Chef's Table - Ever Not Been Selected

CruiseNut24

4 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Converse with the rollcall for your cruise. There maybe a single who would go or someone like me that would go anytime as the one time my wife went, she hardly ate anything. (Very picky eater) 

I want to be careful not to hijack this thread or diminish the spirit of it. It’s still early yet as I don’t sail until October but I find the people in roll call to be the quiet types to the point of standoffish. So far I’ve been unsuccessful in engaging in conversation. As time goes by, I’m hoping it will improve. 

Glenn

We've made the cut three times out of the four that we signed up. One of the times, we did not find out until many days into the cruise. It was a partial Panama Canal cruise. Another time, on an Alaskan cruise, we made the first chef's table. When we went to the meeting, we were told they were going to have a second one. They advertised it in the Patter the next day. By the time some people we met tried to sign up, though, the second one was full.

I went once solo but only because DH got a sinus infection. I offered to give up my slot if they had a couple waiting, but the person I spoke with said it was fine to go alone. Fortunately, I knew two couples from meeting them on the ship earlier.

5 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Wow! Thank you for the info. Another thing for my to do list!

Glenn

We did not get the cookbook this past November when we did the Chef's Table.  Always got it before but not this time.

Edited by suzyed

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

By no means is it a requirement, but you would be well served to attempt to locate a dining partner, if you are sailing solo. 

Don’t let the above scare you off. I have done the chef’s table at least 4 times and always alone. No one has ever even mentioned finding a dining partner to me. In fact sometimes I think being alone makes it easier if they have a lot of people signing up because they will squeeze one person in where they couldn’t do it for two.  I also have a shellfish allergy and it has always been accommodated. 

13 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Its a must do at least once!! Approx $100 PP.

Royal/Regal/Majestic a tad more at $115 pp. (called the Chefs Table Luminaire on those ships)

One of the best meals I ever had. Well worth the money.

Photos taken on the Royal Princess last year

Will be doing it again

Chef's Table_3444 - Copy

Chef's Table_3467 - Copy

Howard

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

By no means is it a requirement, but you would be well served to attempt to locate a dining partner, if you are sailing solo. 

Having travelled solo most of my trips I would respectfully disagree. I don’t believe having a dining partner improves your chances.  I had no difficulty as a solo; I was warmly welcomed at the table and enjoyed myself immensely! I’m hoping to do it again on my next cruise.

We signed up for it on 2 cruises after reading about it on CC. The first time it was as a group of 3 as my BIL was traveling with us, the 2nd time we were a group of 4. Being single, elite or whatever has no bearing on being invited, it has to do with order of sign up. The first time we were on an Alaska cruise and went directly to the Concierge desk, they had to scramble to start a sign up list. We were first on the list and they warned us it may not happen if they did not have enough participants. We received a personal written invitation in our cabin 3 days later after it was advertised in the Patter. Our last cruise was in the Med and same scenario except we were told to call the dine line.

The key is to sign up immediately upon boarding! Fabulous meal both times, they make you feel special!

Yes and no.  We were on the Regal for Christmas and New Year’s this year. We had to go to Sabatini’s to sign up and were there about 1:30 upon embarkation of our first leg; unfortunately, it was too late for the first week. I’m assuming some people who were on the previous week and were staying on had signed up earlier. However, we were at that time able to sign up our party of 5 for the second week of our cruise. In fact, we were the first ones to sign up. It was an incredible experience, one that we will not forget. 

B98EC8D8-D72E-4A41-A5C6-22AFCC524778.jpeg

025ACCCC-01B8-4142-80B4-3ED436E4114C.jpeg

BA134E78-E314-427A-A462-A5123A7B1F95.jpeg

E8AB9991-31EC-4BBE-AE51-FB8322BC6075.jpeg

F58F4502-0346-4B11-909F-8B5AFBAE1677.jpeg

9FD0354B-A511-4748-8134-0EBBF7F18600.jpeg

4E21AB9F-371F-4DDC-B399-3B6D95BC977E.jpeg

Edited by h-sar

I've requested the Chef's Table once on a Crown Princess California Coastal Cruise, and we were included.  

Interestingly, since somebody mentioned that they were invited after another party cancelled, in our case there was a party of two who had to cancel because of illness.  So, there were only 10 in our group.

In September we are taking our first cruise on the Royal Princess.  I am looking forward to trying the Winemaker's Dinner.

17 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:

Tried to sign up on last 2 cruises and didn't make it.  We went to SHARE instead and loved it.

Cheers

Ty, in my opinion you had a better meals at SHARE.  Having said that, there are some neat things about the Chef's Table--I learned so much during the galley tour.  It's one of those things that if you've never tried it, and you have the slightest interest, you should go for it and see what it's all about.

18 hours ago, Grburkart said:

Wow! Thank you for the info. Another thing for my to do list!

Glenn

Glenn , if you can't find a partner, go ahead and sign up as a single.  There is absolutely no downside.  In our group we had two parties of three.  Sometimes, odd-numbered parties work out, nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 10:23 PM, neverbeenhere said:

I have never heard of the Table as something for which you are accepted or rejected. Now, you can be dumped from an early signup because certain people aboard want to go, but that is not being rejected. Brad Pitt wanted to go, so you don’t get to go. 

Never been on Princess, yet so I don't know.  On Carnival I request the Chef's Table as soon as I book but I don't know if Princess does that.

Edited by I Luv Crusin

1 hour ago, Geoffa30 said:

To those that have done Chef’s Tsble multiple times, has the menu been unique like the description posted above suggests or is effectively the same / a variation on a theme?

We have found that they have 3 different menus that they rotate.

All 3 are amazing. The choice is up to the MD and Executive Chef.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:27 PM, candy4040 said:

Really enjoyed the Chef's Table.  Be sure you have closed toed shoes otherwise they won't let you do the kitchen tour.  Be prepared to be amazed.  

I read that but there was a woman in our group with sandals on.  I was surprised.  

We tried it once.... and were turned down....

however we tried to get a reservation for 6, one could not eat shrimp, one cannot eat chocolate or red wine.....

maybe it would be easier with just the wife and I as we can eat anything 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:49 AM, Geoffa30 said:

To those that have done Chef’s Tsble multiple times, has the menu been unique like the description posted above suggests or is effectively the same / a variation on a theme?

We have done it twice, once in Alaska and once in the Med. They were completely different menus. I think it depends on the region you are cruising and the Chef.

Done several, very much enjoy it.  We were not able to once when the table was filled by a large party on a b2b who weren't able to attend on leg 1.  One time we bailed out due to a large group of drunk people who were late and obnoxious, plus the M'd allowed those with open toed shoes.  We heard from the sober attendees that it was not a good experience.  We figured the group must have been someone's friends.  They did schedule a make up session that was wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Crown Princess.  On the first day, we asked our dining room Maitre'D about the Chef's table  for a party of 6 persons.  An assistant was sent to our dining table and took our request.

When he didn't get back to us, I called the DINE line to follow up.  I was told we would hear back "shortly" about our request and that the first Chef's Table was full.

The next day, I received a letter in the cabin from the Maitre'D stating that they were unable to accommodate us and we would be contacted if there were any cancellations.  I was very surprised that they would not add another Chef's Table presentation for a group of six.

Mike in Ohio

3 minutes ago, Bru92 said:

We just got off the Crown Princess.  On the first day, we asked our dining room Maitre'D about the Chef's table  for a party of 6 persons.  An assistant was sent to our dining table and took our request.

When he didn't get back to us, I called the DINE line to follow up.  I was told we would hear back "shortly" about our request and that the first Chef's Table was full.

The next day, I received a letter in the cabin from the Maitre'D stating that they were unable to accommodate us and we would be contacted if there were any cancellations.  I was very surprised that they would not add another Chef's Table presentation for a group of six.

Mike in Ohio

I am surprised you did not get in.

The table is for 12. They don't usually do smaller ones.

Too bad they didn't try to find another 6 for a second CT.

Sorry you didn't make it.

Keep trying. It’s an amazing experience. 

Hint: skip lunch!

As the participation threshold is 12, I expect anything less is below their profit threshold. 

It’s funny how many in the group always seem to ask one another, “how’d you find about this?” Kind of a constant murmur. One participant in our last CT asked the MD why it isn’t better publicized. 

Paraphrasing  his answer, “we like to keep it exclusive”.