Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruisinrealtor

RCCL Approved power strip

Recommended Posts

On 7/8/2019 at 5:10 PM, jagsfan said:

The cruise ships usually provide the thick orange extension cord with one outlet on them. 

It will normally lie across the carpet providing a fall risk. 

If so, ask your steward to tape it down, which might help the tripping risk. 

I can't tell you how many times I have requested the orange extension cord from Special Needs and it was not provided.  Then the request to the room steward for one takes sometimes days for it to appear.  Case in point: you cannot count on the ship providing one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 6:57 AM, Extra Kim said:

I will just leave this here.. 😆

20190108_143302.jpg

Why do you charge pork rinds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's something called "Majskrokar" a straight translation would be "Corn Hocks" 😉. It's just mashed and dried corn, more or less tasteless.

 

We had them with us for our, by that time, 1 year old daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 9:57 AM, Extra Kim said:

I will just leave this here.. 😆

20190108_143302.jpg

 

I thought I had a lot of stuff,but... the variety, sheer numbers - impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was planning to get a 5-port USB hub from Anker (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8ZW02/).

 

Looking at Anker's website, they specifically say that this device offers "surge protection" https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-5/A2124112

 

Allowed or not allowed by RCI?  Or maybe just a coin toss with security?  

 

Better to take in carry-on or checked bag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, danv3 said:

I was planning to get a 5-port USB hub from Anker (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8ZW02/).

 

Looking at Anker's website, they specifically say that this device offers "surge protection" https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-5/A2124112

 

Allowed or not allowed by RCI?  Or maybe just a coin toss with security?  

 

Better to take in carry-on or checked bag?

While I can't see the plug on this device, from looking at the power cord, this is typical "lamp cord" or two wire.  If it is two wire, then the plug will be two prong, and by definition it can't be surge protected.  Anker, like many manufacturers use the term "surge protection" because people think they know what it is, and need it, so the term is advertising "sexy".  What their device is, really, is "voltage protected", which does limit voltage to the devices, but unlike surge protection, it only shuts off power output from the charging device, it does not shunt dangerous high voltages to ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

 

I thought I had a lot of stuff,but... the variety, sheer numbers - impressive.

And still no phones in this picture 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Just copied this picture from an Allure post. On the cruise now.

20190714_135031.jpg

 

twodaywonder, your are amusing.

 

Just because you or someone else was able to sneak something aboard, doesn't mean it is safe.  It also doesn't mean the next person attempting to do the same will not be caught.  Please do not come crying here when your two/three prong outlet is confiscated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gatour said:

twodaywonder, your are amusing.

 

Just because you or someone else was able to sneak something aboard, doesn't mean it is safe.  It also doesn't mean the next person attempting to do the same will not be caught.  Please do not come crying here when your two/three prong outlet is confiscated.

This is my picture - it was not hidden at all.  I bought off Amazon with it saying it was cruise approved. The set up has been in full display of my room attendant.  There is no chord it just plugs into the wall outlet.  It does cover up the 2nd outlet but it gives us 3 plugs plus 3 usb so it's been working great for us this week.  It allows the 5 if us to charge at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mommyof2monkeys+princess said:

This is my picture - it was not hidden at all.  I bought off Amazon with it saying it was cruise approved. The set up has been in full display of my room attendant.  There is no chord it just plugs into the wall outlet.  It does cover up the 2nd outlet but it gives us 3 plugs plus 3 usb so it's been working great for us this week.  It allows the 5 if us to charge at night. 

It's not the cabin attendant that one has to worry about, it is the port security.  As twodaywonder stated, just because you got lucky doesn't mean the next person will.  I had a very similar 3 plug adapter (no cord) confiscated by security.  When I said it had no cord or surge protection they said they were told to take any device that extended the number of plugs period.  The next week or at a different port, they may use different rules.  The only things truly safe from being taken are USB hubs and single outlet European plug adapters (so you can at least use the plug for one device).

Edited by Mythbuster
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

 I had a very similar 3 plug adapter (no cord) confiscated by security.  When I said it had no cord or surge protection they said they were told to take any device that extended the number of plugs period.  

Just a sign of how much Royal trust their employes in port... 

I would say the the risk of using a plug that adds an extra outlet is next to none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gatour said:

twodaywonder, your are amusing.

 

Just because you or someone else was able to sneak something aboard, doesn't mean it is safe.  It also doesn't mean the next person attempting to do the same will not be caught.  Please do not come crying here when your two/three prong outlet is confiscated.

Whoever you are? To begin with, I never said anything about anything that was safe or not. I would appreciate you read what I say and not add anything to it or assume what you want to assume. I do not sneak anything aboard. This picture is not my cabin. Just a picture. As for mine (When I take it)  it is in my suit case and it is in one I carry on and it is scanned. If they would not allow what I have, I am sure they would confiscate it. I would appreciate no more nasty remarks that have nothing to do with me. This is no place to condemn anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Whoever you are? To begin with, I never said anything about anything that was safe or not. I would appreciate you read what I say and not add anything to it or assume what you want to assume. I do not sneak anything aboard. This picture is not my cabin. Just a picture. As for mine (When I take it)  it is in my suit case and it is in one I carry on and it is scanned. If they would not allow what I have, I am sure they would confiscate it. I would appreciate no more nasty remarks that have nothing to do with me. This is no place to condemn anyone.

Says someone who condemns Cheng because he brings facts into the game based on his vast experience on board ships, both freighters and cruise lines.

 

Based on the cruise line policy, it is BANNED.  Based on your above statement you know a surge protector  is BANNED.  Yet you are are still packing a surge protector (maybe not the one pictured, but a surge protector none the less). Thusly you are smuggling a BANNED item.  Doesn't mean if security misses it during scanning that it is acceptable.  See various bomber scenarios that were missed by scanning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gatour said:

Says someone who condemns Cheng because he brings facts into the game based on his vast experience on board ships, both freighters and cruise lines.

 

Based on the cruise line policy, it is BANNED.  Based on your above statement you know a surge protector  is BANNED.  Yet you are are still packing a surge protector (maybe not the one pictured, but a surge protector none the less). Thusly you are smuggling a BANNED item.  Doesn't mean if security misses it during scanning that it is acceptable.  See various bomber scenarios that were missed by scanning.

How ++++ are you????? I do not pack a surge protector at all and never did and never said I do. Guess you are illiterate and cannot read. How do you like being hit with nonsense? You condemn for sure. Look in the mirror. I know more than he does about certain subjects and he knows more than I do about certain subjects. Looks like you do not know much at all. Obviously you have no idea what a surge protector is. "(maybe not the one pictured, but a surge protector none the less)" So you know what you can do mr smart one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, chengkp75 said:

it only shuts off power output from the charging device, it does not shunt dangerous high voltages to ground.

Do you think it may have a simple fuse similar to a strand of Christmas lights?

Edited by mayleeman
clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, now a fight breaks out...again. Enough already. (I just came here for information)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Do you think it may have a simple fuse similar to a strand of Christmas lights?

No, no fuse.  The solid state circuitry that converts the 100-220v AC power to the 5v DC output power, will simply stop converting the power when the input voltage is too high, and start up again when voltage returns to normal.  A fuse is used to limit current, while this feature limits voltage.

Edited by chengkp75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, twodaywonder said:

Just a picture. As for mine (When I take it)  it is in my suit case and it is in one I carry on and it is scanned. If they would not allow what I have, I am sure they would confiscate it

 

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

How ++++ are you????? I do not pack a surge protector at all and never did and never said I do. Guess you are illiterate and cannot read.

 

I can read and you said the first thing I quoted above.  Since this is a thread about surge protectors/extension cords how should I interpret your statement, yesterday, in regards to what you are packing and what you have had pass through security.  If you were talking about something entirely different you should clarify.  People are not mind readers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gatour said:

 

 

I can read and you said the first thing I quoted above.  Since this is a thread about surge protectors/extension cords how should I interpret your statement, yesterday, in regards to what you are packing and what you have had pass through security.  If you were talking about something entirely different you should clarify.  People are not mind readers.

 

 

You never read my previous posts.. So you just ASSUMED. Never ASSUME. Read all the posts before replying to just one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way. FYI the one in the picture is NOT a surge suppressor strip. It is not mine and nothing more than a multiple power outlet. Nothing more nothing less. Not an extension cord, not a power strip. This is what it is. The definition and you can look it up. Plug-In Quad Grounding Outlet. I am not saying it is approved or not. Just showing a picture of what a person has in there room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Amazon sells the exact same Sunbeam device (the one @twodaywonderpreviously pictured as his own) as an "extension cord".  So, it definitely falls in the officially-banned list. Whether 2-day wishes to comply is up to him. But taking it onboard, hoping that it isn't confiscated, does seem like sneaking just as a rum runner would. YMMV.

Screenshot_20190718-183027_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3922374473d3abf044b445132a903759.jpg

Edited by mayleeman
clarify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what. Amazon can call it anything they want. An extension cord./ Great. Who cares really. Sounds like you just want to come after me. Great. Again, so what? This is all getting a bit stupid anyhow. is it isn't it, As far as I can tell RCCL does not have any approved electrical device at all. So what is the object of continuing this anyhow. So you do what you want. It is a free country for now. If this was about what Carnival allows. Almost nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...