Biometric Exit - Miami Terminal A

amscene1

I just left symphony of the seas cruise and the new terminal A in Miami has a “biometric exit” where you walk up to a camera / video screen and it takes a picture of you and gives you a green light to proceed. 

Can somone tell me how this works. I had non residents in my party and everyone was approved. 

https://gcn.com/blogs/pulse/2017/11/facial-id-cruise-ships.aspx

An ocean-going version of CBP's Biometric Exit program, the “Sea Re-entry” trial, used IDEMIA’s facial capture and recognition solution to verify that individuals disembarking Royal Caribbean Line (RCL) ships were the same ticketed passengers who boarded at the start of a cruise. The trial, which was conducted at Cape Liberty Cruise Port, N.J., and demonstrated high-quality, high-speed facial matching, also expedited passengers' Customs inspections, officials said.

Edited by bilyclub
add
  • Like 2

I too disembarked the Symphony this morning.  I had a 7 o’clock departure time. I walked off the ship at 7:05 and was exiting  the parking garage and heading home at 7:20.  The entire experience was easy and stress-free. Even paying for the garage parking.  

More from the link provided by bilyclub:

The agency also is working with JetBlue on a program that allows passengers exiting the country to have their pictures taken at a camera station in lieu of being issued a boarding pass. For land border crossings, CBP wants to use facial recognition technology to validate the identities of travelers entering and exiting the country without requiring occupants to leave their moving vehicle.

Minority Report is not far away.

We went through this in Miami too and it was super-simple. They had a port security person direct each of us to stand and then approach the camera. It took a shot and off we went. It even sent one of the folks in our party who's a foreign citizen straight through. Much as I like saying hello to the immigration folks on the way into the county (they've always been nice to me), I can get by without it.

I can't speak to how well this-all flowed. We were pretty much the last folks through thanks to that mess of a luggage pickup we had that took the better part of an hour.

I know they're moving towards integrating passport photos into more some sort of bio-metric scheme. I just renewed my passport, and this time they wanted a picture without eyeglasses on. They may be part of the process somewhere, but who knows to what extent.

Overall, I'm pretty sure the customs folks do almost all their work ahead of time and through various intelligence methods. So, checking folks whom they haven't flagged back in to a port is probably pretty mundane and not a good use of manpower. Heck, they even got rid of those silly-assed forms they made everyone fill out. That was another total waste of paper.

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I am very hesitant to share biometric data......😱

I am not sure we would want to have RCI this data!😱🤔

From what has just been described, it sounds as if it is using the photograph taken when you boarded the ship.

I am very hesitant to share biometric data......😱

I am not sure we would want to have RCI this data!😱🤔

I don't think you understand what "biometric data" means.  

It's your picture.  Which they have had for every cruise taken in the last decade or so.

Relax, it's not a huge world conspiracy, and they're not going to make you tip the camera operator.  

• Like 1

When I got off the Mariner in Miami yesterday (in Terminal A), I used this system.  Our instructions were that it was only for persons with passports.  All those with just birth certificates were told they had to use the "standard' procedures.

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

It's your picture.  Which they have had for every cruise taken in the last decade or so.

Unfortunately that is true.....😱:classic_rolleyes:

If I run into this I will try to opt-out...I assume they want you to sign some kind of release to process the picture.....👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Unfortunately that is true.....😱:classic_rolleyes:

If I run into this I will try to opt-out...I assume they want you to sign some kind of release to process the picture.....👍

You're not required to tip the camera person, but you are required to get your picture taken to get on the ship in the first place.  But if you want to get in the longer line at the end of the cruise, more power to ya -- just makes the fast line even faster for the rest of us.  

• Like 2

Although I don't trust the Royal IT Department, I'd guess that this system must comply with the recent GDPR regulations for EU citizens (since EU citizens cruise out of Miami).  Certain infringements of GDPR can result in a fine of 2-4% annual revenue.  If Royal violated the GDPR, the could be on the hook for a $200M+ fine from the EU.  They may not be motivated to fix their website, but a fine like that would certainly motivate me to get this biometric system right.

49 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Although I don't trust the Royal IT Department, I'd guess that this system must comply with the recent GDPR regulations for EU citizens (since EU citizens cruise out of Miami). 

From their privacy notice:

2.1 We are a global business and as such We may need to share your personal data with other members in the Royal Caribbean Group for the purposes as outlined in this privacy notice. This means that We may transfer your personal data outside of the EEA (including to the United States as this is where the servers that We use for Our business and on which your personal data is stored are located). Sometimes transferring your personal data outside the EEA will be necessary for Us to perform Our contract with you (e.g., to provide your cruise). We use the European Commission’s standard data protection clauses (also known as Model Clauses) to provide safeguards for your personal data that is transferred outside the EEA so you can rest assured that the Royal Caribbean Group seeks to adhere to the strict European standards of data security and usage. 

Your rights 

3.1 You have the right to ask Us to:

1. restrict Our processing of your personal data;
  2. object to Our processing of your personal data;
  3. request that We move your personal data to another organization;
  4. object specifically to Us using your personal data for profiling for direct marketing purposes; or
  5. provide a copy of your personal data in an easily accessible format

3.2 You also have the right to make a complaint about how We process your personal data to your data protection supervisory authority. 

3.3 Where you have specifically consented to Our use of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Please contact Us if you want to do this. See Our website for contact details.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, MNfamilycruiser said:

My guess - your picture used to board the ship/taken when you board the ship.

My guess as well..  

I wonder if I missed anything on how and when the initial or ( BASE ) photo was taken.  No one seems to know????