RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, GSRDPM said:

Sorry if this has already been said (I haven't yet read through all 12 pages of the thread), but it is possible that the ship may sailing at capacity due to X number of quads/triples being fully occupied. If so, higher category cabins may not yet been sold at the point when the sailing reached maximum capacity. Opening higher level cabins for bid only moves passengers around in the end.

Pretty sure that Royal would stop selling triples and quads before they reached capacity and had to let a suite sit empty.

• Haha 1

Opening higher level cabins for bid only moves passengers around in the end.

Yes, but as was posted earlier, the bidding system allows RCI to get more revenue on those same number of customers, by shifting up in categories.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been said (I haven't yet read through all 12 pages of the thread), but it is possible that the ship may sailing at capacity due to X number of quads/triples being fully occupied. If so, higher category cabins may not yet been sold at the point when the sailing reached maximum capacity. Opening higher level cabins for bid only moves passengers around in the end.

Possible, but it assumes people are moving with the same muster station, otherwise if a muster zone is full, they can't move guests to that zone who aren't already there.  

2 hours ago, DVC4US said:

Very disappointed in RCL and this program at the moment.  We have 3 reservations(linked) for the Dec 23rd sailing on Oasis and 2 of the parties received emails but I did not.  We are all interested in putting in a bid so I called RCL and was basically told if you don't get an email you can't participate.  Seems a little unfair that not everyone is allowed to bid and if I'm calling to ask about it why can't you add me to the list for an email?  Definitely should be in the cruise planner so everyone has a chance to participate.

Not  sure how they choose however, I assume that they do this to maximize profit (they are a business) and inventory control.  They will probably never offer it to everyone on a particular sailing. 

For example, if they have overbooked interior rooms (eg, through the use of guarantee rooms). Better for RCL if someone pays for an upgrade rather than giving it free to someone who has a guarantee cabin.  Then they will offer upgrade to ocean view from interior rooms.  They may offer balcony and above even if no rooms are available because as has been mentioned before, this is a means of getting additional income on last minute  cancellations. Even if they allow someone to put in a bid their chance of success may less than 1 in 10,000 (no last minute cancellations for the category you bid on, no upgrade).  While they may allow bids even with some online availability they will probably figure out fairly quickly that it does not make sense to award the room until online availability is completely gone. 

Hilton Hotels has been doing something like this for a while.  This is something like standby for a paid upgrade to first class on an airline.

In the end I assume the selection algorithm is designed to get the most income for the ship as a whole. And has ben said before the best outcome for RCL is that only a couple of interior cabins go unfilled on any cruise.

I am wondering if you get a suite cabin you get any of the perks that go with suites? 

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Not  sure how they choose however, I assume that they do this to maximize profit (they are a business) and inventory control.  They will probably never offer it to everyone on a particular sailing. 

For example, if they have overbooked interior rooms (eg, through the use of guarantee rooms). Better for RCL if someone pays for an upgrade rather than giving it free to someone who has a guarantee cabin.  Then they will offer upgrade to ocean view from interior rooms.  They may offer balcony and above even if no rooms are available because as has been mentioned before, this is a means of getting additional income on last minute  cancellations. Even if they allow someone to put in a bid their chance of success may less than 1 in 10,000 (no last minute cancellations for the category you bid on, no upgrade).  While they may allow bids even with some online availability they will probably figure out fairly quickly that it does not make sense to award the room until online availability is completely gone. 

Hilton Hotels has been doing something like this for a while.  This is something like standby for a paid upgrade to first class on an airline.

In the end I assume the selection algorithm is designed to get the most income for the ship as a whole. And has ben said before the best outcome for RCL is that only a couple of interior cabins go unfilled on any cruise.

I am wondering if you get a suite cabin you get any of the perks that go with suites? 

We are looking at going from a crown loft to a star loft, so sky to star.  From what I read, you do get the perks.  If you didn't, there would be no way it is worth it.  

• Like 1

Anyone know if a cruiser gets the double points for a suite in this new program?  Only asking because a friend, a while back, upgraded to a junior suite through a travel agent promotion.   He ( the travel agent ) traveling solo, only received double points rather than triple for a junior suite.  Has Royal said anything about Crown and Anchor points?  Just wondering.  My sister just got an email for a junior suite on Anthem in March.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I booked Laura on Oasis this week.  4 days out as I recall.  The website said there were cabins, but when you clicked it said none available.  

As a last resort I called Royal the next day and sure enough they had a nice OV balcony.

Web site not always right. Or someone cancelled 4 days out and I got lucky

11 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Anyone know if a cruiser gets the double points for a suite in this new program?  Only asking because a friend, a while back, upgraded to a junior suite through a travel agent promotion.   He ( the travel agent ) traveling solo, only received double points rather than triple for a junior suite.  Has Royal said anything about Crown and Anchor points?  Just wondering.  My sister just got an email for a junior suite on Anthem in March.

Definitely no second point, solo would still apply

2 hours ago, deepcman said:

We'll be on Serenade, January 11/19 and the ship is sold out but in Royal's infinite wisdom, we still get the email with the upgrade bidding offer.

Also, both DW and myself are registered for promotional emails but only she gets the upgrade emails. Got to love IT at Royal......

This is done by a third party company,  just like NCL's and Celebrity's programs.

Royal has nothing to do with it. Absolutely random. All Royal will do is keep your opt in email in a file. The file will be in a joint database where the upgrade program will pick blocks of data up at random. If your info is in that, you are getting the email.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I booked Laura on Oasis this week.  4 days out as I recall.  The website said there were cabins, but when you clicked it said none available.  

As a last resort I called Royal the next day and sure enough they had a nice OV balcony.

I have found that situation on Royal's website too. I check on other websites (big box, TA's, etc) and I have seen many rooms in the Royal's sold out /GTY category available with cabin #s on other sites. I pick the cabin and call them back and ask is cabin xxx available, invariable they say no we do not see it; I request them to do a search for that, and say I see it on all other websites, how come you do not show it available. Then the rep does some search on his/her end and 99% comes up with "yes, it is available".  The other 1% it is not available to me because I am booking a 4 person room for 2 people and they will tell me that they cannot book me at present but to try later.

P.S. What a cute puppy!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I see that kind of thing all the time when I'm checking for price drops. Categories of rooms that were previously unavailable (assuming sold-out) become available.....then unavailable a few weeks later.....then available again.   Sometime showing as available on a TA's website but not RCI.....or vice-versa.

That's why when people are saying they are getting Royal Up offers on their sold-out sailing, I'm thinking "hmmmm, its not really sold out"

Edited by HBE4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Is she on deck 11?   That's right around when I upgraded to a JS, the old fashioned way and my deck 11 balcony would have opened up.  

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is she on deck 11?   That's right around when I upgraded to a JS, the old fashioned way and my deck 11 balcony would have opened up.  

Deck 9.  Did you ever try CK? Best she could get was 8pm

2 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

No you get the points for the room you booked

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

This is why I think one of the objectives of asking for bids is sort of a marketing survey. 

I don't think it's that sophisticated.

But you can't predict the future, and the occupants of that Royal Suite may have to cancel one week out for any number of reasons, and then they have a valuable resource to sell. Nothing like a readily available list of takers that they can select the highest bidder and reassign it quickly to, and make a nice margin in the process.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Heres another twist for you all.  Yesterday I immediately bid the max amount for an upgrade on the OS, Slyloft, upper loft, and GS.  I am on Anthem 1/6 12 day its our 30th anniversary and I said what the hell lets see what happens.  We are currently in JS/lg balc.

I went to click on modify today and now the "max bid" is higher than the offer I made yesterday.  Thats a game changer for me.  If They are going to continue to raise the bar without us knowing thats not very cool.  They will just continue to raise the max bid to raise revenue on already guaranteed money from earlier bids. If they are going to continue to raise the bar on the max bid that is not cool with me.

Standard feature of plusgrade. The bid range can increase as bids are made. Conversely it can decrease if they are withdrawn...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

If they are going to put in a max bid amount that does not sound fair to me.  They will just keep upping the max amount until people stop bidding.  Doesn't sound right

If 5 other people had already bid the max of say $1000, what's the point of you being limited to a max of $1000 as well?

Makes sense for it to change, so you can bid more if others are keen. But you don't have to bid at the max if you dont' want, so it just makes it more realistic of what a realistic bid is. Otherwise you'd lose out compared to existing bidders, whether bidding min or max.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Deck 9.  Did you ever try CK? Best she could get was 8pm

8pm last night.  CK was mostly empty. 

Got 7:30pm day 7.   Hit the lottery! 

I asked the operator for their phone number and just called rather than banging on the door like a vagrant.  

• Like 1

My sailing 12/9 shows sold out except for a JS and a couple of Inside (I use a certain German  site to check such things). Received RoyalUp email 11/28, found in "Junk" folder, and it offers Royal Suite starting $1000/pp, Owners Suite $750pp, 

Grand Suite $350pp, JS  $200pp, Panoramic(No Balcony), $150.

Think I'll pass.

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I looked at it again and saw the issue. Since yesterday, the min bid went up by $100 (so did the A1 cabin, but not the rest) so I can't go any lower than the new min bid. So, like on board and cabin pricing, we have dynamic pricing going on here.

So, this morning the MIN bid went down to $500 for the GS (was initially $600, went up to $700 yesterday). While the slider does go all the way down to 500 and there's a link to save the revised bid, the system doesn't seem to save.

So, I cancel the bid and re-bid. This time the slider starts at $600 again.🤷‍♂️

Biker, who doesn't mind being a beta tester.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, pspercy said:

My sailing 12/9 shows sold out except for a JS and a couple of Inside (I use a certain German  site to check such things). Received RoyalUp email 11/28, found in "Junk" folder, and it offers Royal Suite starting $1000/pp, Owners Suite $750pp, 

Grand Suite $350pp, JS  $200pp, Panoramic(No Balcony), $150.

Think I'll pass.

See post #459