First Time Cruise to Caribbean January / February

paulwacca

We are first time cruisers and plan on visiting the Caribbean January / February. Can someone advise on the best area to visit for better weather, North South, East or West?

Any other tips would be much appreciated. We are late 40s couple who enjoy good food and wine. 

We have no experience of the different cruise lines and are finding it all a bit overwhelming!

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic..Yes, it can be very overwhelming for a first cruise.  We will all have different opinions and preferences.  May I suggest you read, read, read here on CC...it is a great way to learn all the ropes.  I, personally love the Southern Caribbean, aka, the ABC Islands and my preference is Celebrity Cruise Lines.  (hardly any children) and we love good food and service.   As I said, you are about to get tons of advice.  (even going to speak with a travel agent), since it is your first cruise.  Good luck to you! 

Edited by champagne123

Southern Caribbean is warmer in my opinion. For the most part the entire Caribbean is pretty similar unless you happen to have a major snow storm on the East Coast of the US which can result in colder weather in the Caribbean. Cruised once in January when a major blizzard hit East Coast and had a lot of rain and cold miserable weather on the cruise. However, I think you need to pick a cruise for other reasons - weather is never guaranteed. 

Sounds like Ike you are looking for more of an “adult “ vacation.  Would suggest 7 days or longer. Shorter cruises tend to be more party booze cruise oriented. Also what price point are you looking at?  Prices vary - are you looking for a luxury or standard cruise experience? Perhaps sit down and discuss with a travel agent who specializes In cruising 

• Like 1

You would probably find Celebrity or Holland America offerring the service/ambience you want.  Virtually all of the Caribbean (meaning NOT the Bahamas) is warm that time of year.  If you have the time, you might think about Celebrity Summit - spend a day of two in San Juan , then the southern Caribbean - I think 12 days.  That length itinerary would mean very few children or college age on winter break.

What is your budget?

I would sail  from one of the ports in Florida 

that time of year the weather is  great 

I agree  maybe talk with a cruise TA  to find a line that suits your wants/needs

go for 10+ days if you can

Premium lines tend  to have more included in the price  & less children

enjoy

Forgot to add that we cruise mostly on Royal Carribean for the loyalty perks but also like Celebrity and Princess. We also do more involved, longer land trips to far flung locales about every 3 years.

As for the Carribean, we like St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Barbados best.  While not in the Carribean, Bermuda is our favorite island in the world.

We book very early to get the best prices and interior cabin choices. We thought we needed balcony cabins but quit on those after about 3 cruises as I much prefer the dark interior for much better sleep and my husband doesn't care what kind of cabin he is in.

We book directly with the cruise line so as to get any perks offered. We then transfer the booking to our lontime travel agent who gives us 8 - 12 % in on board credit we use as cash to help pay our gratuities - on our Galapagos trip, she gave us each $500.  That was $1000 off the price of the trip.

We charge every cent of travel to our credit cards that give us cash back on evey purchase. That is a nice perk and allows for more travel.

Wishing you blue skies, fun and relaxation. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by Bookish Angel

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We also like the Southern Caribbean the best.

Not knowing you, we have no idea what you are looking for -- shopping? beaches? island/port history?

February is a lovely month to cruise.

Don't know where you live, but I would suggest that if you are flying, arrive at your embarkation port a day or two early -- this allows time in case you have bad weather or flights cancelled.  Also plan on flying home late in the day or staying overnight in the disembarkation port.  That way you will not have to stress about missing your flight home.

• Like 1

Which line is very much a matter of personal choice. Some people swear by Carnival and others won't cruise with anyone other than the likes of Oceania.

My advice would be actually to get into the Caribbean, not just to the Bahamas, which probably means a cruise of at least a week.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:classic_smile:

While we find Princess to be the best fit for us, we also always enjoy cruising on other cruise lines from time to time.  

Another vote for the DEEP Southern Caribbean -- ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao).  

A good travel agent would be very helpful to you.  

I am looking for more recent reviews about The Adventure of th Seas. I will be cruising in Jan 2019 , Eastern Caribbean. I read that the ship was refurbished in Jan. 2018, yet i April 2018 the reviews have not been very encouraging. This is my 4th cruise with R C , including one cruise on Harmony. I do enjoy the smaller ships. I feel dismayed as I read about the food, “cutting corners” on quality, etc..

If you want a good feel of what a middle of the road Caribbean cruise is like, I would:

Go with Florida departure. Preferably Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Go for a 7 or 8 or 9 day cruise.  Too short you run into the party crowd and tons of kids.  Too long is a bit risky for a first timer. 

Go for Eastern or Southern Caribbean.  Western route is great too but generally needs more planning to get the most out of it.  

Go with cruise lines like Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, or Royal Caribbean but stay away from holiday weeks.  I wouldn't go with Carnival or Norwegian even though I personally enjoyed my time on them.   

1 hour ago, Mugu said:

I am looking for more recent reviews about The Adventure of th Seas. I will be cruising in Jan 2019 , Eastern Caribbean. I read that the ship was refurbished in Jan. 2018, yet i April 2018 the reviews have not been very encouraging. This is my 4th cruise with R C , including one cruise on Harmony. I do enjoy the smaller ships. I feel dismayed as I read about the food, “cutting corners” on quality, etc..

Would suggest posting on the Royal Caribbean board for a better response. 

7 hours ago, paulwacca said:

Thank you everybody for your help, we have booked a Southern Caribbean trip inc ABC Islands with Holland America. 😎

Happy that you chose the Southern Caribbean. I think you will enjoy the ABC islands. Personally would have chosen Celebrity or RC over HA. primarily because of the age of the majority of passengers.  Several friends have cruised HA and said it was a very much older crowd than they were used to on Celebrity. 

Hope you have a great cruise!

7 hours ago, paulwacca said:

Thank you everybody for your help, we have booked a Southern Caribbean trip inc ABC Islands with Holland America. 😎

Take some time to do some reading in the Caribbean forum on CC and get familiar with where you are going.  :classic_biggrin:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Happy that you chose the Southern Caribbean. I think you will enjoy the ABC islands. Personally would have chosen Celebrity or RC over HA. primarily because of the age of the majority of passengers.  Several friends have cruised HA and said it was a very much older crowd than they were used to on Celebrity. 

Hope you have a great cruise!

I have heard that often as well, although having the ship to myself after 9pm doesn't worry me too much.