Wondering why NCL can advertise the drink package as "Free" when it's not

schildiams

19 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Haha! How many times can a discussion happen on this topic? Countless and someone will start another thread on this tomorrow probably ........ It never dies.

Ya - you keep flogging that dead horse to see if the result changes !

That being noted what part of FREE do you not understand - OH THE FREE PART WITH THE ASTERISK *** !

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Between having it on the home page or having it on the "learn more" page, which is more deceptive?

Given that you have to scroll down so far and can barely even see the print bc it is so small, I would say that is more deceptive to have it on the home page. Why put a "learn more" link if you don't really learn anything more on that new page that open and is supposed to provide more info?

Edited by schildiams

5 hours ago, cdnsteelman said:

There's an asterisk at the end of the "Free Unlimited Open Bar and More*" and below that asterisk is notated as "*Gratuities, Beverage, Specialty Service Charges & other restrictions may apply." Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Nothing you can do when some people refuse to read and come here to point fingers.

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

NCL advertises the UBP for $99 dollars per day. However, in order to buy it, you also have to buy (pay for) the daily UBP gratuity/service charge...not to mention that you also have to buy a cruise.

Nobody complains because that $99 per day is false advertising because they also have to buy (pay for) the daily UBP gratuity/service charge, nor do they complain that it is false advertising because they also have to buy a cruise. 

Once you buy the cruise, you have the option of buying the drink package for $99 per day PLUS an additional 20% for the gratuity/service charge. One cost for the package, one cost for the gratuity/service charge.

In their offer, NCL allows you to get the drink package for FREE. Not the gratuity/service charge, not the cruise, just the drink package. So you still have to buy the cruise, you still have to buy (pay for) the gratuity/service charge. No trickery involved. No deception or trickery involved, it is just people hearing what they want to hear vs what was actually offered.

What you seem to be looking for is "Free Unlimited Open Bar Including Gratuities"....which is NOT what the offer states.

Except that when you purchase the beverage package, it doesn't add the "service charge" at the end or after a *asterick at the bottom of the page. The total price is listed right there:

Ultimate Beverage Package

$99 USD per person per day. Includes all cocktails, spirits, beer and glasses of wine, soda and juices.

• PRICE $831.60

Also interesting note is that situation, NCL calls it a "service charge" -  but they call it a "gratuity when the package is free. Not sure why.

In any case, I think your're on to something - instead of advertising it as "Free" which according to the example given in the law quoted above, it does seem to be misleading (see the example about a "no money down" that actually requires fees) - why not advertise it as" Free - gratuities NOT included"? If they are not trying to mislead, why not just lay it out right there?

Edited by schildiams

3 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

Lets see

1 bloody mary with breakfast

1 beer after morning workout

2 beers with lunch

3 three beers while relaxing on pool deck in afternoon

2 glasses of wine with dinner

1 pre show umbrella drink

2 martinis after show

Cut out the six beers on shore days.

I think the free open bar is a great deal for me. My wife is a slacker though and only consumes about 1/3 what I do. 

Very similar for me, but my Bride keeps up too.  We couldn’t afford to get off the boat without the drink package.

1 minute ago, NurseJEB said:

If you would rather pay for the package byu all means do do.  The package itself is free.  Who cares what the wording is?

I care, obviously, or I would not have posted. And the FTC clearly cares, because they have a law that addresses deceptive advertisements.

Just now, schildiams said:

I care, obviously, or I would not have posted. And the FTC clearly cares, because they have a law that addresses deceptive advertisements.

Feel free to file a complaint with FTC if you are so inclined. What's stopping you?

The very small fine print actually states that a service charge MAY apply. Not that it will. My point, again, is why not just be open and upfront about it right there on the front page where they advertise that it's free? I am more than happy to tip 20% of the "actual" cost. Thats' NOT my issue. I just wonder why they can't be more transparent about it.

3 minutes ago, schildiams said:

The very small fine print actually states that a service charge MAY apply. Not that it will. My point, again, is why not just be open and upfront about it right there on the front page where they advertise that it's free? I am more than happy to tip 20% of the "actual" cost. Thats' NOT my issue. I just wonder why they can't be more transparent about it.

You should probably sail on another cruise line and avoid NCL.  

16 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Except that when you purchase the beverage package, it doesn't add the "service charge" at the end or after a *asterick at the bottom of the page. The total price is listed right there:

Ultimate Beverage Package

$99 USD per person per day. Includes all cocktails, spirits, beer and glasses of wine, soda and juices.

• PRICE $831.60

Also interesting note is that situation, NCL calls it a "service charge" -  but they call it a "gratuity when the package is free. Not sure why.

In any case, I think your're on to something - instead of advertising it as "Free" which according to the example given in the law quoted above, it does seem to be misleading (see the example about a "no money down" that actually requires fees) - why not advertise it as" Free - gratuities NOT included"? If they are not trying to mislead, why not just lay it out right there?

It IS laid right out there. That is why so many people realize that it is there. It also is included in the listed price you have to pay even before you ever make your deposit. It is right up front for you to see.

No company is going to simply spoon feed everything to the least common denominator. You simply can't make sure that everyone will understand and see everything. No matter what, someone will skip over reading, click "OK" too fast, not see, not understand, and then they will be front and center decrying the company and pontificating that the company should be more transparent. (Always the company, never the cruiser).

In case it ever happens to you...

NCL and many of the other lines give away free cruises at times. Maybe as a bingo prize for example. When you win a FREE cruise, you still have to pay the Govt Taxes and Fees, you still have to pay the service charge, and you still have to pay for your online expenses. That applies to ALL cruise lines. The cruise is FREE, the other stuff isn't . Just want to state that up front so there isn't a surprise should you ever win a "free" cruise.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

You should probably sail on another cruise line and avoid NCL.  

No - I have Platinum status with NCL and generally enjoy the ships, the food, the shoes, and the service. I just have a pet peeve when any company seems to intend to mislead its customers. I don't think that there is a need for it. I think that most people would be happier to find the actual price upfront than be surprised later. If you have nothing to hide, why hide it?

1 minute ago, schildiams said:

No - I have Platinum status with NCL and generally enjoy the ships, the food, the shoes, and the service. I just have a pet peeve when any company seems to intend to mislead its customers. I don't think that there is a need for it. I think that most people would be happier to find the actual price upfront than be surprised later. If you have nothing to hide, why hide it?

You come off as someone who is just looking for something to complain about...  If you're truly a platinum member, then you are fully aware with how NCL does it...  Why are you making such a mountain out of nothing?

54 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Are you? Then you should be aware that Free At Sea promo has been going on for years. Why do you suddenly feel misled by this but not in the past? Stop hiding and do tell. 

• Like 2

I think I will be filing a complaint with the FTC, and I suggest others to as well. Its pretty easy:

FTC Complaint Link

Not only is the "Free" part deceptive (Sometimes with the tiny asterisk, sometimes not,) but it actually says "FREE UNLIMITED OPEN BAR & MORE."  Really? I must have missed the disclaimer on the $15 price limit, or the limit of only certain wines. Oh wait, there is none.

The "Free Airfare" is pretty amusing as well, because when you click on "Learn More" you learn its not always free, and the term "Reduced Airfare" suddenly appears. Funny how no mention of "Reduced Airfare" on the home page.

Edited by ano

2 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

You come off as someone who is just looking for something to complain about...  If you're truly a platinum member, then you are fully aware with how NCL does it...  Why are you making such a mountain out of nothing?

I think you pretty much nailed it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ano said:

I think I will be filing a complaint with the FTC, and I suggest others to as well. Its pretty easy:

FTC Complaint Link

Not only is the "Free" part deceptive (Sometimes with the tiny asterisk, sometimes not,) but it actually says "FREE UNLIMITED OPEN BAR & MORE."  Really? I must have missed the disclaimer on the $15 price limit, or the limit of only certain wines. Oh wait, there is none.

The "Free Airfare" is pretty amusing as well, because when you click on "Learn More" you learn its not always free, and the term "Reduced Airfare" suddenly appears. Funny how no mention of "Reduced Airfare" on the home page.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

11 minutes ago, NurseJEB said:

So you do know how to find out all of the details of an offer after all!

Since I just got off an NCL cruise, the answer now would be yes, but I certainly wouldn't have signed up for the "free drinks" knowing what I know now.

Just now, ano said:

Since I just got off an NCL cruise, the answer now would be yes, but I certainly wouldn't have signed up for the "free drinks" knowing what I know now.

You knew before you took the cruise.  You knew when you made the reservation because you were charged the service charge/gratuity at that time.  You knew well in advance of the cruise.

:classic_unsure:

Here is a simple guide to see the deception.

I'm a new cruiser, or maybe not. I start at the NCL Homepage.   NCL Home Page

And I'm hooked by the free drinks. So I look at the cruises to see more.

I'm first on the "Find a Cruise" here: Find A Cruise

I see lots of cruises, but pick one that has "Free At Sea"  like this first one: Nice Inside Room ...

On the bottom right, it says "Free At Sea" So I'm on the right path.

So I pick a nice room, and my "Free At Sea" selection shows up here: Free At Sea Selection

Wow it says "Unlimited Open Bar" for Guests 1 & 2. I press ADD. Nowhere on this page is ANY NOTE about a gratuity. NOWHERE.

I click ADD and Continue.  Not a peep about gratuity. It does include "Free Unlimited Open Bar"

So I press "Select and Continue.

Pay for Cruise

I enter my name and credit card. Depending on the date I may have booked a non-refundable deposit. It does NOW say $277.20 for "Free At Sea Gratuities" but its easy to miss, and there really is no explanation of this charge. Its almost the same as the "Gov't Taxes, Frees, and Port Charges" at $270.90.  With the excitement of booking the cruise, its easy to book. 

Now please explain, on which of these pages above does it explain about the 20% Gratuity Charge? The answer is none of them. If NCL wasn't tryng to slip this by people, it would pop up when I selected this option. It doesn't. That is the deceptive part. On all these pages you go through to BOOK your cruise, ONE of them needs to explain this charge. I should not need to wade through pages to find it.

1 hour ago, ano said:

Here is a simple guide to see the deception.

I'm a new cruiser, or maybe not. I start at the NCL Homepage.   NCL Home Page

And I'm hooked by the free drinks. So I look at the cruises to see more.

I'm first on the "Find a Cruise" here: Find A Cruise

I see lots of cruises, but pick one that has "Free At Sea"  like this first one: Nice Inside Room ...

On the bottom right, it says "Free At Sea" So I'm on the right path.

So I pick a nice room, and my "Free At Sea" selection shows up here: Free At Sea Selection

Wow it says "Unlimited Open Bar" for Guests 1 & 2. I press ADD. Nowhere on this page is ANY NOTE about a gratuity. NOWHERE.

I click ADD and Continue.  Not a peep about gratuity. It does include "Free Unlimited Open Bar"

So I press "Select and Continue.

Pay for Cruise

I enter my name and credit card. Depending on the date I may have booked a non-refundable deposit. It does NOW say $277.20 for "Free At Sea Gratuities" but its easy to miss, and there really is no explanation of this charge. Its almost the same as the "Gov't Taxes, Frees, and Port Charges" at $270.90.  With the excitement of booking the cruise, its easy to book. 

Now please explain, on which of these pages above does it explain about the 20% Gratuity Charge? The answer is none of them. If NCL wasn't tryng to slip this by people, it would pop up when I selected this option. It doesn't. That is the deceptive part. On all these pages you go through to BOOK your cruise, ONE of them needs to explain this charge. I should not need to wade through pages to find it.

Funny, I just did a mock booking and before I choose my cabin, far from paying, this is what I see (notice the Free at Sea Offer Gratuities).  So there is really no excuse for someone to say that they didn't see this before they paid and after seeing this and before choosing their actual cabin number, they could have not gone any further.

Summary of Charges

• TOTAL 2 GUESTS$5,358.00
  • FREE AT SEA OFFER GRATUITIES$356.40
  • GOV'T TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES$377.74
TOTAL
$6,09214
Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2