Formal Attire on Longer Cruises?

57 minutes ago, WesW said:

Also, agree with both Malbec and GOARMY, but when my wife says we are  bringing formal wear, I salute and pack accordingly.  Plus, for us it is a chance to wear our pride (wearing minature medals earned over decades of military service) on a dress jacket or Tuxedo jacket.

Tho am much more comfortable wearing nice slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt to dinner; don't mind putting formal duds on once or twice a voyage. Still trying to get Ida to wear her miniature medals (incl Bronze Star) but she won't give up her formal dresses for a ladies tuxedo.

We certainly appreciate the men and women that have served our country.  Yes be proud to wear those well earned medals they would not look good on a Tommy shirt LOL but formal attire very dashing.  Wes, Ida and GOARMY thank you for your service!

10 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Malbec: 

Totally respect your view on this.  My decision to dress, on occasion at the tux level, is not to impress, but to respect the 5+ level of the Regent experience. 

GOARMY!

Agree with GOARMY - it is about respect for Regent.

While it is interesting to read about what people wear to formal events on land, it is about each individual event and how people show respect for the company/organization that is hosting the event.  

In terms of military attire (from any country), it is always welcome (as is formal attire such as Scottish kilts).  Hopefully none of us are dressing to please or show off to others but rather dressing for yourself/your spouse or partner. Most passengers do not pay attention to what is worn on formal optional nights (unless it is so casual as to look out of place).

We did have a “snob” moment on board during our first formal optional night. A couple entered the Meridian Lounge and “cased out the place”.  Almost everyone at the bar was dressed to the minimum standard of the dress code.  My DH was wearing a tux and I was wearing a long skirt and nice top.  They decided to sit with us.  We would never think of sitting with someone based on how they dress but apparently this is very important to some folks.

13 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Malbec: 

Totally respect your view on this.  My decision to dress, on occasion at the tux level, is not to impress, but to respect the 5+ level of the Regent experience. 

GOARMY!

Is the 5+ star level of the Regent experience different on nights that are not formal optional? If not then by your logic you should be wearing your tux every night.

COL Wes:

Forgot about the miniature medal aspect of the tux jacket.  Yep, have that Bronze Star, a CIB, and a few other items which remind me of days, and years gone by.  My wife encourages me to keep bringing the tux; although I have had the need for a few alternations as to the pants portion. Wonder why. 

COL Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GOARMY said:

COL Wes:

Forgot about the miniature medal aspect of the tux jacket.  Yep, have that Bronze Star, a CIB, and a few other items which remind me of days, and years gone by.  My wife encourages me to keep bringing the tux; although I have had the need for a few alternations as to the pants portion. Wonder why. 

COL Jim

I’ve been retired from active duty for about 18 years & I've only had occasion to wear my miniatures once...just last month, in fact, for my son-in-law’s commissioning in Newport.  

I think i need need to do some more formal stuff...

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, Travelcat2 said:

There are multiple dress code on Silversea which is a good thing in many ways (not the Formal/Informal every night part).

On our 16 day Silversea Whisper cruise in November, we had 3 Formal nights. The restaurants expected a dark suit/dinner jacket or tux for men, and a cocktail dress or gown for women. We got by with a dark jacket and tie, with closely matching pants, and a dressy dress. Closed toes shoes are, of course expected, which is the hardest part for us since we live in Florida where a nice pair of sandals is the most we wear for dressy shoes. We did see couples with gowns and tuxes, but most of them were elderly (and we're early 60's so elderly is much older than that). And informal on Silversea isn't very casual either, but no ties are needed. We didn't see people wearing shorts and t-shirts after 6, but we did see jeans and polo shirts in the main dining room on informal nights.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:23 AM, WesW said:

Also, agree with both Malbec and GOARMY, but when my wife says we are  bringing formal wear, I salute and pack accordingly.  Plus, for us it is a chance to wear our pride (wearing minature medals earned over decades of military service) on a dress jacket or Tuxedo jacket.

Tho am much more comfortable wearing nice slacks and a Tommy Bahama shirt to dinner; don't mind putting formal duds on once or twice a voyage. Still trying to get Ida to wear her miniature medals (incl Bronze Star) but she won't give up her formal dresses for a ladies tuxedo.

Found on our 17 WC a higher percentage of tuxes and gowns. Like some, we enjoy getting dressed up. Don't do it ever in Tucson so enjoy the opportunity.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:03 PM, SWFLAOK said:

On our 16 day Silversea Whisper cruise in November, we had 3 Formal nights. The restaurants expected a dark suit/dinner jacket or tux for men, and a cocktail dress or gown for women. We got by with a dark jacket and tie, with closely matching pants, and a dressy dress. Closed toes shoes are, of course expected, which is the hardest part for us since we live in Florida where a nice pair of sandals is the most we wear for dressy shoes. We did see couples with gowns and tuxes, but most of them were elderly (and we're early 60's so elderly is much older than that). And informal on Silversea isn't very casual either, but no ties are needed. We didn't see people wearing shorts and t-shirts after 6, but we did see jeans and polo shirts in the main dining room on informal nights.

We cannot find any reference to wearing closed toed shoes on formal nights in either Silversea's (or Regent's) websites.  We are curious where you read about that requirement?

We were given that information in our cruise packages, under "what to pack". Searching their websites is pretty difficult, buy it's there somewhere. They keep the dress code in an obscure place, so feel free to spend time looking for it. As a woman, I feel I could have gotten by with dressy sandals on Silversea and Regent, and men can get by with dark sneakers when wearing long pants. Flip flops are a definite "no" even if dressy, and on Silversea, you can't wear them after 6 at any bar or restaurant.

4 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Second time this company has been mentioned. Do you all own stock? 😉

Nope, but I own quite a few of their shirts.   😁👍

They make me feel a little bit vacation even when I’m home.

22 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Second time this company has been mentioned. Do you all own stock? 😉

I tend to see it as just a generic reference, to short-sleeved shirts with various resort-type patterns.

Actual TB shirts are way too pricey, as far as I'm concerned, and most aren't cotton.  I find very nice quality resort shirts for my husband at Beall's here in Florida.

Also, Steinmart has beautiful shirts if you have one in your area.  Designer clothes at deeply discounted prices.  The competition is getting stiff as a Nordstrom and a Nieman Marcus store is closing as they can’t compete with the other retailers.

5 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Also, Steinmart has beautiful shirts if you have one in your area.  Designer clothes at deeply discounted prices.  The competition is getting stiff as a Nordstrom and a Nieman Marcus store is closing as they can’t compete with the other retailers.

I've heard that before, and we do have one around!  Next winter I will be haunting these places for our WC wardrobe!  Here in Dunedin we have lovely high-end dress shops, great stuff, but I really don't want to pay $150 for a dress.  Maybe on sale once in a while, but I love the discount places.

16 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I've heard that before, and we do have one around!  Next winter I will be haunting these places for our WC wardrobe!  Here in Dunedin we have lovely high-end dress shops, great stuff, but I really don't want to pay $150 for a dress.  Maybe on sale once in a while, but I love the discount places.

Steimart has great clothes and many other items including household.  I love that store.

Bealls, Steinmart, my kind of places. I bring a nice black dress with various jackets, some dressier than others, that take care of many of my dinners including formal nights. Sandals for sure, I don't own a pair of dressy closed shoes. Husband likes his tux for the formal nights. Don't know if on the World cruise he'll want to wear it that much though, there are an awful lot of formal nights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, travelwell said:

You Florida folks have me placing my first online Bealls order. I had never heard of Beall’s A dress for $24, had to try! I will be ordering tops from Bealls for sure.

Bealls is my favorite store. They always have sales and coupons plus living in Florida they have summer clothes year round.

If you like bold colors try Leoma Lovegrove clothing. She's a florida painter and they take her paintings and put them on clothes. I get lots of compliments on them.

19 hours ago, Sharle said:

Bealls is my favorite store. They always have sales and coupons plus living in Florida they have summer clothes year round.

If you like bold colors try Leoma Lovegrove clothing. She's a florida painter and they take her paintings and put them on clothes. I get lots of compliments on them.

Yep!  I was in French Polynesia on the Paul Gauguin wearing one with a bird of paradise on it.  Someone asked me where I got it and I said "Florida".  She said, "Beall's!"  I have a couple of those tops, very nice.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, Sharle said:

Bealls, Steinmart, my kind of places. I bring a nice black dress with various jackets, some dressier than others, that take care of many of my dinners including formal nights. Sandals for sure, I don't own a pair of dressy closed shoes. Husband likes his tux for the formal nights. Don't know if on the World cruise he'll want to wear it that much though, there are an awful lot of formal nights.

I'm with you, Sharle, on the issue of shoes.  I have one pair of flat closed shoes that I got to wear around Paris on October evenings, and New Balance walking shoes for those pesky excursions, but other than that, it's sandals all the way for me!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer