Dog living on Anthem and peeing everywhere ...

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:
10 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Look, I just can't let this go now as I have been judged for one facetious remark.  I love animals and would never be cruel to one, anywhere.  I am a pet owner as many on here already know.  I have a fur ball and buried our Golden 5 years ago. (Cannot bare to get another, irreplaceable) .  If someone cannot tell a tongue in cheek remark when it's obvious, that is your problem. 

For what it's worth, I thought you were serious also.

Hey, as a sarcastic wise-a** myself,  I know that sometimes joking around doesn't always translate well into the written word.

@BecciBoo - sometimes the jokes will just land flat like a lead balloon. The people that you know IRL may get them & understand, but people that don't know you on an anonymous message board, it might not go over. It happens. Just dust yourself off, offer a simple explanation or smiley face (or don't) and move on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

the one mentioned are not service dogs, as most authentic service animals must wear a service harness when in public and are trained to urinate/defecate on demand.

Actually there is no law that requires the service dog to wear a vest.  However, most do.  The organization I received my service dog requires it.     However, one can't say it's not a service dog if there is no vest.

It is true that they are trained to urinate or defecate on command.   I've cruised with my dog many times and he's never had an accident.  As his handler, I make sure to give him the opportunity to use the relief box often.   He's trained to be unobtrusive.   I ask that people don't pet him for two reasons:  1.  I can get hurt if he's distracted.  2.  He knows he's working when his vest is on and I don't want him to think he can be social.  I do have a command that I give him if he can be petted, but then it's only when I am sitting down, and even then in VERY rare circumstances.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, thephantomsgirl said:

Actually there is no law that requires the service dog to wear a vest.  However, most do.  The organization I received my service dog requires it.     However, one can't say it's not a service dog if there is no vest.

It is true that they are trained to urinate or defecate on command.   I've cruised with my dog many times and he's never had an accident.  As his handler, I make sure to give him the opportunity to use the relief box often.   He's trained to be unobtrusive.   I ask that people don't pet him for two reasons:  1.  I can get hurt if he's distracted.  2.  He knows he's working when his vest is on and I don't want him to think he can be social.  I do have a command that I give him if he can be petted, but then it's only when I am sitting down, and even then in VERY rare circumstances.

My sons service animal a guide dog, has a leather harness and no vest. That is the way he was trained by Guiding Eyes.

We have encountered the rude person or two etc.. That does not understand and get offended that he said no when asked for them to interact with his dog. It was all a part of his training when he received Alisa.

He has also been refused service at a park, because some security guard thought he had "Power". After hearing about it, I was more disappointed in the Police Officer that was with the Guard, in not correcting the situation. (I am a Police Officer and we are trained on what the ADA allows.

No one on this board truly knows what and why he has Tommy and his status goes to show the cruise line is focusing on the profits and not the optics.

• Like 1

There is just something wrong about scrolling thru and smiling at the sweet Bella photos.....then catching the first glimpse of that poor ugly cat. 😱

#NightmaresTonight

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, barbeyg said:

There is just something wrong about scrolling thru and smiling at the sweet Bella photos.....then catching the first glimpse of that poor ugly cat. 😱

#NightmaresTonight

😂

Beauty is only hair deep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, barbeyg said:

#NightmaresTonight

😂

I don't agree.   While Bella is certainly lovely and photogenic the cat interacting with the lady in high heels is a beautiful photo.  Is that Captain Kate?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I don't agree.   While Bella is certainly lovely and photogenic the cat interacting with the lady in high heels is a beautiful photo.  Is that Captain Kate?

Yes, that’s Captain Kate. 🙂  And yes, I agree, that photo is a great shot of the two together. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

If someone found out there was a dog on the Anthem and wanted to cancel their upcoming cruise because they're allergic/afraid/etc of dogs, would they have to pay the cancellation fee?

Yes, if they were in the penalty phase of their booking and/or had a non-refundable deposit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If I book the Anthem....can I pee everywhere?🤔

That depends. Are you monitoring someones blood pressure or working as a ESP (Emotional Support Person)? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Glad they are now limiting the ships to service dogs only. These dog owners do not want to pay the $60 to $100 per night for a good dog kennel, so they get their doctor to write a note saying it is a emotional support dog !  On a cruise ship in such close quarters, the dog owners have to provide emotional support to the dog, because in high stress situations such as a dog experiences on a cruise, the dog is stressed out. Seen several dogs just stand there and shake, they were so stressed out.  Even the highly selected dogs  (only a couple breeds) that go through EMS training, can fail/flunk out of training school,  because they can not "work" in high stress situations.  These owners of "pets" who claim these dogs are emotional support, are not trained and quite frankly are clueless to stress put on dogs in certain situations that are common on ships.  Be kind to your pet and do not bring them on a ship !  Service dogs that are properly trained and are working, are most welcome ! 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, thephantomsgirl said:

This is key, service dog owners care for their dogs as their dogs care for them.  And yes, I'm sure the same can be said for many true Emotional Support Animals but for anyone else that isn't ensuring their dog's basic needs of going to the bathroom and not going where they aren't supposed to, those are not needed animals in my book but pets of entitled feeling passengers.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 7:33 AM, John&LaLa said:

Doesn't a Celebrity captain travel with a cat?

This is an odd situation for people who are allergic to animals.  I am a pet lover, however, I am severely allergic to cats and some dogs.  I break out in hives all over, eyes swell shut, itchy throat, sneezing,etc.  It would take about 4-5 benedryl and a few hours to get it under control.  I have had friends remove their cat from the room before I have visited.  Careful not to touch anything at all in the house, I still have a severe allergic reaction (not fatal).  I can't imagine if you have someone on board that has severe pet allergies to someone with a service animal.  Wonder how that would work?  

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, TTraub1250 said:

These tight quarters, it is not fair to people who are allergic. Much like smoking on a plane. Laws were put in place to prevent second hand smoke disease. Cruise lines do not want sick people to come on the ship, will limit pregnant women and if you are found to be sick will quarantine you to your room. Well a dog in a tight spot can cause someone to go into allergic shock, with the throat closing and worst case the person dying in minutes.

Or cat. I've been told that it's not necessarily the dander that people are allergic to, but the animals saliva in which of course, ends up on the dander that sheds. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ryano said:

This, according to the ADA

• Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.

Placing the 2 in different locations makes sense, but might eventually cross paths at some point on the ship.  I love animals but I am severely allergic to cats (break out in hives, eyes swell shut, difficulty breathing - asthma, etc.) I am allergic to some dogs, but not a severe reaction like I have to cats.  For those with allergies (light to severe), I guess the best thing is always be prepared; bring your allergy meds, inhaler, epi pen, etc as soon as onset of symptoms. I mean this in all sincerity, not at all trying to be facetious or insensitive to those with service animals.    

here is my Allie girl.  She is my dual purpose service dog and hunting retriever.  When I cruise, she stays with her trainer.  It is not fair to her to have her confined to such tight quarters and being that I dont HAVE to have her with me, its not fair to guests who may be allergic.  Plus, it would be tough to keep her out of the pools LOL!    She stays with about 15 - 20 other Labs and likely doesnt miss me at all.     

32503755_10211759038107073_8031965658180747264_n.jpg

Allie is the cutest. :) That's awesome that she has a trainer to occupy her and I agree it is tight quarters. It brings a smile to my face to see how you both take great care of each other. 

I had a chocolate lab, Lucy Jane, and I miss her dearly.  She agitated my allergies slightly but kept it under control with meds as she was worth it. :)

167889_10150126125733993_2031851_n.jpg

165754_10150126120248993_8024595_n.jpg

169034_10150140795748993_7906785_n.jpg

Edited by LoveTheSoul
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, thephantomsgirl said:

jaggermedisney.jpg

OMG! Beautiful dog! I totally understand a service dog is working. Other than complementing the dog to the owner, I would never approach the animal.  As you know, a true service animal does not just use the bathroom anywhere. It is my understanding that is part of their training. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have no issue with service animals. My issue is with owners that are too lazy to properly train their pets. If you are going to pass your pet off as a service animal you should, at the very least, potty train them. Just out of curiosity, as a service dog owner, do you find it offensive when pets are bogusly called service animals or ESA? Just wondering. In this day & age when people are taking advantage of the system, I wonder if it affects the actual service animals & their owners?

• Like 1