Drinks Package

crispy23

Just a quick question if anyone could oblige regarding the option to upgrade the beverage package. Although not really heavy drinkers is it possible to purchase the package when you get onboard? We have seen the booking form to do this but it states must be done 7 days prior to boarding.

Many thanks and we are really looking forward to visiting the Caribbean and experiencing Viking for the first time, not to mention escaping the freezing UK weather for a few days!

We purchased it on board in Feb 2017. From the Vikiing FAQ: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html

Yes. We offer complimentary house wines, beers and soft drinks with onboard lunches and dinners, plus specialty coffees and assorted hot teas are available 24 hours a day. For those who would like to upgrade and enjoy unlimited beverages, Viking offers a Silver Spirits beverage package, which covers any drinks (excluding champagne) up to $15.00, including premium wines by the glass, cocktails, all house pouring wines, beers, liquors, well drinks, mixers/long drinks and soft drinks throughout the day for a flat fee per guest. You may purchase the package prior to sailing or once you are on board.

Edited by cruzzzinma

ALSO be sure to check the math when you purchase it.  On our TA last spring, thebartender where we purchased initially charged several of us for one day too long.  Quickly resolved with the front desk but always worth checking. 

Have a great cruise!

The price of the SSBP is very reasonable and ultimately less than buying drinks if you want premium booze.  The catch, for some, is that both occupants of the room must buy it, and, it is for the entire cruise.  Our only Viking experience demonstrated the bar staff is well trained and friendly.  My only complaint was the very small selection of premium single malt scotch.  That is what I enjoy and two choices for a 23 day cruise is too few.  On the other hand, I did enjoy the selection of Cognac and Armangac which was pretty good.  I believe the Bourbon selection was slightly better but I didn’t try it.

1 hour ago, wildcat68 said:

The price of the SSBP is very reasonable and ultimately less than buying drinks if you want premium booze.  The catch, for some, is that both occupants of the room must buy it, and, it is for the entire cruise.  Our only Viking experience demonstrated the bar staff is well trained and friendly.  My only complaint was the very small selection of premium single malt scotch.  That is what I enjoy and two choices for a 23 day cruise is too few.  On the other hand, I did enjoy the selection of Cognac and Armangac which was pretty good.  I believe the Bourbon selection was slightly better but I didn’t try it.

The really high end plonk is served in Torshavn--and I saw some mighty impressive names on that list (just don't ask me to repeat any of them because it was a quick skim and I was more looking at the numbers than the letters). Or at least it was when we first sailed in 2016. And by high end, I mean triple digit high.

The price of the package is reasonable, if you drink a couple of drinks per day or want unlimited access to the premium wines -- or if you simply want the convenience.

But, if you are thinking of getting the package because you drink a lot of soda or tea or coffee, think again.  Coffee (unless you add spirits), tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7, even at the bars. There are six cans of soda in your mini-fridge (replenished daily except in V cabins) and free soda at meals. You can always ask for additional cans and take them with you when you leave--just as you can ask to have your wine glass topped off at the end of the meal and then take it with you. You can consume your cans of soda anywhere on the ship and if you like it over ice, all you have to do is ask the bartender for a glass with ice.

Viking has a very liberal BYO policy and no corkage fee in the dining rooms. They encourage connoisseurs of beer, wine, liqueurs and liquors to buy local and drink it on board. Anything you BYO can be consumed anywhere on the ship, you do not have to hide in your cabin or disguise it in a sippy cup so you won't be found out. Bartenders will happily supply whatever glasses you need. Some bartenders have been known to store your bottle for you and even serve you from your own bottle, at no charge except for any mixers.

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Viking has a very liberal BYO policy and no corkage fee in the dining rooms. They encourage connoisseurs of beer, wine, liqueurs and liquors to buy local and drink it on board. Anything you BYO can be consumed anywhere on the ship, you do not have to hide in your cabin or disguise it in a sippy cup so you won't be found out. Bartenders will happily supply whatever glasses you need. Some bartenders have been known to store your bottle for you and even serve you from your own bottle, at no charge except for any mixers.

In other words Viking treats us like adults not like under age drinkers trying to smuggle booze on board for a cruise. A very refreshing idea. Also they are not dependent upon huge bar bills to make extra profits like the mainstream cruise companies.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Hockeyump said:

Definitely is!

If you're responding to my post, I believe that this is the policy, what I'm saying is that it's a bad one.

Nice that they are so liberal about allowing pax to bring aboard their own alcohol, and even drink it publicly with no corkage.  Great policy (same as Regent.)  

But the idea that you have to buy the SSBP as soon as you board is not great, but the fact that both passengers in a cabin MUSt buy it is horrible.  I am practically a teetotaller for large stretches of time, for instance, but my husband is not.  Sounds unfair to me.

Wendy, not agreeing one way or another but virtually all lines that offer packages require both to have it AND for the duration.

Peigrine, in my opinion, very high double digit to triple digit scotch is a totally different category.  For example, Seabourn includes alchohol, but the really high end scotch isn’t included.  We really are talking about a small group who are willing and able to comfortably pay in excess of $100/shot, while a good selection of very good scotch is included.  My point is that Viking has a very limited included selection.  On my recent trip, Bowmore 15, and Glenfiddich 12, were the only single malts that were included.  Bowmore is fairy well peated and therefore a more limited group of consumers.  Both are great but two selections is not really competitive.  I’ll guess that  Seabourn and  Silversea had 8-12.  Since my SSBP was complimentary and the other options were decent Cognac I survived the “ordeal”.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

If you're responding to my post, I believe that this is the policy, what I'm saying is that it's a bad one.

Nice that they are so liberal about allowing pax to bring aboard their own alcohol, and even drink it publicly with no corkage.  Great policy (same as Regent.)  

But the idea that you have to buy the SSBP as soon as you board is not great, but the fact that both passengers in a cabin MUSt buy it is horrible.  I am practically a teetotaller for large stretches of time, for instance, but my husband is not.  Sounds unfair to me.

Of the more inclusive cruise lines (as opposed to the true all inclusive ones) the only one that we’ve come across that both allows just one pax in a cabin to upgrade and also charges for only the days remaining on the cruise, is Azamara.

But the idea that you have to buy the SSBP as soon as you board is not great, but the fact that both passengers in a cabin MUSt buy it is horrible.  I am practically a teetotaller for large stretches of time, for instance, but my husband is not.  Sounds unfair to m

On a 10 day cruise, $18pp/day is cheap compared to what you are spending for the cruise fare. HAL charges over $60pp/day for their equivalent drink package ( Elite Beverage Package)which is ridiculous, and they also require both cabin passengers to have the same package. The reason for having both passengers in a cabin on the same drink package is so that you do not order or share drinks for the non drink package passenger in your cabin, or in other words cheating the cruise line and that to me is completely fair. Its like going to a buffet restaurant and paying for one person but sharing you plates with someone not paying, is that also unfair to you? 

20 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

It would be completely unworkable to have only one passenger in the cabin with the package with the exception of the underage passengers who would be flagged.

22 hours ago, terrydtx said:

On a 10 day cruise, $18pp/day is cheap compared to what you are spending for the cruise fare. HAL charges over $60pp/day for their equivalent drink package ( Elite Beverage Package)which is ridiculous, and they also require both cabin passengers to have the same package. The reason for having both passengers in a cabin on the same drink package is so that you do not order or share drinks for the non drink package passenger in your cabin, or in other words cheating the cruise line and that to me is completely fair. Its like going to a buffet restaurant and paying for one person but sharing you plates with someone not paying, is that also unfair to you? 

3 hours ago, Marykatesmom said:

It would be completely unworkable to have only one passenger in the cabin with the package with the exception of the underage passengers who would be flagged.

I believe Oceania does this--allow one person in a cabin to buy a beverage package without demanding the same from their partner.  This is adult, and sensible.  Many people these days don't drink at all, and so are not about to start sharing drinks with their partners. And yes, $18pp/day is relatively cheap; I can't remember what Oceania charged but it was not cheap.

And as for the buffet analogy, that's just insulting.  No one was talking about sharing drinks, but about a non-drinking partner.

I believe Oceania does this--allow one person in a cabin to buy a beverage package without demanding the same from their partner.  This is adult, and sensible.  Many people these days don't drink at all, and so are not about to start sharing drinks with their partners. And yes, $18pp/day is relatively cheap; I can't remember what Oceania charged but it was not cheap.

And as for the buffet analogy, that's just insulting.  No one was talking about sharing drinks, but about a non-drinking partner.

Does Oceania have key cards?   Does Oceania allow you to bring alcohol on board? Does Oceania deliver at no extra cost wine and drinks to your room if you’re on the package? Does Oceana stock some of the cabins with beer and wine? 

Can you name a buffet restaurant that allows a non-eating patron in for free to sit with an eating  patron?  

There are several Michelin Star restaurants that require the entire table to order the tasting menu and not just one guest.  It is their establishment and I certainly wouldn’t embarrass myself by stomping my foot and pitching a hissy fit.  My DH is an extremely picky eater and would never agreed to that so it’s our choice to either not go, I get him a burger before dinner and I eat anything he won’t, or I don’t get the tasting menu.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marykatesmom said:

Does Oceania have key cards?   Does Oceania allow you to bring alcohol on board? Does Oceania deliver at no extra cost wine and drinks to your room if you’re on the package? Does Oceana stock some of the cabins with beer and wine? 

Can you name a buffet restaurant that allows a non-eating patron in for free to sit with an eating  patron?  

There are several Michelin Star restaurants that require the entire table to order the tasting menu and not just one guest.  It is their establishment and I certainly wouldn’t embarrass myself by stomping my foot and pitching a hissy fit.  My DH is an extremely picky eater and would never agreed to that so it’s our choice to either not go, I get him a burger before dinner and I eat anything he won’t, or I don’t get the tasting menu.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of Oceania, I just mentioned them because they allow one person of a couple to get a drinks package.)

Yes, Oceania has key cards and makes you show it and sign a chit whenever you go into a bar for a drink (which I hate--yeah on Viking for improving that). Yes,  Oceania allow you to bring alcohol on board--unlimited, but they charge a high corkage fee for bringing it to a dining room.  Their package includes room service drinks. Oceania does not stock any room with alcohol, at least maybe the really big suites, don't know.

I don't go to all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants.  Frankly didn't know they still existed.  I've had tasting menus, but never where it's obligatory, except for a nice little (non-MIchelin*) bistro in Paris where everyone had to eat what the cook served that night.

17 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I am sorry you found my comments insulting, you may not be the one sharing drinks if the policy was different but you know there are others who always try to get around the rules and would share drinks. The policy is fair and other than perhaps Oceania, is almost universal in the cruise industry. 

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I am sorry you found my comments insulting, you may not be the one sharing drinks if the policy was different but you know there are others who always try to get around the rules and would share drinks. The policy is fair and other than perhaps Oceania, is almost universal in the cruise industry. 

Except for the luxury lines where alcohol is included.  Seabourn, Silversea, Regent.

12 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

(Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of Oceania, I just mentioned them because they allow one person of a couple to get a drinks package.)

Yes, Oceania has key cards and makes you show it and sign a chit whenever you go into a bar for a drink (which I hate--yeah on Viking for improving that). Yes,  Oceania allow you to bring alcohol on board--unlimited, but they charge a high corkage fee for bringing it to a dining room.  Their package includes room service drinks. Oceania does not stock any room with alcohol, at least maybe the really big suites, don't know.

I don't go to all-you-can-eat buffet restaurants.  Frankly didn't know they still existed.  I've had tasting menus, but never where it's obligatory, except for a nice little (non-MIchelin*) bistro in Paris where everyone had to eat what the cook served that night.

I never said I went to buffet restaurants either.  It isn't unusual for either buffet restaurants or some Michael Star level restaurants (which I do enjoy) to require the entire table to participate.  This is similar to Viking's policy of requiring everyone in the cabin to participate.

Viking does not use key cards like Oceania.  They only use your room number making distinguishing who is or isn't on the drink impossible at the POS.  They would have to add the extra step of checking who is ordering the drink.  At times, the bars are quite crowded making that almost unworkable.    

• Like 1