/some excursions/basic alcohol package)

O-Life without air fare (amount of air fare credit is specific to each cruise & may vary depending on *when* booking is finalized?)

Cruise only (no air fare, no O-provided OBC/some excursions/basic alcohol package)

Not sure if you can *include* airfare and *exclude* O-Life benefits - just because we haven't done that...others with more knowledge please pipe up!

Just to confuse things more, unless things have changed quite recently, it *is* possible to get airfare credit for just one way (if doing Miami to New York cruise and you live in Miami, you could use O's air for New York to Miami but get credit for not using any air to get to Miami...)

If you are doing the math, best to call your TA and find out what the air fare credit is at the moment.  Remember if you are doing your own air, to compare to O include any applicable deviation fees for flying in before embarkation day or staying longer in destination.  In our experience we can usually (but not always) do better getting airfare ourselves.  Also before finalizing O-Life, make sure you understand what benefits you get through your TA - sometimes you get enough OBC through them that "paying" for more from Oceania makes little sense.

Did I mention using a spreadsheet?? :classic_tongue:

25 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Not sure if you can *include* airfare and *exclude* O-Life benefits - just because we haven't done that...others with more knowledge please pipe up!

Just to confuse things more, unless things have changed quite recently, it *is* possible to get airfare credit for just one way (if doing Miami to New York cruise and you live in Miami, you could use O's air for New York to Miami but get credit for not using any air to get to Miami...)

Oceania air can be used regardless of O-Life choice. And then there is the air “deviation” fee!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Apparently you can 

but when you do the math may as well include the O Life  perk

We took the OBC   I will find  a way to spend it 😉

• Like 1