Biometric Exit - Miami Terminal A

amscene1

10 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

My guess as well..  

I wonder if I missed anything on how and when the initial or ( BASE ) photo was taken.  No one seems to know????

They probably use the boarding photo the cruise line gives them.

Not sure what you mean by BASE.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Interesting!

I am very sure you can give them a photo that could not be used for biometric usage - like a sideways view - that is the way I would go.....👍

I would think that if you gave them such a photo (this wasn't possible the last time I cruised RCI) they would make you take another one that can be used when you board.   They use that photo to allow you to reboard at every port.  Some ports are more stringent than others.  I remember someone in my party being asked to take off sunglasses and hat when we reboarded once - they couldn't clearly compare to the picture on file.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Clarea said:

They probably use the boarding photo the cruise line gives them.

Not sure what you mean by BASE.

Usually the first sample of anything is considered to be the base or baseline and that is what future samples would be judged against.

I wonder if the Photos submitted on line when getting your Sea Pass would be used as well ??

16 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Usually the first sample of anything is considered to be the base or baseline and that is what future samples would be judged against.

I wonder if the Photos submitted on line when getting your Sea Pass would be used as well ??

Sure, if the photos are acceptable for facial recognition.

My guess is that they use whatever photo the cruise line gives them from the current cruise, not some cruise in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNfamilycruiser said:

I would think that if you gave them such a photo (this wasn't possible the last time I cruised RCI) they would make you take another one that can be used when you board.   They use that photo to allow you to reboard at every port.  Some ports are more stringent than others.  I remember someone in my party being asked to take off sunglasses and hat when we reboarded once - they couldn't clearly compare to the picture on file.

Such a photo would definitely not be acceptable for facial recognition.  Typically, the actual picture of your face is not stored for facial recognition (although it would be stored for Royal employees to look at).  Facial recognition measures several things on your face that cannot be easily change, like the distance between your eyes, the width of your nose, cheek bones, jaw lines, etc.  It stores these measurements.  Facial hair, eye color, glasses, hair color/length, etc. are all easily changed and are not measured/stored.  When checking for a match, the system will quickly take these measurements from the image being presented and compare against what was previously stored.  You typically need a straight on picture of the entire face to take these measurements, although with newer 3D imaging cameras, you have more accuracy and more ability to handle images that are not straight on.

42 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Such a photo would definitely not be acceptable for facial recognition.  Typically, the actual picture of your face is not stored for facial recognition (although it would be stored for Royal employees to look at).  Facial recognition measures several things on your face that cannot be easily change, like the distance between your eyes, the width of your nose, cheek bones, jaw lines, etc.  It stores these measurements.  Facial hair, eye color, glasses, hair color/length, etc. are all easily changed and are not measured/stored.  When checking for a match, the system will quickly take these measurements from the image being presented and compare against what was previously stored.  You typically need a straight on picture of the entire face to take these measurements, although with newer 3D imaging cameras, you have more accuracy and more ability to handle images that are not straight on.

Interesting, I wonder if the CBP and/or IDEMA will store the biometric data past the single cruise?  Probably not at this point.  Also speculating that they are limiting the use to those who travelled with passports because the passport represents an additional layer of identification?  I have used the machines that scan your passport and then takes photo for international flights - but this seems to be simply a check that the passengers getting off are the same people as the ones who got on.  

Purely a guess, but I'd think they would only store the facial recognition data for the length of the cruise, plus maybe a few extra days/weeks in case it's needed afterward for some reason.  They don't want to get hacked and lose millions of people's data that they've been storing for a long time (can you say Starwood Hotels??).  Again guessing, but I think CBD is only interested in knowing that the people who get off the ship are the same that got on.

• Like 1

We checked in today for our cruise in March on Symphony.  We had to check a box that stated that we were OK with biometrics being used. We agreed, so we checked it. I guess if you didn’t check it meant you didn’t agree, most likely getting more screening at the cruise port on disembarkation. 

We had submitted our own photos for our sea pass photo. We have no idea if they are referencing that photo or the ones from our passports. 

• Thanks 1

When we checked in at the terminal for our symphony cruise they scanned our passport photo.   I believe this is the photo used for the facial recognition.     They also confirmed that the photo we submitted for the set sail pass was sufficient  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We checked in today for our cruise in March on Symphony.  We had to check a box that stated that we were OK with biometrics being used. We agreed, so we checked it. I guess if you didn’t check it meant you didn’t agree, most likely getting more screening at the cruise port on disembarkation. 

We had submitted our own photos for our sea pass photo. We have no idea if they are referencing that photo or the ones from our passports. 

Interesting!  I don't remember agreeing to this for our 12/1/18 Symphony cruise however it worked for us when departing yesterday so perhaps I did :classic_blush:

Sounds like they are interfacing with Global Entry.  When we received our GE it was connected to our passports.  We didn't get a seperate GE card.  When we exited at SFO returning from Hong Kong they scanned our passport and the kiosk photographed our face.  They also did a flat fingertip scan, which sounds like they aren't doing for the cruise.  

23 hours ago, Biker19 said:

From their privacy notice:

2.1 We are a global business and as such We may need to share your personal data with other members in the Royal Caribbean Group for the purposes as outlined in this privacy notice. This means that We may transfer your personal data outside of the EEA (including to the United States as this is where the servers that We use for Our business and on which your personal data is stored are located). Sometimes transferring your personal data outside the EEA will be necessary for Us to perform Our contract with you (e.g., to provide your cruise). We use the European Commission’s standard data protection clauses (also known as Model Clauses) to provide safeguards for your personal data that is transferred outside the EEA so you can rest assured that the Royal Caribbean Group seeks to adhere to the strict European standards of data security and usage. 

Your rights 

3.1 You have the right to ask Us to:

1. restrict Our processing of your personal data;
  2. object to Our processing of your personal data;
  3. request that We move your personal data to another organization;
  4. object specifically to Us using your personal data for profiling for direct marketing purposes; or
  5. provide a copy of your personal data in an easily accessible format

3.2 You also have the right to make a complaint about how We process your personal data to your data protection supervisory authority. 

3.3 Where you have specifically consented to Our use of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Please contact Us if you want to do this. See Our website for contact details.

When I read the link to the regulation.  It applies to data collected IN the EEA/EU.  So sailings that depart from the United States are not affected by this regulation, in regards to pictures/biometric data collected at time of boarding.

Walt Disney World has been collecting biometric data for decades.  i.e. the scan of your finger when you use your pass.  The first time you use your pass, they store the "finger print" and from then on whenever you enter a park they compare it the copy they have on file.

14 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Interesting!  I don't remember agreeing to this for our 12/1/18 Symphony cruise however it worked for us when departing yesterday so perhaps I did :classic_blush:

We didn’t have it for our late January Allure sailing either. 

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Good to know!👍

I’m not exactly sure how if it force you to click that box to continue on or not for your cruise check in. That being said it I knew you’d be interested in this. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m not exactly sure how if it force you to click that box to continue on or not for your cruise check in. That being said it I knew you’d be interested in this. 

I would not let them force me into checking the box.....:classic_rolleyes:

Else they would have to do it manually at the port!👍

• Like 1

Just got off the SoS on Saturday, and love the facial recognition. Breezed right through, but had to remove my glasses. I was surprised that I was never asked the normal customs questions, like "Are you carrying any fruits or vegetables?" or "Have your purchased items totaling more than $800 while outside the US?".

9 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Did you have your glasses on - when you took the seapass photo?

Where did they ask you to take the glasses off?🤔

They asked me to take my glasses off at the customs facial recognition camera after the cruise. I had my glasses on for my seapass photo, but not for my passport photo.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Interesting!

I am very sure you can give them a photo that could not be used for biometric usage - like a sideways view - that is the way I would go.....👍

6 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Or do not check the box and give a biometric photo.....

They're not going to let you board the ship with a profile (sideways) view photo.  

You have to provide them with a full-face photo to be connected to your SeaPass account.  

Since you're afraid of both photos and gratuities, might I suggest that a cruise vacation is not the right choice for you....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

They're not going to let you board the ship with a profile (sideways) view photo.  

You have to provide them with a full-face photo to be connected to your SeaPass account.  

Since you're afraid of both photos and gratuities, might I suggest that a cruise vacation is not the right choice for you....

No worries I will be fine!😘

It was already reported earlier in the thread that you can only use this if you used a passport to check in.  To me that would imply that they are using your picture from your passport (which they would have digitally stored) to compare with the facial recognition and not a picture that is associated with your seapass card.