Rain Rain Go Away :(

fozzy1975

Well...its finally going to happen. Out of all the cruises I have taken I have NEVER had a rainy day until NOW! We leave to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday on the Liberty for a quick 3 night out of Port Canaveral this Thursday to the Bahamas. I was hoping the forecast would change, but its only getting worse. I mean 100% chance of rain you cant get worse than that! Its suppose to rain in the Bahamas too! There is a cold front coming in bringing in all the rain. Being from Florida I know it can rain for 10 minutes and not rain again but I have a feeling looking at the hourly this is different! I am not able to see it the sea day on Sat will be rain, but at this rate I am sure it will lol!! We are not inside people! We love to lounge in the sun all day and was looking forward on doing that :(  Not into cooking demos, bingo or activities like that. Looks like we will have good use of cheers lol! I am also concerned with the weather that they will delay boarding! Being such a short trip i want all the time i can get!! As you can see, I am a worry wort!! If you have had a rainy day on a cruise please let me know what you did!! I keep telling myself a rainy day on a cruise ship is better that a rainy day at work!!! Does not make me feel any better lol!!

32 minutes ago, fozzy1975 said:

Well...its finally going to happen. Out of all the cruises I have taken I have NEVER had a rainy day until NOW! We leave to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday on the Liberty for a quick 3 night out of Port Canaveral this Thursday to the Bahamas. I was hoping the forecast would change, but its only getting worse. I mean 100% chance of rain you cant get worse than that! Its suppose to rain in the Bahamas too! There is a cold front coming in bringing in all the rain. Being from Florida I know it can rain for 10 minutes and not rain again but I have a feeling looking at the hourly this is different! I am not able to see it the sea day on Sat will be rain, but at this rate I am sure it will lol!! We are not inside people! We love to lounge in the sun all day and was looking forward on doing that 😞 Not into cooking demos, bingo or activities like that. Looks like we will have good use of cheers lol! I am also concerned with the weather that they will delay boarding! Being such a short trip i want all the time i can get!! As you can see, I am a worry wort!! If you have had a rainy day on a cruise please let me know what you did!! I keep telling myself a rainy day on a cruise ship is better that a rainy day at work!!! Does not make me feel any better lol!!

The saying "life is what you make of it" is apropos. My husband and I took a cruise that went to the Bahamas and it was raining, it was the first and only time we've ever been to the Bahamas. Instead of letting it get us down, we strapped on our vibram shoes (water shoes basically), threw on rain parkas and took the local bus to a hotel beach and bought a day pass. All the while it was raining and we we're virtually alone on the beach. We had great fun and the rain ended up clearing up. Once it cleared up more and more people showed up but due to the travel time it took them because they waited for the rain to clear first, we had what felt like a private beach almost all day. That was in 2013 (approx) and it is one of our fondest memories. 

Don't fret, have a blast! It's always better than sitting at home/work!! 😁

Edited by NovCruisin
  • Like 2

Not really sure what you want us to say.  You don't want to be indoors....so take an umbrella?  Lol    You are from Florida and know how this goes.  (as you stated)    I would just consider myself lucky that it your first time dealing with weather issues on a cruise.  Try to have a good time  anyway.  

Chances are it will rain once every day between 4 and 6 PM, just like FL weather can be.  FL and the Bahamas are not that far apart, and it will be the same "cold front" that passes through both areas.

My local SWFL weather reports were recently all agitating about a cold front passing through that could bring some rain and "cooler" temperatures.   Long time locals bundled up and carried umbrellas, while I, as a recent re-location from NY, walked around in shorts and tee.

Keep in mind this is a La Nina year. We will probably have a very wet winter with rainy days like we had earlier this week (seven inches over two days of constant rain).

For anyone reading this, this translates out to rainy days for many of the ports in the Gulf of Mexico, the Bahamas, and the northern Caribbean as the jet stream dips to the south and brings the fronts down with it.

I thought our forecaster this morning said Wednesday through early Friday was rain on the gulf coast and clearing up for the weekend.  So you might be ok.   I wouldn't start worrying about it until Thursday night - see an updated forecast.

There are places on deck that have large overhangs.  I would till be on my lounge chair watching the rain, reading my book, and dozing under one of those overhangs.  Plenty of quiet inside places to read, play cards, etc. too.

It wouldn't be ideal to have 3 days of rain on a 3-day cruise.  But it would still be 3 good days for me!

I cruised in January one year to the Bahamas- it was VERY unseasonably cold for FLA and Bahamas... it was sunny on embarkation day but only 60 degrees. The 3 remaining days were combinations of cloudy or out and out rain,  and the daytime high never went above 50 degrees! Needless to say not a lot of pool time that cruise!

This was before Cheers, but as someone else said, our S&S cards got quite a workout between shopping and drinking! We did go ashore in both Freeport and Nassau, but while Nassau was overcast & drizzly (did I mention COLD???) Freeport it was drizzling at first then a steady medium hard rain the rest of the day. We were outfitted with rain gear and umbrellas but it made it a pretty dreary day so we went back to the ship early and continued to exercise that S&S card!

Silly us- my girlfriends and I figured that it HAD to be warmer when we got home in Pt Canaveral- we froze in our shorts, sandals and light tops waiting for our ride to arrive! It was only 45 degrees and we had to wait over an hour because my hubby who was picking us up got stuck on I4 because of an accident. We kept pulling clothes out of our suitcases to layer up!!!

We did a 3 day cruise on Victory this past Memorial Day weekend, and with the exception of Friday afternoon, which was embarkation day, it basically rained for the entire cruise. We still had a great time, lots of activities were going on inside the ship during the day that we usually don’t attend.  We also made good use of the Cheers program, which is no different than other cruises, except we did all our drinking inside. 

We  were on the Paradise to Cuba and went up on top to go under the bridge. There were two ladies up there and we talked back and forth until we passed under the bridge.  We ran into them again on one of our excursions and talked some more.  On our sea day coming back, it was pouring down rain so we decided to just go up on the Lido deck for a drink.  The two ladies and their husbands were sitting there, saw us and invited us to join them.  We spent the rest of the day just sitting there talking and learning about each other.  We had just as much fun doing that as we would have had it not been raining.