Revolution of Specialty Restaurants

Fogfog

LPC although gimmicky seems to have enough of a clientele to fill its slots...at least  for a one and done.  Does not appeal to us..

On EDGE, in the same space as LPC, ,  they did a Bistro menu..breakfast crepes and lunch menu similar to B on 5 with daily specials....Then the  LPC at night.  Maybe that could work elsewhere.  Good lunch alternative!

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, FLbeachbaby said:

Good food is a big issue for us. At home, I would not spend money to go out to eat marginal food. We cook quite well, with nice ingredients and variety. My vacation is partly not having to cook, and enjoying nice meals out. I think people are becoming more knowledgeable about food and have a genuine interest in quality offerings. Sure, do some of you like basic, homey food and some like exotic adventurous food ? That should not be problem. Do it well, with attention to detail, and good ingredients. I have vegans, gluten free, carnivores, veggie-phobes, dairy free, sugar free, cardboard eaters  in my family and somehow I manage to make it tasty. Granted it's not for 2000, but it's modern and it's delicious. I don't want a fancy room and so-so food. I want all aspects of my cruise to exude this "modern luxury".

This is us. I am a fairly accomplished home cook--- 

Last night we had a pork tenderloin done in the sous vide..and finished with a hoisin glaze. Served with potatoes au gratin and a salad.  I have made beef goulash, spaetzle and schmorkel,  Mahi mahi sous vide and finished with a remoulade sauce. And we had an asian chicken (spicy/with peanuts).  

Vacation for us includes great meals that I don't cook and no dishes.

When we lived in Italy that was easily found in agroturismo on the weekend (typical Sunday pilgrimage with the rest of the Italians)

Not sure that the loss of UDP and increase in charges for the specialties are to push more into AQ and suite class...

I think the drop in quality in the MDR pushes people into the specialty dining. 

9 hours ago, lisiamc said:

And the menu is still the once-trendy “truffle with practically everything” that it’s  been for a decade.  I hate truffle, and I can smell it from about 50 paces away, even with a heavy cold.  I’ve been waiting for the Murano menu to change away from so many truffled dishes for a few years now.  Maybe I’d eat in there more often if I didn’t have to work around the truffle.

Maybe the menu is altered? I count only 2 truffle scented items in the apps/starters...and a couple of choices int he tasting menu. By far there are options sans truffle...

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/murano

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Maybe encouraging (by discouraging) people to book suites is one of the goals.

I think your approach is intriguing, but it would not work for me. I like the food in Murano, but no way I could eat there 4-5 times in a week - too heavy and repetitive.

Food is the most subjective topic discussed here. We are planning on a few long cruises after retirement, and that’s one thing I’ve wondered about - getting completely tired of the food

Actually, I think you are absolutely correct in that they have made cuts in the MDR to encourage people to eat in specialty or book AQ/suites. As for Murano being heavy and repetitive, I agree to a certain extent. However, when we were regulars on our last cruise the excellent staff went out of their way to accommodate some special requests, including a couple of off-menu proteins and appetizer portions of entrees, etc. We did 5 nights and I think I only ended up repeating one main.

16 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

So far all we definitely know about is Millennium which did not change any of its specialty restaurants. Qsine was supposed to change to La Petit Chef but was not updated and will remain as Qsine according to those who have been on Millennium since the updates. Supposedly the same thing will happen with Summit. We will know for sure next month when it comes out of drydock.

For the other two M class ships the restaurants are supposed to remain the same except for Qsine which is supposed to change to La Petit Chef. We won't know definitely until next year when Infinity gets updated.

For S class all the restaurants are supposed to remain the same again except for Qsine which will change to La Petit Chef (already done on a couple ships) and Silk Harvest on Solstice and Equinox is supposed to also become La Petit Chef. One remaining mystery is regarding the Gastropub. This is something that has its own venue on Equinox and operates out of the Passport Bar on the other ships. Celebrity press release mentioned an "expanded Gastropub concept". It's not clear what that means but it could be that they are finally going to replace Cellar Masters with the Gastropub like was done on Equinox. We won't get an answer on that until Silhouette gets updated next year.

Feel a little silly asking this, after all the X cruises and being EP....what does Gastropub serve?  I thought it was a bar and we've never been in there.  What ships was the G on?  Will try it on Reflection in a few weeks if it's a dining venue...like pub food?

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

This is us. I am a fairly accomplished home cook--- 

Last night we had a pork tenderloin done in the sous vide..and finished with a hoisin glaze. Served with potatoes au gratin and a salad.  I have made beef goulash, spaetzle and schmorkel,  Mahi mahi sous vide and finished with a remoulade sauce. And we had an asian chicken (spicy/with peanuts).  

Vacation for us includes great meals that I don't cook and no dishes.

When we lived in Italy that was easily found in agroturismo on the weekend (typical Sunday pilgrimage with the rest of the Italians)

Not sure that the loss of UDP and increase in charges for the specialties are to push more into AQ and suite class...

I think the drop in quality in the MDR pushes people into the specialty dining. 

I thought I was a fair to middlin' cook until I read your recipes above!  I can't even pronounce some of these....good for you.  My waistband already pays the price for what I prepare.

Re Blu....do you think it's a higher quality food or do they prepare healthy food without the sauces that make everything more than palatable to me (I'm a pretty finicky eater).

12 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I thought I was a fair to middlin' cook until I read your recipes above!  I can't even pronounce some of these....good for you.  My waistband already pays the price for what I prepare.

Re Blu....do you think it's a higher quality food or do they prepare healthy food without the sauces that make everything more than palatable to me (I'm a pretty finicky eater).

There are still sauces, just a bit lighter.

2 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

You are likely a better cook that you realize. I cook a wide variety in an avg week. Its just my thing. I cannot grow anything except herbs... so my flower beds are dismal. Some have green thumbs-- my passion is in the  kitchen

17 hours ago, youwash said:

While on Summit Jan. 29 to Feb 10 we were told by Vulcan our waiter in Tuscan that Quisine will remain after the "revolution" but will get menu changes. Tuscan was to remain also but it will be made smaller. 

We will be on Summit in April, I think the second cruise after she returns. In our cruise planner, of the two, only Tuscan can be reserved, no sign of Qsine (or LPC). Perhaps they anticipate a work still in progress?

I wonder if those on subsequent sailings see Qsine or LPC in their Cruise Planner?

4 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Feel a little silly asking this, after all the X cruises and being EP....what does Gastropub serve?  I thought it was a bar and we've never been in there.  What ships was the G on?  Will try it on Reflection in a few weeks if it's a dining venue...like pub food?

Currently Gastropub as a stand alone venue is only on the Equinox - it is in the space that is Cellar Masters on the other S Class ships.  On the other S Class ships they have the craft beers that are in the Gastropub at the Passport bar and I believe some  of the food items are available at the Passport Bar also.

Gastropub on Equinox has a burger, with I believe truffle fries - a shout-out to the truffle hater! - I think chicken wings maybe, IIRC, about 8-10 snacky, bar food type items with the burger and another sandwich being the most "meal-like" choices. I'm sure someone will post a menu soon.

I would much rather have Cellar Masters, especially if they kept the self-serve bread sticks to even out the alcohol, but on Silhouette, CM tended to be understaffed and the dispensing machines were not working, so it was underutilized except for brief times in the evening when it would be packed.

I re-read what I posted this morning, I think Hank's approach to assigning value to food is a great idea (I didn't mean to sound like I was dismissive), especially on long cruises, and especially if one needs to be careful with vacation spending and/or is concerned about value. I just would do better to employ that strategy on a ship with more than one or 2 specialty restaurants. I would need the variety, we did Murano for 2 dinners and 1 lunch on a 7 day cruise once, and while the food was quite good, that style of food is heavy and rich, and I couldn't do it for 5 meals, even stretched over 2 weeks.

Blu may well be the sweet spot for us in terms of quality of food vs cost vs other amenities (granted the other AQ amenities aren't super amazing). But even, if that is what we prefer, when you are talking about potentially being away for 4-6 weeks on a long back to back, AQ may just be too expensive.

No one has actually mentioned OVC, but on a really long cruise, I could see us doing some dinners there - a salad with lots of veggies, plain green beans or broccoli with grilled chicken or a steak is more like we eat home - we also do pasta and stir fries and some Indian, so that would break up the "monotony" of dining rooms.

In all cruise ship restaurants, like land based restaurants, you seem to get fewer veggies, and more "sauced" veggies than we eat at home with your main meat. I've tried the vegetarian option, but it is often pasta and that doesn't actually address what I start to miss after a few days.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know Infinity is not scheduled for awhile but got an e-mail form Shoreside Concierge  for a April cruise and  she indicated Qsine is being transitioned to LPC.

Please see my post #14 above...

Infinity transitioned from Qsine to Le Petit Chef effective 17 May 2018...  I dined there and, while aboard for a meeting during our overnight in San Francisco, so did LLP...

Zenith Shoreside Concierge was unaware of the change when we worked dining before my B2B but surprised that info has not yet been updated...

Edited by Xport

26 minutes ago, Xport said:

Infinity transitioned from Qsine to Le Petit Chef effective 17 May 2018...  I dined there and, while aboard for a meeting during our overnight in San Francisco, so did LLP...

Zenith Shoreside Concierge was unaware of the change when we worked dining before my B2B but surprised that info has not yet been updated...

We dined in LPC on Infinity while on a November cruise.  It was fun but thought it a one and done venue.  Interesting I booked it again for our April 7th cruise, new  menu and show.

29 minutes ago, Oville said:

We dined in LPC on Infinity while on a November cruise.  It was fun but thought it a one and done venue.  Interesting I booked it again for our April 7th cruise, new  menu and show.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at LPC on Infinity but thought it was a “one/done” thing too...  That said, I’m going back—for the new Le Petit Chef & Friends offering—during the Edge Transatlantic in April; it should be fun!

New menu/show getting strong reviews.

Edited by Xport

7 hours ago, Xport said:

@Xport

Is X planning on dumping or keeping Tuscan?Murano? Silk Harvest?

On the Milly right now--haven't they had the original Qsine menu  (post dry dock)

fog

On 2/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, Luvcrusn said:

At this point we only do Murano. LPC is a one and done and Qsine is a novelty that's exhausted itself for us, especially since we often cruise just the two of us. As far as Tuscan goes, we don't care for it and find it neither a true steakhouse, nor authentic Italian. The Lawn Club is good, but honestly, we grill steaks at home that are just as good or better and don't feel it's worth the price. If they remove Murano from the S-class ships like they did from M-class, we'll skip specialty dining altogether. So far Edge prices and the IV's aren't attractive to us. Sorry to sound like a negative Nelly, but those are my thoughts.

We are of the same view. On our upcoming cruise we have the speciality restaurant package and just about every meal will be in Murano, it’s a cut above the others. Tuscan grill is pushed just about throughout the entire cruise, Murano less so. Qsine very much a one off and never again experience, not really a proper meal.

17 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

We will be on Summit in April, I think the second cruise after she returns. In our cruise planner, of the two, only Tuscan can be reserved, no sign of Qsine (or LPC). Perhaps they anticipate a work still in progress?

I wonder if those on subsequent sailings see Qsine or LPC in their Cruise Planner?

Yes, we're on Summit in February 2020 and have Qsine booked. Would love to know for SURE which version of the restaurant it will be. I've heard that Millie still features the original (no LPC), but have also heard that it will ultimately switch over and also that it might have a rotating schedule with LPC only one or two nights with the standard Qsine experience the other nights. Hoping to someday have a definitive answer. I booked at $45, so that may indicate the old version of Qsine.

19 hours ago, Fogfog said:

@Jim_Iain

Is X planning on dumping or keeping Tuscan?Murano? Silk Harvest?

On Milly right now--haven't they had the original Qsine menu  (post dry dock)

fog

I've not heard about Silk but some rumor's I have heard is it is shifting to LPC.      I got an e-mail from shoreside concierge for Infinity yesterday and she said that Infinity was transitioning to LPC from Qsine by our April 22 cruise.