Currently on the Edge(12/16/18) too much misinformation and craziness on this board!

kwokpot

Kwokpot, thanks for sharing all of your information & photos . It have been great.

I would love to read more comments about the bed beside the window / balcony and see more photos. We are sailing  AQ Class deck 9 port side in February 2019.

We are pulling next to Ncl's flagship (launched April, 2018) Norwegian Bliss. 

Reality check. How are OUR IV 'balconies' any different than theirs? Notice any loungers or foot stools? Height of GLASS railing? Is there REALLY more of a sense of openness and exposure to the outdoors than the IV's. I'm not so sure anymore. 

Edit:

We will be on The Allure ot Seas in February and the Anthem ot Seas in March, both times in a balcony cabin. It will give me a great chance to evaluate my feelings on the IV cabins compared to a traditional balcony cabin. 

IMG_20181219_070944318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_072714171_HDR.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:
1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

Kwokpot

Can you lean on the IV window the way the Bliss cruiser is leaning on the balcony rail?

Yes you can. I'm 5'6" and it feels natural to lean on the IV window. 

Being a 'value' cruiser is where you lost me on hysteria. Sorry... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a value cruiser but when I only cruise in a balcony +, happy to pay extra for a balcony, I want a real balcony.  I'm sure you're happy with this set up if you usually sail an inside.  And I don't want that to sound snobby, or belittling at all because it's not.  But when you claim hysteria, nope, ziltch, sorry, totally moot.

And I don’t think telling suite guests to forget about their loungers because a regular balcony on NCL doesn’t have them is particularly helpful 

Edited by Cruise Junky
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Being a 'value' cruiser is where you lost me on hysteria. Sorry... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a value cruiser but when I only cruise in a balcony +, happy to pay extra for a balcony, I want a real balcony.  I'm sure you're happy with this set up if you usually sail an inside.  And I don't want that to sound snobby, or belittling at all because it's not.  But when you claim hysteria, nope, ziltch, sorry, totally moot.

cj - not sure how his wording "... why there is all this craziness and negativity and mis information." lends itself to pointing out hysteria or being hysterical.

As far as I Am reading the title and his postings, thus far, k is addressing information being bandied around by those who have yet to sail The Edge or those who have sailed and have not, in his view, correctly or fully posted the facts as he is finding them on his sailing.

I, personally, have not found any wording yet where he points out that anyone has been or is 'hysterical' in their views or postings on which he has posted thus far.

If I Am incorrect in the interpretation on any part of his or your posting(s) on this to date, please point them out.

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 10

kwokpot and Wonderman3,

You have made some strong points (along with VTCruising) about the great vacation experience to be had on this new ship.  There is a lot of negativity on this board.  Much but not all of it from people posting their opinions (which is their right of course) that have not yet stepped foot on Edge.  I personally only value reviews (both positive and negative) from cruisers such as you who have experience on the ship. Thank you for presenting a balanced picture for us.  I can't wait to enjoy my Jan 20th Edge cruise.  I know there are some kinks in a new class of ship but that is what I knowingly signed up for nearly two years ago.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

A couple of photos of shady areas on the Resort Deck. 

IMG_20181219_092857750_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_092910745_HDR.jpg

Looks promising..is the second pic an area just past/ before the pvt cabanas?

We dont need to sit near the side of the pool and will welcome the shade wherever we can find..

Sign by stairs point up to Sunset Bar and RTGarden..nice!

Edited by hcat

At the spa enjoying a relaxing morning in the Thermal Suite. For obvious reasons I will not be taking & posting photos. I will write up my full assessment later but my basic impression is that it is a beautiful, intimate space (hence strict capacity control) but for me, neither The Edge nor the S Class Thermal Suites are the tops in business (mass market cruise lines-haven't sailed Holland). For me NCL's Breakaway Class ships (haven't sailed Breakaway is yet) tops anything Celebrity or Royal does. 

• Like 1

Rooftop Garden in the morning (12/19 @9:30am). Shade to be found if you wanted.

Unforseen Consequences - 

The proximity of the smokestacks to the Rooftop Garden has thrown soot particles onto the seating areas in the garden. They will probably have to replace with darker color fabrics. While you can wipe them clean enough to sit on the staining probably is permanent and unsightly. 

IMG_20181219_093433867_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_093453655_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_094313003_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_095743156.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

At the spa enjoying a relaxing morning in the Thermal Suite. For obvious reasons I will not be taking & posting photos. I will write up my full assessment later but my basic impression is that it is a beautiful, intimate space (hence strict capacity control) but for me, neither The Edge nor the S Class Thermal Suites are the tops in business (mass market cruise lines-haven't sailed Holland). For me NCL's Breakaway Class ships (haven't sailed Breakaway is yet) tops anything Celebrity or Royal does. 

Just to clarify I've sailed Ncl's Breakaway & Getaway along with their older Jewel. Class ships but not the newest class, Breakaway Plus which is docked beside us here in Tortola. 

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

cj - not sure how his wording "... why there is all this craziness and negativity and mis information." lends itself to pointing out hysteria or being hysterical.

As far as I Am reading the title and his postings, thus far, k is addressing information being bandied around by those who have yet to sail The Edge or those who have sailed and have not, in his view, correctly or fully posted the facts as he is finding them on his sailing.

I, personally, have not found any wording yet where he points out that anyone has been or is 'hysterical' in their views or postings on which he has posted thus far.

If I Am incorrect in the interpretation on any part of his or your posting(s) on this to date, please point them out.

Thank you and bon voyage

The word Hysterical was used on another thread by another individual and the word Hysteria by the op on the thread below this one and we have now added “craziness”. Really quite silly when on the whole people are just giving opinions and much of the feedback on Eden, IV balconies, and shade has actually come from individuals who have already cruised on Edge. While I understand there is a level of individuals wishing to  defend the new ship I believe that people have a right to opinions without such language being used, and those who have actually cruised on the ship being told they “don’t know what they are talking about”. 

Edited by yorky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We are pulling next to Ncl's flagship (launched April, 2018) Norwegian Bliss. 

Reality check. How are OUR IV 'balconies' any different than theirs? Notice any loungers or foot stools? Height of GLASS railing? Is there REALLY more of a sense of openness and exposure to the outdoors than the IV's. I'm not so sure anymore. 

Edit:

We will be on The Allure ot Seas in February and the Anthem ot Seas in March, both times in a balcony cabin. It will give me a great chance to evaluate my feelings on the IV cabins compared to a traditional balcony cabin. 

IMG_20181219_070944318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181219_072714171_HDR.jpg

I feel qualified to speak to this, as I sailed in a balcony cabin on Bliss in October and an IV cabin on Edge in December. To me, there is no comparison. Bliss has balconies. Edge has oceanview cabins with windows that open. You step outdoors on Bliss. You do not in an IV cabin on Edge. I'm a pretty loyal Celebrity cruiser, but Bliss is a better ship than Edge, in my humble opinion. We're booked in an S1 for a week on Edge in April for a week in the Haven on Bliss in May -- looking forward to comparing them again. I never expected to like Bliss more (it was our first NCL cruise), but I did. We'll see if our experiences this spring change that opinion.

Edited by ohhbother
typo
  • Like 1

Hi neighbor!  Not sure where "home" is but we are in Media, Delaware County.  Really enjoying your live review.  I was starting to worry after reading so much negativity about the Edge.  Dumb question I haven't seen answered yet but does the tv remote have the ability to set a sleep timer?  Hubby has to fall asleep with the tv on.  

Also is the hair dryer still the type where you have to hold the button in?  I would love for once to not have to take up space in my suitcase bringing mine.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!  We will be doing the same itinerary in April in a S1 Suite.  Wanda

• Like 1

Kwokpot love the photos! Any chance you could take some of the main dining rooms and food? Most food photos I can find are from aqua, suite, and specialty dining area. It would be nice to see more photos of complementary dining for us “regular” folks lol

Also what did you think of your spa service? I’m interested in those warming loungers. Also any idea if anyone can use those hanging chairs in the spa or is that where spa users sit and wait?

1 hour ago, spammie said:

Hi neighbor!  Not sure where "home" is but we are in Media, Delaware County.  Really enjoying your live review.  I was starting to worry after reading so much negativity about the Edge.  Dumb question I haven't seen answered yet but does the tv remote have the ability to set a sleep timer?  Hubby has to fall asleep with the tv on.  

Also is the hair dryer still the type where you have to hold the button in?  I would love for once to not have to take up space in my suitcase bringing mine.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!  We will be doing the same itinerary in April in a S1 Suite.  Wanda

I live right in Center City (OK, for True Philadelphians I live right on the border of Center City /South Philly). 

The hairdryer indeed needs the button to be pressed in order to work. Two speeds seems good airflow but probably not as powerful as a professional one. 

With regard to the TV yes there is a sleep timer up to 180 minutes. 

IMG_20181219_144321965.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always appreciate anyone who takes the time from their day or vacation to respond, post photos, share experiences and answer questions - so THANK YOU! Oftentimes, responses and reviews on this board are laced with negative undertones... and that's just the nature of people. Two persons can share the exact same cruise and have completely different opinions as to the good and bad. I for one, tend to enjoy the "positive" voice of your recap, and again... thank you for the info and insight!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your review.   It is a breath of fresh air.

Quick question -  Can you identify where the designated  smoking area is now located.   I read earlier that the balcony by the pool has been moved due to an air intake air vent close by.   I'm not clear where it has been moved to.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Not on facebook so I am not sure what that mentality is,,,,,

Lo tech...older person here!

Didn't want to start a new thread so I though i would throw this here, I thought all the Edge cruises were sold out but today I received an email giving wife and I a free cruise on the Edge Jan. 13, really surprised because I don't gamble that much on cruise ships due to bad odds. 

• Like 3