Dog living on Anthem and peeing everywhere ...

6 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes.. because sooooo many people are being peed on by dogs on RCI!! 🙄 

Personally I have never seen a dog on 49 cruises albeit 44 cruises were to Europe/ Mediterranean where we are much stricter with Emotional Support Animals because of Rabies etc.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Personally I have never seen a dog on 49 cruises albeit 44 cruises were to Europe/ Mediterranean where we are much stricter with Emotional Support Animals because of Rabies etc.

We've seen 2 such dogs...as well as 1 passenger being "rejected" at the Ft. Lauderdale terminal for trying to bring his dog onboard.

It's hard to forget that experience, as the owner made a huge scene as RCI staff repeatedly told him "sir, you don't have the proper documentation for your animal". He had some kind of harness on the dog with words printed on it, but we didn't take the time to read them.  We wrote that off as a "failed fake rescue dog attempt".

In keeping with the OP's original statement, the problem with dog urine is not one confined to Anthem. As i said in an earlier post, my JS on Adventure had a foul smell when I entered it on the day of embarkation. At first, I was told they were "aware" of the smell, that it would dissipate over the next couple of days, and to leave my balcony door open for a few hours to air the room out. The smell never completely disappeared, in fact it got worse. About 5 days later due to a failure of the air conditioning system, my room was very hot and what had been a foul smell was now clearly identifiable as urine.  Days were spent during which the room was aired out, carpets and furniture were steam cleaned 2X (crusty brown spots on three spots of the rug were cleaned up as well), walls and cabinets were washed down for fear of mold spores, a commercial ionized was run for half a day and the air vents were vacuumed and one filter replaced. Royal did their absolute best to remedy the situation and for that, I applaud them. They also compensated me for two out of my four B4B cruises. I seriously doubt that a trained service dog had defecated and urinated in this room, more than likely, someone's pet was responsible.  I think that the more Royal has to clean up after these "pets," especially if they find themselves in the position of having  to compensate other passengers for these pets' indiscretions, the more likely Royal will enforce their only service-dogs stance. 

Edited by MaritimeR&R
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MaritimeR&R said:

In keeping with the OP's original statement, the problem with dog urine is not one confined to Anthem. As i said in an earlier post, my JS on Adventure had a foul smell when I entered it on the day of embarkation. At first, I was told they were "aware" of the smell, that it would dissipate over the next couple of days, and to leave my balcony door open for a few hours to air the room out. The smell never completely disappeared, in fact it got worse. About 5 days later due to a failure of the air conditioning system, my room was very hot and what had been a foul smell was now clearly identifiable as urine.  Days were spent during which the room was aired out, carpets and furniture were steam cleaned 2X (crusty brown spots on three spots of the rug were cleaned up as well), walls and cabinets were washed down for fear of mold spores, a commercial ionized was run for half a day right and the air vents were vacuumed and one filter replaced. Royal did their absolute best to remedy the situation and for that, I applaud them. They also compensated me for two out of my four B4B cruises. I seriously doubt that a trained service dog had defecated and urinated in this room, more than likely, someone's pet was responsible.  I think that the more Royal has to clean up after these "pets," especially if they find themselves in the position of having  to compensate other passengers for these pets' indiscretions, the more likely Royal will enforce their only service-dogs stance. 

Hmmm..

Maybe anyone who wants to bring a pet onboard (other than a documented service dog) should have to pay double the price for any cabin...just in case.

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

It's not expensive because that is normal. NY is an anomaly, not like the bulk of the country. I guess I forgot Tommy lives somewhere near you, but he's only one dog. 

All of these are 4+ stars

Long Island $45 https://www.luckypawsny.com/pricing

Atlanta $31 https://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/marietta-ga/services-rates/boarding/

Orlando $35 https://missemilysbedandbiscuit.com/pricing.php

Merritt Island $25 http://www.ohanapetresort.com/boarding.html

Ala Carte add ons are extra.

Bella does not need a bed time story. 😉

Long Island City is in Queens NYC very close to Manhattan Too far and out of the way for those of us in Nassau County and Suffolk County. Also people who live in NYC area tend to have small dogs because they live in apartments. In the suburbs where we have private yards the dogs are over 20 lbs ,which brings us back up to $50.

Edited by Iamcruzin

10 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

In keeping with the OP's original statement, the problem with dog urine is not one confined to Anthem. As i said in an earlier post, my JS on Adventure had a foul smell when I entered it on the day of embarkation. At first, I was told they were "aware" of the smell, that it would dissipate over the next couple of days, and to leave my balcony door open for a few hours to air the room out. The smell never completely disappeared, in fact it got worse. About 5 days later due to a failure of the air conditioning system, my room was very hot and what had been a foul smell was now clearly identifiable as urine.  Days were spent during which the room was aired out, carpets and furniture were steam cleaned 2X (crusty brown spots on three spots of the rug were cleaned up as well), walls and cabinets were washed down for fear of mold spores, a commercial ionized was run for half a day and the air vents were vacuumed and one filter replaced. Royal did their absolute best to remedy the situation and for that, I applaud them. They also compensated me for two out of my four B4B cruises. I seriously doubt that a trained service dog had defecated and urinated in this room, more than likely, someone's pet was responsible.  I think that the more Royal has to clean up after these "pets," especially if they find themselves in the position of having  to compensate other passengers for these pets' indiscretions, the more likely Royal will enforce their only service-dogs stance. 

My sympathies to you for having to experience this and fortunately you did get some recompense.

I believe a certain number of rooms should be reserved for passengers/service dogs/ESA only so others who have allergies etc are not exposed to a cabin like you had.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I don't think many people would believe it when they hear that many "pet owners" drop their pets at the shelter prior to a vacation, because they don't want to pay for boarding, and never pick them up. Shelters fill up very quickly just before the holidays....  and about a month after Christmas when all of the surprise puppy and kitty gifts end up getting dumped at the pound. Same with bunnies after Easter.

That is so sad. My third dog is technically my son's dog. He got her through a friend who know someone who couldn't keep her and didn't even consider brining her to a shelter. He was just going to dump her off in the woods. My son rescued her and the plan was to find a proper home. Some how the proper home became mine. My son is 26 and is never home so she gravitated to us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is so sad. My third dog is technically my son's dog. He got her through a friend who know someone who couldn't keep her and didn't even consider brining her to a shelter. He was just going to dump her off in the woods. My son rescued her and the plan was to find a proper home. Some how the proper home became mine. My son is 26 and is never home so she gravitated to us.

I am so happy that your dog found her forever home with you. :)

I know this is going off on a huge tangent and may sound very unsettling, but in warmer climates like ours and with horrible dog pounds like ours (high kill shelters), I believe that it is sometimes better for the dog to be dumped (in town and not in the woods) and be found as a stray. This way they get 3-10 days for an owner search and have a slightly better chance of being adopted or pulled by a rescue. Owner surrenders may be put to sleep before the owner even leaves the premises. The shelters are full and have a high-kill rate - they are obligated by law to keep the strays alive for a certain number of days to give an owner a chance to reclaim. When the dog is surrendered, there is no hold time. We do have some (richer) county shelters that have the luxury of keeping the dogs longer, but they are few and far in between.

9 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:
19 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

What exactly do you want?  

I would imagine an apology would be in order but if they did that it would be admitting that they were wrong. I guess that will never happen.

That's my thinking as well. But if Royal acknowledged it, then they would admit they are allowing their own rules to be broken (i.e. dogs not using designated relieve areas), plus then they would have to give the OP some kind of compensation.  A bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit would be enough for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:
1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I think that the more Royal has to clean up after these "pets," especially if they find themselves in the position of having  to compensate other passengers for these pets' indiscretions, the more likely Royal will enforce their only service-dogs stance. 

Hmmm..

Maybe anyone who wants to bring a pet onboard (other than a documented service dog) should have to pay double the price for any cabin...just in case.

At least pay the same "cleaning fee" that they charge for smoking in your cabin.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That's my thinking as well. But if Royal acknowledged it, then they would admit they are allowing their own rules to be broken (i.e. dogs not using designated relieve areas), plus then they would have to give the OP some kind of compensation.  A bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit would be enough for me.

That's it, if they had simply been gracious and offered some freebies on board, this would have likely been resolved and we wouldn't have heard about it - they can do that without admitting fault or anything else but diffuse the situation to the satisfaction of both parties or at least gain some ground if the situation is still going sideways!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

That's it, if they had simply been gracious and offered some freebies on board, this would have likely been resolved and we wouldn't have heard about it - they can do that without admitting fault or anything else but diffuse the situation to the satisfaction of both parties or at least gain some ground if the situation is still going sideways!

How is it the cruiselines fault?  If it even happened.....  if she was that concerned it would have been a medical problem why didn’t she take the kid to the doctor right away?  

1 minute ago, Sam Ting said:

How is it the cruiselines fault?  If it even happened.....  if she was that concerned it would have been a medical problem why didn’t she take the kid to the doctor right away?  

I never said it was their fault but it's their ship, their company, and this happened on it, therefore they are involved.  Not having been there, and not having any idea what the main concerns were at the time, but expecting, had it been me, I would more just want acknowledgement it happened, some good will gesture, and if I was concerned about safety/hygiene, then a free visit to medical or some additional cleaning supplies and towels from housekeeping.  

Say I was walking into the windjammer and a waiter spilled a tray of something on me - all I'd hope is someone to jump in with something to help me get clean enough to go change (so as not to be dripping) - then yes, I'd hope to be offered free laundry or a free clothing item as a replacement in the giftshops.  Likely I'd decline the free item and possibly laundry depending on what it was I was wearing and how attached I was to it or if I thought it could be saved.  I know this isn't the same thing, I just know in the service industry, there are always situations that require some instant reaction on the spot.  The problems too is companies are so worried about litigation they've taken a lot of the human side out of these situations that would diffuse them and have created more stonewalling that escalates them.

5 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

By not following their own rules and removing the dog and passenger. The rules are stated in post #384.

Word on the street (or waves as it may be) is that this is a regular customer that has had repeated problems of this nature, so much so, that he has been banned from sailing on Grandeur.

Again, these is all word of mouth stories posted on CC so take it as you will. But if this has been a pattern of behavior that is well known, than Royal is at fault. If it's just a one-time incident, then I agree with you. No fault, warn the dogs owner and at least acknowledge that it happened.

Why would someone make this up?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

By not following their own rules and removing the dog and passenger. The rules are stated in post #384.

Word on the street (or waves as it may be) is that this is a regular customer that has had repeated problems of this nature, so much so, that he has been banned from sailing on Grandeur.

Again, these is all word of mouth stories posted on CC so take it as you will. But if this has been a pattern of behavior that is well known, than Royal is at fault. If it's just a one-time incident, then I agree with you. No fault, warn the dogs owner and at least acknowledge that it happened.

Why would someone make this up?

Didn't the OP come back and say the girl may have stepped in it.🤔

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Didn't the OP come back and say the girl may have stepped in it.🤔

You may be right, I'm not going back to reread it - I thought that was what Royal had suggested when she heard back from them but if that's what actually happened sheesh, I've had more issue from accidentally rubbing clothing on remaining bleach from intense cleaning - at least now for most of those I smile thinking I got them on a cruise!

I've been occasionally run over by both scooters and trolleys in the elevator. Stepped on is the norm. Every man for themselves.

Oh, and dont forget backpacks. People have no idea they have a 12" hump on their back when they turn around.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShillyShally said:

You may be right, I'm not going back to reread it - I thought that was what Royal had suggested when she heard back from them but if that's what actually happened sheesh, I've had more issue from accidentally rubbing clothing on remaining bleach from intense cleaning - at least now for most of those I smile thinking I got them on a cruise!

Royal also suggested the girl peed herself.

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Royal also suggested the girl peed herself.

Completely possible she did, though I think Royal should know better than to throw that possibility out there - what does that save them from?  That almost certainly sparked fire in Mom!  They would have been better stonewalling completely - stating "we handled this after review and are sorry your trip was affected" or something like that - they don't have to say what they did or anything else.  

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

My response was about being brushed off by Royal and being told it didn't happen the way I knew it did if I was the OP - for me to be falsely accused of something is fighting words!  

From any perspective though I think it can be agreed Royal handled this wrongly!  Why they didn't simply say "Our accounts of the event through video and first hand reports don't align with yours however we understand your concern and frustration and would like to offer you X refund off this recent cruise or off a future cruise as we care about every one of our passengers having a good experience" - They'd get so much more mileage out of meeting them halfway instead of being combative, they can say they will continue to look into it, even if they're just placating.

I agree.

If Royal had been more diplomatic this could have been sorted on board to everyone's potential satisfaction,instead Royal seem to have shot themselves in the foot.

The crew member with the mask and protective clothing cleaning up the dog mess tells us all what the reality was.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree.

If Royal had been more diplomatic this could have been sorted on board to everyone's potential satisfaction,instead Royal seem to have shot themselves in the foot.

The crew member with the mask and protective clothing cleaning up the dog mess tells us all what the reality was.

That's the key thing - the mask and protective clothing - even if simply their normal protocol cause far more harm here than help! You can't help but see protective measures and think you may need them too.

• Like 2