Is Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam convenient for embarkation?

Sailnsurf

We sail on the Nieuw Statendam in June, departing from Amsterdam for a 21 day Norwegian Fjords cruise. It seems  the Movenpick Hotel is very close to a passenger terminal. Do HAL cruises sail from this terminal? If so, is there far to walk to the ship? Sometimes it can be more convenient to use a  hotel which is further away and get a taxi right to the ship. Any guidance would be appreciated.

30 minutes ago, Sailnsurf said:

We sail on the Nieuw Statendam in June, departing from Amsterdam for a 21 day Norwegian Fjords cruise. It seems  the Movenpick Hotel is very close to a passenger terminal. Do HAL cruises sail from this terminal? If so, is there far to walk to the ship? Sometimes it can be more convenient to use a  hotel which is further away and get a taxi right to the ship. Any guidance would be appreciated.

According to the port's website, that is where ocean vessels dock.  As I recall, you can walk from the hotel to the pier.  I'm sure others will come along to verify this.  That is where my river cruise ship docked last November.  It's just east of Central Station.  

Roz

Edited by Roz

It is about a quarter mile from the entrance to the passenger terminal where the large ships dock. The terminal only has room for one large ship. When we cruised out of Amsterdam, a Celebrity ship was docked at the terminal, and our HAL ship was docked at a commercial port about 7 miles from downtown. We had to take a car service out to it. We did return to the downtown port, however. I would recommend that you check the port of Amsterdam website to confirm that your ship leaves and returns from this dock. BTW, cabs are plentiful in the city, and there are plenty of less expensive and more interesting hotels in Amsterdam close by. I would try to find a hotel closer to Dam Square. The Movenpick is kind  of isolated, except for being adjacent to the cruise port.

Edited by denton1

I stayed at the Nova Hotel in Amsterdam at the recommendation of my TA.  It's located at Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 276.  Very centrally and conveniently located and within walking distance of a lot of sights and restaurant.  It's also on a main tram line.  Technically I could have walked to the pier, but opted for a short taxi ride since I had a suitcase to lug. 

Nova is clean with a friendly staff, and breakfast is included.

Roz

I stayed at the Movenpick when I did a river cruise with Avalon.  It is a lovely hotel.  It is a 10 or 15 minute walk to the train station.  You will walk by the river cruise docks.

I also stayed in Amsterdam at the Art’otel https://www.artotels.com/amsterdam-hotel-nl-1012-tm/nldaams on the other side of the train station for a HAL cruise.

i would stay at either hotel again.

Your cruise documents will tell you where your cruise ship is docking.  If you are out of town, you might as well stay at the Movenpick or a hotel downtown anyway because there is nothing near the out of town pier.  

We stayed there in June of 2018 prior to sailing to Norway on Koningsdam. It is a nice hotel. Breakfast was included (we arrived the day prior). Luggage was picked up outside our room around 7:45 am the day of departure. We watched the 20 or 30 forty-foot semi's pull in and unload a week's worth of supplies. We also watched the K'dam arrive and turn around to dock. In the photo from our room the K'dam has just cut forward motion prior to backing into the area (lower right). Took a while.

kdam arrival.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We actually arrived a couple of days prior to allow time in Amsterdam. Mövenpick was very convenient. We jumped on the train right in front of the hotel to go into town when we visited the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. We walked into town and back several times. One thing I will say - both my wife and I were slammed with allergies upon arrival in Amsterdam in late June. It was crazy! My nose was running like a faucet (it was embarrassing). As soon as we boarded the ship and got under way everything was fine. Even the usual allergy relief (like Claritin) had no affect.

8 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

We actually arrived a couple of days prior to allow time in Amsterdam. Mövenpick was very convenient. We jumped on the train right in front of the hotel to go into town when we visited the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. We walked into town and back several times. One thing I will say - both my wife and I were slammed with allergies upon arrival in Amsterdam in late June. It was crazy! My nose was running like a faucet (it was embarrassing). As soon as we boarded the ship and got under way everything was fine. Even the usual allergy relief (like Claritin) had no affect.

Stroopwafel allergy perhaps? :classic_biggrin:

I don't think that was it Roz... :classic_biggrin:

This shot is looking out the window towards the front of the hotel. The gray area you see just behind the flags is where the semi's turn to enter the loading area for ship supplies. The building just beyond the high-rise tower is the embarkation lounge (I think). The close tracks are for the local train/tram and the set of multiple tracks are for train service into Germany (going towards the upper left) and France (going towards the lower right). There are a couple of fast food restaurants within a block or so (one was a Subway).

out the window.png

We stayed a week in an Amsterdam hotel near the city center and then 1 night in the Mövenpick.  At the time, the Prinsendam was leaving from IJmuiden, and not the Amsterdam terminal.  It helped that we could get to the terminal located about 35 miles away via HAL transportation.  

The Mövenpick is a nice basic, modern hotel with clean rooms.  However, it can be very busy with cruise passengers and the public spaces, at least when we were there, were very crowded (e.g., breakfast lines long, little place to sit and wait with carry-on luggage.)   

Have a wonderful cruise!

18 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

At the time, the Prinsendam was leaving from IJmuiden, and not the Amsterdam terminal

That's worth pointing out! On our return, we docked at IJmuiden and did not return to the Amsterdam terminal due to the number of ships scheduled. I believe that Amsterdam can accommodate two. A few folks were dismayed to learn this as I guess they were planning to spend post-cruise in Amsterdam. 

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

That's worth pointing out! On our return, we docked at IJmuiden and did not return to the Amsterdam terminal due to the number of ships scheduled. I believe that Amsterdam can accommodate two. A few folks were dismayed to learn this as I guess they were planning to spend post-cruise in Amsterdam. 

I'm guessing your Ijmuiden port was a couple of years ago?  Prinsendam reverted back to Amsterdam last year I believe?  thankfully, we docked there and quickly arrived at our hotel - Banks Mansion - really enjoyed our stay there and all of Amsterdam 😄

My experience at Movenpick Amsterdam was positive.  Service, dinner and breakfast were good, and its location near the cruise terminal was superior.

One quibble:  the tram's location "in front of the hotel" involves crossing streets and a walk in one direction from the hotel, cross the street, and another walk in the opposite direction in order to get to the tram.  The tram DOES NOT STOP directly in-front of the hotel so that one can leave the hotel and step on the tram.  I misinterpreted the information on the hotel's website.  I based my experience for such a description at the San Francisco Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel where I literally could leave the hotel and board the streetcar.  

9 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We will be sailing from Amsterdam on the Nieuw Statendam September 8 and have booked the Movenpick for our pre-cruise stay of 2 nights.  We chose it because of the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and from the advice of others here.  Hoping we made the right choice.

I can't believe this.  I will be getting off the Rotterdam on September 7th in Amsterdam.  We keep almost crossing paths.  I am staying at the Movenpick before my cruise.  I stayed there in 2017 when I cruised to Norway and really liked it.  There is a patio off the second floor where you can take your coffee and go watch them load the ship.   

They also have a shuttle that will take you down to Central Station if you'd like.  And, have some of the ice cream.

Capture-53.thumb.png.b041b2b4bbd721bafd4dd8f0a282455d.png

This photo (from Google map) should give a bit more perspective of the relative locations of Movenpick hotel and PTA.

The marked departure and arrival locations were of my previous experience, and not sure if they would be always the same for every cruise going out and coming back in.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I can't believe this.  I will be getting off the Rotterdam on September 7th in Amsterdam.  We keep almost crossing paths.  I am staying at the Movenpick before my cruise.  I stayed there in 2017 when I cruised to Norway and really liked it.  There is a patio off the second floor where you can take your coffee and go watch them load the ship.   

They also have a shuttle that will take you down to Central Station if you'd like.  And, have some of the ice cream.

I can't believe it either!!  Any chance you'll be sticking around Amsterdam after your cruise or will you be heading straight home?  We'll be doing some land travel in France and come in by train on the 6th.  

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I can't believe it either!!  Any chance you'll be sticking around Amsterdam after your cruise or will you be heading straight home?  We'll be doing some land travel in France and come in by train on the 6th.  

Unfortunately, I'm heading to the airport.  

A sincere thank you to all who have responded to my post with so much useful information. Ine, I will definitely use the link you provided to the Amsterdam terminal. Do you know when in advance of the sailing date that information will be available about where a particular ship will be berthed?