Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

We did Alaska on Island Princess 15 or 16 years ago, and whilst we enjoyed the cruise and the short stay in 2 Princess lodges, it was overshadowed by the 7 days Rockies tour we had done prior to the cruise. If I was to mark them out of 10, the Rockies would get 10 and Alaska 7.

This time we have added on a longer Rockies tour. 11 days instead of 6. We won't bother with the Rocky Mountaineer again. Glad we did it, but once is plenty. Alaska was quite good, we are doing it again as DW has the hots for the Lumberjacks in Ketchikan.😂

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

This time we have added on a longer Rockies tour. 11 days instead of 6. We won't bother with the Rocky Mountaineer again. Glad we did it, but once is plenty. Alaska was quite good, we are doing it again as DW has the hots for the Lumberjacks in Ketchikan.😂

And who can blame her zap. Time to get to the gym💪

Avril 

• Haha 1

We did Alaska last year on Queen Elizabeth, with 3 days in Vancouver. If we go back I would like to visit the lakes at Banff as well. Vancouver was much more interesting than I expected and we saw almost all of it in 2 days. On board we had a professor  who was an expert in the wildlife who gave commentaries from the Bridge when we went through areas  of interest. It was definitely one of the best cruises we have done.

Cathy

• Like 1

I think the Rocky Mountaineer is a bit overrated. I would suggest that hiring a car gives you better options in that you can stop anytime you like. You can also drive on the Icefields Parkway which you cannot do by rail.

https://icefieldsparkway.com

Driving in Canada is very easy once you are out of the main cities.

If you just want to do the Rockies and have two weeks to spare I would suggest the following.

Fly to Calgary and spend a day or two there to get over the jet lag. Drive to Banff in the Rockies which is only about 70 miles.Then Lake Louise and onto Jasper via the Parkway. It is worth coming back down the Parkway to Lake Louise to see it from the other direction. Don’t forget to see the Chateau which is up the mountain from the township.
https://www.fairmont.com/lake-louise/

From there you can travel to Vancouver mainly following the Fraser river and the railway. It’s worth spending a few days in Vancouver. You can take the ferry to Vancouver Island where you may see whales on the crossing. Coming back to Calgary you can meander along near the US border. The Okanagan valley is a big fruit and wine growing area which you don’t expect in Canada.

http://www.okanagan.com

On the subject of car hire, be aware that they charge a supplement for pick up at the airport so take a taxi to your hotel and pick a car up from a downtown location. It also gives you time to get over your jet lag.

As an alternative, you can do the same itinerary from Vancouver and back which would enable you to add on a cruise, either before or after.

Brian 

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

But do they wear suspenders and a bra.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BrianI said:

I think the Rocky Mountaineer is a bit overrated. I would suggest that hiring a car gives you better options in that you can stop anytime you like. You can also drive on the Icefields Parkway which you cannot do by rail.

https://icefieldsparkway.com

Driving in Canada is very easy once you are out of the main cities.

If you just want to do the Rockies and have two weeks to spare I would suggest the following.

Fly to Calgary and spend a day or two there to get over the jet lag. Drive to Banff in the Rockies which is only about 70 miles.Then Lake Louise and onto Jasper via the Parkway. It is worth coming back down the Parkway to Lake Louise to see it from the other direction. Don’t forget to see the Chateau which is up the mountain from the township.
https://www.fairmont.com/lake-louise/

From there you can travel to Vancouver mainly following the Fraser river and the railway. It’s worth spending a few days in Vancouver. You can take the ferry to Vancouver Island where you may see whales on the crossing. Coming back to Calgary you can meander along near the US border. The Okanagan valley is a big fruit and wine growing area which you don’t expect in Canada.

http://www.okanagan.com

On the subject of car hire, be aware that they charge a supplement for pick up at the airport so take a taxi to your hotel and pick a car up from a downtown location. It also gives you time to get over your jet lag.

As an alternative, you can do the same itinerary from Vancouver and back which would enable you to add on a cruise, either before or after.

Brian 

You're right about the train. 

We did gold leaf and were upstairs. We thought those that were in the silver leaf carriage would have spent lots of money to look at trees for 2 days. A good experience, but only once. On the basis of once In a lifetime we did a tour that included Fairmont hotels, the original CP ones. Self drive is ok, but the driver misses a lot. This time no RM, 2 days in the Fairmont Vancouver an Alaska cruise and a longer Rockies tour, including Victoria. Will it go ahead in June?. Who knows. If not we will have loads of vouchers. Canada seem to have Covid under control.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck

4 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

This is all interesting and funny but what has it got to do with the construction of Iona? 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely nothing of course. 

The title of any thread is just a starting point for a discussion - from then on, the tread takes on a direction of its' own, a bit like a rudderless ship in uncharted waters. (See how I managed to try and find a nautical reference!) 

• Like 3

Absolutely nothing of course. 
The title of any thread is just a starting point for a discussion - from then on, the tread takes on a direction of its' own, a bit like a rudderless ship in uncharted waters. (See how I managed to try and find a nautical reference!) 

So what is the point of starting new?
Now instead of getting a nautical reference get a reference to the construction of Iona.

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

So what is the point of starting new?
Now instead of getting a nautical reference get a reference to the construction of Iona.

I see your point, but you are missing the social aspect of this forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

This is all interesting and funny but what has it got to do with the construction of Iona? 🤪

Most threads drift. A bit like the delivery date of Iona, fluid, one could say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I feel sorry for a number of people of groups on the other site. No chance of saving Face. One of the admins encouraged a lot of people to book onto the 24 October cruise as his info was the new maiden. They are about to get some bad news.

This is why I am so careful about what I say.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Funnily enough, the more we all post drivel the more new people join in🤣; in these difficult times it's providing a welcome distraction.

I have never seen this part of the forum so busy.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Somebody had to cut the trees down to be used in the building of Iona. However, I’m not a lumberjack so I’m OK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Somebody had to cut the trees down to be used in the building of Iona. However, I’m not a lumberjack so I’m OK. 

I could be proved completely wrong but I doubt there is a lot of real wood on Iona...

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

In the current situation there is very little happening to foster discussion about cruising - especially anything positive. These bizarre ramblings keep us in touch - and help some of us to retain some sanity..... I think 😜🤪

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

In the current situation there is very little happening to foster discussion about cruising - especially anything positive. These bizarre ramblings keep us in touch - and help some of us to retain some sanity..... I think [emoji12]🤪

As people want to use a thread for general chat then can I suggest one is started called “General Chat”?
This would leave other threads clear of clutter and leave information suggested by the title.

Err - have we missed where you were appointed a Moderator?

Seriously, and not wishing to sound unfriendly, the ‘gang’ currently chatting on the P&O board have, in the main, been here for years and have spent the last 6 months adjusting to the ‘No P&O cruises’ situation.  Over that time cyber friendships have built and ongoing banter grows.  You are more than welcome to join in.  

As for Iona - all stages of her build, float out and sea trials have been documented.  Next time there is new news, or pictures, you can be sure it will appear here, in short order.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

As people want to use a thread for general chat then can I suggest one is started called “General Chat”?
This would leave other threads clear of clutter and leave information suggested by the title.

You may suggest anything you like.😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 2