The End of Coffee Cards???

Fletch1

Thanks for your quick reply. I now can understand what is happening. I have a coffee card left over from our last cruise on the Sea Princess,  so we will return all the drink in our refrig except for the gin and tonic and that will leave us a new coffee card to be used with our old one which will probably be enough coffees for the cruise.

Jennie

4 minutes ago, Aussie Gal said:

Thanks for your quick reply. I now can understand what is happening. I have a coffee card left over from our last cruise on the Sea Princess,  so we will return all the drink in our refrig except for the gin and tonic and that will leave us a new coffee card to be used with our old one which will probably be enough coffees for the cruise.

Jennie

You have to return/trade all the drinks not part of them.

18 hours ago, fishywood said:

Perhaps the sharing was why you were attempted to be charged. The fifteen punches have no restrictions but the unlimited brewed coffee/premium teas are only for the person whose name the coffee package was purchased under. I witnessed a Piazza drink server on Golden Princess this summer quite severely caution someone who handed them their cruise card and said "bring me one premium coffee and my companion a tea" that he would not do that unless they paid for the tea. Since you admit to pulling this off every morning of a two week cruise likely a supervisor noticed and warned the baristas about you.

Discretion is the answer in the future. 

4 hours ago, Funkat said:

With the old system you could see how many punches remaining before you handed them the coffee card and see how many times they punched it. I never had to hand them my cruise card, only the coffee card so there was no chance of an additional charge.

If you monitor your shipboard account with Princess@Sea on your phone the charge would have appeared there virtually simultaneous with their swiping of your cruise card. So should they charge you for your coffee when you still had punches left you could have them remove it before you step away from the counter faster than it takes for your coffee to cool down to sipping temperature.

...and it wasn't my intent at all to chastise anyone for obtaining both a specialty-punch coffee and an unlimited-brewed cup at the same time. Just using my observation from earlier this year on Golden Princess to possible rationalize the overcharges that were reported. Honestly if those other passengers I was sitting next to in the Piazza weren't giving the waiter such a hard time as to why there was no totally complimentary coffee or tea at the IC for the members of their party with no coffee card or PBP I would have explained to them how the system could be worked in their favor with just one plan as above. 

Edited by fishywood

5 hours ago, Funkat said:

With the old system you could see how many punches remaining before you handed them the coffee card and see how many times they punched it. I never had to hand them my cruise card, only the coffee card so there was no chance of an additional charge.

Makes sense.  Thanks

So we sail in March and have always bought 1 card for getting Mochas and fun coffee drinks from how it reads we will still be able to use one card for the premium coffee BUT will not and have mot doht the fresh brewed or tea's. I am reading this right correct? 

• Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.
  •  

On 12/23/2018 at 3:44 AM, cpcanuck said:

Or better yet, order as many speciality coffees as you have punches and pass them out to others around you so they don’t go to waste! You’ll be a popular guy on that ship! 😉

This is what I would do!

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 AM, Astro Flyer said:

Yes Russell...out of the sand. ☺️  The electronic coffee program was implemented in June 2018 and others have posted the card’s limitations.

We’re reevaluating our elite minibar exchange options because we’re unlikely to have 30 specialty coffee drinks during a 7 day cruise.  Ten beers & ten sodas works better for us and to occasionally purchase a specialty coffee.  Our future cruises are on the Royal & Sky and find the buffet’s free coffee made ground coffee to be okay so don’t miss the IC’s brewed coffee.

We always keep the two beers and exchange everything else for gin and tonics.......Louise's choice of Beveridge!

On 12/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ombud said:

I traded for a bottle of white wine but was dissatisfied with the wine. 

How long does it take to load the coffee card credit on the card? I drink several cups a day so they lose money on me no matter how they do it. I want to avoid the scenario where I trade for the electronic version, be charged for a long black, and then have to discuss it with the purser's desk

I have two speciality cups a day....anymore and it can trigger my AF off. 

59 minutes ago, planb said:

So we sail in March and have always bought 1 card for getting Mochas and fun coffee drinks from how it reads we will still be able to use one card for the premium coffee BUT will not and have mot doht the fresh brewed or tea's. I am reading this right correct? 

• Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.
  •  

I can't speak for what would happen using table service because I always went to the counter to get our coffees.  But I was never questioned when ordering a fresh brewed and a specialty while using my card.  The only problem that I had was them charging my onboard account instead of using a "punch" the last couple of days.  

23 hours ago, Funkat said:

When we purchased the coffee card on our Royal TA in Sept., the "punches" were loaded onto my cruise card.  It was a 15 day cruise so buying the card made perfect sense it provided me with my specialty coffee & DH with his fresh brewed every morning. It was nice not having to keep up with another card, but I was skeptical of being charged incorrectly.  Even though the number of mornings was the same as the number of punches, each morning I had the barista confirm how many remaining "punches" I had left.  And, as it turned out, it was a good thing that I kept up with my "remaining punches". I was charged for my last 2 specialties.  It took 2 trips to Guest Services and then 6 weeks to finally see these charges refunded to my credit card.  It's really not the amount of the $$$, but just the idea that I was overcharged twice with their new system. 

What a lot of mucking around!!! And I am not surprised you were overcharged. 

1 hour ago, fishywood said:

If you monitor your shipboard account with Princess@Sea on your phone the charge would have appeared there virtually simultaneous with their swiping of your cruise card. So should they charge you for your coffee when you still had punches left you could have them remove it before you step away from the counter faster than it takes for your coffee to cool down to sipping temperature.

...and it wasn't my intent at all to chastise anyone for obtaining both a specialty-punch coffee and an unlimited-brewed cup at the same time. Just using my observation from earlier this year on Golden Princess to possible rationalize the overcharges that were reported. Honestly if those other passengers I was sitting next to in the Piazza weren't giving the waiter such a hard time as to why there was no totally complimentary coffee or tea at the IC for the members of their party with no coffee card or PBP I would have explained to them how the system could be worked in their favor with just one plan as above. 

Thanks for the tip.  I had the Princess@Sea app and called myself checking it regularly, but if the charges post that quickly I can monitor it more closely on our next cruise in January.

Thanks everyone for your replies and opinions. We have cruised a few cruise lines and Princess is by far the cheapest for speciality coffee. Not the best tasting (personal choice!!), but still very good value. And they charge only 1 punch/credit for a speciality coffee, whether it is a small or large size. 

• Like 1

Try the long black .... it's dark roast + 2 expresso shots. Stands up to the full cream.  I have 2 grandes in the morning (16 Oz × 2) & 1 mid afternoon at home. Takes 1 cup + 3 refills or 2 large to go on the ship. Then I grab a glass mug bc I don't like drinking from a paper cup 

On December 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM, donaldsc said:

If I was cruising in August and had cards w unused punches, I would order as many coffees as there were punches left on the card and not drink them.  I realize that this would be a totally useless protest but it would make me feel better.

DON

Specialty coffees come out to less than two dollars each versus five to seven at any place on land. So the idea is to make the crew (which is busting their butts to make sure everyone has a great vacation) make a bunch of drinks which will go to waste. Maybe to really feel better,  while the drinks are getting made, get 20 sandwiches and soups from the International Cafe deli counter and then just leave them piled on a table in the middle of the atrium and not eat them.  Euphoria! :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, J&KCruisers said:

Specialty coffees come out to less than two dollars each versus five to seven at any place on land. So the idea is to make the crew (which is busting their butts to make sure everyone has a great vacation) make a bunch of drinks which will go to waste. Maybe to really feel better,  while the drinks are getting made, get 20 sandwiches and soups from the International Cafe deli counter and then just leave them piled on a table in the middle of the atrium and not eat them.  Euphoria! 😞

You do realise the crew member making your coffee does not work in corporate office and made the redicuous decision in the 1st place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, J&KCruisers said:

Specialty coffees come out to less than two dollars each versus five to seven at any place on land. So the idea is to make the crew (which is busting their butts to make sure everyone has a great vacation) make a bunch of drinks which will go to waste. Maybe to really feel better,  while the drinks are getting made, get 20 sandwiches and soups from the International Cafe deli counter and then just leave them piled on a table in the middle of the atrium and not eat them.  Euphoria! 😞

There is a really big difference between your sandwiches and my coffee.  The sandwiches come for free w the cruise cost.  I have paid extra for my coffee card so the are denying me the opportunity of something that I have paid for.  I assume that you do see the difference.

DON

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

There is a really big difference between your sandwiches and my coffee.  The sandwiches come for free w the cruise cost.  I have paid extra for my coffee card so the are denying me the opportunity of something that I have paid for.  I assume that you do see the difference.

DON

You're forgetting that the sandwiches actually do cost the cruise line something. 

1 hour ago, floridalover5623 said:

You're forgetting that the sandwiches actually do cost the cruise line something. 

I puke not be surprised if Don did not actually pay for his coffee cards.  More likely a benefit or a use of non refundable OBC.

I am traveling with my husband, who will either drink straight coffee if it's "good" or a latte with extra shots and heavy cream if we're at Starbucks.  

I am strictly a "foofie" coffee drink person (vanilla lattes and such) and never drink straight coffee.

If we were to get a coffee card for this cruise, in whose name should we get it?  His, so that he can get complimentary coffee AND his lattes (if he chooses to get one), and then I can also get my foofie coffee?

1 hour ago, tensixmom said:

I am traveling with my husband, who will either drink straight coffee if it's "good" or a latte with extra shots and heavy cream if we're at Starbucks.  

I am strictly a "foofie" coffee drink person (vanilla lattes and such) and never drink straight coffee.

If we were to get a coffee card for this cruise, in whose name should we get it?  His, so that he can get complimentary coffee AND his lattes (if he chooses to get one), and then I can also get my foofie coffee?

You should probably get it in the persons name that most frequently orders the coffee.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 6:42 PM, Aussie Gal said:

That's fine. We will make sure that we use all of the cards. Not hard, especially as we each have a coffee most lunchtimes and I often have one for breakfast. With only 15 on each card, that won't be hard to do on a 14 day cruise.

Jennie

The punches are for espresso drinks. Brewed coffee is no charge and unlimited for the cruise. I don't think they have brewed coffee in the DR's nor at the buffet, but you can ask.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tensixmom said:

If you only drink "punch" drinks and your husband is the one who will be getting the fresh brewed coffee I would get the package in his name. That way there is no issue if he orders fresh brewed and foo foo coffee. If the card is in your name then only you are supposed to be able to get fresh brewed without using a "punch".

• Like 1