Lobster revamp

joeyancho

13 hours ago, geoherb said:

Our waiter brought extra lobster tails to our table on the Royal's trans-Atlantic. I also frequently ordered an extra serving of a green vegetable. I loved it when spinach was on the menu. Broccoli was always available.

We've had similar experiences

When I order the lobster I often end up wondering why I did so. Usually the shrimp is almost as large as the lobster and has more flavor. It's pretty sad. We have two cruises coming up (7 day leaving this Saturday and a 19 day that leaves the day after that one ends) and I'll have to decide if I'm going to even try the new lobster dish. I think I may skip it on the 7 day so I can see what it looks like now and get the opinion of fellow diners (some of whom are certain to order the lobster) and then make my decision concerning the second cruise.

I am following Thrak's course of action - I leave on back to back 10 day Caribbean cruises in a few weeks and will be in club class dining so I may well take advantage of the extra entree in the MDR that night and see what the lobster looks like.  I really hope they have not changed the "lobster 3 ways" in Sabatini's.  Been looking forward to that one all year

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am following Thrak's course of action - I leave on back to back 10 day Caribbean cruises in a few weeks and will be in club class dining so I may well take advantage of the extra entree in the MDR that night and see what the lobster looks like.  I really hope they have not changed the "lobster 3 ways" in Sabatini's.  Been looking forward to that one all year

If you are on a ship with the "traditional" Sabatini's it should still be available. If you are on a ship with the "Sabatini's Italian Trattoria" I don't see it on the menu. Both menus are available on the Princess site HERE

43 minutes ago, memoak said:

We really enjoyed CC Dining ... so convenient for avoiding lines.

The lobster on normal lobster night was the same as served in the MDR.

The Lobster Thermidor was on a different night as a selection for CC.  We liked it.  

Enjoy your cruise!  :classic_cool:

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Must say I have never understood lobster. Not much taste to it for me.

this tends to be true of  some species. Try cold water rock lobster from Fremantle Australia ... MMmmm  MMM !

4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

this tends to be true of  some species. Try cold water rock lobster from Fremantle Australia ... MMmmm  MMM !

Or Better sill from Tasmania.

One Cruise we watched as the loaded straight from the Trawler onto our ship.

4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Or Better sill from Tasmania.

One Cruise we watched as the loaded straight from the Trawler onto our ship.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

If you are on a ship with the "traditional" Sabatini's it should still be available. If you are on a ship with the "Sabatini's Italian Trattoria" I don't see it on the menu. Both menus are available on the Princess site HERE

Yes I am on the Crown and I am pretty sure it is still traditional so look forward to it - have a freebie from the old sip and sail promo so might as well use it

• Like 1

Dreamer, maybe you didn't read my post??????

It wasn't just about Lobster.

It was about all of the mentioned changes and cut-backs....

Low quality, barely edible, food.

Seafood, Beef, everything.

I might even throw the service into the mix.

When NCL and Carnival can get better reviews on their food and service than Princess, I think that says something.

For those who do not care for Lobster...

I only think lobster is good, if it is GOOD lobster.

I can be a bit of a Foodie !!!!

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Dreamer, maybe you didn't read my post??????

It wasn't just about Lobster.

It was about all of the mentioned changes and cut-backs....

Low quality, barely edible, food.

Seafood, Beef, everything.

I might even throw the service into the mix.

When NCL and Carnival can get better reviews on their food and service than Princess, I think that says something.

For those who do not care for Lobster...

I only think lobster is good, if it is GOOD lobster.

I can be a bit of a Foodie !!!!

are you contributing to the  "foodies" thread ?

I agree about the beef. Last March I actually took a chance on steak in MDR. GAH! Very tough and not much flavor. Sadly, I knew better than to trust MDR steak but gave it a try anyway in the hope it had improved. It turned out to be much worse than I remembered. I ate a little bit and left the majority of it on the plate.

Edited by Thrak

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

I agree about the beef. Last March I actually took a chance on steak in MDR. GAH! Very tough and not much flavor. Sadly, I knew better than to trust MDR steak but gave it a try anyway in the hope it had improved. It turned out to be much worse than I remembered. I ate a little bit and left the majority of it on the plate.

I had beef three times in the MDR, off the new menu. Was very good all three times, tender and delish. YMMV.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, joeyancho said:

We just returned from the Ruby 7 night Mexican Riviera.  The Ruby now has the new menus.  IMHO the food was very good to excellent.  A lot of new things on the menu. A lot of old favorites are gone. A very noticeable change was the lobster served on the second formal night.  It was a single lobster tail served on a bed of green risotto, topped with a creamy sauce.  It is a complete revamp of its former, traditional, presentation.  No more shrimp. No more broccoli. No more mashed potatoes. No more clarified butter.  Nothing is sacred anymore.

Because I am a lo-carber, I would only order the lobster tail and ask for steamed broccoli.  Is that an option?  If one is diabetic, they wouldn't be eating the risotto, mashed potatoes, etc., so surely one who isn't could order without the starches.  If not my lobster tail is going to be unhappy all alone on my plate.

5 hours ago, joeyancho said:

I had beef three times in the MDR, off the new menu. Was very good all three times, tender and delish. YMMV.

Now that is very good to hear. Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll be brave and try it again. The "always available" Beef Medallions were good but those went away a while back. I've had some good beef of that type with embarkation lunch as well. Ohhhhhh.... 4 more days until we sail again. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1