Mexico Travel Advisory

JudithLynne

We will be on a Mexican Riviera cruise later this month.  As of 11-15-2018 there is currently a level 4 (the highest level) advisory for travel to Mazatlán, one of our ports:

Sinaloa state – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Violent crime is widespread. Criminal organizations are based and operating in Sinaloa state.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following areas with the noted restrictions:

• Mazatlán: U.S. government employees may travel by air or sea only. U.S. government employees are limited to the Zona Dorada and historic town center, and must use direct routes when traveling to and from those locations and the airport and cruise terminals.

Some of us on our small roll call are nervous about this.  One member contacted HAL and got this response:  "No changes to the itinerary or available tour options have been announced at this point, but we do actively monitor the areas that we take our guests with their safety in mind. Should any changes be made in light of the travel advisory, we will notify our guests by email detailing the changes." 

Should we be concerned?

I just got a STEP program notice of a travel advisory for Spain too - Level Two

Heading to the Mexican Riviera myself for the holidays - it will be a great disappointment to miss Mazatlan - one of my favorites.  Thanks for the heads up. Level Four is very serious. But thank goodness the Centro Historico is still okay. 

Wonder if this is linked to increased US narco wars and local Sinaloa state in-fighting for new drug lord leadership - the El Chapo trial, as well as the legalization of recreational marijuana in Calif which is now coming to full effect first of the year - intended to cut into the illegal drug trade out of Mexico. So Calif voters were told. Mexican drug lords may be testing the new Mexican president as well. 

Edited by OlsSalt

8 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

We will be on a Mexican Riviera cruise later this month.  As of 11-15-2018 there is currently a level 4 (the highest level) advisory for travel to Mazatlán, one of our ports:

Violent crime is widespread. Criminal organizations are based and operating in Sinaloa state.

Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following areas with the noted restrictions:

• Mazatlán: U.S. government employees may travel by air or sea only. U.S. government employees are limited to the Zona Dorada and historic town center, and must use direct routes when traveling to and from those locations and the airport and cruise terminals.

Some of us on our small roll call are nervous about this.  One member contacted HAL and got this response:  "No changes to the itinerary or available tour options have been announced at this point, but we do actively monitor the areas that we take our guests with their safety in mind. Should any changes be made in light of the travel advisory, we will notify our guests by email detailing the changes." 

Should we be concerned?

As the notice states that government employees can travel is Zona Dorada and historic town center. So as long as you stay on a cruise line excursion or well known local tour companies or in Zona Dorado and historic town center I would not expect an issue.  I would not go an do a taxi at random.

This is not new to Mazatlan -- just do a ship excursion if you want to something away from the port.

I agree -- do not go outside and take a taxi to town.

A number of years ago Mazatlan was removed from itineraries.  

When we were in 2016 the shop area at the pier had been expanded -- very nice.

I too will be on  the holiday cruise  that stops here  and contacted the  HAL tour department about the  advisability of taking one of the offered tours that goes  to  settings outside of the " approved zones"  noted in the travel advisory. I was told  as of today  these tours will continue to be offered and  if there is any change either in the itinerary  or the tours offered, an email will be sent out to TA's  and  passengers who booked directly.

For those of us who booked through a big box store this could present a problem  as often they receive 1000's of emails and do not guarantee follow- through....(their main downside).

Edited by puli

We were in Mazatlan for 3 weeks in November.   The only worry I had was the state of the sidewalks.   Keep looking down to avoid tripping.   I felt safe every day.   I've read about not being on the beach at night but that isn't something we would do anyway.   We enjoyed ourselves in the Golden Zone, at the new Aquarium and various restaurants.   There's a large Canadian and American expat community that spends weeks/months there every winter.      

• Like 1

Use common sense! We take a pulmonia (not the one in the pic), a local open air cab with a VW engine and whole bunch of bells and whistles :classic_wink: to the Zona Dorada, do some shopping, have lunch, and come back via another pulmonia. The drive back and forth along the Esplanade is scenic. The shore excursions are fine also. Enjoy yourselves!

Image result for Mazatlan Pulmonia

Our cruise starts Sunday Dec 9th to the Mexican  Riviera  on Eurodam . Although we knew of past violence in the Mazatlan area ,we  just read these posts . Thanks for the heads up &  because of the potential for problems we will either stay within the port area where  the sales stalls are located or forgo & stay on the ship

It is a shame that it being Dec 12 th  ;which is the Big Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe  we are in Mazatlan & we had planed  to  hire a taxi to go to the Cathedral & then sight see in the area . However ,now that is  cancelled 

IMO Mexico ports are even less appealing than Caribbean ones.  Mazatlan was dicey fifteen years ago when we did a west coast cruise.  However, seven day cruises are the bread  and butter of mass market lines.  They have to park the ships somewhere.  California departures are accessible to millions and typically,  Mexican cruises are very cheap.  

We have been to Mazatlan a few times, apart from staying in Puerto Vallarta for some months in wintertime, we never had any problems in either city. Use common sense, leave valuables on board, donot drink too much.  Old town Mazatlan is quite nice, as is the Malecon along the ocean Take one of those Pulmonias, make your price before entering and enjoy Mazatlan.

Mcrcuiser indeed too bad you willnot be in Puerto Vallarta December 12. It is amazing to watch the pilgrims singing, some dancing while walking to the church. One of the special moments there.

According to the travel advisory there seems to be no reason to avoid Mazatlan's two prime attractions: Centro Historico and the Zona Dorada. There is a beauriful restoration going on in Centro Historico and the Malecon, with wonderful restaurant choices.  Mazatlan is also home to Pacifico beer -one of the best Mexican beers in our opinion. Fresh Mexican cuisine, seafood, restored colonial architecture, lively markets and a delicious light local beer - there is lots to like about a Mazatlan stop. 

Following all due caution as the travel advisory recommends, Mazatlan is one of our favorite Mexican Riviera stops. We much prefer the Mexican Riviera for its low key feel, instead of the more typically crime-riddled, over-impacted and generic chain-tourism feel of virtually all the big Caribbean port..

We are glad HAL is getting back into the Mexican Riviera. Hope conditions allow this to continue, and keep adding more Sea of Cortez options too. And yes, we do like the west coast departure.

Edited by OlsSalt

23 minutes ago, scottee said:

Do you think it's safe enough to talk to La Puntilla which is close to the cruise terminal?

Talk and walk, yes! :classic_wink: However, a Pulmonia will get you there faster. There is not much to see in the commercial port of Mazatlan, the adjoining major Armada de Mexico naval base, and the neighborhood leading up to La Puntilla, Btw, the majority of the Pulmonias and taxis park inside the gates of the terminal just west of the many shops and the little bar

We will be on the Dec16 cruise and are not altering our plans at all. The advisory says Zona Dorado Center Historico are OK. Most of us don’t really go anywhere else, do we? We’re taking a pulmonia to Plaza Machado, having some lunch, walking around, and may walk back to the ship. We may also take a pulmonia to Zona Dorado as I have a specific thing I’m looking for. We aren’t going to any sketchy areas. We Never wear jewelry or flash money all over. And it’s daytime! I am not one bit concerned and certainly not about to be scared away. I’m not buying any drugs or looking for any criminal activity. I think we’ll be fine. Actually, I think we’ll all be fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So to be clear.  Your government has issued the highest level travel advisory for the area.  The advisory is Do Not Travel due to widespread violent crime.  OP's question is "Should they be concerned?"

Yes, you should definitely be concerned.  Your government is advising you not to travel there because of concerns for your personal safety.  The fact that others have traveled in the past without incident has absolutely no bearing on the widespread violent crime happening today.

We all have to accept personal responsibility for the travel decisions that we make.  We can't hold the cruise lines responsible over our own personal choices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dee2673 said:

... The advisory says Zona Dorado Center Historico are OK.

The advisory does not state that at all.  The advisory states that government employees are to "limit" their travel to those areas and must use "direct" routes - most likely government provided transportation or government approved suppliers.

3 hours ago, Ine said:

We have been to Mazatlan a few times, apart from staying in Puerto Vallarta for some months in wintertime, we never had any problems in either city. Use common sense, leave valuables on board, donot drink too much.  Old town Mazatlan is quite nice, as is the Malecon along the ocean Take one of those Pulmonias, make your price before entering and enjoy Mazatlan.

Mcrcuiser indeed too bad you willnot be in Puerto Vallarta December 12. It is amazing to watch the pilgrims singing, some dancing while walking to the church. One of the special moments there.

Some years ago  we were on this type of cruise & we were in PV   on Dec 12th .  During that time there was a dance  show with the locals & the Indians dressed in their native costumes dancing their folk  dances .I cam corded  the entire hour plus . We also visited the Cathedral with all the flowers & saw all the tables with food .It was an amazing sight to see :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

The advisory does not state that at all.  The advisory states that government employees are to "limit" their travel to those areas and must use "direct" routes - most likely government provided transportation or government approved suppliers.

That’s how I choose to take it. I refuse to live in fear. I will travel by direct route. I will stay in the areas my government says it allows its employees to be in. I won’t be foolhardy but I also won’t be scared away . My choice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do not place much stock in State Dept. travel warnings.  We suspect that they are as much CYA as they are real warnings.  

It would be interesting to apply the same parameters that the State Dept uses to report out on some US cities.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

If it is unsafe for general passengers, HAL  will not dock there. Or specifically advise accordingly.  Stay tuned. Good to have this upfront notice there may be a change in plans. We have been to several ports where we got specific notices to avoid certain specific areas.

Lima Peru and Montego Bay, Jamaica most recently.  But shore excursions continued to be offered and private tour or DIY passengers had due notice for their own safety concerns. 

Edited by OlsSalt

It pays to read the entire travel advisory. It deals with road travel within and through the state of Sinaloa which has been, and is, home to violent drug cartels

• Mazatlan: U.S. government employees may travel by air or sea only. U.S. government employees are limited to the Zona Dorada and historic town center, and must use direct routes when traveling to and from those locations and the airport and cruise terminals.
  • Los Mochis and Topolobampo: U.S. government employees may travel by air or sea only. U.S. government employees are restricted to the city and the port, and must use direct routes when traveling between these locations and to and from the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1