Travel Insurance Required

VK3DQ

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I remember those days, the days of wine and roses.😘😍

SWMBO says stuff the roses, use the money for more wine. this attitude is quite OK when you are 70+ like the pair of us.

A not so frequent visitor the other day enquired, during the course of conversation, as to whether I bought our wine by the dozen. My reply was "No, by the three dozen".

Our worldwide annual policy cost $1200 with existing pre existing conditions of DVT, Lupus, hypertension and APS. I’d never buy a single trip insurance policy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Our worldwide annual policy cost $1200 with existing pre existing conditions of DVT, Lupus, hypertension and APS. I’d never buy a single trip insurance policy now.

Did that include the US?

Edited by cruisine21

12 hours ago, Pushka said:

You wouldn't, but the advice from InsureandGo is to stick with trip by trip insurance unless you are taking more than 3 cruises per year of 10 days or more each.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:42 PM, Russell21 said:

SWMBO says stuff the roses, use the money for more wine. this attitude is quite OK when you are 70+ like the pair of us.

A not so frequent visitor the other day enquired, during the course of conversation, as to whether I bought our wine by the dozen. My reply was "No, by the three dozen".

Indeed mate, I buy a couple of dozen at a time from 1st Choice on line. $150 or more you get free delivery.  The more you drink, the more you save.  No Dan Murphy or 1st Choice down here in the semi sticks.  Got some nice NZ Brancott Pinot Noir the other day, $20 wine for $8. Of course I bought in bulk.🍷   I will have to save a couple for next cruise.

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, Bpos said:

No one been to Noumea lately, would like to know if there travel insurance documents were checked before they were allowed to go ashore?

Are you considering taking a cruise without travel insurance?

On 3/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, Pushka said:

Our worldwide annual policy cost $1200 with existing pre existing conditions of DVT, Lupus, hypertension and APS. I’d never buy a single trip insurance policy now

Can you share who the provider is? 

Does it include travel to the US? (I’m guessing it does given its worldwide)

1 hour ago, adamj26 said:

Are you considering taking a cruise without travel insurance?

Did I say that?    I am using credit card insurance as I have done for so many holidays and cruises in the past but usually do not have comprehensive documentation to produce other than the emergency phone number and booklet etc.

2 minutes ago, Bpos said:

Did I say that?    I am using credit card insurance as I have done for so many holidays and cruises in the past but usually do not have comprehensive documentation to produce other than the emergency phone number and booklet etc.

I’m interested in what documentation they want too.

also what level of cover they require.

12 minutes ago, Bpos said:

You should be able to get a letter from the bank to that you are covered? 

Does your insurance cover emergency evacuation from a cruise ship? If so do you mind me asking what bank your using? I’m going through the process now of sorting out a credit card with rewards and insurance.

1 minute ago, adamj26 said:

You should be able to get a letter from the bank to that you are covered? 

Does your insurance cover emergency evacuation from a cruise ship? If so do you mind me asking what bank your using? I’m going through the process now of sorting out a credit card with rewards and insurance.

The letter will come from the Insurer as opposed to the bank - it’s just a case of contacting them and they will send you a letter confirming the insurance cover

Re emergency evacuation - I believe the travel insurance policy from my Credit Card provider, ANZ, underwritten by Allianz includes unlimited medical cover and therefore medical from a cruise ship 

10 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Re emergency evacuation - I believe the travel insurance policy from my Credit Card provider, ANZ, underwritten by Allianz includes unlimited medical cover and therefore medical from a cruise ship 

Yes. I have relied on the ANZ travel insurance for many trips including one to Antarctica. For that trip, I phoned the underwriter to check if I would be covered for evacuation and the answer was "yes".

10 hours ago, adamj26 said:

Check how much of your travel expenses you have to pay on the card to qualify. ANZ requires you to spend $250 of your travel cost on the card but with NAB it is all of the costs. I recall that someone who relied on the NAB travel insurance had their claim refused because they paid for some of the land content (I think it was hotel) not on the credit card. This would worry me. If it is to be "all of the costs" does this include meals? This is worth checking out.

I would really like to know what would cause them to make such a sudden change and enforcing travel insurance specifically for cruises!

It's likely either- 
A- Someone was admitted to a hospital in New Caledonia, didn't have insurance and refused to foot the bill. 
B- Cruise lines have realised that insurance companies pay big commissions for sales and want to get a bigger slice of the pie.

As others have mentioned would love to know what the situation really is, I can't imagine them lining everyone up on the dock at Noumea and going through every single passengers paperwork, that would be a logistical nightmare.

10 hours ago, cruisin-m said:

B- Cruise lines have realised that insurance companies pay big commissions for sales and want to get a bigger slice of the pie.

So the New Caledonian authorities are in collusion (a French plot??) with the cruiselines & insurance companies to increase the numbers insuring so that the cruiselines can make more money in commissions ? Just by reading posts on here & FB etc, & personal knowledge of what friends & relatives do, I would say the percentage of people who take out travel insurance directly thru the cruiselines would be very small as most use 3rd party providers, either directly, or thru their TA or credit card offerings, or choose not to insure at all. 

I suggest that the NC authorities have acted to address an issue that arose with a visitor to NC, and thus now require proof if TI. Whether they individually check or not, it is a stated requirement.

8 hours ago, mr walker said:

So the New Caledonian authorities are in collusion (a French plot??) with the cruiselines & insurance companies to increase the numbers insuring so that the cruiselines can make more money in commissions ? Just by reading posts on here & FB etc, & personal knowledge of what friends & relatives do, I would say the percentage of people who take out travel insurance directly thru the cruiselines would be very small as most use 3rd party providers, either directly, or thru their TA or credit card offerings, or choose not to insure at all. 

I suggest that the NC authorities have acted to address an issue that arose with a visitor to NC, and thus now require proof if TI. Whether they individually check or not, it is a stated requirement.

Not at all - it has nothing to do with NC Government, it just seems it’s only anything under the Carnival umbrella that is suddenly pushing for Travel Insurance and in the same link that they send you saying that you require travel insurance there is a link to purchase insurance through them directly which never used to happen. 

I think you could be underestimating how many people wouldn’t have insurance when they get this and then panic buy the cruise lines insurance as the link is there which gives them the commission, it isn’t a conspiracy theory but a smart business move. 

I’m more inclined to believe it’s because some bozo didn’t pay their bill at the hospital, but cruise lines are always looking for new revenue streams so that wouldn’t surprise me either 😜

7 hours ago, cruisin-m said:

Not at all - it has nothing to do with NC Government, it just seems it’s only anything under the Carnival umbrella that is suddenly pushing for Travel Insurance and in the same link that they send you saying that you require travel insurance there is a link to purchase insurance through them directly which never used to happen. 

I think you could be underestimating how many people wouldn’t have insurance when they get this and then panic buy the cruise lines insurance as the link is there which gives them the commission, it isn’t a conspiracy theory but a smart business move. 

I’m more inclined to believe it’s because some bozo didn’t pay their bill at the hospital, but cruise lines are always looking for new revenue streams so that wouldn’t surprise me either 😜

This makes less sense than the government angle.

If it was being done by Carnival, why would they only say it for New Caledonia? Lots more money to be made from any international destination, and no reason to believe people are less likely to have already bought travel insurance for New Caledonia than other countries.

14 hours ago, cruisin-m said:

I was told this by my travel agent not through carnival, so it's not just them. 

I usually take out insurance as soon as deposit is paid for a cruise. On applying online with Insurance and Go it would not give me a quote and stated please phone for enquiry. Having one member of the family at the age of 80 I am unable to take out insurance until 4 months in advance, at least they do insure up to the age of 100.

Cheers John.