10,000+ Passenger Ship--Recent Comment by Capt. Johnny

lilalila

Not sure if this is old news on this board; however, I thought I'd share (as it was new to me).

During the Q&A session with Capt. Johnny (and staff) on the December 9-16, 2018 Harmony sailing  he made a quick (but yet not cryptic) comment that RCI is working on a 10,000+ passenger ship.  The way he said it indicated (at least to me) that it was in its infancy.  At the time I wanted to ask if that number included crew but time ran out. 

Interestingly, prior to Capt. Johnny's comments his Hotel Director commented that he was recently at a leadership conference and that RCI has some really big/exciting things in the works but wouldn't expand on his comment.

Thoughts(?)/Comments(?) 

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think they have reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of efficiencies of scale plus the logistics don't seem to support anything bigger than Oasis class.

Carnival's new Mardi Gras Carrie's 6,000+ with 10% less tonnage.  If you ask me, the hull of Oasis could carry a lot more gross tonnage. The open areas of CP and BW aren't counted.  

And who needs a promenade. 😉

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Carnival's new Mardi Gras Carrie's 6,000+ with 10% less tonnage.  If you ask me, the hull of Oasis could carry a lot more gross tonnage. The open areas of CP and BW aren't counted.  

There will be a whole new cabin catagory created when RCI decides to fill in the BW and CP open area with cabins during some future dry dock.... BFB....Balcony facing Balcony.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, lilalila said:

Not sure if this is old news on this board; however, I thought I'd share (as it was new to me).

During the Q&A session with Capt. Johnny (and staff) on the December 9-16, 2018 Harmony sailing  he made a quick (but yet not cryptic) comment that RCI is working on a 10,000+ passenger ship.  The way he said it indicated (at least to me) that it was in its infancy.  At the time I wanted to ask if that number included crew but time ran out. 

Interestingly, prior to Capt. Johnny's comments his Hotel Director commented that he was recently at a leadership conference and that RCI has some really big/exciting things in the works but wouldn't expand on his comment.

Thoughts(?)/Comments(?) 

Never heard that one before. Just off the Symphony of the Seas were Captain Rob said RCCL had a lot of things in the works but no mention of a ship that big although he did mention, bigger was better for RCCL and the bottom line.

Irene and Miles

14 hours ago, lilalila said:

Thoughts(?)/Comments(?) 

He is a dork....very selfentitled!:classic_rolleyes:👎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Me!  One of the main selling features of RCCL for us.  

I agree with others that if you get much bigger than the Oasis class it's going to become even more of a pain to get around a ship that large.  I'm fit, and I still don't like the Oasis class for that reason (and a few others. :) )

Dan

2 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree with others that if you get much bigger than the Oasis class it's going to become even more of a pain to get around a ship that large.  I'm fit, and I still don't like the Oasis class for that reason (and a few others. 🙂 )

Dan

Never said to make it bigger. Just fill in the voids like Carnival will be doing

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Never said to make it bigger. Just fill in the voids like Carnival will be doing

Please, no!  Yuck.  :)  Note to RCCL... don't take notes from Carnival...

Oh wait, they already are...  all passengers in cabin over 21 must purchase alcohol package if one does...  or pushing the non refundable cruise fair really hard, etc.  😉

Dan

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Please, no!  Yuck.  🙂 Note to RCCL... don't take notes from Carnival...

Oh wait, they already are...  all passengers in cabin over 21 must purchase alcohol package if one does...  or pushing the non refundable cruise fair really hard, etc.  😉

Dan

Mardi Gras is getting a roller coaster.  Thsts pretty cool. 😎

38 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I agree with others that if you get much bigger than the Oasis class it's going to become even more of a pain to get around a ship that large.  I'm fit, and I still don't like the Oasis class for that reason (and a few others. 🙂 )

That is where the ship's gondola come in (on the pool deck) and magic carpet/moving sidewalk in the Super Ultimate Royal Promenade.

And for a nominal charge, Uber to take you up & down the I95 corridor on deck 2. Complimentary for Pinnacles, Suite guest & those that purchase The Edge. 🙂

Edited by HBE4

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

That is where the ship's gondola come in (on the pool deck) and magic carpet/moving sidewalk in the Super Ultimate Royal Promenade.

And for a nominal charge, Uber to take you up & down the I95 corridor on deck 2. Complimentary for Pinnacles, Suite guest & those that purchase The Edge. 🙂

Extra charge for window seats?🤔

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

We just got the Key and now we are getting the Edge?