Non-TSA Luggage in USA?

TechSurfer

I'm trying to find some real locking luggage.  Not something with an integrated fake TSA lock, but with locking points that allow an external lock (like a Pellican case, but larger) or the zippers with the coupling holes.  But the luggage available now all seems to not only have integrated TSA locks but lack the other features.  

The goal isn't really to lock it during transit, but rather when at the hotel/ship.  Any suggestions?  Any brands I should look at?

(And no, don't say locks are pointless because of the zipper weakness to a pen.  The double-coil zippers were designed to thwart that, quite effectively.  Times change.)

Edited by TechSurfer

I have an older Heys.  Recently I got a Kenneth Cole which has the zipper you can put a lock on.  I also have a great Revo bag.  Look at ebags brand, too.  Just got a great backpack which also come in luggage version: MotherLode model.  https://www.ebags.com/brand/ebags

Kenneth Cole model I have:  https://www.kennethcole.com/luggage/all-luggage/continuum-red-carry-on-spinner-suitcase---20-inch-023572496835.html  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

For the ones that have the coupling holes on the zipper pulls look at Osprey.  I've got 4 different Osprey bags and love them all.  I just a split-ring key ring between the holes and a zip tie.  Twice the pain to get open...

I use Travelpro luggages. I usually buy them from Winners (a discounted retail chain) or Costco and they have worked well for me in the years that I've had them. 

My carry-on Travelpro does have an integrated TSA lock but you could also choose not to use it and simply lock the zippers using your own lock. Not sure if this is still a feature of newer suitcases as it is an older model.

Something like 

https://www.travelpro.com/crew-11-29-expandable-spinner-suiter-4071669

https://www.travelpro.com/crew-11-21-expandable-spinner-suiter-4071661

I've used Eagle Creek bags for years. They are very sturdy and I have always used a lock through the zipper pulls. It looks like you can still do this, at least with some of the current models I just browsed.

Another brand I like is Victorinox. I have a couple of pieces from their Werks line and I can do the same with those (e.g., put an actual lock through the zipper pulls.)

Thank you, all.  Some great choices.  Unfortunately, most of the current integrated TSA locks on zippers preclude the shackle loops that used to be common, but you've pointed me at some good (hard-to-find) options.

Hooray for CruiseCritics! :classic_laugh:

When we leave our bags in our hotel room, we use coloured zip ties to secure the zipper tabs together.  Of course, there are other ways to get into them besides removing the zip ties, but I'll leave that one alone.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

hi

I was looking at a pretty good quality Samsonite luggage to replace some 30y.o. hard case Samsonite pieces I have and where the built in TSA locking mechanism is engaged there is ample room to put on an additional lock if you choose.

You can see it if you look on their web site.

Edited by Nic6318

Locking valuables inside luggage is like a nice invitation for a thief.   Luggage can never be made truly secure and always keep in mind that a thief can simply take the entire bag!   We do use inexpensive zip ties (less then 1 cent) to secure our luggage so we have a simple indicator that somebody has been inside.  In a hotel, if we have any valuables, it goes into the hotel's safe deposit boxes (usually near the front desk).

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Locking valuables inside luggage is like a nice invitation for a thief.   Luggage can never be made truly secure and always keep in mind that a thief can simply take the entire bag!   We do use inexpensive zip ties (less then 1 cent) to secure our luggage so we have a simple indicator that somebody has been inside.  In a hotel, if we have any valuables, it goes into the hotel's safe deposit boxes (usually near the front desk).

Hank

What a strange response, and a bit detached from reality.  

1. By that standard, locking your car or house is an invitation to theft that wouldn't exist, were it unlocked.
  2. You're assuming that every housekeeper tries every suitcase, but only steals from the ones that are locked.
  3. You apparently have unlimited time to go to the front desk to store your valuables and semi-valuables, every time you leave the room without wanting to bring them, after using them in your room.  I don't want to spend that much time doing that.
  4. I don't agree that the potential perpetrator is equally likely to make off with a large suitcase as with a small iPad, just because the suitcase is locked.  
  5. I don't even believe, unlike your fantasy, that the potential perpetrator will make off with a locked suitcase from a hotel (cameras everywhere) or cruise stateroom (perhaps you forgot what forum this is) just because the suitcase is locked... it could (and usually will) simply have laundry in it, being locked out of habit.

But please, feel free to post your home address, since it's clearly unlocked.  Locking it would be "like a nice invitation for a thief."

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

hi

I was looking at a pretty good quality Samsonite luggage to replace some 30y.o. hard case Samsonite pieces I have and where the built in TSA locking mechanism is engaged there is ample room to put on an additional lock if you choose.

You can see it if you look on their web site.

Thank you.  Which model, do you recall?  The Fortifi would sound like you should be able to do that, but doesn't appear to.  Winfield and Framelock (hardcase, but does include word "lock") also don't.  From the, ahem, silhouette, the  Silhouette  looks like it probably has the rings, but they don't show a close up.

Pelican makes cases large enough that you can get inside them.  The Storm line are lighter, but not quite as durable as the normal ones.  But we have had no trouble with them, literally around the world.

We use them for work.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/transport-case/storm/im3075

Be careful with the big ones, it is VERY easy to pack them over 70 pounds.  Even at 70 pounds, Air France charged me $1700 for one of them.

Entire Storm line - https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/storm-cases

4 hours ago, TechSurfer said:

Thank you.  Which model, do you recall?  The Fortifi would sound like you should be able to do that, but doesn't appear to.  Winfield and Framelock (hardcase, but does include word "lock") also don't.  From the, ahem, silhouette, the  Silhouette  looks like it probably has the rings, but they don't show a close up.

Hi

The Canadian site seems to give a much better pictures of the locks area themselves...here is a link.  https://www.samsonite.ca/winfield-3/samsonite-winfield-3-spinner-large/73441XXXX.html?dwvar_73441XXXX_color=Black&cgidmaster=luggage#start=4

but even on your links, I could see on the Winfield show clearly enough how a lock could be inserted through the zipper clasps where they lock onto the built in lock

Edited by Nic6318

On 3/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, cb at sea said:

it's not a LAW that you have to use TSA stuff

Indeed it is not. But if you check a locked bag and TSA wants to look inside it, they will just smash the lock. TSA has even been known to destroy "TSA-approved" locks for which they were supposed to have a master key. (I'm referring to "checked" or "hold" baggage, which may be inspected out of your presence.)

If there is anything that you need to have in a locked case, such as fine jewelry, it is better to hand-carry that case and be prepared to unlock it at security checks if it looks funny in x-ray.

For locking a case aboard ship or in a hotel, a separate padlock that you can attach when needed is better.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, cb at sea said:

I just use keyed Master locks (they make packs with several locks that open with the same key)...it's not a LAW that you have to use TSA stuff, you know!

If TSA decides they want to search your luggage they will simply cut-off that non-TSA approved lock.  In most cases they do not even leave you the broken lock although we have one friend who was surprised to find their ruined lock tossed inside their luggage (along with the standard note from TSA).  And there is no reimbursement for cut locks :).

Hank

On 3/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, TechSurfer said:

What a strange response, and a bit detached from reality.  

1. By that standard, locking your car or house is an invitation to theft that wouldn't exist, were it unlocked.
  2. You're assuming that every housekeeper tries every suitcase, but only steals from the ones that are locked.
  3. You apparently have unlimited time to go to the front desk to store your valuables and semi-valuables, every time you leave the room without wanting to bring them, after using them in your room.  I don't want to spend that much time doing that.
  4. I don't agree that the potential perpetrator is equally likely to make off with a large suitcase as with a small iPad, just because the suitcase is locked.  
  5. I don't even believe, unlike your fantasy, that the potential perpetrator will make off with a locked suitcase from a hotel (cameras everywhere) or cruise stateroom (perhaps you forgot what forum this is) just because the suitcase is locked... it could (and usually will) simply have laundry in it, being locked out of habit.

But please, feel free to post your home address, since it's clearly unlocked.  Locking it would be "like a nice invitation for a thief."

there are these wonderful things in hotel rooms/ ship cabins called safes. 😉  No need to walk down to the Front Desk.  In my years of working the Front Desk at several hotels, I've never had a guest come down and ask to store anything other than guns and large PCs.  

If you want to be sure your suitcase doesn't walk out of your room/cabin, you need to bring a cable lock (like a bike lock) and wrap it around the toilet pipe...  Pac Safe actually sells a small bag with a cable lock just for that purpose.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

there are these wonderful things in hotel rooms/ ship cabins called safes. 😉  No need to walk down to the Front Desk.  In my years of working the Front Desk at several hotels, I've never had a guest come down and ask to store anything other than guns and large PCs.  

If you want to be sure your suitcase doesn't walk out of your room/cabin, you need to bring a cable lock (like a bike lock) and wrap it around the toilet pipe...  Pac Safe actually sells a small bag with a cable lock just for that purpose.

You should never trust the hotel or cabin safe.  They are better than a TSA lock, but still pretty much useless.  Lots of keys (by necessity; the hotel must be able to get in if the guest leaves it locked) and unfortunately common backdoors and default admin codes that they never change.

Fully agree about the cable, although that's a much lower concern.  Theft is usually of easily-hidden items.  And fully agree that PacSafe utterly rocks, but their luggage is uggggly.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:33 PM, TechSurfer said:

Incorrect.  The version you are looking at doesn't allow for a different lock to be used, but a lot of Hey's luggage does, along with the built-in locks.

https://heysamerica.com/collections/all/products/portoro-black-marble-fashion-spinner-3pc-set

https://heysamerica.com/collections/all/products/blue-skies-30-spinner

Very good quality hard-sided luggage, incidentally.  They are made with material that is flexible, so they do not crack.  My husband and I both have Hey's luggage and I love them.  Have taken them on more trips that I can count and they are still in-tact.

I found the perfect case... the Costco Kirkland Signature carry-ons have the Racquet-Coil zipper, the shackle lock and a lot of other nice features also.  I was surprised that Delsey only puts tamper-resistant zippers on their checked luggage sizes, not on carry-on.  (I verified this with a call to them; they were knowledgeable, helpful and equally confused about the choice for the policy of still including a useless TSA lock on carry-on but excluding the SecuriTech zipper.)