My Pet Peeve when cruising

evandbob

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Come on now.  Are you seriously suggesting it is discourteous to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair without getting their approval?  The number of people who would object to someone holding a door for them is minuscule. 

If you are behind them, yes.  If you are in front on them already, no.  If you rush up behind someone, it can be frightening since they can't guess your intention.

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Come on now.  Are you seriously suggesting it is discourteous to hold the door for someone in a wheelchair without getting their approval?  The number of people who would object to someone holding a door for them is minuscule. 

I've actually known a few fiercely independent people who do object to others helping them.  I still err on the side of being helpful, but there is a saying "no good deed goes unpunished."

• Like 1

The rule in sailing is, do NOT ever help without getting approval.  So the person knows you are helping.

You ask, and if they agree, then you help.  Otherwise, stay out of the way.

That seems to work well off the sail boat also.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

That seems to work well off the sail boat also.

Also the grocery store, gas station, movie theater, etc.

I am perfectly able bodied and I have had men cut me off so they could get in front of me to "help" me with the door. 

I help elderly & disabled people a lot, but never without informing them of my plan.

• Like 1

I can’t imagine anyone  wanting an elevator door to hit their wheelchair and bounce off it. 

I appreciate anyone putting their hand out to stop the door from closing whether they are in the elevator or coming up behind me. And I’m on my feet sometimes with a walker or cane, sometimes without. 

I’d love to hear some opinions from wheelchair users. 

Well, the rule I will continue with is to hold elevator doors for folks. Just seems like a common courtesy, but I guess some folks will find something wrong with it.  I can live with that. :classic_wink: 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SRF said:

The rule in sailing is, do NOT ever help without getting approval.  So the person knows you are helping.

You ask, and if they agree, then you help.  Otherwise, stay out of the way.

I think the issue with that comparison is that there are a lot more situations on a sail boat (or operating any equipment, really) where taking action without communicating first is inherently dangerous, potentially resulting in injury and damage. 

Not judging the approach, nor saying there isn't potential for injury if someone gets startled or pushed, but its not quite the same.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I can’t imagine anyone  wanting an elevator door to hit their wheelchair and bounce off it.

Reminds me of a recent cruise.  A woman with a stroller is trying to get on to a nearly packed elevator, and the passengers are quietly talking to each other about how to rearrange everyone so there is room.  The woman angrily complains that the discussion is too loud and these people are going to wake the baby.  Of course, her nasty complaint is in a much louder voice than anyone else had been speaking!  

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, the rule I will continue with is to hold elevator doors for folks. Just seems like a common courtesy, but I guess some folks will find something wrong with it.  I can live with that. :classic_wink: 

It is not the holding of the door.

It is pushing past them to do so, without telling them what you are doing.

A simple, "let me grab the door for you" would go a long way to making it a less hostile act.

As MANY reports are here, there are those that push past people in wheelchairs or with canes or walkers, not to help, but to get on the elevator first.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

It is not the holding of the door.

It is pushing past them to do so, without telling them what you are doing.

A simple, "let me grab the door for you" would go a long way to making it a less hostile act.

As MANY reports are here, there are those that push past people in wheelchairs or with canes or walkers, not to help, but to get on the elevator first.

Yeah, no one should be pushing past anyone really, IMO.  Anything resembling a hostile act is not good.   The right thing to do is mostly just common sense.   

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, no one should be pushing past anyone really, IMO.  Anything resembling a hostile act is not good.   The right thing to do is mostly just common sense.   

I agree, pushing past even when with good intentions is still rude.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't gone through all the replies but it amazes  me when I hear passengers complain about the food.  I have never gotten a bad meal on any of my cruises.  If you want a 5 star meal go some place on land that serves it, not a cruise ship.  Also parents that let their kids run around like crazy animals in the hall way at all hrs.  You are still parents even on vacation.  

3 minutes ago, dustyroad said:

I haven't gone through all the replies but it amazes  me when I hear passengers complain about the food.  I have never gotten a bad meal on any of my cruises.  If you want a 5 star meal go some place on land that serves it, not a cruise ship.  Also parents that let their kids run around like crazy animals in the hall way at all hrs.  You are still parents even on vacation.  

I’ve had some crap meals, but you can always grab something else.

15 hours ago, dustyroad said:

Also parents that let their kids run around like crazy animals in the hall way at all hrs.  You are still parents even on vacation.  

So why should they CHANGE the way they parent just because they are on vacation?

• Haha 1