La Cucina - pic of NEW menu?

Heather1972

Still getting used to this new website's forum format, etc. spend a little bit of time re-organizing some of our recent Escape photos from early last month - and giving the Member Album section a bit of beta testing, uploaded a batch of Specialty Dining menu images - you should be able to look/click thru them, zoom & check it out, from the Escape ...  As always, YMMV - availability can vary, use it as a guide.  

Maybe, this would make it easier for newbies to find info, as the "search" functions ... #cough #cough - could be better / enhanced.  

Additional MDR menus & that of O'Sheehan's, including pictures of select starter, entree items & desserts were in the "Semi-Live" thread. 

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We were disappointed with the change in menu at La Cucina.  My DH ordered a 'spicy marinara' with penne pasta and it was bland tomato sauce.  Maybe the chefs will get it together eventually, but bringing back the lasagna would make DH happier.

the lack of spice was our complaint when we ate at Los Lobos Mexican restaurant on the Dawn.. They asked us if we want spicy guacamole and being from Ca, living in Texas and NM, we said of course: our opinion: where was the spice? I guess we all have a different opinion what the word "spicy" means. 

Just now, BlueLadyBlue said:

Yes they did but, much as we intended to, we never did try them so can’t comment on them 

Thanks. Interesting, the older Sun La Cucina menus that I have seen from prior to retrofit, did not have pizza on the menu. 

3 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

I agree the filet mignon at La Cucina was better than the one we had at Cagney's.   Everything we had at La Cucina on Escape a few weeks ago was delicious--we ate there twice on that cruise.   

I loved the old menus filet mignon that was topped with gorgonzola.  New menu's filet mignon on the Breakaway was OK, but not as good as the gorgonzola crusted.

21 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

Well, I'm going to change my La Cucina dinner reservation to Moderno. I'm really not impressed with the new menu. Nothing really wows me. I liked the old menu better. 

This is what we are doing too.  We had booked La Cucina twice on our last cruise but cancelled the 2nd reservation after trying the new menu.   The two pastas we tried were somewhat bland and definitely nothing worth returning for.  I used to love La Cucina's Filet Mignon preparation with the Gorgonzola crust but now I will just get a decent filet in Cagney's.   We do love La Cucina's bread and they have a good salad, but just not enough to use a Platinum or SDP meal.

Edited by Sand and Seas

55 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

This is what we are doing too.  We had booked La Cucina twice on our last cruise but cancelled the 2nd reservation after trying the new menu.   The two pastas we tried were somewhat bland and definitely nothing worth returning for.  I used to love La Cucina's Filet Mignon preparation with the Gorgonzola crust but now I will just get a decent filet in Cagney's.   We do love La Cucina's bread and they have a good salad, but just not enough to use a Platinum or SDP meal.

Yep! I'm not a huge italian fan. The steak with gorgonzola was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life, but that's gone and no lamb chops. I can make or buy pizza here at home, not going to take that as my freebie with latitudes program. Moderno it is.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2018 at 1:49 PM, cruiserssandr said:

We were on the Dawn October 26 till November 9. La Cucina's menu  has changed and not for the better. No more spaghetti and meatballs, no lasagna and still no chicken parm. Pizza was good but is not served as an app. anymore

When we were on the Bliss with this same menu the pizza was included as part of the meal.  We also got the pasta and the main course and an appetizer.  Did they tell you the pizza was now a main course?

In November on the Dawn La Cucina was the worst. Appetizers were horrible choice. I ordered the pizza based on seeing it on other cruises. The waiter tried to talk me out of it. It was awful. Better pizza in the buffet. No chicken parm. Huge disappointment. We even let our last free reservation go because we think the main dining rooms are better.

We were on the Breakaway in December and ate at La Cucina four nights.  I loved the osso bucco.  I also had the filet and thought it was much better than the rib eye at Cagneys and rib eye is my favorite cut.  My husband thought the shrimp ravioli were great.  The tiramisu was my favorite dessert on the ship.  Bresaola has replaced our favorite carpaccio and we did not enjoy it.  Going back on March 17 and have booked La Cucina for four nights on a 7 day cruise.  3 nights we will go to LeBistro.  We are giving up on Cagneys, we have tried it on several different cruises and it is always a disappointment for us.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:25 AM, neilkear said:

Same on the Breakaway 3 weeks ago. I recommend the Filetto De Manzo Al Pepe Verde, it was better than Cagney's, of course it could be due to the chef.

Completely agree.  Just off Epic last week and Filetto De Manzo was the best meal I had all week.  Although filet at Tepenaki was close second.  Both better than anything at Merderno which I love.  And BTW, was not excited about Italian after previous cruises but so glad we went. 

On 2/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, CUontheC said:

When we were on the Bliss with this same menu the pizza was included as part of the meal.  We also got the pasta and the main course and an appetizer.  Did they tell you the pizza was now a main course?

Since this is a la carte how does it work with the dining package? Dont usually get the dining package but opted to choose this time around.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:16 AM, chico 94 said:

Since this is a la carte how does it work with the dining package? Dont usually get the dining package but opted to choose this time around.

You would get an appetizer...soup salad, main course and dessert.  However in La Cucina there is a pasta dish you can get as well and the main course.  Someone said the pizza was now a main course.  I am not sure about that.  It wasn't when I was on the Bliss in September 2019.  You could get pizza and a main dish.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chico 94 said:

Are there specific dress codes for the specialty dining restaurants?

It can depend on the ship what is enforced, but generally speaking men should wear a collared shirt (Polo or Golf shirt OK) to Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.  Sometimes they will say Manhattan MDR also.   I've also seen it say that men should wear close-toed shoes to the same restaurants but I haven't seen that enforced.   You could check the Dailies for the ship you are going on.  Someone usually has recent Dailies printed for most ships.

They don't go into detail for women.  We get by with fancy flip flops if we want to 😉

I have seen men in tank tops & flip flops be seated 'outside' at Le Bistro on the Escape.  (Actually out in the atrium area outside restaurant.)

From the FAQs:  Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Edited by Sand and Seas