Final payment a year in advance of the trip

bwc318

I was lurking to watch the update on Viking Sky...First so happy that it appears only minor injuries and massive disruption...great work Viking sky crew...now on the comment on THIS thread....

i think Viking is one of the most arrogant companies and will NEVER EVER book with them again

Four years ago we booked a river cruise with these losers and were forced to pay a year in advance...all went well till about 120 days out when they arbitrarily decided to convert our booking to a charter which they continued to lie about up till the day it occurred.  They notified my travel agent by email and refused to make any alternate or be responsible for our flight costs( cancellation penalties).  They “generously”  (their words not mine) agreed to return our money in only two weeks not six as they initially wanted to do and refused to make any additional accommodation other than price protect a later cruise which did not meet our needs in ANY respect. 

As travel companies this is easily the most egregious treatment we have EVER received and justifies our statement that we would never ever do business with them again...if you plan to book with them I suggest you keep this story in mind before you throw money at them as there is a lot of competition that treats customers better in my humble opinion

I have said it before and will say it again.  If you don't want to pay that far out, book later.  We never book, even World Cruises, more than 6-8 months out.  And does it really cut into someone's lifestyle to pay for the cruise this week or in two months? (Assuming a cruise is affordable in the first place).  

• Like 1

We booked our cruise for next year last summer before VO changed their policy and we have our final payment only 6 months out, which I think is ridiculous. If they had wanted 12 months or more out no way I would have booked the cruise. I do not want to help VO finance their new ships at 0% interest. This will be our first and last cruise with VO unless they back off this ridiculous pre payment policy. Not one other cruise line has such a long prepayment requirement. VO has not impressed me so far as a company.  We booked with 2 other couples and they all feel the same way I as on this.  Our first and last VO cruise will be in September 2020, take that you VO bean counters you will have no repeat business from all 6 of us!!!

As Jim mentioned, if you don't want to pay 1 year ahead, delay booking until the time you want to pay. However, it should be noted that many of the 2019 cruises are already sold out, which may restrict the options.

While I'm not overly happy paying for a cruise 1 yr in advance, if the option is returning to mega ships to get 90 day full payment, I'll stick with Viking. Also note that when I book flights 11 months in advance, I pay in full at time of booking, same with the hotel I just booked pre-cruise.

As Jim mentioned, if you don't want to pay 1 year ahead, delay booking until the time you want to pay. However, it should be noted that many of the 2019 cruises are already sold out, which may restrict the options.

While I'm not overly happy paying for a cruise 1 yr in advance, if the option is returning to mega ships to get 90 day full payment, I'll stick with Viking. Also note that when I book flights 11 months in advance, I pay in full at time of booking, same with the hotel I just booked pre-cruise.

Hah! You book your flights 11 mo out, too! I thought I was the only one.
Although in my case it has been to get the "saver" rate for redeeming miles, as it seemed the airline would only release 2 tix at that rate when booking opened 11 mo (330 days?) out. Meant I had to book each direction as a 1-way, and weeks apart.
Fun stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I guess Viking is very much in demand but they asked me to pay 1 and a half years in advance.  I am going to call today and see what I can do about changing it.  But they seem fixed on the rules.  Not willing to bend.  I guess I will loose my deposit if they do not change and I cancel.

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Quite a bit of the more popular 2020 cruises are also sold out.  I'm looking at taking my daughter on a Mediterranean cruise after she graduates from college next spring but she has no idea where she'll be that summer.  I'll be lucky if I get get a 3 months notice so there is no way I can pay one year out.  I'll keep looking but I'm resigned to just taking her to Rome and Venice for week. 

11 minutes ago, Marykatesmom said:

Quite a bit of the more popular 2020 cruises are also sold out.  I'm looking at taking my daughter on a Mediterranean cruise after she graduates from college next spring but she has no idea where she'll be that summer.  I'll be lucky if I get get a 3 months notice so there is no way I can pay one year out.  I'll keep looking but I'm resigned to just taking her to Rome and Venice for week. 

A cruise may say sold out but until final payment  is made, who knows for sure?  As things progress with this new policy a lot of people may change their minds for whatever reason and cruises that were once selling quickly may suddenly take a change in how people book.  The V cabins may still go quickly for those looking for best fare but other cabins may appear more often.  Those not wanting to tie up their money for so long may find an advantage in waiting to book if the trend turns to booking later and due to the lack of bookings, Viking may be forced to offer more incentives closer to sailing..  When your dealt you hand in poker, it all depends on how you finesse them to see who comes out the winner.  Game is in progress now let's see who actually wins when the game is called.

16 hours ago, rjsretired said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I will talk to them this week and if they do not change the final payment date, I will withdraw my booking.  Of course, they will keep my deposit but it is the safest thing to do.  

Good for you--the more people who do this the sooner they will change this terrible business model.  But don't they have small cancellation penalties?  They shouldn't get to keep your whole deposit, at least not in North America.

16 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I have said it before and will say it again.  If you don't want to pay that far out, book later.  We never book, even World Cruises, more than 6-8 months out.  And does it really cut into someone's lifestyle to pay for the cruise this week or in two months? (Assuming a cruise is affordable in the first place).  

That risks not getting the cabin you want.  And of course that's a two-edged sword.  If people stopped booking Viking until six months or less prior, then there'd be plenty of availability!

I don't understand your second-last sentence about cutting into your lifestyle.  Paying in full for a cruise a year or more in advance, instead of 3-6 months in advance, certainly would cut into someone's lifestyle.

17 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I don't understand your second-last sentence about cutting into your lifestyle.  Paying in full for a cruise a year or more in advance, instead of 3-6 months in advance, certainly would cut into someone's lifestyle.

If you pay for a cruise a long time before or when you book closer to sail date, the cruise is going to cost you what the cruise costs.  I think a lot of people are tied up to the idea of all the interest they are losing if they leave it in their account  longer.  With interest rates what they are today are we really talking a lot of money compared to what you are paying for the cruise in the first place?  In some ways, I can understand Vikings logic, even if I don't always agree with it.  These are not cheap cruises.  They will cost more than the base price when all is said and done.  There's getting to and from the ports, "fee' excursions, if any, gratuities(if you are in the states), on ship expenses--be it spa services, on board, purchases at shops, extra drinks on your tab or trip insurance.  If you have different times when things are due, it doesn't seem like you are spending that but your account will reflect it.  With a deposit due at time of booking, final payment at a later date, insurance at some other time, Travel to and from port at another, fee excursions at another, gratuities at another and any on shore purchases while in port, your final bill when you disembark could be small.  This does not mean the cruise is less than expensive.  You may have to figure out a way to make this work with your budget, if it's on Viking's timeline or yours.  Even if it may not be a normal trip for some they can make it work for that special occasion but adjustments meed to be made.  Most people understand this.  The push back seems to be more vocal from those are balancing several cruises at the same time with a lot of money tied up.  This is a bad position to be in but when you begin to talk about the amount of money invested when all is said and done, most interest gathered pails by comparison for this to be a real issue, if this is the way you choose to spend your money.

36 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

If you pay for a cruise a long time before or when you book closer to sail date, the cruise is going to cost you what the cruise costs.  I think a lot of people are tied up to the idea of all the interest they are losing if they leave it in their account  longer.  With interest rates what they are today are we really talking a lot of money compared to what you are paying for the cruise in the first place?  In some ways, I can understand Vikings logic, even if I don't always agree with it.  These are not cheap cruises.  They will cost more than the base price when all is said and done.  There's getting to and from the ports, "fee' excursions, if any, gratuities(if you are in the states), on ship expenses--be it spa services, on board, purchases at shops, extra drinks on your tab or trip insurance.  If you have different times when things are due, it doesn't seem like you are spending that but your account will reflect it.  With a deposit due at time of booking, final payment at a later date, insurance at some other time, Travel to and from port at another, fee excursions at another, gratuities at another and any on shore purchases while in port, your final bill when you disembark could be small.  This does not mean the cruise is less than expensive.  You may have to figure out a way to make this work with your budget, if it's on Viking's timeline or yours.  Even if it may not be a normal trip for some they can make it work for that special occasion but adjustments meed to be made.  Most people understand this.  The push back seems to be more vocal from those are balancing several cruises at the same time with a lot of money tied up.  This is a bad position to be in but when you begin to talk about the amount of money invested when all is said and done, most interest gathered pails by comparison for this to be a real issue, if this is the way you choose to spend your money.

It's a cash flow and opportunity cost issue. Yes, if you have several cruises in your timeline over a couple of years, this would be a problem, and you'd end up having to pay interest, say, on that money, either from your credit card company, line of credit, whatever, or tax penalties for withdrawing pension funds early.     For some it's not a special occasion, but a string of great trips during a period of ten or twenty years.

And the line that I generally travel on is pretty well all upfront, except for spas, a few paid excursions, and travel insurance of course.

I sincerely hope that posters here who strongly object to Viking's "pay WAY in advance policy" either cancel their booking or avoid booking with Viking altogether.  I'm tired of having to pick my Viking cruises 2 years out because of high consumer demand making them fully booked.

Please stop booking so that I can book the Viking cruises I want within less than one year lead time.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

I sincerely hope that posters here who strongly object to Viking's "pay WAY in advance policy" either cancel their booking or avoid booking with Viking altogether.  I'm tired of having to pick my Viking cruises 2 years out because of high consumer demand making them fully booked.

Please stop booking so that I can book the Viking cruises I want within less than one year lead time.

We select the Veranda cabins, which fill up very quickly, so we are usually booking rather far out too. We generally only take one cruise a year, so at any given time we have one paid in full, one under deposit, and the next in line selected in my head for booking on or just after the upcoming cruise takes place. There are some perks for booking on board, so that helps with my strategy. Cancel for any reason insurance becomes an important (and expensive) part of this plan. Acquiring this rather expensive hobby after our kids were grown is why I am still working at an age when many have retired!

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Viking cruises do seem to book up quickly.  I'm not sure you will get your wish.  I hope you do.

I just booked an October 2020 Mediterranean Odyssey cruise on Viking Jupiter. I booked directly through Viking. Although I knew their 1 year policy, I was told by the agent my final payment will be due this June! I corrected her, and let her know I would be paying in early October.

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Here, here!   I would have to agree with you, after reading through this thread.

Still not sure why those who dislike Viking keep having to say all the time they will never use them.  Perhaps they feel the need to vent.   Certainly as a consumer they are welcome to spend their money where they wish, but if they truly would indeed stop booking Viking, and their numbers are as large as implied, then perhaps there will indeed be spaces opened up to those of us who have seen availability on Viking Cruises shrink rapidly this past year!  I personally say, go for it!  (Leave Viking).  More space for us!

Another aspect that people have not brought up is that this year especially, prices seem to keep going up.  I have been keeping track of prices the past year for several Viking Ocean cruises, even after booking.  We booked early at what we though a good price. Those same cruises this year (same date/same itinerary) are now several thousand dollars more.  So by booking early we did indeed have an opportunity cost at low interest rates, but that was more than offset by the not having to pay the large price increases, as well as getting the specific cabin we wanted.  First come, first choice, least price.

Of course, a declining demand could always lead to lower prices in the future too - but for now this seems to be the way the game is being played.  Just some thoughts.  Much like investing, you need to understand the supply and demand.

• Like 1

CCWine you are spot on.  It is purely supply and demand.  We held out waiting for a price drop on the August 31 London/LA World Cruise but not to be.  Did final pay 6 months out and so far no price drops.  Viking has an aggressive program of new builds and just keeps on filling them (or nearly so).  We love it.  Viking suits us perfectly at this time and we plan to pay them whenever they require for as long as we are able.  Had my fill of mass market lines and kiddies.🍸 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

CCWine you are spot on.  It is purely supply and demand.  We held out waiting for a price drop on the August 31 London/LA World Cruise but not to be.  Did final pay 6 months out and so far no price drops.  Viking has an aggressive program of new builds and just keeps on filling them (or nearly so).  We love it.  Viking suits us perfectly at this time and we plan to pay them whenever they require for as long as we are able.  Had my fill of mass market lines and kiddies.🍸 

I just did final payment on my Med Odyssey cruise.  Was pricey with biz airfare.  Twice what we paid for a NCL cruise.  I would do another Viking cruise.  Just not sure where or when.  Might go back to just flying somewhere for a week.  Would pick a Penthouse Veranda instead of the DV2 cabin I chose.  Just like the layout better.

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

I just did final payment on my Med Odyssey cruise.  Was pricey with biz airfare.  Twice what we paid for a NCL cruise.  I would do another Viking cruise.  Just not sure where or when.  Might go back to just flying somewhere for a week.  Would pick a Penthouse Veranda instead of the DV2 cabin I chose.  Just like the layout better.

Gotta admit, my wife loves the Penthouse Veranda cabin.  Great layout.  Smaller bathroom than the lowest fare cabins on Siilversea's Silver Spirit & Silver Muse but fine for us.

A question about this one-year policy: once you've paid your full fare, are you then ineligible for any adjustments if the price of the cruise drops?  I'm going to assume the answer is yes.  But then again, does Viking honour any drops in prices after you book, even if you haven't paid in full?

9 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

A question about this one-year policy: once you've paid your full fare, are you then ineligible for any adjustments if the price of the cruise drops?  I'm going to assume the answer is yes.  But then again, does Viking honour any drops in prices after you book, even if you haven't paid in full?

I can only respond with our personal experience, but we had a cruise already booked and did not have the final payment made yet.  They then had a flash sale and the price dropped quite a bit.  In order to get that new price, we had to "cancel" the original room reservation and pay the $100 pp.  Then the room was released to inventory.  We could then "rebuy" the cruise at the new price and hopefully the room we had would be available.  In our case it wasn't so we got a very similar room.  Since the sale price savings was quite a bit more than $100, it was well worth it!

We are booked on the Sea in October. One week after we paid in full Viking had a free airfare sale. We inquired whether Viking would be willing to extend some OBC, the response was that they do not. It was not a big enough difference so we just moved on. I don’t know if we could have done what CCWinelover did in canceling and rebooking, but we would have asked if the difference in dollar amount looked like that! 

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

No, Viking does not honor drops in prices after booking.  I have direct experience here.