The Porch ?

justcrusn

Somehow, after many, many celebrity cruises we have yet to eat at the porch.

Its almost a bucket list challenge now to fit that in on our next cruise.

Please help me with a few questions.

1. Is it open on embarkation?

2. Is it primarily lunch or dinner or either?

3. What is the cost, including the “seafood tower” (because why would you not)?

We have a specialty dining package that works out to about $26.50 each dinner so i am trying to decide if I should use that or not.

Thanks!

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/the-porch

Menu above.

When we sailed it was open for lunch at embarkation  (we had the UDP on that sailing so it was maybe 2 yrs ago ) --however that may have changed.  The tower is extra...

We had great lunches and dinners there... as it was open for lunch and dinner. That has likely changed too.

Service was good-- However with the revolution etc am not certain if it is staying, what the hours are etc. 

Wish I could be more help. Perhaps someone who has sailed a S class recently--maybe in one of their reviews mentions it? Worth a forum search. 

Here is one thread from a forum search

Edited by Fogfog

Can’t answer all your questions but The Porch was a real highlight of our Reflection cruise. 

The seafood tower is for two, I don’t think there was any extra cost for it (but hopefully someone else can confirm as we had speciality dining as part of our room package). We only visited at lunchtime. We loved the menu, tasty but light. 

The ambience reminded us of a Mediterranean cafe, we ordered Sangria with our meals there....On sea days you can tell on Reflection that there are more guests on board than the other S class ships so it was really nice to slip into The Porch and avoid Oceanview.

Hope you enjoy!

We dined there for lunch on several crises.  We were in a Royal Suite so no charge but I don't remember the seafood tower being an extra charge above the $30 pp cover. The sea food tower is cold sea food, not hot, which surprised us the 1st time.  Lunch and dinner menu's are the same but they do have different menu's depending on where the ship is sailing.  We were looking forward to lobster rolls on our last cruise in the Caribbean but the server told us they had not switched menus yet so they were not available.

We dined there several times on the Silhouette last month. (We has the unlimited speciality dining with our cabin category)  It is our favorite place for lunch.  The setting is perfect.  The cover charge is $30 for lunch or dinner and I have never seen it full.  The seafood tower is included in the cover charge.  

My favorites are the lobster roll and Mahi Mahi tacos. My wife’s favorite is the avocado salad.

The  Porch is currently only available on the Silhouette or Reflection.

I am surprised that the Seafood tower is now included. It used to be a substantial upcharge over the cost to dine several years back. 

Good to know because it then makes the cover charge seem more reasonable.

We will definitely dine there again

Edited by Fogfog

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

We dined there several times on the Silhouette last month. (We has the unlimited speciality dining with our cabin category)  It is our favorite place for lunch.  The setting is perfect.  The cover charge is $30 for lunch or dinner and I have never seen it full.  The seafood tower is included in the cover charge.  

My favorites are the lobster roll and Mahi Mahi tacos. My wife’s favorite is the avocado salad.

The  Porch is currently only available on the Silhouette or Reflection.

The Porch is my favorite Celebrity restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, matj1986 said:

Going on Reflection next month and we were planning to go to the lawn club grill, is this different to the porch? 

Yes, they are located close to one another, but they are two different restaurants with two different styles of menu.  They are both great.  Be sure to try them out!

10 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Yes, they are located close to one another, but they are two different restaurants with two different styles of menu.  They are both great.  Be sure to try them out!

Thanks, does the porch fall into the speciality restaurant category that you can pre book or just turn on when on board?  We are planning the lawn club grill, it sounds great!

2 hours ago, matj1986 said:

Thanks, does the porch fall into the speciality restaurant category that you can pre book or just turn on when on board?  We are planning the lawn club grill, it sounds great!

15 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I always feel that $30 each is far too much and that is why it is always empty other than those in a RS and above. It is nice but not $60 nice in our opinion. Pitch it at $10 to $15 and we would use it.

The lawn grill is great .  our favorite specialty restaurant  We typically dine there twice per cruise.  You start off with a salad bar then you can have a thin crust pizza, made your way.  The main course is a true barbecue including skewers of meat, chicken, fish or veggies. All you can eat.   Of course all the sides you want.  For dessert you can choose a warm hot cookie with ice cream.  

The lawn grill is only on the silly or reflection.  We do not care for the porch.  With the exception of a burger, really just seafood which we don’t eat.

Edited by Cruise a holic

It is so seldom that the Porch is busy that you do not need bookings although we were turned away on the once we did try and go. They had too many orders in the queue (and the server wanted to finish at 2.30). The MC concierge was far from happy with that. They are open for you going in up to 2.30 or whatever their final time they serve to so if you do go at 2.25 they should serve you. If not go and see either guest relations or the MC concierge.

4 hours ago, matj1986 said:

You cannot make reservations for The Porch before the cruise. However you can once on board.

F0EADC31-83F3-4426-A592-6543F46F3929.jpeg

7 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I always feel that $30 each is far too much and that is why it is always empty other than those in a RS and above. It is nice but not $60 nice in our opinion. Pitch it at $10 to $15 and we would use it.

I think the Lawn Grill lunch which is just a Burger is $15 or $20 pp.

I suppose the Porch could be $20 pp with an extra charge for the seafood tower, but I am not sure  that would make much of a difference.  I think Celebrity tried that initially, which is why there is some confusion about whether there is an extra charge for the seafood tower.

I concur it is not very busy.  Mostly people with the unlimited speciality dining (RS and above) and ship’s staff. Celebrity used to offer an unlimited speciality dining package that included lunches for sale.  They may have some special packages available that include a certain number of dinners and lunches. (I seem to recall seeing this recently)

The fact that it is not busy is one of the attractions.  It is a great escape from the hassle of the Oceanview cafe or even the Luminae on a busy Sea Day.

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The lawn grill is great .  our favorite specialty restaurant  We typically dine there twice per cruise.  You start off with a salad bar then you can have a thin crust pizza, made your way.  The main course is a true barbecue including skewers of meat, chicken, fish or veggies. All you can eat.   Of course all the sides you want.  For dessert you can choose a warm hot cookie with ice cream.  

The lawn grill is only on the silly or reflection.  We do not care for the porch.  With the exception of a burger, really just seafood which we don’t eat.

Bad news.  No burger.  You can get a special burger at the Lawn Grill when it is open for lunch.

The Porch has chicken wings.  If you do not care for any time of fish or other seafood, it is not worth a visit IMO.

Agree- if no meat or pasta dishes, not for us carnivores!  If the lawn grill is open for lunch, while not as interesting as the dinner option, a good choice for a change.  We typically aren't impressed with the luminae  lunch menu  We used to like Bistro on 5, but not since it has become sushi on five.  We also did a few times, purchase the unlimited specialty restaurant package.  Occasionally they rotate the other specialty restaurants for lunch.  Honestly, too much food- so now we try to have a very light lunch and limit the snacks- still manage to gain weight each cruise!  Too many drinks!  Those I will not give up! lol

34 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I suppose the Porch could be $20 pp with an extra charge for the seafood tower, but I am not sure  that would make much of a difference.  I think Celebrity tried that initially, which is why there is some confusion about whether there is an extra charge for the seafood tower.

Bad news.  No burger.  You can get a special burger at the Lawn Grill when it is open for lunch.

The Porch has chicken wings.  If you do not care for any time of fish or other seafood, it is not worth a visit IMO.

You are correct - the Porch was originally $25 plus an additional $5 for the seafood tower, but they changed that pricing to a flat $30 fee no matter what you order. It is simpler to be sure, but it makes an already too-expensive place even more expensive if one doesn't eat seafood. It was our favorite venue when we had the Ultimate Dining Package (no longer available), but at $30 a visit when my husband doesn't eat shellfish, it's simply not worth it. They used to have a terrific burger but as you mentioned, they seem to have done away with it since the Lawn Club Grill started serving upcharge burgers at lunchtime. Without the burger, the non-seafood options are even more limited. It's too bad - it's such a beautiful space, especially during the day.

7 hours ago, Alsmez said:

You are correct - the Porch was originally $25 plus an additional $5 for the seafood tower, but they changed that pricing to a flat $30 fee no matter what you order. It is simpler to be sure, but it makes an already too-expensive place even more expensive if one doesn't eat seafood. It was our favorite venue when we had the Ultimate Dining Package (no longer available), but at $30 a visit when my husband doesn't eat shellfish, it's simply not worth it. They used to have a terrific burger but as you mentioned, they seem to have done away with it since the Lawn Club Grill started serving upcharge burgers at lunchtime. Without the burger, the non-seafood options are even more limited. It's too bad - it's such a beautiful space, especially during the day.

I did not recall the details, so thank you for the information.  I did not realize that the seafood tower was only $5 extra, initially, I thought it was more.