Cruise Critic Community
Grandma Cruising

Upgrade bid experiences

7 hours ago, Doh15 said:

I just noticed in the fine print of my travel agent documents (from a large well-known US-based company) it says they do not “participate in cruise line bid-based stateroom upgrade programs.”  

I am wondering if that means we won’t be eligible, or if it means we might be eligible but we’ll need to log in and check if that’s something we are interested in. 

We picked a cabin we’d be happy with and I doubt we would successfully bid if we were eligible but I am a little curious if anyone knows the answer. 

Early on in the new system some people found they were ineligible and were told it was because their travel agent did not participate. It sounds like yours may be one of these.

Bid Date:  January 6, 2020

Cruise Date:  February 20, 2020

length of cruise:  26 Nights South Africa to Dubai

Loyalty Level:  Discover Plus

minimum bid $400 US per person

amount bid:  $1,770 US per person (total $3,540 per cabin)

Upgrade cabin was a Club Continental Suite (6056)

Previous cabin was a V3 balcony

We also bid unsuccessfully on a Owner's Suite - our bid for that was $11,450 US for cabin

Received email 3 days before this cruise that our bid for the Club Continental Suite was successful

We were on a back to back (our second cruise was cancelled while we were on the first cruise but we had received a successful bid upgrade which I post here for reference purposes)

Bid Date:  January 2, 2020 (we received email to bid on the second cruise before we received the email for the 1st cruise)

Cruise Date:  March 17, 2020  (this cruise was cancelled due to Covid-19)

Length of Cruise: 11 Nights

Bid on Owner's Suite successfully

minimum bid:  $2800 US per person

Our bid:  $4110 US per person ($8220 for cabin)

This was considered a strong bid

Received successful bid email 17 days before the cruise

2 hours ago, 2ndsailing said:

Bid Date:  January 6, 2020

Cruise Date:  February 20, 2020

length of cruise:  26 Nights South Africa to Dubai

minimum bid $400 US per person

amount bid:  $1,770 US per person (total $3,540 per cabin)

Upgrade cabin was a Club Continental Suite (6056)

Previous cabin was a V3 balcony

We also bid unsuccessfully on a Owner's Suite - our bid for that was $11,450 US for cabin

Received email 3 days before this cruise that our bid for the Club Continental Suite was successful

We were on a back to back (our second cruise was cancelled while we were on the first cruise but we had received a successful bid upgrade which I post here for reference purposes)

Bid Date:  January 2, 2020 (we received email to bid on the second cruise before we received the email for the 1st cruise)

Cruise Date:  March 17, 2020  (this cruise was cancelled due to Covid-19)

Length of Cruise: 11 Nights

Bid on Owner's Suite successfully

minimum bid:  $2800 US per person

Our bid:  $4110 US per person ($8220 for cabin)

This was considered a strong bid

Received successful bid email 17 days before the cruise

Thanks for the information 2ndsailing. I’ve added it to the spreadsheet, but just a couple of questions:- 

- can you remember if your 2 bids for the February 20 cruise were weak, strong etc

- can you remember what the minimum bid was on the 20 February cruise for the     Owners Cabin bid
- what was the cabin grade that you had booked for the March 17th cruise

Don’t worry if you can’t remember, the information above is very helpful.

4 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for the information 2ndsailing. I’ve added it to the spreadsheet, but just a couple of questions:- 

- can you remember if your 2 bids for the February 20 cruise were weak, strong etc

- can you remember what the minimum bid was on the 20 February cruise for the     Owners Cabin bid
- what was the cabin grade that you had booked for the March 17th cruise

Don’t worry if you can’t remember, the information above is very helpful.

I think the bids for Feb 20th were somewhere between weak and strong.  Unfortunately, forgot to record that before we left.

Min. bid for Owner's Suite for Febuary 20th was $4600 US per person

We had a V3 booked (same cabin for both cruises)

Interesting note on both bids.  They quote price in US dollars and we bid in US dollars, but we were charged in Canadian dollars (we are Canadian)

Don't know if you remember us from the Norway cruise last summer on the Journey.  We had an owner's suite on that cruise.

Heather

1 minute ago, 2ndsailing said:

I think the bids for Feb 20th were somewhere between weak and strong.  Unfortunately, forgot to record that before we left.

Min. bid for Owner's Suite for Febuary 20th was $4600 US per person

We had a V3 booked (same cabin for both cruises)

Interesting note on both bids.  They quote price in US dollars and we bid in US dollars, but we were charged in Canadian dollars (we are Canadian)

Don't know if you remember us from the Norway cruise last summer on the Journey.  We had an owner's suite on that cruise.

Heather

Yes I do remember you Heather. You very kindly invited us to your suite which was lovely. That was a great cruise but seems a very long time ago now!

Thanks for the information, all added in to the spreadsheet.

We didn't get the e-mail invitation to bid  for this same (Capetown cruise)(sorry old news) , so we bid ourselves via the web site. Received an acknowledgment for this bid.....even bid again, higher before we left home, as we hadn't heard anything. ...and received another e-mail thanking us.  Should say, we were discover plus in a balcony.

Did not hear back from Azamara at all, so we e-mailed them from Capetown when we arrived, the day before embarcation.   . To hear that we had been unsuccessful,  as these bids rely on availability only, and the cruise was fully booked. ....so no upgrades were available.

?????

But, it was still a fantastic cruise.

Thank you again Azamara..Captain, officers, staff and crew...you were Azamazing.