Water Question

Scottygirl1

I see the bottled water is now available online again but my question is this.  On previous cruises with other lines they have given out free water as you left the ship at various ports.  Does Princess do this or should we be taking our own water with us? 

2 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I see the bottled water is now available online again but my question is this.  On previous cruises with other lines they have given out free water as you left the ship at various ports.  Does Princess do this or should we be taking our own water with us? 

No but they will happily sell you one on the way off of the ship.

1 minute ago, Doug R. said:

No but they will happily sell you one on the way off of the ship.

haha... thanks - I might buy the water package.  Alternatively I might just take a couple of bottles and refill them from the ship water.  Would this be done in the buffet or is the water in the room also drinkable?

Scottygirl . . . it is my understanding from reading numerous places that the ship water is perfectly fine and well filtered, and what is available everywhere on the ship even in your state rooms.

I personally am not going to be buying water but using what is there.  I still need to find out when we get off in Canada for a port day if they will let me have a drink cup with a straw coming off and again onto the ship or does it have to be sealed containers only?

• Like 2

You can refill bottles or a reusable bottle from any of the places on the ship.  However the water package is an incredibly good deal as cruise line purchases go.  I often buy a bottle of water or two in local convenience stores when on trips and in tourist areas it is usually at least a dollar.  At $0.50 a bottle even with the added gratuity it is cheap and convenient to let Princess provide it.

2 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

haha... thanks - I might buy the water package.  Alternatively I might just take a couple of bottles and refill them from the ship water.  Would this be done in the buffet or is the water in the room also drinkable?

Water is the room is the same as the water anywhere else on the ship and is as pure as any in bottles. As an alternative I almost always see vendors selling bottled water at the ports. $1 is a common price. I think they charge $2 on board.

3 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Either one. The tap water in the cabin is the same water used to make the ice cubes that the steward will put in your fridge.

I always carry a bottle & refill in the bathroom (usually) or at the drink station in the buffet.

3 hours ago, Lindaru said:

I personally am not going to be buying water but using what is there.  I still need to find out when we get off in Canada for a port day if they will let me have a drink cup with a straw coming off and again onto the ship or does it have to be sealed containers only?

Not positive. I think if it's water, it's OK. If it's coffee from the IC, it's a no no.

I carry either a refilled water bottle or my drink container (mood dependent) and never had an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

FYI,

You can buy a case at the store and tape a label to it and give it to the porter. It will make it to your room. Just make sure to tape up the package good.

If you don't have an option to get a case of water to the port, as others have said, use a Nalgene or some other type of refillable bottle.

In all our Princess cruises I have never seen them give out water when exiting the ship in a port.  As others have said they are quite happy to sell you some at the gangplank.  We order water before the ship sails to be delivered to our stateroom and use it to take water off the ship.  You can also bring a container, fill it up on the ship and take it off with you.

Thanks for your answers - my concern is really all the plastic that gets wasted with the water you can buy but I am assuming that Princess (and other cruise lines) have a safe eco-friendly disposal system.  I think the water we got for free when disembarking was on our much earlier cruises. I will probably get the 12 bottle package though because I'm more likely to drink more water if it's in front of me (and then drink the wine which will also be in front of me 🙂  ) . Happy days - only two months until we sail!!

20 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

Thanks for your answers - my concern is really all the plastic that gets wasted with the water you can buy but I am assuming that Princess (and other cruise lines) have a safe eco-friendly disposal system.  I think the water we got for free when disembarking was on our much earlier cruises. I will probably get the 12 bottle package though because I'm more likely to drink more water if it's in front of me (and then drink the wine which will also be in front of me 🙂  ) . Happy days - only two months until we sail!!

Don't remember the port now, but last fall we saw them unload about 8 cubic meters of crushed plastics plus glass and other items. Princess is very good at recycling.

6 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I have another suggestion- and way better than getting a bottled water package. Go to your favorite online retailer and just search "metal water bottle" and "water bottle carrier". I have something like this and never leave the house without it. The metal bottle keeps your water nice and cold for quite awhile, especially if you get an insulated carrying case like this. The strap can go over your shoulder, or you can tie to a purse or backpack. I use this on a daily basis at home and wouldn't consider cruising without it! It'll be so handy in port, and much more comfortable than just carrying around a plastic bottle. (Better for the environment, too.) 

Not posting any direct links or recommending any brand, but just doing the generic search I mentioned above will give you lots of options!

749efe5171abe4f486f1f7fab18d4684.png

dd0c1337e302abe4eb8662dea5431d33.png

• Like 1

I have one drink cup with handle and lid that uses a reusable straw that I take everywhere.  I do not usually have water in it but often coffee or tea.  Will they let me fill it up and take it into the Victoria, B.C., port?  If not, I guess I will have to find a place that sells bottled or canned beverages and finish before reboarding?

Also, do the Princess ships have recycle bins along with their waste baskets both in the state room and public areas?

17 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

I have one drink cup with handle and lid that uses a reusable straw that I take everywhere.  I do not usually have water in it but often coffee or tea.  Will they let me fill it up and take it into the Victoria, B.C., port?  If not, I guess I will have to find a place that sells bottled or canned beverages and finish before reboarding?

Also, do the Princess ships have recycle bins along with their waste baskets both in the state room and public areas?

I have not seen any, but when talking to our room steward last fall, he indicated all the trash was separated. I think I mentioned it above, I have seen Princess unloading recyclables in a port on our fall cruise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

I have not seen any, but when talking to our room steward last fall, he indicated all the trash was separated. I think I mentioned it above, I have seen Princess unloading recyclables in a port on our fall cruise.

Your mention of it is what made me think to ask.  Are we supposed to separate or do they separate once in the trash?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Lindaru said:

Your mention of it is what made me think to ask.  Are we supposed to separate or do they separate once in the trash?  Thanks!

I asked the same question of the steward. He said to throw everything in the same trash and it would be separated later.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

They would not let me take coffee into Victoria last May.  They were checking everyone.

• Like 1

I do have a metal water bottle and use that here on a daily basis - I know in Rome (where we are staying for a week prior) you can fill your bottle from all the public water taps all over the city.  I suppose if I take my drink bottle back onto the ship they will need to check it each time in case I'm using it to smuggle alcohol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Usually we fill our own bottles in the cabin and then chill them in the refrigerator for taking ashore. On the two cruises where we had the PBP we just snagged a bottle each from the bar or when exiting to go ashore as they were "free".

• Like 1