I’m I missing out ... ship questions

Hey all have sailed quite a few times on Royal 8 different ships and will be on 9th next month , some how have managed to have not sailed on an oasis class or larger ship , my question is I’m I missing out , and if so why , I’m planning on three to four sailing a year for the foreseeable future, so sooner or later it will happen . 

I know the dining options are more plentiful , and there are just more places to grab a cocktail . But what other reasons you you say are the reasons to seek out the larger ships 

If entertainment is important to you!  We like some..don't need "shows"..prefer good bands, but they are going by the wayside....

The sheer number of passengers and crew on the HUGE ships don't thrill us.  I can just imagine an emergency on such a behemoth.....when it happens, it won't be pretty.

• Clarea changed the title to I’m I missing out ... ship questions

For me, Oasis class ships need to be experienced at least once by any cruise enthusiast simply because they are engineering marvels. I love all the technical aspects of an operation, and the ones concerning the Oasis class ships, from the moment you walk into the terminal until your cruise is over, are absolutely fascinating and sometimes mind boggling.

I spent my week aboard the Allure in complete awe. But as much as I enjoyed it, I’m not rushing to sail on her or other Oasis ships again. For me it was more of a “did it, got the t-shirt, next” kind of experience. Nothing wrong with the ship. It was truly amazing and easily one of my most memorable cruises, but there are just too many cruise lines, ships, and itineraries out there to keep repeating the same ship and destinations. 

Edited by Tapi

46 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

Hey all have sailed quite a few times on Royal 8 different ships and will be on 9th next month , some how have managed to have not sailed on an oasis class or larger ship , my question is I’m I missing out , and if so why , I’m planning on three to four sailing a year for the foreseeable future, so sooner or later it will happen . 

I know the dining options are more plentiful , and there are just more places to grab a cocktail . But what other reasons you you say are the reasons to seek out the larger ships 

We have done almost 20 rccl cruises before doing oasis 6 weeks ago. We book suites so having suite restaurant on rccl for first time was nice, really enjoyed extra restaurants choices like 150cp and habatchi, extra entertainment like jazz club which we did most nights and aqua show. Negative was lots of children on a week that normally does not have that many. I would give it a try.

We love the Oasis class ships.  There is always something to do and we never felt crowded other than at the character parades.  The neighborhoods are lovely (Central Park is beautiful at night with the music) and so very different.  The carousel, Aqua Theater, and Broadway shows are a lot of fun.  There's nothing like walking onto the ship and seeing the Promenade 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Funbobby68 said:

Is there still trivia a few times a day , I was not aware there were other no charge food options on those ships , I figured it was just windjammer and MDR ect , just the standards 

Lots of trivia, my husband's favorite activity!  

The entertainment on the Oasis ships is such a higher caliper from the smaller ships. The Aqua Theater is amazing. And in my case I have difficulty sitting still for very long and these ships give me a lot of real estate to explore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Is there still trivia a few times a day , I was not aware there were other no charge food options on those ships , I figured it was just windjammer and MDR ect , just the standards 

FYI - I just counted up the trivia times for our cruise on the Allure next month and there are 22 in English and a couple others in other languages.  I'm not sure how that compares to a smaller ship. I hope that helps!

17 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

FYI - I just counted up the trivia times for our cruise on the Allure next month and there are 22 in English and a couple others in other languages.  I'm not sure how that compares to a smaller ship. I hope that helps!

Seems to me there is a minimum of 3 per day on the ships I have been on 

2 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Seems to me there is a minimum of 3 per day on the ships I have been on 

I just remembered that we are missing 2 days of activites in the app. In looking at a recent cruise compass I found 11 more so 33 in total.

We love how many different areas of the ship there are...so many things to see and do.  Central Park at night is so relaxing to sit outside with a drink, love the novelty of the rising tide bar, the solarium, the shops...  They are very unique and offer a variety for all ages.  On a smaller ship we tend to do the same thing or go to the same bar every night but Oasis we seemed to do something different every night because there was just so much to choose from.

I did Allure and while I thought she was beautiful, I missed the feel of other ships.  I also had done that with my ex and ex-inlaws so in hindsight wasn't sure if it was ship or company 🙂  So took now DH on Oasis and we had a great time but I still missed the Freedom class (my favorite) so going forward I'm not rushing to book one again and will likely choose against it if all else is equal in ports/departure/length.  But I definitely agree they should be experienced because everyone feels differently about them!

I wonder the same thing.  Although we've sailed RCCL many times, we've never sailed an Oasis Class ship.   We love the Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class ships.  We tried the Anthem (Quantum Class) two years ago and did not enjoy it.  In our opinion, The promenade was far too small for the amount of passengers, the three separate dining rooms were lackluster with low ceilings, no staircases, didn't feel special at all.  And we had an extremely hard time getting a drink on that ship because the bars had odd hours and when they were open there would be only one bartender for many many people.   We showed up for our North Star reservation no less than 3 times and it was cancelled each time.  I don't like the pressure of having to have reservations ahead of time for everything, that's just not the flow I want on vacation.  We thought it would be a nice ship for families and kids since there was lots to do for them but decided it wasn't for us.  

I always wanted to try Oasis class but since sailing the Anthem I am definitely gun shy.